Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Plant incense bamboo along the property line (with containment).

Evergreen
Grows 35+ feet tall in your climate.
2+ inch thick stalks will be useful to harvest in a few years
Grows extremely densely (was originally called Congesta for this habit), no kids will be cutting through. Dense growth will also muffle playground noise
It's bamboo and damn near unkillable and will quickly fill.in any gaps that develop. No problems years from now with dead plants putting holes in your privacy hedge
Plus fresh shoots give off a nice subtle sandalwood-like smell in the spring (hence the name)

Just make sure you have a sturdy barrier all the way around to at least 2 foot depth
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah no kidding. Even paid a premium for the property because of what he was told by the developer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good grief. 

The OP didn't move next to an airport, gun range, asphalt plant, etc, etc, and now wants it closed.  He moved next to a empty green belt, was told it would stay a green belt, and now they're building on it and he is unhappy.  See the difference?  
Yeah no kidding. Even paid a premium for the property because of what he was told by the developer.
Paying a premium, for what you expect of future use of land that isn't included in the sale, is nothing more than speculation.   If a verbal claim wasn't put in writing in the contract for the sale of the house (or restrictions similar to what other have suggested that the OP look for at the county office), good luck in enforcing it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Plant incense bamboo along the property line (with containment).

Evergreen
Grows 35+ feet tall in your climate.
2+ inch thick stalks will be useful to harvest in a few years
Grows extremely densely (was originally called Congesta for this habit), no kids will be cutting through. Dense growth will also muffle playground noise

Just make sure you have a sturdy barrier all the way around to at least 2 foot depth
View Quote
When I was looking into buying some bamboo, the recommendation I saw was 3 foot depth (metal or solid masonry, no plastic).
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Get some free-range pitbulls.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I normally don't jump on the "it's for the children" bandwagon, but would you rather your neighborhood kids sit around and turn into electronic zombies or worse, commit crimes instead of having a place to play?

Sounds really stupid to try to fight a playground because "muh privacy."
View Quote
I'll fight a fucking playground. You watch. I'll punch it right in its stupid mouth.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
One of our local club ranges had a development built around it.  It's literally a shooting range in a donut hole of a development.  The builders told the buyers not to worry, that the range was being shut down.  That was 15-20 years ago and there was never any plan to close the range.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#8]
My personal opinion is that it sucks for you, but you are going to have to live with it.  You knew there was an opportunity for that land to be used at some point.  You chose to buy anyway.  Just so happens who owns that land decided to use it for something you don't approve of and quicker than you thought it would happen.  That is a you problem.

Similar thing is happening in my neighborhood right now.  There is a park on one side and 3 empty privately owned lots that some people mow a little path through so you can take a shortcut walk over to the park.  The park is owned by a local fire dept and has been there for at least 5 years.  There is an easement on of the properties (not the mowed one) to get from our neighborhood to the park.  The fire dept. decided they were now going to use that easement and make a permanent path to the park from our area.  Well, the house that is right next to it is throwing an ever loving fit, saying (just as you ... that they lose privacy, concerned about foot traffic and noise) of this said path and are trying to get others in the area to contact the fire dept to oppose.  Same as here for you, he knew that easement was there before he built his house he just thought it would never get used.  Rolled the dice and lost.  That, once again is a you problem is what I told him.  If he didn't know about the easement, that is also his problem as he should have researched more.  

I hate this victim mentality by most when it is clearly your own fault.  Now you choice is to live with it or move.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#9]
A developer lied?

Whoah.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Old political trick:   Construct a carefully worded letter alluding to a cover-up or some kind of pay-off skullduggery, etc.  Follow the money.  Maybe there's an under the table deal going on, i.e., relative of developer.  Cameras are everywhere, so use a disguise.  Get on the elevator at a local news station and discretely drop the letter in the elevator.  Wait for the rumor mill to erupt.  Just a folded letter, no envelope.  Type "CONFIDENTIAL" in large font on back of the folded letter.  What news creep could resist that?  Ha  Maybe someone has evidence of an Indian burial ground there and trying to keep it quiet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also used for flood control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the wife and I moved into our current home about 3 years ago. We picked the lot as their was greenbelt on the side and behind where we'd only have 1 direct neighbor.  

The water district owns the land and has basically told us all individually to screw off after we've voiced our concerns and complaints.
What's a greenbelt?

What's a water district?
The city has to pipe in the water. So there is a big pipe under ground that no one can build over.

Looks funny in a developed area because there are houses everywhere except where this pipe lays.

It looks like a ski run through a neighborhood. Houses and fenced yards on each side with a 100 foot wide strip of grass between.
Also used for flood control.
Yup. Saw that happen here in Cranston,  RI 1996.

A 102" main burst on slope (a hill,  for those ARF racists) and it flooded a huge part of town.

Apartments were flooded half way up the ground level. Below grade apartments were under water.

Retail in the area got the same treatment.

People were using jet skis and flat bottom boats to get around.

In the end ON ONE got paid.

Insurance companies, flood insured. They said it wasn't a flood. The water company said it was and said call your insurance company.

Typical RI bullshit. A lot of people lost everything.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So the wife and I moved into our current home about 3 years ago. We picked the lot as their was greenbelt on the side and behind where we'd only have 1 direct neighbor.  Its been fantastic, we have a nice private feel in the back yard without a bunch of noise.  Keep in mind when we started this process we specifically inquired about any intended use for the greenbelt on the side and were told it would remain undeveloped and if anything it may eventually contain a footpath back to the walking trails (but no playground).

Skip forward to this week and a MASSIVE playground structure is being erected, despite anger from ALL of the immediately surrounding neighbors (of the 4 houses most impacted there are 11 children).  The concern is not only that this playground will bring additional foot and car traffic through what was previously a very very quite section at the back of the neighborhood, but also the noise it will generate, the loss of privacy in the back yard areas (which we and our neighbors paid a premium for).  One neighbor has this thing 20 ft from his property and it will be able to look directly into the windows of their kitchen, bedroom and office as well as full view of their yard (no privacy at all).   There are several other green areas designated as "parks" that would have been a better fit for this thing without negatively impacting the surrounding neighbors.   I think there's some shenanigans going on with how this spot was selected, but even at the meetings the discussion fell on deaf ears.  The water district owns the land and has basically told us all individually to screw off after we've voiced our concerns and complaints.

In Texas and wondering what you all recommend to decrease usage and make this thing unattractive to the neighborhood.  I'm thinking standing in my yard with an AK slung across my back and pistol on hip while staring menacingly at everyone over there in between breaks of frantically pacing around my yard would work to some degree but I can't always be out there.

I've had grandiose thoughts of destruction and vandalism but want to explore options that keep me on the right side of the law.
View Quote

Theres your answer.

Put up some privacy fencing or hedges.

It will likely increase your property value. Great time to move if it bothers you that much.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Back in the day they put in a kiosk that would have established a pay to park area on our beach.
Nobody wanted it but our protest fell upon deaf ears.

They put it in anyway.
2 days later it was in the harbor.
They put in another one.
One day later it was in the harbor.
This went on for a couple more times.

They finally gave up and went away.

This was a long time ago and they still fear to put one up.
View Quote

Governments tend to love escalation and hard headedness.

Most municipalities would rather pay 24/7 security than be forced to back down on any issue, no matter how slight. They'd also make the foundation of that kiosk so deep and heavy that it'd be impossible to move it without a demolition crew and heavy equipment.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Park this next to it:

Ed
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
LoL.   Arfcom always provides the answer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#16]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
In before op is arrested for menacing children with firearms?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The neighbors in this area are constantly outside visiting/watching as kids play, run around, ride bikes, throw balls, etc. This park will add nothing to their or our enjoyment and instead will make the area more dangerous due to increased vehicle traffic as well as less visibility on the street due to cars parked up and down both sides.
View Quote
Except it will be safe .  play on what seems like really cool  climbing towers. if there is high as you say they are that would be awesome.

forgot to ask and you will have young children. sure they would love a park. much thought because my
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We bought a house for the greenspace around it.  Nice prairie grass wild area.  Only now one of the far neighbors decided to claim it as his lawn and now mows it right up to my yard.  Confronted him on it and he doesn't seem to think he's doing anything wrong.  Feels he's entitled to 'claim' that land since 'nobody else claimed it'.

I was a snitch and dropped a dime to the city.  They acknowledge that people shouldn't be doing that, yet on the other hand implied they got bigger things on their plate to worry about.

Seems I live in a neighborhood of expansionists as he ain't the only one.  One guy built a fence a foot onto his neighbor's property.  Another took the initiative of doing some landscaping mulch beds around his neighbor's trees.
View Quote
Maybe he is Spanish.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You better hope they don't put in a basketball court.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Acquaintance of mine bought a nice new home next to a "horse pasture".  Loved the views.  After 10 years of living there the horse pasture became a Wal-Mart.  24/7 parking lot with lights on all night.

Lesson learned: if you don't own the adjacent land and it's vacant, always assume the worst going into it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You better hope they don't put in a basketball court.
View Quote
Or a skate park
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]
What are you worried about? Everyone knows kids these days never play outside anyway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is more than one county in GA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I look at houses for sale in my county, more than 87% are in subdivisions. 
There is more than one county in GA.
True, but only one has houses that are less than 20 minutes away from my work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The city has to pipe in the water. So there is a big pipe under ground that no one can build over.

Looks funny in a developed area because there are houses everywhere except where this pipe lays.

It looks like a ski run through a neighborhood. Houses and fenced yards on each side with a 100 foot wide strip of grass between.
View Quote
You probably want to check the easement restrictions then. It's unlikely that the water district owns the ground, they tend to avoid that due to tax issues.

If the HOA is putting up the playground, ask to see a copy of the liability insurance, the residents after all will be liable when little Johnny falls off and scrapes his knee. You can probably find cases of multi million $$$ payouts if you look hard enough.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Better a playground than section eight housing. Put up a fence, plant some fast growing evergreens or bamboo and forget about it. Only real problem I'd have with it would be a basketball court. Might as well get used to it cause there isn't anything you can do.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Kingwood or Woodlands?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like it's time for a HOA to be formed....
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Idea be busting out the ranger panties on the daily. Mowing, barbecuing, sun bathing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

not sure what you mean by high density housing. these are 70ft lots so lower density than what i moved from. I believe the developer has changed 3x so that's probably where the varying master plans are coming from.
View Quote
70' foot lots and you're bitching about privacy?

My house is 85' long.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Until some innocent kid gets impaled by bamboo shoots.

Nice idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BETTER IDEA

Plant a shitton of fast growing bamboo. The playground will quite literally be a jungle gym in no time.
Until some innocent kid gets impaled by bamboo shoots.

Nice idea.
Pffft!

Blame that shit on the Cong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:In Texas and wondering what you all recommend to decrease usage and make this thing unattractive to the neighborhood.  I'm thinking standing in my yard with an AK slung across my back and pistol on hip while staring menacingly at everyone over there in between breaks of frantically pacing around my yard would work to some degree but I can't always be out there.

I've had grandiose thoughts of destruction and vandalism but want to explore options that keep me on the right side of the law.
View Quote

Does your wife know actually realize what a fricken idiot you are?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are 70ft lots so lower density than what i moved from.
This.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#35]
There are two sides to this coin.

There's a young family with 3 kids looking for a great place with a park nearby.

See this an opportunity.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Double tap
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not your land. Deal with it. Next time don't trust vague unenforceable promises.
View Quote
Unfortunately, this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not your land. Deal with it. Next time don't trust vague unenforceable promises.
View Quote
This. Unless it's protected government land anyting can happen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#39]
It sounds like you and your 4 neighbors should of all chipped in and bought the land before dividing it up equally, to control it.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#40]
The neigh or should build a fence or stfu
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#41]
lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Indian artifacts or protected rare mouse with hanta virus.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#43]
"In Texas and wondering what you all recommend to decrease usage and make this thing unattractive to the neighborhood. I'm thinking standing in my yard with an AK slung across my back and pistol on hip while staring menacingly at everyone over there in between breaks of frantically pacing around my yard would work to some degree but I can't always be out there."

Grow up.

I question if you are mature enough to own guns.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
we had a lawyer friend suggest this. I may try to convince the neighbor to put it in his yard, but if it comes down to it I'll probably bite the bullet and post up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
we had a lawyer friend suggest this. I may try to convince the neighbor to put it in his yard, but if it comes down to it I'll probably bite the bullet and post up
Among with multiple fake security cameras with long lenses facing directly at the individual playground attractions. A telescope or spotting scope on the back porch world be handy too. Can you acquire a mannequin? Sit it behind the windows facing the park with a realistic dildo sticking out of the pants. You could try putting a blow up doll on a flagpole too. Hang small panties on the fence as well. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My house is 85' long.
View Quote
The old PA double wide double long?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.  If you want to control the land you have to own it.
View Quote
Buy it and put in shooting range. Or check zoning laws.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm sure the local gov will happily scrap their new playground because some guy is butthurt.
View Quote
Or find an endangered animal!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My house is 85' long.
View Quote
Holy shit, don't know how I missed that.

Back wall on our house is 75' long.

Someone owns a tiny little lot and is bitching because someone better than them is trying to make a park for kids to play in?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Is privacy the main thing that you are wanting?
Why are you in a neighborhood?

So you like having the amenities of a neighborhood.

Assurances don't come in writing.  

Build a fence

Move
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Do you own a van?  And some candy......
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top