BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would say that it's just natural curiosity. https://i.postimg.cc/Fsk5MRX1/Shrug.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question:  Why does anyone care what Jesus looked like?  How does his appearance have any impact on his message?

I would say that it's just natural curiosity. https://i.postimg.cc/Fsk5MRX1/Shrug.gif

Good answer.  I suspect a lot of paintings and images of Jesus over the centuries have been motivated by politics of one sort or another.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Here are some mosaics from a synagogue in Galilee,  before the rise of Islam

https://www.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/75A3929-Capricorn-PR-v3-and-v4-cropped-2700-pix-1200x675.jpg

https://img.haarets.co.il/img/1.7450083/1319002230.jpg

They look pretty close to white. The Arab conquests really changed the region
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our mental picture of middle eastern and Mediterranean people, is literally colored by the Post Jesus Muslim conquest.  We know exactly what the ancient Greeks and early Romans looked like.   Did the ancient Jews leave similar sculptures?  I don’t recall.

Here are some mosaics from a synagogue in Galilee,  before the rise of Islam

https://www.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/75A3929-Capricorn-PR-v3-and-v4-cropped-2700-pix-1200x675.jpg

https://img.haarets.co.il/img/1.7450083/1319002230.jpg

They look pretty close to white. The Arab conquests really changed the region

You may have a point. I note a lot of reddish brown hair in the larger mosaic. There are a lot of redhead Isrealis these days. I believe the term i heard is "gingique"? Not sure of spelling. Lighter features in modern Jews might also be attributed to groups that returned with extensive European DNA as the new state of Isreal was created.  A former coworker of mine, a light colored fellow of Dutch Jewish descent, moved to live in Isreal back around 2000. He had almost blond hair.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Some years back, an anthropologist did a reconstruction from the the skull of an 1st century Jewish man from what is now Israel, to show what Jesus may have looked like.  There was an emphasis on hair length and beard types that were typical from that period.  

There were a lot of (appropriate, in my opinion) comments about the "duh" expression this anthropologist put on the someone considered by over a billion people to be the son of God and the Messiah.  The bottom picture is similar but much more "Messianic" looking.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42575/_87264971_jesus_bbc_jpg-2215327.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42575/bas-uterwijk-jesus-1_jpg-2215330.JPG
View Quote

Another version:

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If he can rise from the dead I don't care what color zombie he was
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jewish people back then are different than what people think. Most people think of jewish being the jews of european descent.
View Quote

The people of the Middle East are not the same people today either so they can't be used as a example of what Jesus would have looked like. When the Arab Muslims over ran the Middle East in the 600s, they not only raped everything in sight themselves, but they started the black slave trade and brought slaves with them to the area from East Africa. The average person in Iraq is 20% black due to that, Palestine is up to 15%, that's the general trend. There are other blood lines that came in as well.

On the other hand, the Christian-heavy parts of the ME didn't trade in black slaves even though they were under the Muslim boot. They paid the Dhimmi poll tax for being non Muslim and then were left alone in their villages. That includes Syria and Lebanon until a few centuries ago. If you look at Assad of Syria he looks like a southern Italian with blue eyes. His background is Shia Muslim but there is a high chance that his recent ancestors converted from Christianity so that they could advance in life - under Sharia law, non-Muslims can't have any position of power over a Muslim, so to advance means converting...

I'm not saying Jesus looked like a white guy, but he certainly wasn't black or dark brown. Not that it should matter but it's brought up a lot thanks to the left and Democrat media harping on about "white Jesus" and trying to make it one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I always figured he was kind of a swarthy dude.

View Quote

Master with a nailgun too apparently.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Point of fact, if there were such a person (this is not nearly as certain a fact as many people think).
View Quote

When I was an atheist, I too believed what you said.  Then I researched on my own, instead of believing other’s montra.  The evidence is irrefutable that he was real, that he existed during the time frame documented.  That he fulfilled the prophecies written hundreds to thousands of years before he appeared.

It’s up to us whether we accept who he says he was.  “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When I was an atheist, I too believed what you said.  Then I researched on my own, instead of believing other’s montra.  The evidence is irrefutable that he was real, that he existed during the time frame documented.  That he fulfilled the prophecies written hundreds to thousands of years before he appeared.

It’s up to us whether we accept who he says he was.  “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Point of fact, if there were such a person (this is not nearly as certain a fact as many people think).

Yea this is definitely the one thing that is a fact: Jesus was a real person who did really exist and went though everything it says he went through.

Who he was and why he suffered that way could theoretically be the only thing up for debate.

There are so many millions of people against the idea of him, it would have been proven without a doubt he never existed, if it were really true.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:35:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, just like the people living Here look like American Indians!

C’mon dude, you can’t just skip over 2020 years of mass migration, pestilence, rape, slavery, genocide and rape, to make things easier on your brain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious answer, probably like the people that live in that area today.

C’mon dude, you can’t just skip over 2020 years of mass migration, pestilence, rape, slavery, genocide and rape, to make things easier on your brain.
That had been going on a long time before 0 AD.  
So what color do you think he was?
@BillofRights
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@BillofRights
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious answer, probably like the people that live in that area today.

@BillofRights

We know what the jews of that area looked like.  It’s not controversial.   This has already been explained extensively in this thread.  Like this, but more likely brown eyes.
 Jesus weeps at the utter ignorance and distain for history.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Like other poster mentioned, he looked like everyone else around him, so middle eastern ethnicity.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top