BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2023 10:18:26 PM EDT
I’ve got a

6.5 Grendel (deer and hogs)

6.5 Creedmoor (mule deer and antelope)

6.5 PRC ???  Elk ????

Is it really the same thing plus 200 fps?

What does it do really well?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can kill elk just fine with a 6.5 creed. Don't be a tard, know your and the rounds limitations and it will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
7 SAUM is a better cartridge. It’s what the 6.5 PRC should’ve been.

To your question OP, it’s slightly better for larger game than CM. Both will kill an elk within reason.

That said I prefer the 7 SAUM for that job.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
7 SAUM is a better cartridge. It’s what the 6.5 PRC should’ve been.
View Quote
Good luck finding brass.  Or ammo.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good luck finding brass.  Or ammo.
View Quote

Hey I just got another 50 rounds of ADG brass after being on back order over a year.

They had it in stock on ADGs website for about 5 minutes about six months ago.

Given the demand for brass, it’s definitely going through a well deserved rebirth at the moment among the LR crowd. Just need some major manufacturers to start supporting it again.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I love shooting long range target and I have a RPR 6.5 CM and a RPR 6.5 PRC.
If I were to do it again, I'd replace the RPR 6.5 PRC with a rifle that shoots the 7MM PRC.
I don't think that the reloading and shooting costs for the 6.5 PRC are worth it for the slight performace increase over the 6.5 CM.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I would say it does what the creed does better.

I don’t really think of it as a magnum step above 6.5 CM.

Now 6mm PRC would be a definite step up from 6.5creed, but then again there’s the 6mm creed, and really you get better barrel life with 6CM, and a .24 bullet is small.

I would say 6mmCM for short action handy carrying 20”-22” rifle and either a RUM RSAUM or something from Wheatherby would be better as heavier  24-26” magnum build. I would go with something between .28-.35”
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]
6.5 PRC is relatively popular because it gives you some added kinetic energy at longer ranges that people prefer for hunting Western game.  All while in a short action.

As others have noted, there are probably better cartridges for this, if that's you're reasoning, although some people probably like the synergy of good BC and lower recoil from 6.5 PRC.

Most of the tests I have seen say if you want a more powerful hunting round for added safety buffer at range, the 7 PRC is the way to go. Sure, its a long action round, but I dont really see that as a negative.

If this is just about pounding steel... well, 6mm is what almost everyone in PRS shoots.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]
6.5 Precision Rifle Cartridge was designed for shooting competition.

It is a factory Sammi version of George Gardners 6.5 GAP 4S. It was designed for shooting heavy high BC 6.5 bullets in long distance high wind competitions.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to go farther than 6.5 CM, and or hit a game animal harder than a 6.5 CM., a 6.5mm diameter pill is a pretty small choice to do it.  If you need more, get more.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Op all those game animals can be effectively taken with 6.5cm if your shooting them at 1-400 yds

The PRC delivers proper performance/deformation of the bullet from 1-600yds

So as you reach out further it becomes much more useful if you care about “effectiveness”

https://youtu.be/AeUztOFGkVE
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Just yesterday some old guy started talking about 6.5 PCC when I was doing my usual BS’ing with one of my parts guys.

Had never heard of it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Laughs in 300PRC
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hey I just got another 50 rounds of ADG brass after being on back order over a year.

Given the demand for brass, it’s definitely going through a well deserved rebirth at the moment among the LR crowd. Just need some major manufacturers to start supporting it again.
View Quote
Its a really neat round, I had one in a Model 7 years ago....but even then, brass/ammo was unobtanium, COVID only made it worse.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Its a really neat round, I had one in a Model 7 years ago....but even then, brass/ammo was unobtanium, COVID only made it worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw over on the Hide guys are necking the 6.5 PRC up to 7. Don't know how close that comes to 7SAUM but the brass is probably going to be easier to find forever
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I wanted a “do it all” light weight mountain rifle, so I built a 7lb 6.5PRC and absolutely love it. 1/2moa with factory ammo, 300fps faster than 6.5cm, and it still shoots soft enough to be very pleasant. In fact, suppressed it shoots amazingly soft.

I also have a 7 SAUM (and a 7 rem mag). I really like the 7 SAUM, but unless I was shooting bison/moose, or shooting past 1k yards I’d rather shoot the 6.5PRC.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I have 6.5 Grendel
6.5 creedmoor
6.5 prc
.26.  Nosler

6.5 prc excels at prs match’s and longer range hunting.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
7 SAUM is a better cartridge. It's what the 6.5 PRC should've been.

To your question OP, it's slightly better for larger game than CM. Both will kill an elk within reason.

View Quote

You misspelled 28 Nosler.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:23:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To your question OP, it's slightly better for larger game than CM. Both will kill an elk within reason.

The long-skinny 28 Nosler packs a punch but has nowhere near the accuracy potential of the SAUM/PRC. I’ve seen a lot of 1/4moa 7SAUMs and I’ve never seen a 28 Nosler that could even manage 1moa. Most published tests I’ve read show it averaging over 1.3moa. That’s not very impressive in 2023. Meanwhile the 7 SAUM crowd is out banging steel at over a mile just for fun.

28 Nosler is still cool though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The long-skinny 28 Nosler packs a punch but has nowhere near the accuracy potential of the SAUM/PRC. I've seen a lot of 1/4moa 7SAUMs and I've never seen a 28 Nosler that could even manage 1moa. Most published tests I've read show it averaging over 1.3moa. That's not very impressive in 2023. Meanwhile the 7 SAUM crowd is out banging steel at over a mile just for fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The long-skinny 28 Nosler packs a punch but has nowhere near the accuracy potential of the SAUM/PRC. I've seen a lot of 1/4moa 7SAUMs and I've never seen a 28 Nosler that could even manage 1moa. Most published tests I've read show it averaging over 1.3moa. That's not very impressive in 2023. Meanwhile the 7 SAUM crowd is out banging steel at over a mile just for fun.

LOL wut?

I was working for a custom rifle builder right when 28 Nosler became the new hotness in MT/Idaho for long range elk hunting, before the PRC's came out.  We built a bunch of them with Proof barrels and every single one shot sub 0.5MOA with factory Nosler Accubonds.  We loved the 28 because it wasn't picky and we didn't have to do load work up for the accuracy-proofing, we'd just grab a box of Accubonds and go shoot a tiny group.

I'd like to know which company's rifles skewed those numbers.  A survey asking the accuracy complainers about their rifle would be very telling.  I'd put money on Christensen fucking up the perception of the round because we knew they were dogshit and they were one of the few early off-the-shelf options with that chambering.  With all that we heard and saw in the shop, our advice was to stay the hell away from Christensen.  We also had a customer bring in his Nosler-branded rifle in 30 Nosler and it was garbage.

Every customer we built a rifle for in 28 Nosler absolutely loved it.  I guarantee the bad reputation is due to the guns and/or bad builders, not the round itself.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

LOL wut?

I was working for a custom rifle builder right when 28 Nosler became the new hotness in MT/Idaho for long range elk hunting, before the PRC's came out.  We built a bunch of them with Proof barrels and every single one shot sub 0.5MOA with factory Nosler Accubonds.  We loved the 28 because it wasn't picky and we didn't have to do load work up for the accuracy-proofing, we'd just grab a box of Accubonds and go shoot a tiny group.

I'd like to know which company's rifles skewed those numbers.  A survey asking the accuracy complainers about their rifle would be very telling.  I'd put money on Christensen fucking up the perception of the round because we knew they were dogshit and they were one of the few early off-the-shelf options with that chambering.  With all that we heard and saw in the shop, our advice was to stay the hell away from Christensen.  We also had a customer bring in his Nosler-branded rifle in 30 Nosler and it was garbage.

Every customer we built a rifle for in 28 Nosler absolutely loved it.  I guarantee the bad reputation is due to the guns and/or bad builders, not the round itself.

View Quote

I personally can’t comment on the 28 Noslers accuracy potential. Ballistically it certainly packs a punch.

Reason I like the SAUM so much is balance. As the other poster mentioned it is superbly accurate in my experience. Zero issues getting 1/4 MOA groups. Recoil is mild, barrel life is good for its capability. All done in a lightweight short action. It is perfectly appropriate for anything in the lower 48.

The 28 Nosler is a great elk cartridge, but it’s a barrel burner. Recoil is noticeably stouter. It’s a bit much for antelope and smaller deer IMO.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#24]
6.5 PRC does everything its little brother does just slightly better.

There are people out there who weren't comfortable with the 6.5 Creedmoor on certain times of game (people who are wrong). PRC just gets you a little bit of extra headroom, which is important under certain conditions.

If you want to know the in depth why listen to this:

Now that 7 PRC is a thing, I think it squeezes out the market for the 6.5 PRC guys.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL wut?

View Quote

There is an entire science behind the inherent accuracy of a cartridge. The most inherently accurate cartridge designs make it easy to create accurate rifles.

Nosler's methodology behind just throwing more powder behind it is an antiquated way of approaching it. There are better offerings for those who aren't solely chasing velocity.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have 6.5 Grendel
6.5 creedmoor
6.5 prc
.26.  Nosler

View Quote

I've never seen anyone shooting 6.5 PRC in a match... ever.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There are people out there who weren't comfortable with the 6.5 Creedmoor on certain times of game (people who are wrong). PRC just gets you a little bit of extra headroom, which is important under certain conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9zxCWyd4_E

Now that 7 PRC is a thing, I think it squeezes out the market for the 6.5 PRC guys.
View Quote

The “problem” with 7 PRC is the fact it’s a LA cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#28]
OP you nailed it on your first post... its just a faster 6.5, aint no magic involved.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's wrong with a LA?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Have a custom 7SAUM and am very happy with it.  It's a hammer.  Shot a cow elk last month at 406 yards and destroyed her front shoulders.  She dropped within feet of where she was shot.  180 Bergers at a little over 2800fps.

IMHO, anything 6/6.5 is too small for bears or elk.  I say this after watching a small bear shot three times with a 6.5somethingorother at maybe 250 yards, and helping people track elk shot with a 6.5. I think it's a great deer and coyote round, but it's basically a .243.
With proper shot placement, it will work, but there are better choices for bigger game.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have 6.5 Grendel
6.5 creedmoor
6.5 prc
.26.  Nosler

It was originally designed as a PRS round, and was intended to be the penultimate PRS round (damn near 10 years ago).

The intention was to better stretch out past 1000 Yards, and extract the maximum potential of a 6.5 in a Short Action, by utilizing the highest BC 6.5 Projectiles at the velocity limit.

There are certain conditions where the difference will really excel.

Now that most of PRS is Long Range Yoga, of course the heavy 6's are favorable.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9zxCWyd4_E

Agreed.

But for the average person who already has a 6.5 Creedmoor, the jump to having a 7 PRC makes a lot more sense than getting a 6.5 PRC.

I'll just own both because why not, but most people would be advantaged by the jump.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What's wrong with a LA?
View Quote

Nothing is wrong with it, some people prefer it for weight reasons and action stiffness.

My SAUM is on a SA and I like it because I swap between 6.5 CM and SAUM barrels based on what I’m doing.

The 7 PRC really doesn’t offer much ballistic advantage over the SAUM but has to be built on a LA. It’s a minor ding against it, but it’s still a disadvantage.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Yep since no one uses it for matches and 7 PRC exists there is no reason for it really. I wouldn't buy or build one at this point.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nothing is wrong with it, some people prefer it for weight reasons and action stiffness.

My SAUM is on a SA and I like it because I swap between 6.5 CM and SAUM barrels based on what I’m doing.

The 7 PRC really doesn’t offer much ballistic advantage over the SAUM but has to be built on a LA. It’s a minor ding against it, but it’s still a disadvantage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's wrong with a LA?

lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote

The 7 PRC beats the SAUM by only about 100-150 fps. It’s like comparing 308 to 30-06. That difference can be negated by building the SAUM on a medium or LA allowing bullets to be seated further out allowing for more powder capacity.

Meanwhile the 28 Nosler beats the SAUM by well over 300 FPS.

The PRC has its place, but if I’m going to make the jump to a LA, I’d want a bit “more.” Might as well get a 300 PRC and call it good.

Whenever I get around to building a LA precision/hunting rig, it will probably be 300 PRC as I already have a 7 SAUM.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I somehow ended up with 2 boxes of Norma 6.5 PRC 140 Practice ammo.  Needs gone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The 7 PRC beats the SAUM by only about 100-150 fps. It’s like comparing 308 to 30-06. That difference can be negated by building the SAUM on a medium or LA allowing bullets to be seated further out allowing for more powder capacity.

The PRC has its place, but if I’m going to make the jump to a LA, I’d want a bit “more.” Might as well get a 300 PRC and call it good.

Whenever I get around to building a LA precision/hunting rig, it will probably be 300 PRC as I already have a 7 SAUM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

It's not about strict velocity, but projectile weight and class.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It was originally designed as a PRS round, and was intended to be the penultimate PRS round (damn near 10 years ago).

The intention was to better stretch out past 1000 Yards, and extract the maximum potential of a 6.5 in a Short Action, by utilizing the highest BC 6.5 Projectiles at the velocity limit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have 6.5 Grendel
6.5 creedmoor
6.5 prc
.26.  Nosler

6.5 prc excels at prs match's and longer range hunting.

This is the truth. Having been in competitive long range shooting long before the PRS was a thing it's been interesting to watch the pendulum swing back and forth. At this point, with the Long Range Yoga being so entrenched in "PRS" I think it would take willpower we'll never see from match directors to change the course of PRS but there was a time not long after the medium-sized 6.5s like the .260Rem and 6.5Creedmoor ascended where the push was for even bigger cartridges in 6.5mm in short action rifles and that's where we got stuff like the 6.5SAUM and some time later the 6.5PRC.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's not about strict velocity, but projectile weight and class.

View Quote

SAUM has no problem pushing heaviest of 7mm bullets out of a medium and long action. It also works in a SA, unlike the PRC.

That makes it a bit more versatile, which is my point.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have 6.5 Grendel
6.5 creedmoor
6.5 prc
.26.  Nosler

What’s you guys match schedule down there?  I might be able to make time to come shoot one. Not much danger of doing very good but always up to see some different targets.  Then at least you will have seen one 6.5 prc shoot a match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top