Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

3.5 ecoboost turbos (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: Today 11:05:34 AM EDT
Wife wants to look at a 2017 Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5 ecoboost in it. 110k miles. What is the life of the turbos on these? 150k? 200k? I know next to nothing about these engines.
Link Posted: Today 11:08:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#1]
They'll get you all the way to the tow truck.  Pretty much like everything else these days.  

They have some issues but I think it's more timing chains than turbos.
Link Posted: Today 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I love by 3.5, tons of power.

I have friends with 300k+ on their trucks.

Link Posted: Today 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Check if cam phasers are updated.  Although, if they aren't they would have shown by now.
Link Posted: Today 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know why their called "ECO" boost or "ECO" anything. My '17 onefiddy 3.5 EB got 16.8 MPG lifetime and 80% of that was highway. Thing did haul ass though.
Link Posted: Today 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#5]
My ecoboost, i think it was 2015? Early on anyway got to like 290k before I switched trucks.

It was just developing some rattle from the chain.

Gave it to one of the companies kids and he had the chain fixed and I think is still driving it.
Link Posted: Today 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 180k on my 2014 and haven't had an issue. *knock on wood*
Link Posted: Today 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the 2017+ should be good to go.
Link Posted: Today 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Modern turbos aren’t the turbos of yesteryear that were more susceptible to failure.  Water cooling alleviated a lot of the issues that were first seen with turbos as well as better production tolerances of engine parts.  

A 2017 would be before the dual port injection on those engines I believe.  While I have not heard of carbon build up issues it could be a possibility.  As mentioned in other posts the biggest issue those engines face are cam phaser and timing chain tensioner issues.  Why ford can’t produce these parts that don’t break I have no idea.  If it’s well maintained they are solid engines and you shouldn’t have to much of an issue.  I would change the oil long before the recommended mileage.  They go through spark plugs pretty quickly. The power the offer is incredible and makes for an enjoyable drive.
Link Posted: Today 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m my last F150 the turbos were good at 275K, but there were other issues that were starting to crop up.

I’ve heard of folks with turbo issues at 150K.

My son’s F150 has almost 130K and turbos still fine.
Link Posted: Today 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Good to know. She is gonna try to go look at it today while she is in town. If she likes it, we will go back tonight so I can give it a good going over.
Link Posted: Today 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#11]
There is EB 1 and EB 2.  2017 was cut off year.  That Lincoln, IIRC, has the newer version.  Cam phasers are the only real issue.  Took until 21 and three versions to get the cam phasers right.  Otherwise they make gobs of power and get decent mileage.  My 2018 Expedition is 4x4 with 3.73 gears.  I get 19-20 with cruise set on 80.
Link Posted: Today 11:35:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bjkb1f] [#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
Don't know why their called "ECO" boost or "ECO" anything. My '17 onefiddy 3.5 EB got 16.8 MPG lifetime and 80% of that was highway. Thing did haul ass though.
View Quote

It's Eco or Boost - one or the other.  I can baby mine and keep the boost low to non-existent and it will do great on MPGs.  The second boost comes into play, nope.  I couldn't care less about gas mileage, but I did want to see if the 17 city and 22 highway they claim is even remotely realistic.  So, I drove like my father in law for a couple weeks and I averaged over 19 MPG combined.

OP - if the cam phasers have been replaced, it's probably OK.  If they haven't and aren't making the telltale rattle, it's probably OK.  The stretched timing chain issue was on the previous version of the engine.  My '18 F150 EcoBeast has 103K on the clock.  Had the cam phasers replaced around 40K and the water pump at 99K.  Other than that, it's been great.  Knock on wood.  I had a '14 Explorer Sport and it had the stretched timing chain issue.  All of this was repaired under warranty, thankfully.
Link Posted: Today 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: Today 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 1387Delta:
My turbos had to be replaced at ~120,000 miles.  Loved my ecoboost up until then.
View Quote

Don't tell me that.

Link Posted: Today 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: Today 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a 2011 F150 that I had 250k on with no turbo issues.

I have an '18 now with 116k with no turbo issues.
Link Posted: Today 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: Today 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#18]
The jiffy fittings on the turbos will leak way before the turbos themselves fail.
Link Posted: Today 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Personally I think a big factor is oil change intervals and full synthetic oil.  My 12 f150 has 180k+ and only things I've done so far besides maintenance is water pump and coolant line for one turbo.
Link Posted: Today 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: Today 12:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#21]
21 3.5 EB F150, 106,000 miles. Only owned it about 6,000 miles, but it's nice and quiet. Think they redesigned the phasers for this gen. Gets 11mpg with the 12' enclosed trailer that lives behind it, but I only drive about 62mph.

Yes, mine has dual injection. Not sure how/when they operate, if it's load or boost or drive mode dependent.
Link Posted: Today 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Turbo failures aren't very common.

Cam phaser failure seem about as common as GM trucks with dead lights.
Link Posted: Today 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#23]
2016 expedition. 150k miles. No issues.
Link Posted: Today 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#24]
If you cannot afford turbos you shouldn’t drive a navigator
Link Posted: Today 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

View Quote
I have a 2003 Tahoe. In the 8 years I've owned it, I've only changed two headlight lamps. No drl lamps.
Link Posted: Today 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Colo303:
If you cannot afford turbos you shouldn't drive a navigator
View Quote
Who said I couldn't afford them? $1k in parts and a days labor. Just wanted to know if they are a issue with these engines.
Link Posted: Today 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Oil lines started to leak on my 2015 f150 at 160k miles.

Wasn’t anything to do with the turbos. Just the oil lines corroded out from the salt and shit on the roads.

Truck is a reserve in my fleet still. 190k miles and it’s fine. Needed a new set of cats on it because they were throwing a code.
Link Posted: Today 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 1387Delta:
My turbos had to be replaced at ~120,000 miles.  Loved my ecoboost up until then.
View Quote

What year?
Link Posted: Today 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Look up water pump failures.
Link Posted: Today 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a rule about fords

If it ain’t a truck, don’t keep it past 100k miles

Link Posted: Today 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd be less worried about the turbos and more worried about the leaky plastic oil pan and the cam phasers/timing set.

I just dumped my 2018 EB because the cam phasers died for a third time even though both times they were done they were the "updated" design
Link Posted: Today 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#32]
My 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 Eco has 188k + miles and turbos are fine.  I hope I didn’t just jinx them.
Link Posted: Today 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By slaphappy:
View Quote
External water pump. Not a problem. It's the transverse mounted engines that are behind the timing cover.
Link Posted: Today 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
I have a 2003 Tahoe. In the 8 years I've owned it, I've only changed two headlight lamps. No drl lamps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That just means you’ve been diligent with your DRL fluid changes.
Link Posted: Today 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
I owned a 2012 First gen eco for close to 8 years. I traded it with 90k on it.

Overall I didn't hate the truck but I didn't love it. It was somewhat snappy when you really got into it but would hard shift in the upper gears if you didn't let off the throttle.
I think my truck left the ECO portion of the motor at the factory. I got 15 around town and 12 on the interstate. I ended up trading it in for a 23 Trail boss with a 3.0l Duramax.

Pros:
Fairly reliable. It never left me stranded and I only did a few small repairs and basic maintenance.
Comfortable seats and interior, lots of room.
Good looking truck.

Cons:
Poor fuel mileage.
Constantly threw wheel weights. Dealerships and tire shops could never get them to stay on the wheels.
Cold start rattle - fixed under warranty (thank god)
Shudder issue under full throttle - fixed by drilling a hole in the intercooler
Popping noise in the front end that we could never find
Didn't handle the best in the snow/Ice
View Quote

Drill a hole in the intercooler?
Link Posted: Today 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By _Matt_:
I have a rule about fords

If it ain’t a truck, don’t keep it past 100k miles

View Quote

That's not far from the truth, but the difference between a Navigator and an F-150 is the box bolted to the top of the frame.
Link Posted: Today 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#37]
External water pump. Not a problem. It's the transverse mounted engines that are behind the timing cover.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slaphappy:

Correct.
Link Posted: Today 12:31:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#38]
Originally Posted By blownfour:
Modern turbos aren’t the turbos of yesteryear that were more susceptible to failure.  Water cooling alleviated a lot of the issues that were first seen with turbos as well as better production tolerances of engine parts.  

A 2017 would be before the dual port injection on those engines I believe.  While I have not heard of carbon build up issues it could be a possibility.  As mentioned in other posts the biggest issue those engines face are cam phaser and timing chain tensioner issues.  Why ford can’t produce these parts that don’t break I have no idea.  If it’s well maintained they are solid engines and you shouldn’t have to much of an issue.  I would change the oil long before the recommended mileage.  They go through spark plugs pretty quickly. The power the offer is incredible and makes for an enjoyable drive.
View Quote

All they have to do is go to a double roller timing chain [you know, like they used to use before they went to a bicycle chain (OK OK, a chinese mini bike chain)] and update the phasers and guides.
Link Posted: Today 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

All they have to do is go to a double roller timing chain [you know, like they used to use before they went to a bicycle chain (OK OK, a chinese mini bike chain)] and update the phasers and guides.
View Quote

Fords been fucking up cam phasers since at least the 5.4l.  Kinda in the same vane as gm and their lifter/dod problems. Decades of the same issue across multiple engine families and vehicles.
Link Posted: Today 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Eric at https://www.youtube.com/@I_Do_Cars has some videos on them

2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost MAJOR ENGINE FAILURE! Full Teardown W/

2012 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 EcoBoost COLOSSAL ENGINE DAMAGE Full Teardown

Ford F150 3.5L ECOBOOST Bad Engine Teardown! What Will I Find That Failed?

The last one is his oldest one...those are just the 3.5s
Link Posted: Today 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

2015 3.5 Ecoboost. This was my truck at 70k miles, fuel pump.

It has 129k miles now and has been bulletproof. I change the oil at 5k miles or less and baby the shit out of it.  I do love the truck though.
Link Posted: Today 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By kjedmondson182:
Check if cam phasers are updated.  Although, if they aren't they would have shown by now.
View Quote

^ this is an expensive repair!!!!
Link Posted: Today 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#43]
The 3.5 doesn't really have a problem with the turbos. It's a great engine.
Link Posted: Today 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ssndude:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ssndude:
Originally Posted By kjedmondson182:

Absolutely a pita to do yourself as well.
Link Posted: Today 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Wife wants to look at a 2017 Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5 ecoboost in it. 110k miles. What is the life of the turbos on these? 150k? 200k? I know next to nothing about these engines.
View Quote

I've heard of plenty of those 3.5 ecoboost trucks starting to blow smoke from the turbo seals before they make much past 100K miles. I think it just depends on how well they were taken care of, and how they kept up with oil changes.
Link Posted: Today 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By INI:
The jiffy fittings on the turbos will leak way before the turbos themselves fail.
View Quote

This.

Made it to ~180k before one of mine started leaking. Just replaced that one coolant line/fittings. All good since and at 216k now.
Link Posted: Today 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#47]
loved my 2018 3.5 right up until the cam phasers died at 93k.....
Link Posted: Today 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
21 3.5 EB F150, 106,000 miles. Only owned it about 6,000 miles, but it's nice and quiet. Think they redesigned the phasers for this gen. Gets 11mpg with the 12' enclosed trailer that lives behind it, but I only drive about 62mph.

Yes, mine has dual injection. Not sure how/when they operate, if it's load or boost or drive mode dependent.
View Quote

Your port injection is only working during idle. Any load it switches to direct injection per Brian( famous youtube Ford technician).
Link Posted: Today 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Life of the turbos, like life of every other lubricated components, is dependent on how people maintain the oil.

Link Posted: Today 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Three 3.5EBs, zero cam phaser replacements…
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
3.5 ecoboost turbos (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top