Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tesla says its Cybertruck will do zero to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds.

A bullet-resistant stainless-steel truck that accelerates like a Lamborghini.

With kids in the back seat, even.

View Quote

Yep impressive as hell let’s see them do it with RWD.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've never owned a drag car.  Some of you don't know how fast ice can be while still being reliable when you don't have to pass emissions lol.  I'm a hobbyist and not forced to follow the rules that oems are.  Take the government restrictions off ICE and you would be amazed what the oems are capable of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you daily drive a dragster that you built yourself? Can it go 100,000 miles before major service? Can you build a million of these and warranty them? This is the stupidest comparison ever.

I've never owned a drag car.  Some of you don't know how fast ice can be while still being reliable when you don't have to pass emissions lol.  I'm a hobbyist and not forced to follow the rules that oems are.  Take the government restrictions off ICE and you would be amazed what the oems are capable of.
Ah yes, the good old days of smog and all that stuff. Damn those fast EVs, if we could just all drive built turbo AWD cars with no emissions requirements we'd truly be living in the future.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep impressive as hell let's see them do it with RWD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep impressive as hell let's see them do it with RWD.
Why would they handicap themselves? It's so easy to make the EVs as AWD vehicles why would they choose to leave performance on the table if performance is a selling point in many cases.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No oxygen sensors, no transmissions, no exhaust systems, no oil changes, motors with only one moving part.
View Quote

Plain bearings?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I feel the same. Bring on the hate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give me diesel or gas any day over EV crap.

I feel the same. Bring on the hate.
Worry free recharging issues
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#6]
where can i buy one? whats the warranty like? runs on regular premium right?

if all you care about is fast you wouldn't be on 4 wheels anyway.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Electric drive is awesome.  Energy storage sucks, until the "big breakthrough" comes.  That may happen tomorrow, it may happen 200 years from now... anyone's guess.

On-board generation (hydrogen fuel cell, combustion-generation hybrid, etc.) is the best of all worlds, and would actually help make things better... so naturally the global elites do what they can to kill it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Arfcom ev threads are so delusional its unbearable.

Go look at the old tesla threads a few years back
They are filled with people screaming musk is a con man, that only an idiot would invest in his product that will never make it to market etc.

This forum has been overwhelmingly wrong about electric cars. The second there is a breakthrough in battery tech it's all over.
View Quote

Username irony
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I won't bash EVs but I love the sound and fury gas engines going like hell. EVs just seem to be more of programing in data and letting sensors and computers do their thing. While Gas and diesel take a lot of work to get everything right enough to go faster. I like seeing the results from a bunch of work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't bash EVs but I love the sound and fury gas engines going like hell. EVs just seem to be more of programing in data and letting sensors and computers do their thing. While Gas and diesel take a lot of work to get everything right enough to go faster. I like seeing the results from a bunch of work.
I'd be interested in a DD electric if I didn't live in the sticks.  

for fun though, ev is kind of meh.  There's some Tesla plaids that show up at the drag strip routinely, and it's just software racing.  Not very exciting.

now once the aftermarket world takes off, while different story.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only thing slower than an ev is a snail hauling a turtle.
View Quote

LOL, my wife's 6 seater grocery getter EV does 0-60 in 4 seconds and it's not even the performance version.

What's your benchmark car here?  A 2010 Nissan Leaf?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Call me back when a non nuke EV wins the cannonball run.
View Quote

If that's your criteria for buying a car, you need to fix your commute
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not old, not a boomer, but I like burning dead dinosaurs. And EVs suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old boomers hating everything they don't understand lol

Muh gasolineeeee

Evs are still gay though

Not old, not a boomer, but I like burning dead dinosaurs. And EVs suck.

Neither car in OP burns dead dinosaurs

Corn feed

gas cars are boring
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The  number of 500 range ICE vehicles is fairly slim and they take longer than 5 min to fill up.  I’d be more worried about low temperatures - that kills my model 3 range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll consider buying an EV when I can get a 500 mile charge in the 5 minutes it takes me to fill the tank on my ICE vehicle

Well if they can do 400 and 5 min charge AND doesn't cost a fortune and be offered in a full size suv.

The  number of 500 range ICE vehicles is fairly slim and they take longer than 5 min to fill up.  I’d be more worried about low temperatures - that kills my model 3 range.

The battery/range thing has a ways to go for sure.

That's why EVs are awesome 2nd cars but not awesome 1st cars.  We do well at my house with a gas supercrew F-150 and an EV Tesla.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

for fun though, ev is kind of meh.  There's some Tesla plaids that show up at the drag strip routinely, and it's just software racing.  Not very exciting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guy shows up in his DD Tesla, runs fast as fuck, wrecks most people with ICEs, has a great time, drives home comfortably. Rumrunner358 knows better though, the Tesla guy didn't have fun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to want the fastest cars but then I grew up
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why would they handicap themselves? It's so easy to make the EVs as AWD vehicles why would they choose to leave performance on the table if performance is a selling point in many cases.
View Quote

That’s the point.  EV engines themselves aren’t capable of making more power than ICE yet.  AWD is the advantage they have.  It’s easy to make over 1000 hp street able with ICE and state of the art ICE can make thousands of hp, but when limited by RWD it’s hard to compete with AWD.  I’m not against EV I’m against government mandates and only wanting people to understand the advantage of AWD.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Guy shows up in his DD Tesla, runs fast as fuck, wrecks most people with ICEs, has a great time, drives home comfortably. Rumrunner358 knows better though, the Tesla guy didn't have fun.
View Quote

Except AWD is illegal in most drag racing classes so the Tesla wouldn’t be allowed to race in any of the fun stuff like heads up small tire no prep.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]
The ignorance in this thread burns.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#19]
There is so much derp in this thread that I wouldn't even know where to start.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on what you're doing

I can appreciate that an ETOH car on a straight track with some complex wrench turning is a thing of beauty, where as a Tesla just drops numbers.

BUT, an EVs torque curve (straight line) in corners is hilarious and they have a VERY low center of gravity and add in regenerative braking to save the pads and boost range.

A Porsche or BMW EV in turns is a thing of beauty.

I spend a lot on tires.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Except AWD is illegal in most drag racing classes so the Tesla wouldn't be allowed to race in any of the fun stuff like heads up small tire no prep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except AWD is illegal in most drag racing classes so the Tesla wouldn't be allowed to race in any of the fun stuff like heads up small tire no prep.
Nobody fucking cares about drag racing class rules, that is the furthest thing from the minds of 99.99999999999% of buyers of any vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Plain bearings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No oxygen sensors, no transmissions, no exhaust systems, no oil changes, motors with only one moving part.

Plain bearings?

They have coolant and coolant pumps. The also have 4 wheels the move and steering components that move. They have brake calipers with moving parts. They have windows that move up and down.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'll consider buying an EV when I can get a 500 mile charge in the 5 minutes it takes me to fill the tank on my ICE vehicle
View Quote

Cue the thread about "zomg by the time I take a piss and eat my lunch my EV is all charged up, what are you complaining about!".
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it didn't look like something a 4 year old drew, I'd consider buying one.
Make it look like a regular truck with a frunk so you didn't need a storage box for all your crap in the bed.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's the point.  EV engines themselves aren't capable of making more power than ICE yet.  AWD is the advantage they have.  It's easy to make over 1000 hp street able with ICE and state of the art ICE can make thousands of hp, but when limited by RWD it's hard to compete with AWD.  I'm not against EV I'm against government mandates and only wanting people to understand the advantage of AWD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the point.  EV engines themselves aren't capable of making more power than ICE yet.  AWD is the advantage they have.  It's easy to make over 1000 hp street able with ICE and state of the art ICE can make thousands of hp, but when limited by RWD it's hard to compete with AWD.  I'm not against EV I'm against government mandates and only wanting people to understand the advantage of AWD.
AWD and monstrous low-end torque. But, again, most people aren't solely focused on 1/4 mile times and other than just a fun talking point for EVs they're doing it without sacrificing streetability.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Idk...

According to my buddy:

How do you plan to drive your Diesel or gas powered vehicles in the future when; the availability of fuel is limited and astronomically priced, registration for them is banned, restricted or priced crazy high, restrictions on when and where you can drive them, like HOV lanes. When they decide to drop the hammer on ICE vehicle use, it's not going to be like Red Barchetta where you can do outlaw driving on Sundays.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The point is the advantage of awd which most EV’s have and is ignored by most as the primary reason they are so quick.  My daily has ran faster than a Tesla plaid and I built the motor myself.  I also only have 40g in it.  Bought car for 15 and spent 25 on parts. I’m just a shade tree guy.  Imagine if the oem’ spur awd in little passenger cars with boosted V8’s then we would see an apples to apples comparison.  Or an ev that was rwd vs a modern ice muscle car.
View Quote
I want to hear about how your wife drops the kids off at school and swings by the grocery store in your inexpensive home-made dragster.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

If Tesla's Cybertruck hits production with its claims actualized, a Cybertruck will be my next truck.

I won't care that I will have the ugliest truck in 3 counties, or that I have to make "Vroom... Vroom" noises when I drive off.

Hopefully, the aftermarket will help with aesthetics:

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Only way is replaceable battery like a Milwaukee power tool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only way is replaceable battery like a Milwaukee power tool

It's never going to happen.  The idea was floated and abandoned a decade ago by Tesla and for lots of good reasons.  It would be a big limiter on range and reliability and it's probably be much more expensive.

The future is more range combined with faster and more ubiquitous charging.  It obviously matters but it doesn't need to match gas fill times perfectly because there's a convenience offset associated with the fact that you can charge while you sleep, eat, shop, ect whereas you absolutely can not with a gas car.  

In the interim, it's 100% a case of different tools for different applications.  EVs win hands down as commuter cars, grocery getters, and second vehicles where your normal daily driving is within the range range of the battery.  ICE wins hands down for towing and long distance driving.  If you are part of a two vehicle family, then it's obviously something to kick around.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? Who cares?

Why would anyone even want rear-wheel-drive only?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Figured someone would have stated this already but OP only has part of the picture.

Don't have experience against the Plaids but I drive a built awd STi with more power and less weight than a Model 3 Performance but there is no way I can match that cars 0-60 or mid 11's in the quarter.

Beyond being AWD, electric motors have the additional advantages of being able to output 100% of rated torque from 0 rpm as well as no shifting. An EV's power band starts out at max torque and decreases as RPMs go up. They effectively get a perfect launch from a dig every single time without effort.

However, this is also why they are kind of one-trick ponies. They fall off quickly past triple digits. While my STi is just getting started past 100mph and will happily cruise at 140 all day long, the Tesla M3P will struggle to get up there and will be very unhappy trying to hold it.

If you want to beat a Tesla, challenge it to a 40 roll. Most Tesla owners know this which is why you will get few takers and it has nothing to do with it being AWD.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Even 4 cylinder ICE are still faster than EV’s.

It’s all about the all wheel drive advantage.

Fastest EVO’s in the world
View Quote

lol

compare 4 door luxury car to caged racecar........

and 4 door wins 99% of the time
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Fastest production vehicle currently is the Tesla model S Plaid.

Quarter mile in 9.26 seconds. Faster than McClaren.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Beautiful!  Mods?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If Tesla's Cybertruck hits production with its claims actualized, a Cybertruck will be my next truck.

I won't care that I will have the ugliest truck in 3 counties, or that I have to make "Vroom... Vroom" noises when I drive off.

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/lifted-tesla-cybertruck-looks-like-a-stealth-hammer-139229_1.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/lifted-tesla-cybertruck-looks-like-a-stealth-hammer-139229_1.jpg

I have two of them on order.

Form follows function: they're elegantly beautiful bullet-resistant electric tanks.

If they have HALF the payload and towing capacity and acceleration and range that Tesla is claiming, they'll still be awesome trucks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't Fords 1400 already running 8.0 or so???  I don't get this thread, LOL
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lmao why

That argument is as retarded as the guys that got butthurt about turbo engines beating them
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nobody fucking cares about drag racing class rules, that is the furthest thing from the minds of 99.99999999999% of buyers of any vehicle.
View Quote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CANT HAVE AWD BECAUSE ITS NOT ALLOWED IN THE DRAG SHOWS RACES I PERFORM IN
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They have coolant and coolant pumps. The also have 4 wheels the move and steering components that move. They have brake calipers with moving parts. They have windows that move up and down.
View Quote
Are you trying to say that EVs are as complicated and need as much maintenance as ICE vehicles?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Make it look like a regular truck with a frunk so you didn't need a storage box for all your crap in the bed.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

The Cybertruck will never... ever happen in it's current form. It will look like a bar of soap by the time it falls into crash standards and such. (Which would probably make it look better)
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Form follows function: they're elegantly beautiful bullet-resistant electric tanks.

If they have HALF the payload and towing capacity and acceleration and range that Tesla is claiming, they'll still be awesome trucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

I really liked that they are coming out with (hopefully) a bed cover that has solar cells. Tesla claims that it can charge 15 miles from sunlight during your work day.  I have a 22 mile round-trip commute for work.  Kinda cool, but I probably won't get it due to cost-to-benefit ratio.  If I plug the damned thing in every day, I'll never have to deal with running out of power.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Cybertruck will never... ever happen in it's current form. It will look like a bar of soap by the time it falls into crash standards and such. (Which would probably make it look better)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

I dunno. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but my understanding is that the standards center around bumper height, waistline height, etc.

I can't see anything on the existing Cybertruck design that would be a no-no.  I suspect that it will go into production very similar to what we are seeing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then why do EV’s always bring up 1/4 mile times in every thread?  Traction is the number one issue in drag racing.  That’s the game of drag racing.  Tuning an engine and suspension to get the most power down with traction possible and competing against the tuning ability of the competition.  That is why awd is illegal.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Range has been the only deal-breaker, and the next generation of batteries will likely change that.
View Quote

LoL… They have been saying that for the last 100 years!
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The ignorance in this thread burns.
View Quote

Yep that’s why no one got the actual point of AWD being a huge advantage over RWD.  It was never an anti EV thread.  The entire purpose was to acknowledge the advantage of awd when EV owners talk about how fast they are in the 1/4 mile.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#46]
love my diesel

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Ev allows incredible advancement in technology. In the old days when you had engine management and traction control you closed the throttle to mitigate tire spin. You closed the throttle to shift, you cut timing to help control the variable and you had to do it to 100% of your engine. Now ev stuff can  send 100% to 3 wheels and 96 % to 1 wheel if its the slippin tire. Its less  fun then 300 ft smokeys but it is fast, new high end ev stuff is absolutely scary fast.
I guarantee all the nay sayers have never driven a tesla, or a taycan.  It definitely lacks the sound and the smell and the 3rd pedal but I promise its faster then anything 98% of this board has ever driven.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Then why do EV's always bring up 1/4 mile times in every thread?  Traction is the number one issue in drag racing.  That's the game of drag racing.  Tuning an engine and suspension to get the most power down with traction possible and competing against the tuning ability of the competition.  That is why awd is illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why do EV's always bring up 1/4 mile times in every thread?  Traction is the number one issue in drag racing.  That's the game of drag racing.  Tuning an engine and suspension to get the most power down with traction possible and competing against the tuning ability of the competition.  That is why awd is illegal.
Because it's an easy talking point. Again, it has nothing to do with what's legal or illegal in any specific drag racing class. Nobody cares.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I want to hear about how your wife drops the kids off at school and swings by the grocery store in your inexpensive home-made dragster.
View Quote

It’s not a dragster.  Still has full interior back seats etc.  Many are oblivious at how easy it is to run faster than 9.0 in the 1/4 with modern ICE technology.  This isn’t the 60’s where only race cars could do it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why? Who cares?

Why would anyone even want rear-wheel-drive only?
View Quote

The point of the thread...you missed it.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top