Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2024 1:31:08 AM EDT
I've had a notion to build a big whole shop dust collector for Yeats.   But finding a big turnkey impeller is pretty tough.  And the key to moving alot of air is diameter.   You want a BIG impeller to get the kind of airflow necessary for a system that captures all the fine particles and nut just the chips.

So I was thinking... what if I used my cnc wood router to cut curved slots in two pieces of plywood then used the 3d printer to make the curved blades to Epoxy into those slots?   I'm think 15" BC impeller on a 3hp motor.

Thoughts?

I know it's a doable project but I've never seen anyone use 3d printed materials for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen whole impellers printed. I saw one printed for a shop vacuum.

My concern is the balance. You are spinning at 1750 rpm and part do explode.

What are you going to do for the housing?
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
I have seen whole impellers printed. I saw one printed for a shop vacuum.

My concern is the balance. You are spinning at 1750 rpm and part do explode.

What are you going to do for the housing?
View Quote

My printer doesn't have the volume to do the whole impeller as one piece or I'd absolutely do that.

Plywood and sheet metal for the housing.  I'll use the router to cut a slot in the plywood to press the sheet metal into in a curve.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Airflow is one of those dark sciences...like magnetism or digital electronics.

Lots of theory to get it right ..but 1/2 a degree off and it won't work.

It sucks ..or it doesn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top