BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

Drunk drivers generally experience less traumatic changes in force. "It's not the speed, it's the sudden stop. "

Folks stopped get rear-ended by dickhead doing 120, they immediately accelerate tp 120mph and all the associated trauma that comes with that rapid acceleration. They're subjected to more traumatic forces than the guy going 120 undergoing a less traumatic deceleration over time.
View Quote

Inelastic collision loading is VERY tricky.  

Calculating exactly how hard the passengers accelerate or decelerate depends on how much energy gets absorbed in crushing the car bodies and how exactly they crush and fracture, and how exactly the occupants collide with the interior of the car.

Just like when people fall down the stairs.  One guy rolls down the whole flight, ass over tea kettle, and is fine, another guy skids down just two steps and breaks his leg.

In general, however, the acceleration of the two vehicles will be roughly proportional to their weight.  

If the drunk driver rear ends a child on a bicycle, the child might get turned into a human cannonball and the drunk might not even notice.

If the drunk driver rear ends a loaded gravel truck, the drunk might get turned into pasta and the truck driver might get a little jolt.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 63% of alcohol-impaired driving fatalities in 2019 involved a single vehicle.

Running into something isn't necessarily safer than being run into.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#2]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ryu:
I'll often lookup a city to determine what's going on with the big picture when I see threads like these.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/406502/Fort_Worth_Demographics_jpg-3306277.JPG

Just remember that it's not just a theory. It's a conspiracy theory.
View Quote

That’s part of the picture, but it doesn’t explain a state like Montana where 88.7% are white, and they lead the nation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
The pliable vs tense thing is often thrown out as an explanation.

View Quote

Drunk drivers do have a higher survival rate than their victims.

It seems to be mostly a chemical thing.

A study of 190,612 patients treated at Illinois trauma centers between 1995 and 2009 found that patients’ mortality rates decreased as their blood-alcohol content rose. At the highest levels of intoxication, mortality rates plummeted nearly 50%.

When physical trauma happens, the body releases chemicals that slow down the healing process. Researchers believe that alcohol acts as a buffer and prevents these physiological reactions, thereby preventing fatal complications.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

That’s part of the picture, but it doesn’t explain a state like Montana where 88.7% are white, and they lead the nation.
View Quote

States like that can be skewed because there is a pretty low population so it doesn't take very many accidents to raise the stats.

Also, there isn't a lot to do in some of those states other then drink and party.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Erick1744:
Probably an illegal also.
View Quote

We need to know the truth.  "of Fort Worth" hides that information.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:

One starts at 0, goes to 120 and then to 0.  

The other starts at 120 and goes to 0.

0-120 time is a LOT faster than 120-0.

(Yes I realize this is very simplified)

Seatbelts, etc have a lot to do with it also
View Quote

I don't want to be snotty, but dynamics and kinematics are not as intuitive as people think they are.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By grey50beast:

As if dui crashes didn't happen before.
5 people in a sedan sounds like a family
View Quote

If he was an illegal that is one crash...and FIVE DEAD AMERICANS...that would not have happened if he were not here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NIevo:

States like that can be skewed because there is a pretty low population so it doesn't take very many accidents to raise the stats.

Also, there isn't a lot to do in some of those states other then drink and party.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The comparison is per 100k, and Montana has a million people vs. Texas has 29 million.  My WAG is that sample size isn’t going to introduce much bias, but weather is.

As for nothing to do, it’s not justification for DWI.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 6EQUJ5:
While I understand the resentment given the current influx of people here illegally, if the driver was from Sweden I don't think anyone would suddenly feel better about the people who were killed.

The problem is we as a society have become over tolerant to the people who do the kind of dumb shit that results in the preventable deaths of innocent people.

But things like "profiling", "speed traps" and "DUI check points" all are viewed in a negative light by people who worry more about cultural sensitivity than making traffic safer.

Somebody will come along and accuse me of being a statist, but with the current fiasco of a government and the limitations on law enforcement, those things are the only workable solutions. We could do a lot better without violating everyone's freedom of movement on the road, but I don't think the current population is capable of that kind of personal responsibility.
View Quote

How about instead of doing all that, how about we hold people accountable? Don’t let this asshat out to do it again. Charge him with manslaughter for each individual and maybe someone else might have second thoughts about doing this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#10]

Where is your source?  I'm guessing it is Trump's fault too?
View All Quotes

Trump's fault?

No.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/north-texas-fourth-of-july-shooting-leaves-three-dead-including-two-children/287-5563beb1-4517-417d-a68b-53de979f2a49

To deny the rifles aren't used in homicides would not be correct in the slightest.

@NIevo
Originally Posted By sleestakwhisperer:

A study of 190,612 patients treated at Illinois trauma centers between 1995 and 2009 found that patients’ mortality rates decreased as their blood-alcohol content rose. At the highest levels of intoxication, mortality rates plummeted nearly 50%.

When physical trauma happens, the body releases chemicals that slow down the healing process. Researchers believe that alcohol acts as a buffer and prevents these physiological reactions, thereby preventing fatal complications.

That's pretty neat. I never knew that.

Thanks @sleestakwhisperer
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By planovet:

And here I thought Tarrant County was better than Dallas County, I was wrong. Thankfully I live in Denton County.
View Quote

I don’t live in any of those counties for that reason.

My county will send people to prison for theft w/2 previous convictions.

And I’m okay with that.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#12]

The comparison is per 100k, and Montana has a million people vs. Texas has 29 million.  My WAG is that sample size isn’t going to introduce much bias, but weather is.

As for nothing to do, it’s not justification for DWI.
View Quote

I didn't look at how the comparison was calculated but that makes sense.

I never said having nothing to do was justification for it, but it is a big cause for it.  Plus, it is a lot more rural and not the same options for taxis and Ubers in places like Montana so you are going to get more idiots that think they need to drive themselves.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Trump's fault?

No.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/north-texas-fourth-of-july-shooting-leaves-three-dead-including-two-children/287-5563beb1-4517-417d-a68b-53de979f2a49

To deny the rifles aren't used in homicides would not be correct in the slightest.

@NIevo

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Trump's fault?

No.

@NIevo
Originally Posted By sleestakwhisperer:

Nowhere that I read stated that it was an AR used.  Not saying it couldn't have been, but no pictures or description other then caliber.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 8:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#14]

Nowhere that I read stated that it was an AR used.  Not saying it couldn't have been, but no pictures or description other then caliber.
View Quote

How many other rifles are out there in a semi auto format that shoot 300 blackout?

Ar15s and other semi autos are enormously popular with gangs and criminals and with the 3d printed lightning links and DIAS even more so.

The facts are out there for everyone to see. There is a wealth of self uploaded content to social media showing the rifles in common use along with conversions to full auto

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
We need to go back to the days when he would have been pulled from his casr and hug from the nearest telephone/light pole.
View Quote

While I am a fan of hugging, I don't think that it's going to solve this problem.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top