Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
"It is thought that the attacking shark is the largest in the bay, known as 'Survivor' or 'Big Mama'.

Other divers said tour groups regularly play 'Russian Roulette' with the shark, which often approaches divers and has to be pushed away with sticks and poles."

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya. Nope.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
When you leave the boat and enter the water, you are no longer the Apex Predator.  

Just saying.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol

I have been on that exact same dive, in that exact same spot (Beqa lagoon) - about 10 years ago.  It’s slightly dangerous because they are feeding the tigers, and so the sharks are looking for something to eat.

Here’s a picture I took.  You can see a very large tiger shark.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/11790.JPG
View Quote

I see a bunch of fish but you mentioned a very large shark. Is it the one in the middle?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
This is why I don't go in the ocean
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
3/3 for you, but you're skirting a fine line branching out into other Tiger organisms
View Quote

This was a bonus thread. The real one is still coming for today.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll just leave this here.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:38:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:40:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:42:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Put another point up on the board for "a fucking halberd would have solved this problem."  

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5823/cdwp6e.jpg
View Quote
Lindybeige
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:43:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@M1-Ed

You’re still alive!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Mmmmmmm.....gee your head tastes terrific like chicken"

Fixed

Ed

@M1-Ed

You’re still alive!

Marie,
Yes I’m still kicking.
After my mother passed away (Feb 15, 2018 the day after her birthday), I had to move out.
I got into a funk because of that. And my older brother stole a lot her money. And I was kicked out of the house that was to go to me, for giving up my place so I could care for her for the previous 7 years.
I’m been feeling great since October and slowly getting back on the forums.
I have missed reading your exploits in diving and your office life. I do hope you have been well and are taking care of yourself during this pandemic.

Ed
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bathtub...
View Quote

I'm with you.  I bet more people drown in swimming pools than are killed by tiger sharks..............
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Tigers are big mean and fast.
If a surfer loses an arm, or a leg to a shark in the tropics it's usually a tiger.

In Florida it's usually a bull shark.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:04:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:20:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm with you.  I bet more people drown in swimming pools than are killed by tiger sharks..............
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bathtub...

Or fall in the bathroom.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Meh, once you hop into the ocean, you're no longer at the top of the food chain. That shit goes right out the window.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:47:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I did this exact dive in 2005. It was awesome. I'm up to 15 species of sharks I've dove with. Finally checked Great Whites off the list.
I would do the Fiji shark dive again in an instant. The sharks are already under the boat when you arrive. You jump in and they are around you. All the divers go to the bottom and sit. The crew brings down the frozen fish scraps and then starts the feeding. One diver got bumped a few times by a silver tip and had to push it away. Even though I did the dive 15 years ago I still remember it like yesterday. Great experience.

Oh yeah almost forgot. When the sharks are feeding their teeth naturally fall out. I picked up a bottom and a top tooth from a Bull Shark. Best souvenir ever.

I did a shark dive in Australia and while we were sitting on the boat talking, it turns out 2 of the 6 divers had been bit previously by sharks. That didn't stop them and they knew what they were getting into.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:07:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a phobia w sharks... Lived in S FL for 6 years, went in water twice up to my knees. Took the kids to Jersey shore, anxiety so bad I threw up before bed.
View Quote

I was body surfing at Seaside Heights back in 97 when I was 13. There was a sand bar on the north end of the pier that year about 100 yards out. Would head out there and then back in. While on the bar, the water was waist high. Had a 6 foot or so shark swim through my legs while out there. I walked on water back to the beach.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuck shark feeding.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:44:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I know sharks can smell blood in the water at incredibly low concentrations.... that tiger would have been smelling tinkle in the water at pretty high concentrations from me.??
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Warning: In the ocean you are not at the top of the food chain.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#23]
SCUBA guys: How well do those chain mail shark suits work?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Warning: In the ocean you are not at the top of the food chain.
View Quote

When I was a kid (~1976), I swam around the pilings of a long fishing pier in NC (Barnacle Bill's, for anybody from the NC coastal area). A little while later, we walked to the end of the pier and, looking down, discovered that we had been in among a fairly sizable group of hammerheads.
That was the last time I swam in the ocean.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:54:26 AM EDT
[#25]

You should be fine unless you're time traveling to the Miocene era.

In which case you have to deal with pliocyon bear-dogs, hyenodons, dire wolves, 50 foot rhamphosuchus crocodiles, daeodon hell pigs, and in the water you also have to worry about the 50 to livyatan.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#26]
What's with the next video.  Dog attacks kid and everyone runs.  No one helps the fucking kid.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SCUBA guys: How well do those chain mail shark suits work?
View Quote

Not worth a shit against a big great white or tiger(and maybe a big bull). It's like soft body armor against a .50BMG.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I would much prefer that thing vs a normal sized shark biting chunks out of me and tearing limbs off.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That would totally screw up my buoyancy on a dive.  
View Quote
Just add more air to your BCD or less weights
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#31]
That shark was giving a warning.  They eat sea turtles, it could have squished his head if it wanted to.

Not to say tigers are bright, but they are a lot smarter than those dumb as stump white tips.

I’ve dove with tigers, hammerheads; etc.  the one I don’t trust are Galapagos.  They are evil.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
See, a freak diving accident can get you not this damn virus.

When it's your time, it's your time.
View Quote

Except this was like an AIDS patient walking into a Covid-19 ICU and mouth kissing every patient in the place. Your time will come, but you don't need to be a line jumper.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#33]
3.4-inch long laceration across his head

that had to bleed seriously ringing the dinner bell
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#34]
God could kill me easily with a heart attack, aneurysm, stroke, car crash...

Death by shark? God would have to do a sharknado to get me.

I ain't going into the sharks food bowl.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Never get out of the boat!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Land tigers, ocean tigers, whatever, just......

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#37]
one about that size ate my 100# amberjack a few weeks ago, before I could get it to the boat... one hit, a big jerk, and it was gone

fucker...
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I own the crate in which this shark was shipped from Florida to Massachusetts. The house I bought was lived in by some of the production crew and they left a lot of stuff. The previous owner left me this,a sign from Quint’s shark shack and a bunch of Polaroids uses to check costume continuity.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56204/5CC48435-BB75-4FDD-8640-3FC74AB42D50_jpe-1344096.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56204/B719E6B0-7ED9-4068-9A79-04B4AFE81DCE_jpe-1344097.JPG
View Quote

This is one of the coolest posts I've seen here. Thank you for sharing the story and pictures. Jaws is my favorite movie of all time. My wife and I have some cool memorabilia from it in our movie room, but nothing like that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Lucky.  Great story to tell the family
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Went Great White Diving in South Africa. It was absolutely awesome!! I would love to do it again.

That said, I WAS IN A CAGE!

If you want to feed and mess with sharks, GET IN A CAGE!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That would totally screw up my buoyancy on a dive.  
View Quote

You wouldn't need a weight belt any more.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top