Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/2/2024 6:04:59 PM EDT
Looking at one for just a daily car, with occasional long trips for 4.

Heard both good and bad on the Jeep line, what say you?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My Jeep Liberty was garbage.

I assume Grand Cherokees are similar.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
They are average or slightly below average in terms of reliability. So if reliability is important to you, I'd say no.

If you don't care about reliability, then go for it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Sample size: 1
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Just rolled 200K miles Tuesday morning…normal scheduled maintenance since purchase.
We bought the bumper-to-bumper warranty with it.  Covers everything that’s not a normal wear item (breaks, light bulbs, et cetera).  This warranty has paid for three coil packs, an exhaust manifold gasket, and two rear differentials.  All I pay is a $100 co-pay when shit breaks…I plan on driving it until it literally burns on the side of the highway.

If the new Jeeps came with the full warranty, I’d be tempted to move to a Grand Cherokee.  The stopped the full warranty in 2020-ish, never to return.
Good luck on your purchase, OP!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:31:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: P400] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
My Jeep Liberty was garbage.

I assume Grand Cherokees are similar.

View Quote

Jeep makes a few vehicles to meet lower price points, and you generally get what you pay for.

They also make some models where the price is the price.

Don't buy cheap Jeeps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a 23 GC and it's been great.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:00:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Butternut] [#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Going to look at one after work today...I don't keep vehicles around much beyond the factory warranty anyway, so I guess I shouldn't be super concerned about reliability too far down the road.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:22:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#8]
Originally Posted By Techsan02:
Going to look at one after work today...I don't keep vehicles around much beyond the factory warranty anyway, so I guess I shouldn't be super concerned about reliability too far down the road.
View Quote

If you aren't going to keep it long, I'd consider depreciation. If selling within 3-5 years, most vehicles in this segment shouldn't vary too much, but it's worth looking at.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Tons of electrical issues and we are starting to see the 3.6 (I think) engines come into the shop with blown head gaskets with less than 100k.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
New Grand Cherokee is a nice vehicle. I prefer the L with the rear captain"s seats. I'm looking at buying a Cherokee L Altitude. The higher end trims get spendy quick.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
Tons of electrical issues and we are starting to see the 3.6 (I think) engines come into the shop with blown head gaskets with less than 100k.
View Quote

Most of the 3.6 engine issues stem from the plastic oil filter housing.  They have been known to crack and leak oil into the valley.  This is usually caused by someone over torquing the oil filter cap.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#12]
We have a 2023, summit edition. Been great so far! We had a new 2020 prior, wife put 140K on it without issue and we moved her uk to this one last Christmas.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By inzane123:

Most of the 3.6 engine issues stem from the plastic oil filter housing.  They have been known to crack and leak oil into the valley.  This is usually caused by someone over torquing the oil filter cap.
View Quote

I think we replaced 3 of those this week. I did forget to mention that. We had one towed in towards the end of day Friday. Pretty sure it has a blown head gasket. Has white smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Grand Cherokees are Jeep's bread and butter. They're good to go.

Top Top