Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2023 8:24:35 PM EDT
On February 17, 1974, Robert Preston performed one of the most bizarre stunts in United States military history.  Preston, who was then a private in the Army, stole a helicopter from Fort Meade and flew it to Washington, D.C., where he led Maryland State Police helicopters on a chase that ended on the south lawn of the White House.

The White House Helicopter Incident - www.NBCUniversalArchives.com

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Are those shot marks all over it?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are those shot marks all over it?
View Quote

buckshot
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I find it insane that they didn't have access to heavier weapons.

Guess it was a different world back then.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Was it a Cessna that landed on Red Square way back when?  I'm too old to remember the details.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was it a Cessna that landed on Red Square way back when?  I'm too old to remember the details.  
View Quote

Mathias Rust.  1987?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny when that happened, I was still in the Army assigned as a pilot in a helicopter unit.  I don't recall anything extraordinary happening to our security down on the flight line where the aircraft were parked.  But then, we were out in the middle of Kansas and no one cared.  

I wonder how many years that dude spent at Leavenworth?  Lucky for him they didn't waste him.

ETA:  Unbelievable he was only sentenced to one year in prison and fined $2,400 (equivalent to $14,241 in 2022).  The duration of his court-martial was given to him as time served; this meant he had to serve a further six months in prison.  He instead served two months at Fort Riley, Kansas, before being granted a general discharge from the army for unsuitability.

I can't believe he ended up at Riley with us!
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I pity the fool that got caught doing that!
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Funny when that happened, I was still in the Army assigned as a pilot in a helicopter unit.  I don't recall anything extraordinary happening to our security down on the flight line where the aircraft were parked.  But then, we were out in the middle of Kansas and no one cared.  

I wonder how many years that dude spent at Leavenworth?  Lucky for him they didn't waste him.
View Quote

1 year in jail, 6 months in military jail I believe , then discharged as “unsuitable “ for military service, the helicopter he used is on display somewhere
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got off kinda light.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_White_House_helicopter_incident
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
This is one of those stories I knew but had forgotten about. Thanks for the memories OP.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Preston pleaded guilty to "wrongful appropriation and breach of the peace" in the plea bargain at his court-martial. He was sentenced to one year in prison, six months of which was time served, and a fine of US$2,400 (equivalent to $14,241 in 2022). After his release, Preston received a general discharge from the army, then lived a quiet life, married, and died of cancer in 2009.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preston pleaded guilty to "wrongful appropriation and breach of the peace" in the plea bargain at his court-martial. He was sentenced to one year in prison, six months of which was time served, and a fine of US$2,400 (equivalent to $14,241 in 2022). After his release, Preston received a general discharge from the army, then lived a quiet life, married, and died of cancer in 2009.

That is so unbelievable.  Try that these days and you'll disappear from the scene forever.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got off kinda light.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Bet that didn’t help him come promotion time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top