[Last Edit: bookertbab] [#2]
fudge em.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:44:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maxima2:
Peak America has passed and it was good.

View Quote

I, for one, did not experience that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ARmory04:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARmory04:
Originally Posted By maxima2:
Peak America has passed and it was good.

We had a good run.  

Though all societies run pretty much the same course.  We are heading into the bad part of that course.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Stupid folks are too clueless to hide their ignorance and in some cases parade it around because it triggers others.  Therein you end up with a perception of more ignorance than actually exists.  Some folks know what they don't know.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TARFUN:
While they are at it, they should ban DiHydrogen Monoxide.  That shit destroys billions of dollars worth of material and kills thousands of people each year.
View Quote

It’s a greenhouse gas.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

It’s a greenhouse gas.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Originally Posted By TARFUN:
While they are at it, they should ban DiHydrogen Monoxide.  That shit destroys billions of dollars worth of material and kills thousands of people each year.

It’s a greenhouse gas.

That's why I bought a yeller house!
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
There’s no way I’m gonna read the whole thread, but Americans are even dumber than you think they are. Arabic numerals were actually created an India by the Hindus, co-opted by the Arabs, and introduced to the Europeans, who called them Arabic Because Europeans were first exposed to them through the Arabs. So actually, by calling Indian/Hindu numerals Arabic, we are being Eurocentric and Perpetuating white supremacy.

Hey I’m pretty good at this woke bullshit!
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Real Arabic numerals, or the modern India-developed version?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
We want Roman numerals!
View Quote

Absolutely!    

All engineering should be done in Roman numerals from now on....  

... perhaps Boeing is ahead of this, and used Roman numerals for all the Starliner engineering?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]
GD is acting all high and mighty over this but come back in a few days with the same poll here and I'd bet you'd end up with the same percentage.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:
Don't forget your abacus, junior!
View Quote

Right next to my slide rule.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By akrado:
Maybe because Arabian anything is usually shitty and dangerous?  

Algebra?  Licks rocks too.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Firearmsenthusiast:
Ah yes, Algebra and the Arabic number system. A reminder of a once great civilization before it was destroyed by Islam.
View Quote

I don't know if you're joking or stupid but 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 are the Arabic numerals.

@akrado
@Firearmsenthusiast

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By grambosc:
Real Arabic numerals, or the modern India-developed version?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481717/Seiko-5-Arabic-Dial-SNK063J5-4_jpg-3306183.JPG
View Quote

Both are from India originally, it's just that the ones we're most familiar with were in wide use in the North Africa when North Africa was also in Europe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

I mean, Carlin was a comedian so he isn’t going for accuracy, but if you don’t see how that statement is mathematically problematic you might be on the lower side of the spectrum.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR4U:
Originally Posted By BB:
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
Yes. Yes they are.

Wearing this one out LOL
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjoHcEN-TIO5Y7CzlK3PBj8y-kBScD0a0S0Q&s
I once posted something similar here and had someone vociferously argue.

I mean, Carlin was a comedian so he isn’t going for accuracy, but if you don’t see how that statement is mathematically problematic you might be on the lower side of the spectrum.

The only way I see this as problematic, is that you have X % of people all at the median, which would reduce either side of the curve by 0.5X%.

So, if you have 10% at the median then only 45% would be dumber than median.

But, it's been a few decades since taking a stats class.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Clown world
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:03:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andr0id] [#18]
Originally Posted By Antisocial1:

The only way I see this as problematic, is that you have X % of people all at the median, which would reduce either side of the curve by 0.5X%.

View Quote

IQ is a BELL fucking curve. Median = Mean = Mode by definition.

So yes, 1/2 of the people are in fact stupider than the MATHEMATICAL average.

To get IQ specific though, 68% of the people's IQs are from 85 - 105, but yes, Carlin is 100% correct. "Below" average starts at 99.9 IQ and goes down from there which is 50% of the people.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Andr0id:

To get IQ specific though, 68% of the people's IQs are from 85 - 105, but yes, Carlin is 100% correct. "Below" average starts at 99.9 IQ and goes down from there which is 50% of the people.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231998/iq-test-range-score-bell-curve-wecapable-3306385.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231998/iq-test-range-score-bell-curve-wecapable-3306385.JPG

So, lets say you have a population of 1,000,000 people with a median IQ of 100.  

Let's also assume 100,000 people have a 100 IQ.  

That leaves 900,000 people to fill in both sides of the distribution...equally.  

That would be 450,000 on either side of the mean.  Or said another way...45% of the population has an IQ lower than the mean.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

IQ doesn't mean what people think it means. The human mind is not a computer but analogies can be drawn.

In this model "IQ" is how fast someone's processor is, how many cores it has, how much memory the PC has, and the speed and capacity of the hard drive. People with a high IQ learn faster and easier. They can remember more of what they learn. They have an easier time of integrating what they have learned into an overall understanding of things. And, as learning is easier for high IQ people, they often spend more time doing it.

At the human BIOS level you have various other mental conditions such as ADHD, schizophrenia, depression, etc. These are largely hard coded things in someone's brain, perhaps set in early childhood, which the person has to work through.

You then have the OS level which is essentially a person's culture. What languages they speak, what values have they been taught, things like that.

And then you have their education and experience which is the equivalent of the applications which have been installed in their brains. Naturally some of the more advanced software (like theoretical physics) won't run very well, or at all, on low end hardware. And much of what is taught today is actually malware, which reduces the person's ability to think.

As it relates to Arabic numerals, this is not an IQ issue. You can take a person with a 75 IQ and teach him that the numbers he has managed to learn came from the Arabs (I know, it was India) and are called Arabic numerals. Or you can take someone with a 125 IQ and never give him that information and he won't know what Arabic numerals are.

In short, this is an educational failure.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Might want to let people know that the number system is called Arabic numbers, is pre Islam. The Islamists claim it, but it existed centuries before Islam took hold.

I like to call it, Pre Islamic Arab number system.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:16:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAD762] [#22]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR4U:
Originally Posted By BB:
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
Yes. Yes they are.

Wearing this one out LOL
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjoHcEN-TIO5Y7CzlK3PBj8y-kBScD0a0S0Q&s
I once posted something similar here and had someone vociferously argue.

Perfectly valid problem as well.

But on a simpler level, IQ scores aren’t evenly distributed so you’d have to find their central tendency with a median as opposed to an average.

But if carlins joke was “Think of how stupid the median person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”  His joke would have fallen flat because:

A - median intelligence in the US isn’t really that low.

And

2 - he would have lost the lower half of the bell curve that doesn’t know what a median is.

Admittedly, IQ tests are normalized so that this isn’t such an huge issue, but still.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top