Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2024 4:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ride_the_lightning]
How are the 6.2l V8's and the transmissions in these vehicles?

Currently looking at a 2018 Denali with 4x4.  106xxx miles trying to get for $25k.  Mechanically it runs great but being a lifelong Ford guy I am not up to speed on the issues with these 6.2l's.  I have heard of lifter issues.  

Also I think this Denali is the first year of the 10-speed transmission

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Did it have AMF by then?
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
People may disagree. The 10-speed transmission is good to go for the most part and yes the ls base motor can have lifter issues but they're still one of the most reliable engines out there. I'm sure I'll get slack for saying that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Did it have AMF by then?
View Quote

AFM has been around for 15 years on those
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
All the GM transmissions suck these days. I just got mine rebuilt and going to install it this weekend. Just stopped shifting. There is a kit, for like $30, that reduces the transmission operating temperature by 30 degrees. It can save your transmissions.

6.2 is a solid motor, but the AFM can cause uneven wear.

All new trucks have their flaws. You can get 250,000 miles out of what you are looking at. If you do get it, do a transmission service immediately and install that kit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:
All the GM transmissions suck these days. I just got mine rebuilt and going to install it this weekend. Just stopped shifting. There is a kit, for like $30, that reduces the transmission operating temperature by 30 degrees. It can save your transmissions.

6.2 is a solid motor, but the AFM can cause uneven wear.

All new trucks have their flaws. You can get 250,000 miles out of what you are looking at. If you do get it, do a transmission service immediately and install that kit.
View Quote

What transmission was this. I know the 6l80e/90 had this issue. Only because I had to redo mine. But I didn't think the 10 speeds had this issue. But not positive.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife drives that truck in an XL variant.  The motor is phenomenal. Plenty of power and will give very good gas mileage if you stay out of it.  Personally, I think it one of the best V8s ever made.  Yes, it is not perfect but i can think of few others that make the power it does and can return the same fuel economy if you drive it like an adult.   I also disabled AFM on ours.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same vehicle in XL with 230k I believe. No problems from the engine, do not drive around with 4wd in the auto position.  Leave in 2wd at all times until 4wd needed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If it has made it past 100k, it's likely good to go. Engine issues typically show up prior to that. The power of the 6.2 is very enjoyable, and gets real world 20+ mpg with the cruise set at 81 mph. Absolutely fantastic for towing, other than the mirrors are smallish.
I think both the 8 and 10 speed transmissions were included in the TSB where GM recommends a flush and fill with Mobil 1 LV Full Synthetic fluid. Makes a difference immediately. Test drive it with varying amounts of throttle from a stop, if you feel unusually harsh 1st to 2nd upshift, or shift hesitation/slipping, you'll want the Mobil 1 LV. When GM recommends you use another brand of fluid, it's a big deal.
Take a close look at the space inside the vehicle before you buy, if you ever have the need for more than driver + 3 passengers, the amount of cargo space is EXTREMELY limited, and the 3rd row is absolutely not for adults. The 2021 and newer models are a huge improvement in that area. Also, lots of failures of heated/air conditioned seats.
I'm not sure about your market, but the price you mentioned wouldn't be anything special near me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:
My wife drives that truck in an XL variant.  The motor is phenomenal. Plenty of power and will give very good gas mileage if you stay out of it.  Personally, I think it one of the best V8s ever made.  Yes, it is not perfect but i can think of few others that make the power it does and can return the same fuel economy if you drive it like an adult.   I also disabled AFM on ours.  
View Quote

How did you delete?

I have 2014 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 87GMC4X4:

How did you delete?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

How did you delete?

Probably disabled with a programmer.  Deleting altogether would take new parts.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By shorepatrol:

View All Quotes
Did it have AMF by then?

How much would it cost to replace it with a non AFM crate motor, or a quality non AFM rebuild?
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

What exactly did you do, to “Disable” the AFM?
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#13]

How much would it cost to replace it with a non AFM crate motor, or a quality non AFM rebuild?
View All Quotes
Did it have AMF by then?

A delete kit is less than both of those options.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
If the lifters have been done already or the engine has been replaced, good to go.
Overall, not a bad price as long as there are no issues or the above has been dealt with.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Did it have AMF by then?

If it starts ticking or lifter issues, going to cost $4-5k for top end rebuild.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

You can disable it with a programmer/tune.  You have to use new hardware/parts to delete it completely.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:08:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Austin4130] [#17]

View All Quotes

Disabled mine via Range OBD tool, AFM lifters still went tits up at 105k on most recent truck.

Now its been deleted for 50k miles with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:10:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#19]

How did you delete?

View Quote

@87GMC4X4
@BillofRights

This is what I use.  Works.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:16:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#20]
You can buy the AFM delete dongle for about $236.  That would be the first thing I do.

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#21]

@87GMC4X4
@BillofRights

This is what I use.  Works.

View Quote

I bought one for my 2007 Silverado.  It works as advertised.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By astross89:
People may disagree. The 10-speed transmission is good to go for the most part
View Quote

I think by now they've all either received the new fluid, or died from not getting the new fluid.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
You can buy the AFM delete dongle for about $230.  That would be the first thing I do.

View Quote

Delete =/= Disable.

Disabling leaves all the hardware in place that can still fail.  Deleting is removing a replacing lifters, cam, etc, to delete the problem parts altogether.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Two ways. One way is to replace half the engine and the other a disabler the plugs in the OB2 port. That is what I did. It cost like $200 and gave it a little more pep.

I like GM trucks. I own one and still like it even though it has been in the shop for almost 6 weeks with transmission rebuild that cost me $3500 and counting.

The 5.3 and 6.2 are not new to the market. Lots of data out there. I personally understand that there is an assumed risk with any newer truck transmission, especially GM. The 80 is not a bad transmission. GM just failed to address the issue that causes them to fail, high operating temperature. 10 speed only exists due to the EPA and the government’s fetish with wanting to destroy the automobile industry.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Thing with a used one is you don't know if the owner kept up with maintenance. Damage relating to the af bullshit could already be done
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cedjunior:

Delete =/= Disable.

Disabling leaves all the hardware in place that can still fail.  Deleting is removing a replacing lifters, cam, etc, to delete the problem parts altogether.
View Quote

Correct.  I have disabled mine and it runs better.  145k and counting.  If it fails, and I keep the truck, I will delete all the old hardware.  Until then, I'm running it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Correct.  I have disabled mine and it runs better.  145k and counting.  If it fails, and I keep the truck, I will delete all the old hardware.  Until then, I'm running it.
View Quote

A full delete kit requires a massive reprogramming of the computer by someone who has to know what they are doing.  That’s when it gets tricky because not many people specialize in this.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Does it have the magnetic suspension? Seems like an expensive thing to fix and heard it doesn't last long either.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#29]

A full delete kit requires a massive reprogramming of the computer by someone who has to know what they are doing.  That’s when it gets tricky because not many people specialize in this.
View Quote

And an engine tear down.  No thanks.  For now, I will disable.

$3,000+ vs. $230?  Yeah, that's a no brainer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#30]

And an engine tear down.  No thanks.  For now, I will disable.

$3,000+ vs. $230?  Yeah, that's a no brainer.
View Quote

You might as well replace pistons, get it bored and a new transmission with an exhaust kit
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Delete =/= Disable.

If it fails you'll be lucky not to drop a valve in a cylinder.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#32]

If it fails you'll be lucky not to drop a valve in a cylinder.
View Quote

In which case I will have it fixed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

A delete kit is $600+/-.  It needs the same amount of programming as disabling the AFM to begin with, not a massive amount of reprogramming.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#34]

You might as well replace pistons, get it bored and a new transmission with an exhaust kit
View Quote

Might as well get a blower installed, too.

And some of those fuzzy dice that hang from the mirror.  I always wanted some of those.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#35]

A delete kit is $600+/-.  It needs the same amount of programming as disabling the AFM to begin with, not a massive amount of reprogramming.
View Quote

That's just the kit, not the labor.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Man, that 6.2 is a beast.

In a truck that size especially.

It close to double the horsepower in my F-250 with the 460 V8.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

That’s the basic kit without the cam I am guessing
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 7:28:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#38]

View Quote

Plus labor.  And the rest of the motor still has 106k miles on it.

At some point ROI comes into consideration.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 7:31:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaxPayer77] [#39]
I've had GM AFM lifters fail at 20k miles and at 150k miles. Do a cam swap delete kit. I did a delete kit for about $1800 myself by the time I bought more tools, a tuner. Took me 3 weekends, 8 hrs for 3 Saturdays. 24 hours total. One to remove, one to clean/prep and one to install.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Something OP might consider - does that engine require Premium fuel?
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Something OP might consider - does that engine require Premium fuel?
View Quote

Premium not required, but is recommended for towing and for best performance. Difference is very noticeable, fun factor goes up substantially with premium. Engine adjusts automatically.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:

Disabled mine via Range OBD tool, AFM lifters still went tits up at 105k on most recent truck.

Now its been deleted for 50k miles with no issues.
View Quote

Same on my 5.3 sierra, I disabled AFM at 20k but it still shit the bed at 120k, ended up going with a texas speed cam and regular lifters. AFM is bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 8:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KeithStone] [#43]
Originally Posted By TaxPayer77:
I've had GM AFM lifters fail at 20k miles and at 150k miles. Do a cam swap delete kit. I did a delete kit for about $1800 myself by the time I bought more tools, a tuner. Took me 3 weekends, 8 hrs for 3 Saturdays. 24 hours total. One to remove, one to clean/prep and one to install.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I feel your pain. This was a couple nights ago. '09 5.3L with 75,000mi. Texas Speed Kit with stage 2 cam $900. ARP head/exhaust bolts, spark plugs, oil pump, timing chain,  misc, probably another $500. Mail in tune $350. But knock on wood, it's going better than I thought it would. Better than spending $3,000 in labor.

ETA:  I did the AFM disable before she had 20,000 miles on her.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I drove the dog shit out of my 2017 Yukon in Kuwait. Such a great riding vehicle. When I picked it up it still had the shipping plastic on the seats. It was not afraid to hit speeds of 110-120 mph.

1 bad battery and a few bad tires in 4 years.

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

$660

https://www.amsracing.net/collections/gm-afm-dod-kits/products/2014-current-gm-chevy-gen-v-l83-5-3l-complete-active-fuel-management-afm-dod-delete-kit-1

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By astross89:
People may disagree. The 10-speed transmission is good to go for the most part and yes the ls base motor can have lifter issues but they're still one of the most reliable engines out there. I'm sure I'll get slack for saying that.
View Quote

Nope, you nailed it.  Stay away from the 8 speed with the 6.2.....10 speed is gtg.  I'd tune out the AFM if possible.  We have a '17 with the 5.3 Supercharged and haven't had a single issue.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#47]
fUCK NO.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:47:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: prosecondman] [#48]
I have a 2016 silverado with the 6.2L and 8 speed. 240,000 miles. Range deactivated at 30,000 miles. So far it has been fine. Transmission is getting a little slopy shifting at slow speeds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:52:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: styles] [#49]
You can buy the AFM delete dongle for about $236.  That would be the first thing I do.

View Quote

My 2020 Escalade has a ‘sport mode’ that keeps it in v8.  I thought all 2016-2020 GMs had the same. Maybe not?
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#50]
The 6.2 is a beast, and not as prone to AFM issues as the 5.3.  Had a 2017 Yukon that we loved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top