Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2024 8:09:15 PM EDT
I know they exist and that they fit in X4 PCIE slots but how many lanes are needed to take advantage of the 10Gpbs?
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 9:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LatentUser] [#1]
Originally Posted By farfromhome:
I know they exist and that they fit in X4 PCIE slots but how many lanes are needed to take advantage of the 10Gpbs?
View Quote

you can plug most x8 cards into x4 slots.   You could easily run a single Intel x520-DA1 10G x8 NIC at full line speed in a PCIe2.0+  x4 slot.

PCIe 2.0 x4 has 2GB/s bandwidth, a 10Gbps nic will be about 1.28 GB/s.    It wouldn't be able to run a DA2 card as it would need another x4 equivalent of bandwidth.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 10:35:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Fly] [#2]
I run a Mellanox 4x on a pcie 3.0 slot that only has 2x lanes, and it performs at 10gb no problem.

Intel 10gb and 25gb cards can be twitchy if you don't give them at least 4x lanes (its a design limit in their chipset).

The Aquantia AQC113 based cards should work fine on a pcie 4.0 1x slot.  Only downside to them is that they only support twisted pair cabling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top