Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2024 4:38:29 PM EDT
Tell me why I don't want to go this route and just replace w/ OEM.

Here's the specific part

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I've thought about this as well. I'm at 105,000 and no problems yet. I am going to put the S&S disaster prevention kit on.

It seems like if you buy good fuel and run an additive, the likelihood of failure goes way down.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Pros - Will not nuke itself and cost you $10k in fuel system repairs.  DCR puts out 25% more fuel to the injectors.  DCR bolts right up with no modifications.  DCR has fewer moving parts.  

Cons - Price.  $2k seems crazy high to me when considering most people have to hire someone to do the work which will add to an already inflated cost.

I’m at the crossroads now… she’s got just over 200k and runs great. CP4 does have a disaster kit installed but even those aren’t fool proof.  Do I keep it and install the DCR or face the prospect of upgrading to a newer truck with fewer miles with a DCR installed?

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:12:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AMERIKINSHIP] [#3]
Pre-ordered one and it’s been sitting on the shelf since last summer-ish. If I have a catastrophic failure before I get around to installing it…
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:20:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#4]
Thanks guys.

My truck has 125K miles and has shut down on me a few times.  The thing runs fantastic.... until it shuts off.
This happens when I get into it.  Once while towing and climbing a mountain.

Computer hook-up shows low fuel pressure.  We believe this thing will cure the problem for good.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:
Thanks guys.

My truck has 125K miles and has shut down on me a few times.  The thing runs fantastic.... until it shuts off.

Computer hook-up shows low fuel pressure.  We believe this thing will cure the problem for good.
View Quote

There are some things that could be causing your issue that a DCR would not fix.  Has anyone done the troubleshooting to know it is the CP4 HPFP?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lucky_13:

There are some things that could be causing your issue that a DCR would not fix.  Has anyone done the troubleshooting to know it is the CP4 HPFP?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thanks guys.

Short answer:  Yes.

What are those other things?  I can use all the help I can get!
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By L2Free:
Pros - Will not nuke itself and cost you $10k in fuel system repairs.  DCR puts out 25% more fuel to the injectors.  DCR bolts right up with no modifications.  DCR has fewer moving parts.  

Cons - Price.  $2k seems crazy high to me when considering most people have to hire someone to do the work which will add to an already inflated cost.

I’m at the crossroads now… she’s got just over 200k and runs great. CP4 does have a disaster kit installed but even those aren’t fool proof.  Do I keep it and install the DCR or face the prospect of upgrading to a newer truck with fewer miles with a DCR installed?

View Quote

@L2Free

I thought S&S gen2 disaster prevention kits were as close to fool proof as possible.  Not the case?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:43:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lucky_13] [#8]

Short answer:  Yes.

What are those other things?  I can use all the help I can get!
View Quote

Any metal in your fuel filter?
Have you done any other mods to your truck?
Had any bodywork done on the truck or has the bed been off?

Some of the things that come to mind:

Water in the diesel
Fuel rail issues
A kinked fuel line
Clogged fuel filter
Bad aftermarket fuel filters/damaged or miss-sized o-rings
Anything else that could be causing cavitation in fuel supply or backup in return
Electrical issues to go along with anything in the fuel system

The CP4 is absolutely the weak link, but it is far from the only thing that can go wrong.  That said, dropping $2k on a part without knowing that is the issue may not feel good when your truck still dies going up hills.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 12:07:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AMERIKINSHIP] [#9]

@L2Free

I thought S&S gen2 disaster prevention kits were as close to fool proof as possible.  Not the case?
View Quote

To me the disaster prevention kits are basically foolproof. But you still have the expense of the kit and the install. Then if you end up needing it, you’re more money into another pump. And then you’re doing another install. For me the DCR made sense because I am also wanting to tune it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#10]

@L2Free

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By L2Free:

@L2Free

If I recall correctly, mine is a gen 1, and with a bit of research, they were susceptible to allowing some metal through although not as bad as one without the kit.  Thus far I'm reluctant to drop $2k on a pump, plus mechanic fees since I'm not a diesel tech, I just play one on arf.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AMERIKINSHIP:

To me the disaster prevention kits are basically foolproof. But you still have the expense of the kit and the install. Then if you end up needing it, you’re more money into another pump. And then you’re doing another install. For me the DCR made sense because I am also wanting to tune it.
View Quote

Version one isn't guaranteed to catch everything. The new version sends the fuel through a filter and supposedly works better. I haven't bought one yet, but I have yet to find someone who has needed one of these yet to ask how it worked.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I need to get the disaster prevention kit. Mine's a '16 and stock down the paper air filter with only 65k, but the pump just seems to be a time bomb.

The conversion seems to be a decent fix from doing some reading about it
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Agilt:
I need to get the disaster prevention kit. Mine's a '16 and stock down the paper air filter with only 65k, but the pump just seems to be a time bomb.

The conversion seems to be a decent fix from doing some reading about it
View Quote

You should consider replacing the intercooler cold side hose. These are a known weak point and if they fail, your stuck on the side of the road. I bought the S&B version, and it's nice.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By macloud:

You should consider replacing the intercooler cold side hose. These are a known weak point and if they fail, your stuck on the side of the road. I bought the S&B version, and it's nice.
View Quote

Well, essentially stock. Mine blew apart about a mile from the house last year. Thankfully I was able to limp it home and the local oreillys had one of the Dorman replacements in stock.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Agilt:

Well, essentially stock. Mine blew apart about a mile from the house last year. Thankfully I was able to limp it home and the local oreillys had one of the Dorman replacements in stock.
View Quote

Been thinking about a disaster kit.  Not 100 sure. I’ve got 220k.

I did lose the cold side charge pipe. Got a silicone/kevlar one from smeding diesel.  Truck was not happy when that popped.

Been a great truck. Especially after fixing the exhaust.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 12:54:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K5FAL] [#16]
I’m kind of new at this stuff but I’ve read a lot of posts on the TDI forums saying to stick with b5 because supposedly it adds to the lubricity of the fuel and helps keep the HPFP from self-detonation.

There is also a disaster plate for the TDI’s available and it ain’t cheap.

My mechanic says if it goes he will charge $4,700 to clean all the parts out of the system and replace the pump.  This is on the 2.0 CKRA.

I’ve read that Diesel fuel with 1% gasoline contamination is all it takes.  Therefore, I always fill up at half a tank to mitigate that risk.  You never know when some trucker f’d up and put the wrong hose in the wrong place at the station.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AMERIKINSHIP] [#17]
Originally Posted By K5FAL:
I’m kind of new at this stuff but I’ve read a lot of posts on the TDI forums saying to stick with b5 because supposedly it adds to the lubricity of the fuel and helps keep the HPFP from self-detonation.

There is also a disaster plate for the TDI’s available and it ain’t cheap.

My mechanic says if it goes he will charge $4,700 to clean all the parts out of the system and replace the pump.  This is on the 2.0 CKRA.

I’ve read that Diesel fuel with 1% gasoline contamination is all it takes.  Therefore, I always fill up at half a tank to mitigate that risk.  You never know when some trucker f’d up and put the wrong hose in the wrong place at the station.
View Quote

I don't think you are mitigating anything by filling up at half a tank. Nothing wrong with it, so if it gives you peace of mind, fine. But that's kinda nonsense IMO. I've heard of lots of different horror stories, but never one involving the fuel delivery guy dumping the wrong product in the stations tanks. That is such an outside chance it is not even remotely worth worrying about. And if they ever did that somebody would be paying for your new fuel system and any other affected components. And they would not try to wriggle out of it either. Totally cut and dried situation. Might take a minute to get it handled, but it would be.

The main thing you want to do is use a station with high fuel turnover. That's pretty much it...
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:07:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#18]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Odd that you consider it a very low failure rate part when nearly 100% of them fail before 200K miles.

They just don’t get fixed at the dealership because they’ve long since been deleted to get to that many miles.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:
Odd that you consider it a very low failure rate part when nearly 100% of them fail before 200K miles.

They just don't get fixed at the dealership because they've long since been deleted to get to that many miles.
View Quote

Where is that number coming from?  I have a stock 2015 F250 and everything I've seen has been around DEF/water in the fuel.  If that isn't true, I'd like to know....
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I work in ag, Ford diesels are the most common truck here.

Emissions problems, death wobble, and CP4 failures happen to almost all of them.  

A friend of mine has a very successful shop that specializes in diesels and will tell you the same thing. It’s not if, it’s when it goes out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Death wobble?
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Death wobble?
View Quote

It's where the truck will unexpectedly vibrate wildly as the steering wheel goes back and forth rapidly. It happened to me once at 60 mph. I hit a bump and by the time I regained control, I had moved from the center lane to the right shoulder. Ford did modify something in the steering and it hasn't happened again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#25]

It's where the truck will unexpectedly vibrate wildly as the steering wheel goes back and forth rapidly. It happened to me once at 60 mph. I hit a bump and by the time I regained control, I had moved from the center lane to the right shoulder. Ford did modify something in the steering and it hasn't happened again.
View All Quotes
Death wobble?

That happened to me as well.  It was supposed to have been modified by the time I bought it.

Do you know what the modification(s) are?
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Death wobble is usually due to worn components. You may not see it with just a little bit worn tie rod end, but 2 tie rod ends with play, along with some ball bad ball joints in your knuckle etc., will get you death wobbling and hanging on for dear life. I think most of the time worn components can be diagnosed and replaced, but every once in a while guys struggle getting it under control. If you just shotgun method parts at it, it's about like anything else on a vehicle, you may or ma not get it.

Every once in a while it's just an inherently shit design that helps it rear it's head, looking at you Dodge with your y-style steering.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Fords will death wobble from brand new. I had a ‘19 F250 that did it in under 2K miles. My business partner had a ‘20 that did it enough times inside of 8K miles that he traded it off.

Trying to push the front axle with rear mounted radius arms is just a bad design.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Pretty good explanation here.

Death wobble explained
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top