Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Rattled the windows at the Station. We all went " WTF was THAT!" My medic went outside to look around, but it was across the lagoon....

My regular Firefighter was on a tractor on the Space Center mowing, his part time job. He got rocked....

Well, that's going to set them back a day or two....

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder what kind of dirt that rocket had on HRC.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
"SpaceX can confirm that in preparation for today's static fire, there
was an anomaly on the pad resulting in the loss of the vehicle and its
payload. Per standard procedure, the pad was clear and there were no
injuries."
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I'm really rooting for SpaceX.  This will really put a question mark on the viability of re-use rockets.  However, without failure, exceptional gains in knowledge can't be gained.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Do we know for sure what pad this was on?  I'm assuming LC40 not LC39A?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Challenge for you.  Located video of the first stage a short period before and after the explosion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Isn't this a re-use? If so, that really sucks. Even more, I mean.
View Quote

Nope, don't believe this was the re-fly mission.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"SpaceX can confirm that in preparation for today's static fire, there was an anomaly on the pad resulting in the loss of the vehicle and its payload. Per standard procedure, the pad was clear and there were no injuries."
View Quote

I will await secondary confirmation that the payload was attached.  My thought was that the payload and possibly second stage were attached after the first stage test firing.  Yes I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

SLC-40

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"SpaceX can confirm that in preparation for today's static fire, there was an anomaly on the pad resulting in the loss of the vehicle and its payload. Per standard procedure, the pad was clear and there were no injuries."
View Quote

And it's payload? Well shit, so much for the early reports, lost entire rocket, playload and damaged pad. Not good, the rocket alone is over 60 million, the satellites are usually in the same ballpark, the launch pad may be cheaper though,  I'm guessing 150-200 million in losses. Glad I'm not their insurer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

SLC-40

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SLC-40

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1. AMOS and second stage were NOT integrated2. Explosion occurred at T-3 minutes3. T/E is still standing4. Explosion appears fairly localized5. No reported casualties

View Quote

T-3min means it probably wasn't a rocket issue but a fueling issue.

Source: I am a 1995 Space Camp graduate
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And it's payload? Well shit, so much for the early reports, lost entire rocket, playload and damaged pad. Not good, the rocket alone is over 60 million, the satellites are usually in the same ballpark, the launch pad may be cheaper though,  I'm guessing 150-200 million in losses. Glad I'm not their insurer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt any company would write policy would they?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I bet somebody left it in Luducius Mode during the test and a Merlin got stuck in a hyper loop.  This  lead to this rocket not loving the barge.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Damn they blew up half of Florida.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Launch window: 0700-0900 GMT (3:00-5:00 a.m. EDT)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Amos 6 communications satellite for Spacecom of Israel. Amos 6 will provide communications and broadcast services over a coverage area stretching from the U.S. Coast to Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Amos 6 will also support the Israeli government’s satellite communications needs.

Source

Why are people thinking it was a Facebook payload.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of these launches are insured and are a big part of the launch cost.  There has been a lot of debate on how reused boosters will be insured because it had never been done before.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#18]
PIXELS or Contact ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is a real thing
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Does this mean I'm haunting GD?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sad for SpaceX, but fuck Facebook.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Spaceflight Now
   ?@SpaceflightNow

SpaceX has confirmed the loss of both the Falcon 9 rocket and its $200 million payload in today’s explosion at the launch pad.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#25]
snippage
Without getting into why I know its a reuse, lets just go ahead and agree with me for the time being. Information coming in right now is that its a reuse.

My SWAG is you may be part of some security somewhere in Florida
View Quote

<cough> Canaveral <cough> As an aside, I have to wonder: who's Zuckerberg's target market for Book of Faces in sub-Saharan Africa? South Africa and Nigeria? I can't see a lot of demand for the Zuck in Burkina Faso or Swaziland.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I will await secondary confirmation that the payload was attached.  My thought was that the payload and possibly second stage were attached after the first stage test firing.  Yes I could be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Peter B. de Selding
   ?@pbdes
13 minutes ago

Spacecom of Israel confirms its Amos-6 satellite was in fact on board the Falcon 9 that exploded during static test today.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Spaceflight Now    ?@SpaceflightNow

SpaceX has confirmed the loss of both the Falcon 9 rocket and its $200 million payload in today’s explosion at the launch pad.

Ouch.  That'll cause premiums to go up a bit.  Hopefully we can see a quick return to flight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#28]
lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Per radio chatter: large debris on pad A road. EOD called to check and remove.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Good point, how much does it cost to hang a bird and just to service that part of the world, hmmm, NSA?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#33]
So something happened that popped the rocket with the Israeli satcom payload on it? I get that rockets are finicky creatures, but that seems a little fucky.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Shit, I was hoping to go to Mars this year for vacay
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#35]

That was some interval after the first explosion.  I wonder if that was an explosion of storage tanks.  Or maybe the second stage if the first stage was involved in the first explosion.

At this point, I have no idea what blew up first if it happened at T-3 minutes.  Are they still loading propellants then?  During the static fire, do the loading hoses remain attached?  When do those hoses disconnect from the first and second stages?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Eric Berger
   ?
   @SciGuySpace

So per @SpaceX, the issue was not with the rocket itself, but a pad anomaly. Bad news is that the payload (Amos 6 satellite) was lost.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Damn, I'm really rooting for SpaceX.  This will really put a question mark on the viability of re-use rockets.  However, without failure, exceptional gains in knowledge can't be gained.
View Quote
Pretty sure the Space Shuttle program reused rocket parts all the time, even aside from the shuttle. Weren't the solid rocket boosters always recovered and refurbished?

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Check the SpaceX twitter account which confirms what I said.  Is SpaceX lying?

Twitter account

SpaceX  "First launch of flight-proven first stage will use CRS-8 booster that delivered Dragon to @Space_Station in April"

Musk  "Thanks for the longstanding faith in SpaceX. We very much look forward to doing this milestone flight with you."

SES  "SES-10 will #launch on @SpaceX flight-proven Falcon-9 rocket http://ow.ly/rKO7303Ivkj  #BeamsOnLATAM"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without getting into why I know its a reuse, lets just go ahead and agree with me for the time being. Information coming in right now is that its a reuse.

I posted a thread recently where it was reported (as noted above) that SES 10 would be the first payload launch on a reused first stage.

I'd guess someone on the ground now would know more than a report on the web.

Check the SpaceX twitter account which confirms what I said.  Is SpaceX lying?

Twitter account

SpaceX  "First launch of flight-proven first stage will use CRS-8 booster that delivered Dragon to @Space_Station in April"

Musk  "Thanks for the longstanding faith in SpaceX. We very much look forward to doing this milestone flight with you."

SES  "SES-10 will #launch on @SpaceX flight-proven Falcon-9 rocket http://ow.ly/rKO7303Ivkj  #BeamsOnLATAM"

LOL
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#40]
OCISLY and companion craft appear to be heading back to Port Canaveral. http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:76547322145/zoom:8
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Eric Berger    ?    @SciGuySpace

So per @SpaceX, the issue was not with the rocket itself, but a pad anomaly. Bad news is that the payload (Amos 6 satellite) was lost.

View Quote

I hope that this is the case and return to flight will be quick.  I wonder if they have another pad for the Falcon Heavy and if it can be used to launch the Falcon 9.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
That was some interval after the first explosion.  I wonder if that was an explosion of storage tanks.  Or maybe the second stage if the first stage was involved in the first explosion.

At this point, I have no idea what blew up first if it happened at T-3 minutes.  Are they still loading propellants then?  During the static fire, do the loading hoses remain attached?  When do those hoses disconnect from the first and second stages?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

T-3 propellant should be done loading and should be getting close to engine chill.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Now the question is can they finish pad 39A or fix pad 40 first?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Theres been some secondaries exploding on the pad that's inhibiting responders.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Pretty sure the Space Shuttle program reused rocket parts all the time, even aside from the shuttle. Weren't the solid rocket boosters always recovered and refurbished?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  But not refurbished as a "whole".  The case segments would be refurbed and then flew with other case segments from various other shuttle flights.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Poor Mark Z  

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

BOOM called it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It was supposed to launch Facebooks satellite Sunday. hopefully the satellite was not aboard. I am guessing it was not.
View Quote

it was...
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/01/a-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-just-exploded-at-cape-canaveral/
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is a real thing

That seems like a sucker bet for a insurance company to take

nationwide is on your side
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Poor Mark Z  

View Quote

My info states that it was an Israeli payload.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top