Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2024 8:10:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus]
You just don’t see these every day, much less get one as an inheritance. It needs a good light, non-altering cleaning and has a large crack on the front and some gaps along the edges on the bottom. I will be looking for a competent luthier to do the repairs and return it to playability.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever you do, don't let Quentin Tarantino use it as a movie prop.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful.  Have you considered having Gibson do the work?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mindless:
View Quote

I agree with this post.  There are many good luthiers out there, but they seem to be getting scarce.  I would get a consultation with Gibson.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Support/Virtual-Repair-And-Restoration?utm_source=Gibson+Newsletter&utm_campaign=2d8a66690c-4.22.21%3A+Repair+%26+Restoration+Launch&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d5d26bcb8d-2d8a66690c-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&ct=t%284.22.21%3A+Repair+&Restoration_Launch%29=&mc_cid=2d8a66690c&mc_eid=ef1f2686d8
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mindless:
View Quote

Actually, I am considering them. Been reading up on their services. I will send an inquiry to them this week with pictures of the problems.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:

Actually, I am considering them. Been reading up on their services. I will send an inquiry to them this week with pictures of the problems.
View Quote

Very cool instrument.  Denny Rauen and Ron Jones up here in Milwaukee are both absolutely top tier but I'm sure you can find some one more local.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
It makes you wonder how many 105 year old guitars are still out in the wild waiting to be found.
I would think Gibson would want it in their museum. What a great inheritance!
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:08:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#7]
FYI OP, I'm seeing them on Reverb in various conditions from $1500-$5700. Hope that helps determine how much is worth sinking into it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cgrant26:
FYI OP, I'm seeing them on Reverb in various conditions from $1500-$5700. Hope that helps determine how much is worth sinking into it.
View Quote

Yeah those and the more stripped down archtops really aren't worth a whole lot but it shouldn't need anything more than maybe a few cleats and a setup which should be a few hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cgrant26:
View Quote

Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

Yeah those and the more stripped down archtops really aren't worth a whole lot but it shouldn't need anything more than maybe a few cleats and a setup which should be a few hundred bucks.
View Quote

I’m laughing at the 2 on Ebay with various replacement parts and new sprayed finishes that are both around $7500. I have exactly $0 invested in this thing currently, a few hundred to bring it back to life wouldn’t be a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool! must be preserved!
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

View Quote

Originally Posted By forager:
Cool! must be preserved!
View Quote

As is sometimes the case with these “barn finds”….they can cost A LOT to restore. Pre-war Martins can double purchase price in repairs. Tagging for updates.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
wut?

To get a six figure bill from a luthier the guitar is gonna have to be smashed to fucking pieces.

Also, plenty of luthiers better than the guys working at Gibson.

Have any of you guys actually worked in the industry?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:44:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#14]
Originally Posted By BTccw:

As is sometimes the case with these “barn finds”….they can cost A LOT to restore. Pre-war Martins can double purchase price in repairs. Tagging for updates.
View Quote

I lucked out. This isn’t a barn find. It was brought to our house in the mid 80s when my step-mom’s father died and we moved her mother is with us. It has been in this shape since then. I tried for years to get her to let me have it, but she always said it belonged to my sisters. Now that both her and my dad have left us, my sisters told me to keep it, but I have to get it cleared with them if I ever decide to sell it. Fair enough, it was their grandfathers guitar. There was also an old violin that my eldest sister kept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top