[#1]
T-72 turret maybe??
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
T-72 turret maybe??
View Quote

That'd get a little heavy to carry around...
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fuck that.

you are constantly getting hit from behind
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Fuck that.

Watching the pole axes dent their helmets is crazy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would say a sword just because you might scare off your attackers when you draw it. That's what a friend of mine did overseas when people were trying to break into his place.

That's because they were cheap and worked better in ancient military formations.
View Quote
They were cheaper, yes

But there was also a time when militaries were investing heavily in armor, so the cost of a sword as the main weapon vs a spear would have been inconsequential, and still spears/polearms were the weapon of choice.  This wasn't only in Europe, but also in Japan and India.

Also, formations always worked better than lack of formation regardless of weaponry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Purely in the name of research, and partially because we needed kindling, I took my Gransfors Bruk splitting maul out to the side yard and ran some simulations against a stand of threatening locust trees. This particular maul has a 31" hickory handle and a 5-1/2 pound steel head, with sledge on one side and an ax blade on the other. Appearance wise, it's a fearsome weapon.

I was going off my continued assumption that Amazon Prime delivery will be severely limited post-apocalypse, and most people will be fighting with what's in their garden shed, rather than the exotic/esoteric weapons ya'll keep suggesting (though God knows I believe there's plenty of dorks enthusiasts on this site with broadswords and pikes). I mean, don't get me wrong, the Japanese did some fine work on metal folding and razor edges, but most of it seems more appropriate to stir fry than melee. Gransfors Bruk isn't exactly household either, got that, but the Scando's did do some pioneering work in chopping/clubbing people who had things they wanted at one point, and I figured their expertise shouldn't go to waste.

Anyway, my conclusion was the weapon has to be appropriate to the physique and endurance of the berserker yielding it. A five pound head yields an absolutely devastating crush if it lands, but the momentum is difficult if not impossible to arrest unless you're extremely strong. You miss, you get shishkabobed. Ever held a guidon at the horizontal at a change of command? That pike or spear gets really heavy, really fast in a fight. Good luck against multiple trees opponents.

With a cheap, lead-weighted, Wally-world throw net to entangle your pike, I'm still gonna have your guts-for-garters with my machete.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of these in my truck. I wouldn't want to get hit with it.

Trucker's Friend
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#8]
At 74 dollars, you could afford a few spares.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1917 naval cutlass would be handier than a spear inside houses or vehicles.

http://www.coldsteel.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/480x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/8/8/88cs.jpg
View Quote

Reminds me of this:
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fuck that.

View Quote

FB friend got his helmet pulled forward as an axe was coming down, was a few mm from dying and had to stay in the hospital a few days...

He has golden luck (and a blood / brain juice stained armor).

Found the video, NB: not for the weak of heart!
https://www.facebook.com/ethan.wilhelm.71/videos/10157607954470521/
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Addy from ZNation.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Cold Steel sells this 37-inch long "Sword Breaker" from it's Steven Seagal collection  (trying to be serious here...)

Is it useful / practical?  Or just Hollywood (Russia now apparently) hype?

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Naginata are what happened when a Samurai's sword broke. They'd take what was left of the broken blade and tie it to the end of a stick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Naginata are what happened when a Samurai's sword broke. They'd take what was left of the broken blade and tie it to the end of a stick.

Nope. Primary weapon, Samurai were like medieval knights they were primary horsemen and archers believe it or not. The Katana/Wakasashi were the big status symbols. The naginata was used to scythe through infantry from horseback by samurai.

Quoted:

I'm geeky enough to be reading way too far into this thread than any self righteous man should, but are you ultra geeks really arguing bout this?
Realistically? Most of you LARPERS don't even own half the shit your posting. If shit went down tonight, what do you actually own that fits this threads intent? Me? I have some mean ass cleavers in the kitchen with 550 cord lanyards and a 14" Cutco butcher knife.  Baseball bats, hickory and madrone walking sticks. Y'know, real stuff. Not mail order fantasy playthings.

I have an arming sword (real), carbon steel Katana (wouldn't use for anything other then wall hanger though), and a few practice swords which could take an edge if push came to shove. Thousands of rounds of ammo > swords.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was going off my continued assumption that Amazon Prime delivery will be severely limited post-apocalypse, and most people will be fighting with what's in their garden shed, rather than the exotic/esoteric weapons ya'll keep suggesting (though God knows I believe there's plenty of dorks enthusiasts on this site with broadswords and pikes). I mean, don't get me wrong, the Japanese did some fine work on metal folding and razor edges, but most of it seems more appropriate to stir fry than melee. Gransfors Bruk isn't exactly household either, got that, but the Scando's did do some pioneering work in chopping/clubbing people who had things they wanted at one point, and I figured their expertise shouldn't go to waste.
View Quote

Fuck me, I love this site...
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Halligan tool.

Everything you carry has to have at least two uses.  The more the better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Polearms for the win.  Don't have to be excessively long.

Two of my latest...

Glaives are pretty pimp.

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Gladius
Greek koptis
Tomahawk

Either one of those supplemented with a nice 6" knife.

Spear is out for me unless I have a lot of buddies with spears too.

What would really happen is. I'd walk out to my shed and get my fiskars axe. That would be complemented by my Estwing tomahawk I got at Home Depot and one of the number of fixed blade knives I've gotten over the years.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Spear
Dane Axe
English Billhook / Halberd
One handed sword
Scramasax
Dagger that is diamond shaped, used for piercing, think its a rondel dagger.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#21]
No one has mentioned the Ulfbhert Viking sword? Crucible steel, thin flexible, light at <2 lb, hellaciously sharp. Swords should not be stiff, they should be springy.Making an Ulfberht Docu.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Expandable Baton.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No one has mentioned the Ulfbhert Viking sword? Crucible steel, thin flexible, light at <2 lb, hellaciously sharp. Swords should not be stiff, they should be springy.
View Quote

The steel quality is what made it great, but you can get better quality from steel mills today. There were better swords then the Ulfbhert, there was a kings sword with a braided steel core of malleable steel with hardened outer steel hammer welded on and sharpened.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

for 20 years I was a Supervisor as a Critical Care Blood Bank Technologist/Hematologist at 3 Trauma Centers in OKC and Tulsa.

I've seen alot of shit involving stuff you never think about till you see it. I'm never shocked at the wounds I've seen from butcher knives, axes, hatches....never doubt a humans ability to go savage.
one of the worst knifings I've ever seen was a mexican cook at a mexican restaurant who went Aztec on his co-workers, totally disembowling 1, trying to cut the heart out of another and trying to cut the neck thru and thru on the third.

when humans go savage.. they go in a way that defies imagination.
I could write a 300 page book on things I've seen done to a human body by accident or design and people lived thru it ( in varying degree's of life) or died.

from my experience working on people.
the Eastwing Camp Axe, big roofing hatchet or big straight claw hammers would be the best modern day war club that the average joe could get his hands on in the next 30 minutes in any large city and they would be beautiful to use.  the cold steel gladius would be one of my picks too. from what I have been able to tell the big straight claw hammers are easier to pull out after the deed is done and it has a vicious wound.

I've worked on dozens of people assaulted with hammers and hatchets.
they are VERY and I cannot over emphasis this, VERY efficient at putting someone down and out with 1 blow and the wounds are just nasty as you would expect with either the blunt force trauma or the blade wound.

I have the 2 War Clubs left in my family.
one was made in the late 1800's and looks more ceremonial,  the other was meant for serious business and is a gunstock club that originally had 2 cutting heads and was taken to WWI with my halfbreed Great Grandfather and came back used and bloodied as were most that were taken overseas with the 36th. my son and I have played around with it and both feel that the Camp Axe, Long handled roofing hatchet or big hammer would be a better instrument of war.

my son has several of the Cold Steel stuff and the Rifleman's Hawk, Trench Hawk and the War Hawk are pretty handy tools.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Service rifle with bayonet.
It's a spear that shoots frickin' bullets. How cool is that?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for 20 years I was a Supervisor as a Critical Care Blood Bank Technologist/Hematologist at 3 Trauma Centers in OKC and Tulsa.

I've seen alot of shit involving stuff you never think about till you see it. I'm never shocked at the wounds I've seen from butcher knives, axes, hatches....never doubt a humans ability to go savage.
one of the worst knifings I've ever seen was a mexican cook at a mexican restaurant who went Aztec on his co-workers, totally disembowling 1, trying to cut the heart out of another and trying to cut the neck thru and thru on the third.

when humans go savage.. they go in a way that defies imagination.
I could write a 300 page book on things I've seen done to a human body by accident or design and people lived thru it ( in varying degree's of life) or died.

from my experience working on people.
the Eastwing Camp Axe, big roofing hatchet or big straight claw hammers would be the best modern day war club that the average joe could get his hands on in the next 30 minutes in any large city and they would be beautiful to use.  the cold steel gladius would be one of my picks too. from what I have been able to tell the big straight claw hammers are easier to pull out after the deed is done and it has a vicious wound.

I've worked on dozens of people assaulted with hammers and hatchets.
they are VERY and I cannot over emphasis this, VERY efficient at putting someone down and out with 1 blow and the wounds are just nasty as you would expect with either the blunt force trauma or the blade wound.

I have the 2 War Clubs left in my family.
one was made in the late 1800's and looks more ceremonial,  the other was meant for serious business and is a gunstock club that originally had 2 cutting heads and was taken to WWI with my halfbreed Great Grandfather and came back used and bloodied as were most that were taken overseas with the 36th. my son and I have played around with it and both feel that the Camp Axe, Long handled roofing hatchet or big hammer would be a better instrument of war.

my son has several of the Cold Steel stuff and the Rifleman's Hawk, Trench Hawk and the War Hawk are pretty handy tools.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35784/hammer-time-117604.JPG

I would buy the book if you wrote one. That is all quite interesting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kukri
View Quote

Only if it has a ghurka attached...
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I dunno. Brick got pretty good results with a trident and a hand grenade.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would buy the book if you wrote one. That is all quite interesting.
View Quote

my friends both in the medical field and outside of it have all encouraged me to do it. but I have too many hobbies. maybe once my son goes off the college.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

tell me about that cold steel war club.

is it balanced? I have never seen one live and in color.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought one of these ditch bank cutters for the end of days.  It works pretty good in trimming ditches.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#33]
callin' these guys:

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
An angry Great Dane.
View Quote
Assuming he bothers getting up from his nap.........
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Another vote for polearms. Make mine a Bohemian Earspoon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I bought one of these ditch bank cutters for the end of days.  It works pretty good in trimming ditches.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35058/s-l1000-117676.JPG
View Quote

I call it a kaiser blade, mm hmm.

ETA: It's just a short handled glaive.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An angry Great Dane.
Or something something goose something something bureau something something. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I've got one.  It's a pretty serious weapon.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've got one.  It's a pretty serious weapon.
View Quote

Sure, but aside from not showering for a week, whaddya got to show?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#41]
A short, "Gladius" style sword in one hand and a tomahawk/light axe in the other.

Or...if you're a fucking master of Kali/Escrima/Silat like myself....a large knife and a sword will do just fucking fine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The steel quality is what made it great, but you can get better quality from steel mills today. There were better swords then the Ulfbhert, there was a kings sword with a braided steel core of malleable steel with hardened outer steel hammer welded on and sharpened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one has mentioned the Ulfbhert Viking sword? Crucible steel, thin flexible, light at <2 lb, hellaciously sharp. Swords should not be stiff, they should be springy.

You just described how alot of viking swords were made (pattern welding)
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I offer the rubber tube filled with as many small gauge copper wires as can be stuffed inside.  I prefer two knots or bosses on the outer surface of the tube: one to gimble the swings of the tube and the other for helping prevent the tube from slipping from the hand.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#44]
If we're talking one ultimate do it all general purpose mêlée weapon, Zulu style Assegai takes it.

If we're getting into knives/swords for mêlée, the Filipinos (Moros especially) brought them to their design apex.  Kris, Kampilan, Pira, Panabas, Barong and Punal......they improved on the Karambit too..... no better bladed weapons exist on earth IMO.....only vintage Katana and vintage mid 19th century bowie knives come close.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:09:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have one of these in my truck. I wouldn't want to get hit with it.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1083/1014/products/truckers-friend_1024x1024.jpg?v=1481160504

Trucker's Friend
View Quote

I really like my Dead-On Annhilator.  The curved part is a "drywall axe", with a rather dull cutting edge, one of these days I'd like to get around to putting decent grind and edge on it.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:32:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sure, but aside from not showering for a week, whaddya got to show?
View Quote

Why wouldn't I shower?  Oh, because I bought a toy weapon.  And posted about it.  On a forum dedicated to toy weapons.  Got it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:55:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
With armor, yes.  Without armor, sword and shield.  
View Quote

you will be armored.  if nothing else, you will be wearing a plate carrier filled with HDPE cutting boards along with a pair of football shoulder pads, all reinforced with appliques of tread from steel belted radials.  

polearms are the way to go--lugged spear, glaive, or poleaxe/halberd.  the former two are faster, and the latter is better at AP.

a sword would be a PDW, not a primary weapon.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:56:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Medieval two-handed sword is way too heavy, might as well use a battle ax.
View Quote

silliness.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:57:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's really not a huge skillset to use most European blades, basically 8 attacking gestures and their subsequent blocks. Katana's and other single edge curved swords need significantly more practice to use effectively.
View Quote

silliness.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top