BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What cracks me up about these new gargantuan grills:

Most of the area behind the external grill is solid. The engine doesn't need that much opening for cooling.... the sole purpose of that big yawning gap is simply to look dumb.
View Quote

It isn't really solid.
It is full of squishy bits (styrofoam mostly) to comply with pedestrian impact standards.

The actual bumper is almost at the very, very bottom of that structure.

The front ends of modern pickups look as derpy as they do to comply with probably 1/2 dozen government standards. Low bumper height so they don't override the bumpers of regular cars, deformable space in front of the core support and above the engine for pedestrian impact, front, side offset and narrow offset crash safety standards too.
And don't forget CAFE.
It is a miracle anybody can even offer a fullsize truck anymore. It is also why the V8s are all going bye bye (CAFE).

Interestingly, they went back to 6 lug wheels.
Brakes look to be the same.

I wonder if this is a clean sheet design or an evolutionary one. 2nd gen to 3rd gen Tacomas were an evolutionary design, they both share the same basic architecture.

Looks like no more normal back seat sized 4 doors with 6' bed. All gigantor cabs, if you want the 6' bed you have to opt for a truck that won't fit in most parking spaces or garages.

Also: Ford and Ram making factory mid travel desert beaters with gobs of HP and wheel travel (for a box stock truck). Toyota (again) goes with the "moar badges and lightbars" for their answer (TRD Pro) to the Raptor and TRX.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
At least the aftermarket will make bank with a replacement front end....
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:12:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What cracks me up about these new gargantuan grills:

Most of the area behind the external grill is solid. The engine doesn't need that much opening for cooling.... the sole purpose of that big yawning gap is simply to look dumb.
View Quote

It's actually to meet the latest pedestrian collision safety requirements.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:34:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I actually don't hate it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks are very derivative of Ford and Chevy trucks.
View Quote

Looks like a Caricature of Chevy/Dodge/Ford.    Absolutely terrible.  I’m also pissed that they aren't even offering the normal 5.7 V8.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:43:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like my 20 Taco and see some cues from it in the Tundra, but that looks like crap. Will withhold final judgment until I see it in person.

The newer Silverado looked like shit in the press pics, but in person it wasn't as bad. Still dont like it, but it isn't the worst thing.
View Quote

Yeah, it isnt the Worst thing Anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:49:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh holy fuck, they couldn't even be bothered to put a fucking black headliner in it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58021/01969ADA-59B8-4ED0-B794-8D10B8036AB2-2097764.jpg
View Quote

That’s the gaudiest interior I’ve ever seen.   They're marketing hard to the flat bill wearing bro truck douchebag demographic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#8]
What is up with Toyota's and Lexus's butt ass ugly grills? I know that has lost a few sales....
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pretty much all makes are using the shutters to help get the engine up to operating Temps quicker.

But here is another pic of best looking truck currently on the market:

https://www.media.stellantis.com/cache/0/0/8/9/9/008996fcbd8bd3a1ae1a6689e372d8e781114cbb.jpeg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is up with Toyota's and Lexus's butt ass ugly grills? I know that has lost a few sales....
View Quote

Corporate Hubris, Arrogance, Trolling: They know that people will buy anyway, based on reliability legends and resale value.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ford has the least big, gaudiest front end. It is more refined and tastefully done, in my opinion of course.

http://images.trucknsale.com/pictures/141034831.jpg
View Quote

Except the Raptor with a 4’ wide FORD Across the front.

Ram Master Race
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Lets don't forget Nissan.

They started this hideously bloated front end trend.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Meh...I like it but for the V6 and ridiculous TuRD stickers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#14]
That grill looks like it’s a cock-sucking piece of shit

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ram Master Race
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford has the least big, gaudiest front end. It is more refined and tastefully done, in my opinion of course.

http://images.trucknsale.com/pictures/141034831.jpg

Ram Master Race

ram is only shorter because its fewer letters
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ram is only shorter because its fewer letters
View Quote

Smaller words...RAM knows it’s market!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Toyota isn't the only one doing that. For some reason when it comes to trucks manufacturers think tan should be the only option for trim above the dash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh holy fuck, they couldn't even be bothered to put a fucking black headliner in it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58021/01969ADA-59B8-4ED0-B794-8D10B8036AB2-2097764.jpg

Toyota isn't the only one doing that. For some reason when it comes to trucks manufacturers think tan should be the only option for trim above the dash.

My 21 Ram is all black inside
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#18]
It's like Toyota looked at GM's latest generation of ugly trucks with massive, bro impressing grills and said "Hold my beer and watch this.....".

While a lifelong GM truck fan, I would take a Ford over either of these any day of the week.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Toyota consistently makes the ugliest vehicles known to man and it even applies to Lexus as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#20]
The hood is as long as the bed
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#21]
queer.  just like the last tundra.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I want to see MPG figures.  And I'm just don't believe twin turbos are as trouble free as naturally aspirated.

The 14" screen looks stupid sticking up above the dash.

I don't hate the looks, but Ram looks better.  Maybe it will grow on me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The grill is hard to look at. First opinion. Rest of the truck exterior seems like a GMC maybe.
View Quote

It's like a GMC/Ford mashup
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ram has the best front end currently, even in higher trim levels that have lots of chrome like this Laramie:

https://di-uploads-pod13.dealerinspire.com/connorschryslerdodgejeepram/uploads/2020/10/2021-RAM-1500-Laramie.jpg

View Quote

You aren't wrong, and I thought the 5th gen Rams looked like shit when they came out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So we have the raptor for Ford, tremor for doge... what's Toyota gonna do? The pterodactyl?

In before the pterodactyl model at 100k+
View Quote

Tremor is a HD Ford performance package.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So we have the raptor for Ford, tremor for doge... what's Toyota gonna do? The pterodactyl?

View Quote

The Tremor is a Ford package.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tremor is also a performance package on a Ranger and a whole trim level on F150s.

Nothing like correcting someone without all the right information.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Does it still get 10MPG?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ram is the TRX (t-rex).

Seeing this, the Toyota model would be the Mosasaurus

Agree. Ford currently uses "active shutters" that close the top and bottom grills when at speed. I dont get it, because in a day where they fight for MPG, they make the front less aerodynamic and worse for airflow across the front

View Quote

Grille shutters improve aerodynamics by pushing air up over the truck instead of through the engine bay. Ram made a big hubbub about it when they added them in 2013.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#30]
well, at least they put the grab handle back on the driver's side..........

eta: NO! They just moved it from the passenger side. My wife would love that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's still a huge block going down the road. It seems like if they were so worried about it, they would change the shape

They look too close to the Rebels to me. I'm sure they are fun trucks but should have had a different grill to distinguish them from the other "RAM" blacked out grills. If it wasn't a Fiat product I probably would have traded in for one, but past experiences be what they be.
View Quote

Well the full name was "Rebel TRX" when it was a concept truck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I can feel and hear the cheep plastic dash as the buttons rock side to side in those pictures. LOL!!!!

Well at least you guys get a locker now, so I can't bitch about that anymore. Dang.

Volts as a primary gauge. LOL Fuck your trans temp.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks like ass. Nice job Toyota
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It isn't really solid.
It is full of squishy bits (styrofoam mostly) to comply with pedestrian impact standards.

The actual bumper is almost at the very, very bottom of that structure.

The front ends of modern pickups look as derpy as they do to comply with probably 1/2 dozen government standards. Low bumper height so they don't override the bumpers of regular cars, deformable space in front of the core support and above the engine for pedestrian impact, front, side offset and narrow offset crash safety standards too.
And don't forget CAFE.
It is a miracle anybody can even offer a fullsize truck anymore. It is also why the V8s are all going bye bye (CAFE).

Interestingly, they went back to 6 lug wheels.
Brakes look to be the same.

I wonder if this is a clean sheet design or an evolutionary one. 2nd gen to 3rd gen Tacomas were an evolutionary design, they both share the same basic architecture.

Looks like no more normal back seat sized 4 doors with 6' bed. All gigantor cabs, if you want the 6' bed you have to opt for a truck that won't fit in most parking spaces or garages.

Also: Ford and Ram making factory mid travel desert beaters with gobs of HP and wheel travel (for a box stock truck). Toyota (again) goes with the "moar badges and lightbars" for their answer (TRD Pro) to the Raptor and TRX.

View Quote

TRD Pro compares to the Rebel and Tremor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Gee. Such a small grill.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#36]
It is ok. Glad I got a 2020, though.

I don't like the screen or the exterior.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Toyota, please put that 437 horsepower twin-turbo V6 in the next 4Runner. Please.
View Quote

Best we can do is another optional color on a model you can't afford.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Looks like a Caricature of Chevy/Dodge/Ford.    Absolutely terrible.  I’m also pissed that they aren't even offering the normal 5.7 V8.
View Quote

The V8 going away was why I traded my '18 Tundra for a '21 Tundra. I thought I'd want to move to a CrewMax in the future and I was afraid I wouldn't like the next gen Tundra.

I feel I made the right decision.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks are very derivative of Ford and Chevy trucks.
View Quote

kinda what I was thinking
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Japanese gonna Japanese an upgrade.

As a Tundra owner I’m underwhelmed.  What better features they added are taken back by some really shitty ones.

Meh…I’ll wait for prices to stabilize and recalls to play out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is there an option for no touchscreen/infotainment?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I was shopping for a Crossover a couple of years ago, the butt-ugly front on current Lexus models was a big mark in the minus column for them.  The previous generation looked a lot better.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

He's getting pegged by Shannon Watts in that pic. And liking it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#45]
It's got a fu manchu.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#46]

This is a huge factor for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Ford is going the wrong way with Raptor design. First gen Raptors stood out. You saw one and you instantly knew from any angle and any distance, that's a fuckin Raptor. Gen 2 started dialing back on that. This third gen looks even less like a Raptor and more like a regular F150.

But besides that, the 3rd gen Raptor is sort of disappointing. Myself and a few other guys dumped out Gen 2s because of the terrible reliability when driven hard- cam phasers, brittle fan blades breaking, and the fucking terrible leaking sunroof (no rigidity in the cab because the whole roof is glass, so any twisting or impact starts to cause issues with flex). And they fixed exactly none of that with the 3rd generation. It's a joke.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ford is going the wrong way with Raptor design. First gen Raptors stood out. You saw one and you instantly knew from any angle and any distance, that's a fuckin Raptor. Gen 2 started dialing back on that. This third gen looks even less like a Raptor and more like a regular F150.

But besides that, the 3rd gen Raptor is sort of disappointing. Myself and a few other guys dumped out Gen 2s because of the terrible reliability when driven hard- cam phasers, brittle fan blades breaking, and the fucking terrible leaking sunroof (no rigidity in the cab because the whole roof is glass, so any twisting or impact starts to cause issues with flex). And they fixed exactly none of that with the 3rd generation. It's a joke.
View Quote

Disagree. It's easy to tell the raptors apart. The grill, 3 leds, fender flares, different bumpers and skid plates, I personally think it's easy to tell them apart. Again just my honest opinion. But I am a big f150 fan and know what to look for I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#49]
JFC why do car manufactures keep pushing the huge grill theme?  That thing is hideous.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Disagree. It's easy to tell the raptors apart. The grill, 3 leds, fender flares, different bumpers and skid plates, I personally think it's easy to tell them apart. Again just my honest opinion. But I am a big f150 fan and know what to look for I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a desert/offroad guy, I find the Raptors and TRXes easy to spot.
Same with the TRD Pros, they look like logos and regret.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top