BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Streaming is not and was never a fad. The reason it is experiencing a decline is the cable-ization of the services. The content creators wanted more of a piece of the pie, saw the success of streaming, and started their own streaming services. This, of course, completely missed the point for the consumers, which was to pay one (or a few, at most) fee per month to access said content. It very quickly loses appeal when you have to cycle between - and pay for - multiple streaming services.

They will realize that the costs of running a streaming service are high, the tech is hard, and people won't pay for every service for long. It will usher in a new era of piracy, the smart companies will shut down their proprietary streaming services and consolidate again (aka the Netflix model) and we'll be right back to where we were.

Too many old execs at legacy media companies refuse to see that cable is no longer the way forward and it's the only model that works in their brains. They'll fail.
View Quote

This!  People wanted to be able to access as much content as possible via as few services as possible.  If it was just Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon duking it out, then that would be enough.  But now there's 50 other providers, and they're all pulling content to their own services.  We had to pay for Peacock just to watch The Office, and Disney to watch The Mandalorian.  It's stupid.  I can get on Spotify and listen to anything I could possibly want for a single subscription.  People want that for video as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If ot doesn't come with my amazon prime ,,  I am not streaming, not paying for subscriptions fuck that.

people are broke, wallstreet landlords exploiting an extra $1500 a month has killed that disposable income for other things

also content sucks, new stuff sucks
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
There's two that are on the chopping block at my house, Apple TV and Netflix.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
uhh... nobody wants to cancel cable to save money only to pay similar dollars to other services for less content..

was always a stupid model
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This!  People wanted to be able to access as much content as possible via as few services as possible.  If it was just Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon duking it out, then that would be enough.  But now there's 50 other providers, and they're all pulling content to their own services.  We had to pay for Peacock just to watch The Office, and Disney to watch The Mandalorian.  It's stupid.  I can get on Spotify and listen to anything I could possibly want for a single subscription.  People want that for video as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Streaming is not and was never a fad. The reason it is experiencing a decline is the cable-ization of the services. The content creators wanted more of a piece of the pie, saw the success of streaming, and started their own streaming services. This, of course, completely missed the point for the consumers, which was to pay one (or a few, at most) fee per month to access said content. It very quickly loses appeal when you have to cycle between - and pay for - multiple streaming services.

They will realize that the costs of running a streaming service are high, the tech is hard, and people won't pay for every service for long. It will usher in a new era of piracy, the smart companies will shut down their proprietary streaming services and consolidate again (aka the Netflix model) and we'll be right back to where we were.

Too many old execs at legacy media companies refuse to see that cable is no longer the way forward and it's the only model that works in their brains. They'll fail.

No one has the capability to see all of the closed content gardens. In broadcast terms, the content is now scattered across of these closed gardens.
Well, almost no one

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I think people will cancel a lot but nothing because of woke, because they realize how many subscriptions they have and try to get expenses down.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yup getting ready to prune the selection my self..
View Quote

Plex is a great way to host your own private cloud music.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think people will cancel a lot but nothing because of woke, because they realize how many subscriptions they have and try to get expenses down.
View Quote

Or, look for a stable, reliable alternative at a better price. If it existed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Streaming does not require a VPN. Even from Torrent sources.
Streaming is not illegal. Downloading is.
View Quote

past the point of caring anymore. the government steals from us, people just walk into stores and steal what they like, these movie and tv corps demonize us as white supremacists bent on the destruction of "our democracy" fuck giving them money anymore.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
When you have to cut costs, that's an easy place to start.  We (this country) are getting ready to be in a serious cost-cutting mode.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When you have to cut costs, that's an easy place to start.  We (this country) are getting ready to be in a serious cost-cutting mode.
View Quote

Yep. Down to the bone cost cutting. You don't have to stare at the plaster. Not good for you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Sharing bro!

My household shares Amazon Prime and Fox Nation, and are shared Netflix and Spectrum mobile TV. Combine that with Roku channels, Roku Music, MeTV app, Digital Antenna...  There is still too much to watch and the expense is a quarter what actual cable TV was for _basic_ service.

The thing is, we go a few weeks at a time before going back to revisit any one of the services so if they make sharing harder or we have to drop something it's not missed and it's just not used anymore.  Considering what is happening with food, gas, and every other expense I may just drop the services I pay for when it's time to renew.

Who'da thunk it, luxuries (which is what TV is) get dropped when shit hits the fan in the economy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
A lot of people subscribe to watch a specific show then cancel.  When the next season drops they sub again.  I think it has jackshit to do with politics and more about people understanding that every company has a streaming service now and it's cost prohibitive to sub to them all concurrently.  Just sub to the ones who have the content you want at that time.

Case in point: The Witcher on Netflix.  New season is about to drop.  Binge watch then cancel.  I do the same with Paramount for Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Study: More Than 150 Million People will Cancel a Paid Streaming Subscription in 2022

That sounds like a meltdown to me.  Was it a fad all along, or a sign of the economic times?

A new study predicts more than 150 million people will cancel a paid streaming subscription, like Netflix or Disney+, in the coming year, signaling greater financial uncertainty for studios looking to grow their subscriber bases.
View Quote
View Quote

I think it's partly a sign of the economy.  FSA are flush but people who work for a living are seeing 3% cost of living increases and 10% to 15% real inflation.  They have to cut somewhere.

I think the other part is streaming services forgetting why "cord cutters" left cable and repeating the same mistakes.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#15]
There's quite a torrent of new services. My peers and I are happy with what we have though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Study: More Than 150 Million People will Cancel a Paid Streaming Subscription in 2022

That sounds like a meltdown to me.  Was it a fad all along, or a sign of the economic times?

A new study predicts more than 150 million people will cancel a paid streaming subscription, like Netflix or Disney+, in the coming year, signaling greater financial uncertainty for studios looking to grow their subscriber bases.
View Quote

Consulting firm Deloitte said it predicts that more than 150 million people will cancel a paid streaming subscription in 2022, creating a global churn rate of 30 percent. In the U.S., the churn rate is 38 percent, the firm said in its annual report of tech industry predictions.
View Quote

Churn occurs whenever a subscriber cancels his subscription. “This can be highly problematic for [streaming] providers, which may spend up to $200 to acquire each subscriber, though acquisition costs vary by market,” Deloitte said.
View Quote

As the number of streaming services continues to grow, “the pool of untapped consumers declines, acquisition costs may rise higher still, making retention even more important.”
View Quote

Subscriber growth is the key financial metric, according to Wall Street.

This is the part I agree with:

“many have become overwhelmed by managing and paying for all those subscriptions, and they have become more sensitive to their cost,”
View Quote

I read some months ago that credit card statements have become so clogged with streaming subscriptions for some people that customers can't keep track of their spending easily.

The silver lining is that ...(snip)... more subscriptions will be added than cancelled, causing the average number of subscriptions per person to rise.
View Quote

I disagree with this:  I think consumers are reaching a saturation point, are disgusted with liberal and woke streaming services, and are tired of everything you watch having to have a paid subscription.  Just my humble opinion.

By the way:  I have zero streaming subscriptions.  Zero.  Zilch. Nada.

What's your take?
View Quote

People are realizing they cancelled a $90 cable bill for 5 different $20 bills. If you don’t watch sports or don’t watch shows a lot of women like in your household you can save some money but if your house watches both espn and bravo you end up paying basically the same as with cable for less channels.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#17]
The worst part is that we pay a fortune for a bunch of “streaming” subscriptions and it’s mostly CRAP on every one.

Back in the day NETFLIX was great! Every movie you could think of, including recent releases were delivered on DVD to your mailbox.

This past Thanksgiving Day, we couldn’t even find “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” Just a bunch of dumb movies made in Eastern Europe staring people we never heard of
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
There was a time in this great country when television broadcasts were free. All you needed was a TV and an antenna. Sure, there were only 3 or 4 channels but now we have 500 programs to choose from and all but 3 or 4 are going to be crap anyway.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#19]
will cancel a paid streaming subscription
View Quote

A switch to another one, I turn them on and off all the time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There was a time in this great country when television broadcasts were free. All you needed was a TV and an antenna. Sure, there were only 3 or 4 channels but now we have 500 programs to choose from and all but 3 or 4 are going to be crap anyway.
View Quote

OTA is still free if that's all you want.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#21]
We pay for one month and then cancel all the time just to watch some specific
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The "single channel" streaming services (Discovery+, Paramount, Peacock, CBS, etc.) will fail and have to find new business models.

The services with lots of popular and original content will do fine.
View Quote
I think those single channel services could have done well if they didn't price like a full Netflix subscription. As it is... yeah, fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think those single channel services could have done well if they didn't price like a full Netflix subscription. As it is... yeah, fuck 'em.
View Quote

Agreed. Some of these smaller services need to bring the prices in line with the content. In a perfect world I would love to watch channels a la carte for a dollar or two a piece just to watch certain shows/libraries with no ads. 10 bucks a piece, not so much.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The idea was cutting the cord.
What happened was the single expensive cord was replaced by a bundle of cheap cords, where the cumulative cost is higher than the old one.
And you still really only watch the same handful of "channels".
View Quote

That’s it in a nutshell, at least for me.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How much is cable?

How much is streaming?

View Quote

I just checked my DirecTV bill.   $147/month for three TVs.   Two of which we never watch.  HD but no movie channels.   As soon as fiber is hooked up to my house in the next couple of weeks I'm kicking DTV and ATT to the curb.   I've been researching which way I want to go.   Hulu live + ESPN + Disney is $72/month.   $82 for unlimited screens of streaming. (I have a daughter in college and TV at duck camp)   Netflix is $18/month.   So $100 for about the same amount of TV we have now.   Live TV and local Memphis stations if I want.   I've been with DTV for more than 20 years.   They have never offered or allowed me a discount.   A week after my local power co-op called saying fiber was about ready DTV sent me an email offering me the same service for half the money IF i signed on for two years.   For the last ten years I've lived less than two miles from an ATT fiber junction box thing.  They refuse to upgrade service and I've been stuck with slow DSL.  I'm lucky though many of my friends have no option for home internet.  Anyway, ATT has now decide they may expand fiber coverage now that everyone is bailing for local co-op fiber.   ATT can kiss my ass.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I just checked my DirecTV bill.   $147/month for three TVs.   Two of which we never watch.  HD but no movie channels.   As soon as fiber is hooked up to my house in the next couple of weeks I'm kicking DTV and ATT to the curb.   I've been researching which way I want to go.   Hulu live + ESPN + Disney is $72/month.   $82 for unlimited screens of streaming. (I have a daughter in college and TV at duck camp)   Netflix is $18/month.   So $100 for about the same amount of TV we have now.   Live TV and local Memphis stations if I want.   I've been with DTV for more than 20 years.   They have never offered or allowed me a discount.   A week after my local power co-op called saying fiber was about ready DTV sent me an email offering me the same service for half the money IF i signed on for two years.   For the last ten years I've lived less than two miles from an ATT fiber junction box thing.  They refuse to upgrade service and I've been stuck with slow DSL.  I'm lucky though many of my friends have no option for home internet.  Anyway, ATT has now decide they may expand fiber coverage now that everyone is bailing for local co-op fiber.   ATT can kiss my ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much is cable?

How much is streaming?

Good for you, fuck DTV and ATT
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#27]
This is not new. Throughout history people took the same approach.

Take the Romans for instance, they all thought they needed two horses (some thought four) to
pull their chariot but it turned out they could use one horse and get the same
results.

Even back then people learned not to fall for their shit.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I pay for couple of months on a subscription and watch all the shows then cancel and go to a different one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

was always a stupid model
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Seems like a sensational article title. Of course a shitload of people will cancel subs. It's not like you pay for a year (except Prime). You watch whatever series is worth 10 bucks a month to see and then cancel when it ends or disapoints.

We add and cancel them as "needed".

I watch essentially zero TV. My wife and kids have requests. At the moment we have Prime TV for kids shows and Fubo for Hallmark Christmas movies.

It's also "reconcile expenses" season, so folks are all "oh shit we've been paying for 9 streaming services all year and only really watch 3. Let's save that 60+ bucks each month.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#31]
not a fad

but literally EVERYone has a streaming "service" now.. suddenly xfinity seems like a good system because it at least aggregates them in a coherent way.  no fucking way am I paying $10 a month to 20-30 streaming services and hell yes I am looking to get the wife unit to thin the herd.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Youtube is just another form of streaming entertainment.  Broadcast is dead.  DVD's are dead.  Theater's are barely holding on.  Streaming has one, now the market needs to mature.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Back in the day NETFLIX was great! Every movie you could think of, including recent releases were delivered on DVD to your mailbox.

This past Thanksgiving Day, we couldn’t even find “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” Just a bunch of dumb movies made in Eastern Europe staring people we never heard of
View Quote

Our version of the "old" Netflix is called the public library... We have dozens of libraries tied to a central online system so you can pick a DVD or Blu-Ray, put it on hold, then go check it out at your closest branch when a copy becomes available. Recent releases take a few weeks or months, but the back catalog is literally 24 hour turnaround. Also video games -- I had a hankering to play Titanfall 2 on PS4 and what do you know, it is waiting for me at my local branch as I type.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Our version of the "old" Netflix is called the public library... We have dozens of libraries tied to a central online system so you can pick a DVD or Blu-Ray, put it on hold, then go check it out at your closest branch when a copy becomes available. Recent releases take a few weeks or months, but the back catalog is literally 24 hour turnaround. Also video games -- I had a hankering to play Titanfall 2 on PS4 and what do you know, it is waiting for me at my local branch as I type.
View Quote

And they have a surprisingly large collection of the older classic DVD's still.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Seems like more and more streaming companies are going woke and pushing steaming piles of shit that preach liberalism.  But that has nothing to do with people cancelling, right?
View Quote

I had d+ for the mandalorian. When they cancelled Gina Carano, and Pablo Pascal mouthed off I decided they could do without my credits.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just torrent everything I want. Easier that way.
View Quote

I'd do that too again if Crapcast wouldn't send me warning emails after I downloaded a movie.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'd do that too again if Crapcast wouldn't send me warning emails after I downloaded a movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just torrent everything I want. Easier that way.

Um, VPN?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Total clickbait. I routinely cancel several streaming services every year, I'm sure millions of others do also. I just cancelled HBO Max. Because it's included in my new internet package.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fad? No. People are sharing with groups of friends.
View Quote

As a former heavy Roku investor, this is what’s going on, and until they find a way to stop this, it’s going to impede growth.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I want things to go back to the way they were.

I send Netflix 10 dollars a month and they send me two DVD's in the mail
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#42]

This ^^

And I don't get why people pay for a streaming service just to see one or two shows...like Disney for Mandalorian, Netflix for Stranger Things, Hulu for Handsmaid..

That all adds up to paying for cable!!!

I just have Sling and bounce between trying stuff - like I temporarily am paying for Peacock to see volleyball - which I have been too busy to watch

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why pay when you can bootleg it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:09:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This ^^

And I don't get why people pay for a streaming service just to see one or two shows...like Disney for Mandalorian, Netflix for Stranger Things, Hulu for Handsmaid..

I just have Sling and bounce between trying stuff - like I temporarily am paying for Peacock to see volleyball - which I have been too busy to watch

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This ^^

But Mandalorian isn't on cable.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#45]
We went from $125 a month for Dish and the Starz package which I'd stopped watching.

I got The Wife a Roku box and she's paying $65 for all the old police procedurals you can shake a stick at.  She's got all the channels she watched before for half the price.

She says there's plenty of free content too.

Happy The Wife, happy life.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:10:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:13:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Get woke, go broke.

I've canceled half the services we had, did I replace them with cable? Fuck no. That's worse that the wokest streaming service and at best offers 60% of the entertainment, the other 40% is the same ads over and over for things I'll never buy.
View Quote

This.

Who wants to watch streaming when the commercials are now the entertainment. " pick which entertainment ad you'd like to watch"..

Or that every commercial is all non white except for the retarded stupid old white guy that everybody shakes their head at and laughs?

Or every show now has a blonde hot chick who always end up with the black guy?

Or girlpower cause ya know "we rule"

Or the check sitting looking pretty says " Did you know gravity and relativity were discovered by people working from home? Do you know what revolutionary thing this woman discovered when she worked from home? Kale"

Ya that sounds about right.

A contestant bombardment of brainwashing.  People are fucking sick of it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Not really a fad. People changing services aren’t going back to cable or satellite usually. They are rapidly becoming the entertainment equivalent to house phones with only old people bothering with them.

There just is too much market saturation, and not enough consolidation yet. Netflix was the pioneer, hulu was a joint venture between multiple companies to chase after that market. Then every single legacy channel company decided they could make their own platform and cash in on that too. Which is idiotic who really wants to pay a subscription every month to just watch the office and MASH and a handful of other old shows? So yeah people see many of these new cash grab start ups see “oooh this service has 1 signature show I’m interested in” subscribe for a month or 2 binge it then unsubscribe because there’s nothing else to justify staying.

Eventually many will fail and be sold at bargain basement prices to the survivors of this change in media or simply be bought/merge with bigger rivals who want to expand their library. We are still in the early days of this stuff. Cable and satellite had decades to become what they were.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There's too many services now. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Apple+, Disney, HBOMax, etc.

At some point people get sick of bullshit or they are just jumping around. Right now Apple+ has some great content and netflix is absolute garbage. Not much on Hulu either that I care about. HBOMax is pretty meh.

If I had to chose i'd stick with Amazon and Apple+. At least I can buy most stuff on Amazon if I want.
View Quote
If there were only two, they would probably be 49.99/mo ea
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:24:42 AM EDT
[#50]
I just have Hulu during the F1 season. Sorry.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top