Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 315
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alacran:

I’d say we strongly disagree here.  I’ve never heard the barrage of threats involving nuclear weapons more at any time than it is right now.  I definitely don’t recall any threats from Russia back in the 90s.  The concern back then was more that they would be sold on the black market and end up in the hands of a terrorist nation or group.  Again, it was speculation at that time, not threats.

Today, it not just threats from Russia, it from both sides.  Again, this is not normal.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrtMQwThhA

Medvedev says the West will not respond if Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine; the Western leaders do not wish to die in nuclear flame.

My question to him is, “You think we won’t escalate?  Why not?  You did.”

This is referring to something I brought up much earlier in this thread regarding the AI game Balance of Power.  Everyone thinks they can escalate, but the other side will not dare because … who really knows.  But they are almost always wrong.

The unthinkable now appears to be on everyone’s mind.  

And we thought the whole world changed when some virus from China made headlines?

The whole world *did* change because of some virus from ChinaIsAsshoe.

Thing is, the "unthinkable" has been on people's minds for longer than most people on here (including me) have been alive. We can't even say it's been less likely until now because it's been at least as likely in the past. We just talk about it more now that we think it's becoming more likely again.

I guess you missed my point on the scale that a nuclear war, even a limited one, would be compared to a hyped pandemic scare generated by media and governments to initiate a power grab.   Pushing the nuclear button is also pushing the Great Reset button.  Afterwards, freedom as we knew it will be no more.

Before, nuclear war was unthinkable because no one genuinely wanted it. The scare back in the 1960s was real but the scare during the 1980s was mostly generated by media as a political weapon against Ronald Reagan to make him look like a madman.  Today, madmen are actually in charge with the media downplaying the nuclear possibility as much as possible by making the actual threats by Russia and the West look like normal chest thumping by nations in possession of nuclear weapons.  It isn’t normal, not at all.

Nukes will go off because it’s part of the big agenda.  It’s now escalating to the point where politicians & the media are throwing out the validity of using a first strike option because Ukraine really is that important.

I'll disagree here. Nuclear war isn't more likely now than it has been during high tension times in the past. Remember, the Russian military (and the mafia-like oligarchs running Russia) are corrupt, not suicidal. Russia has been making nuke threats against the west since Krushchev. It's neither new nor unusual. The west just ignores them and moves on like always.

I’d say we strongly disagree here.  I’ve never heard the barrage of threats involving nuclear weapons more at any time than it is right now.  I definitely don’t recall any threats from Russia back in the 90s.  The concern back then was more that they would be sold on the black market and end up in the hands of a terrorist nation or group.  Again, it was speculation at that time, not threats.

Today, it not just threats from Russia, it from both sides.  Again, this is not normal.

I recall threats from Russia every decade since the 70s. And, each time, the US and NATO would merely point out we have capabilities that Russia (and the Soviet Union prior) would be unwise to test. So, yes, it's normal when dealing with idiots in Moscow.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]

No.

ETA: But that really doesn't mean that nuclear war is any more or less likely than it was in the past. It does mean that, as we've seen, conventional war became more likely in Europe. Weak western leadership enabled Putin to figure his invasion of Ukraine wouldn't be responded to just like it wasn't back in the Odumbo regime. It's a little different this time, thankfully.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nailcrusher:

Medvedev says the West will not respond if Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine; the Western leaders do not wish to die in nuclear flame.

This is referring to something I brought up much earlier in this thread regarding the AI game Balance of Power.  Everyone thinks they can escalate, but the other side will not dare because … who really knows.  But they are almost always wrong.

And we thought the whole world changed when some virus from China made headlines?

Thing is, the "unthinkable" has been on people's minds for longer than most people on here (including me) have been alive. We can't even say it's been less likely until now because it's been at least as likely in the past. We just talk about it more now that we think it's becoming more likely again.

I guess you missed my point on the scale that a nuclear war, even a limited one, would be compared to a hyped pandemic scare generated by media and governments to initiate a power grab.   Pushing the nuclear button is also pushing the Great Reset button.  Afterwards, freedom as we knew it will be no more.

Before, nuclear war was unthinkable because no one genuinely wanted it. The scare back in the 1960s was real but the scare during the 1980s was mostly generated by media as a political weapon against Ronald Reagan to make him look like a madman.  Today, madmen are actually in charge with the media downplaying the nuclear possibility as much as possible by making the actual threats by Russia and the West look like normal chest thumping by nations in possession of nuclear weapons.  It isn’t normal, not at all.

Nukes will go off because it’s part of the big agenda.  It’s now escalating to the point where politicians & the media are throwing out the validity of using a first strike option because Ukraine really is that important.

I'll disagree here. Nuclear war isn't more likely now than it has been during high tension times in the past. Remember, the Russian military (and the mafia-like oligarchs running Russia) are corrupt, not suicidal. Russia has been making nuke threats against the west since Krushchev. It's neither new nor unusual. The west just ignores them and moves on like always.

Has western leadership ever been this weak and compromised though?

No.

ETA: But that really doesn't mean that nuclear war is any more or less likely than it was in the past. It does mean that, as we've seen, conventional war became more likely in Europe. Weak western leadership enabled Putin to figure his invasion of Ukraine wouldn't be responded to just like it wasn't back in the Odumbo regime. It's a little different this time, thankfully.

Western leadership isn't weak, it's evil. They want to crash the system so they can build back better. And I believe they would like direct conflict with both Russia and China.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]

I guess I am just a reasonable guy in an unreasonable world.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheResurrector:
Now, I would hope that in a survival situation, we could put aside our politics...

You ain't the only one, brother.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DaGoose:

If you want the bare basics on food, 402 lbs. of a pure carb/protein will be enough for one person for one year.  

In real terms, 454 lbs. of rice will have enough calories (2000/day) for one person for one year.  682 lbs. for a 3000 calorie diet per day.
View All Quotes

I decided to go back to the original post from Michael Yon, quoted above.  How's he doing, prediction wise?

1)  Stock up 2 years of supplies. Who does that?  Not me.  I have a few months.  But I simply don't have any more room to store supplies.  I saw an LDS book that had a photograph of a largish metal set of shelves with bags of wheat, rice, beans, and some other things.  The caption said it was a year's worth of food for a family.  I highly doubt that.  My few months of food for two takes up a lot more room.  Granted, I want more variety.  But food takes up room.  Think about how long a basket of groceries in the grocery store is going to last you, and how much room that takes.  Planting a garden is not realistic too.  While it is possible to grow enough food in a suburban lot, it is very difficult.  You really need an anchorage.  Also need experience, as every new gardener is going to make lots of mistakes.

If you want the bare basics on food, 402 lbs. of a pure carb/protein will be enough for one person for one year.  

In real terms, 454 lbs. of rice will have enough calories (2000/day) for one person for one year.  682 lbs. for a 3000 calorie diet per day.

Yeah but one thing we forget is how so much of our food is infused with basic nutritional elements we take for granted like calcium or vitamin C.  And the problems caused when you're back to a survivalist diet.  Bottom line it will take more than just rice and beans to avoid issues and having enough for 2 years would take a significant amount of storage.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Western leadership isn't weak, it's evil. They want to crash the system so they can build back better. And I believe they would like direct conflict with both Russia and China.
View All Quotes

No.

There is some truth to the notion that some "leadership" in the west is evil as well as weak. However, oligarchs and other rich folks, whether western or eastern, see war (as ChinaIsAsshoe said about war in Ukraine) as "bad for business".
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

Yeah but one thing we forget is how so much of our food is infused with basic nutritional elements we take for granted like calcium or vitamin C.  And the problems caused when you're back to a survivalist diet.  Bottom line it will take more than just rice and beans to avoid issues and having enough for 2 years would take a significant amount of storage.  

View All Quotes

I decided to go back to the original post from Michael Yon, quoted above.  How's he doing, prediction wise?

1)  Stock up 2 years of supplies. Who does that?  Not me.  I have a few months.  But I simply don't have any more room to store supplies.  I saw an LDS book that had a photograph of a largish metal set of shelves with bags of wheat, rice, beans, and some other things.  The caption said it was a year's worth of food for a family.  I highly doubt that.  My few months of food for two takes up a lot more room.  Granted, I want more variety.  But food takes up room.  Think about how long a basket of groceries in the grocery store is going to last you, and how much room that takes.  Planting a garden is not realistic too.  While it is possible to grow enough food in a suburban lot, it is very difficult.  You really need an anchorage.  Also need experience, as every new gardener is going to make lots of mistakes.

If you don't have multiple bottles of vitamins and supplements you're doing it wrong. I'd double the daily recommended dose if you are on a strict intake of food for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]

How would that translate into action?  Would you call each other if looters were in your neighborhood so you could go help defend him?  Would you all move into the same house and combine your efforts? Or have you not thought about that yet?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gomulego:
I too believe it is a good idea to build a network and I've been doing that the past couple of years. I got 2 of my (sort of) neighbors  (one is my mechanic too) licensed for ham radio as we all live in a rural area with about 8-10 miles between us. They are also both firearm enthusiasts. There are also others loosely connected and of like mind. All of us are prepper types to some degree or another as well and all of us discuss the importance of communication and preparedness.

How would that translate into action?  Would you call each other if looters were in your neighborhood so you could go help defend him?  Would you all move into the same house and combine your efforts? Or have you not thought about that yet?
My thought would be plans for a relief force counterattacking if things were to the level that looters would set up a protracted attack in a rural area. Directing them against the looters that were ensconced in cover/defilade via radio code. Shared range cards, drone footage, SPOT reports etc.
Also if the looters withdraw along a road, interdiction and destruction of their vehicles using pre-positioned road blocks at choke points.
It would all need regular chalk talks, leaders recon and rehearsal.
A Mutual Support Pact.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

That very valid point aside - how many people and institutions bother to have physical reference materials? Manuals/guides/emergency procedures/etc.? For truly vital information I've made a point of having physical copies of everything on hand.
View Quote

Prudent.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacran] [#9]

I recall threats from Russia every decade since the 70s. And, each time, the US and NATO would merely point out we have capabilities that Russia (and the Soviet Union prior) would be unwise to test. So, yes, it's normal when dealing with idiots in Moscow.
View All Quotes

Every decade is one thing but every other week is quite another.  It’s not every decade that a former president and current Deputy Chairman quotes Revelation while discussing war with America.  Dimitry Medvedev has done that at least a couple of times within the last 6 months.

Part of he problem is that most of the American media don’t report on things like this as it conflicts with the narative.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are the massive food shortages? Yes food prices have went up but I haven’t seen any shortages.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Agreed.

Putin is not a madman. He's not insane, even if MSM says so. He is a patriotic Russian.  He's a nationalist and western governments are globalist.

Trump is a nationalist. That's why they are working so hard to destroy him, not because he likes pussy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

No.

Yes, Western leadership isn’t weak but our military certainly is.  There’s doubt that the US could even fight a conventional war with China or Russia in its current condition.  My fear is that inadequacy may make a nuclear conflict even more likely.  

If they are willing to blatantly steal a Presidential election, I certainly wouldn’t discount their willingness to get us into a nuclear war in an attempt to retain that power & control, either.  Yeah, that’s what I’d call evil, too!

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

Agreed.

Putin is not a madman. He's not insane, even if MSM says so. He is a patriotic Russian.  He's a nationalist and western governments are globalist.

Trump is a nationalist. That's why they are working so hard to destroy him, not because he likes pussy.
View All Quotes

Agreed.

Putin isn’t a madman but leadership in the West sure are.  They are poking the Bear enough to leave them little options by blurring the lines between this being a war with Ukraine and this being a war with NATO.  That’s my main worry here.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, no discussion of proposed peace talks from any leadership in the West.

TommyRobinsonOfficial@TommyRobinsonOfficial
3h
·
Leilani Dowding tells Mark Steyn: “I’m not a Putin sympathiser. I’m not an apologist. I just want to know the background.”

Exactly this, all the same dodgy people who pushed the Covid narrative, now telling us "Zelensky good, Putin bad", and anyone questioning it is wrote off, it's only common sense to ask questions on such important issues.

https://gab.com/TommyRobinsonOfficial/posts/109089027130026206
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#15]

2)  Price controls? I'm not seeing it.  I am going to call this one a swing and a miss.

3) 2022 getting serious. One of the few times Yon sticks a date on his predictions.  Things do seem to be getting serious.  But not that serious.  I went in the grocery store yesterday.  My wife asked me, "Are the shelved bare?"  "No."  I replied.  "All the shelves were stocked.  However, the produce was looking very picked over.  And I don't mean just four or five things.  I mean all of it."  I had to really go through a whole pile of pears to find a few that were not flawed in some way.  All of the lettuce was inedible.  I wouldn't feed that stuff to a Russian.  A couple of things like bananas were not quite as bad.  But my store has always had plenty of quality produce in every day.  This was astonishing to me.

So, maybe things are going to continue to worsen.  It certainly looks like it to me.  But his time estimates are clearly too soon, which makes sense to me.  Everything, including disasters, takes time to happen.
View Quote

A lot of the volume in your grocery buggy is packaging and nutrition-less filler. Variety is great until you are truly hungry. I've never been truly hungry, so I am speculating.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#16]

A lot of the volume in your grocery buggy is packaging and nutrition-less filler. Variety is great until you are truly hungry. I've never been truly hungry, so I am speculating.
View Quote

Not in my buggy.  I’m pretty careful about what I buy.  Not a lot of packaged foods. I buy a lot of fruit and raw vegetables.

Regarding variety, food fatigue is a real thing. If you eat rice and beans for every meal, you will eventually get where you can’t stand it, no matter how hungry you are. I have a variety of seasonings to make rice and beans as varied as possible. But I still want fruit, vegetables, and protein like meat and cheese.

Also a variety of many kinds of foods provide trace minerals that vitamins sometimes overlook.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Not in my buggy.  I’m pretty careful about what I buy.  Not a lot of packaged foods. I buy a lot of fruit and raw vegetables.

Regarding variety, food fatigue is a real thing. If you eat rice and beans for every meal, you will eventually get where you can’t stand it, no matter how hungry you are. I have a variety of seasonings to make rice and beans as varied as possible. But I still want fruit, vegetables, and protein like meat and cheese.

Also a variety of many kinds of foods provide trace minerals that vitamins sometimes overlook.
View Quote

I'm going to disagree with you here based on thousands of years of history. Most of the world is poor. Most poor people eat a simple diet. Granted, this has changed greatly, but only in the last 30 years or so. For literally thousands of years, man has lived on a very
simple diet. For example, even to this day the majority of south India eats rice, chapati (flour tortilla), and sambar (soup) as a basic diet.

Have you ever been camping? Notice how the food you eat taste like the best ever? Well, that's poverty cooking. Rice with beans and anything else you can add that day is 5 star when you're truly hungry. You won't complain. A few basic spices changes everything as well.
Add protein, vegetables, or fruit when available, and you'll do very well. Having a huge variety is great, but not a real need like you think it is. Also, the recommended US caloric recommendation is about 4X's larger than true survival needs.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#18]

That's what I recall of Zeihan also.

Yon seems to have a hatred for Zeihan for some reason.
View All Quotes

I don’t recall Zeihan saying we have zero chance of food shortages.  What I remember is he said it would be much less severe than most of the world. But it would also be more expensive.

Perhaps Yon heard Zeihan pontificating at some function or video I am unaware of.  After all, Zeihan has changed his position from time to time as new facts emerge.  Yon could be remembering something from last year.

@DaGoose

Is/was Yon pro-Trump?  I know Zeihan is not a Trump fan and is overall negative on Trump, so that may be why he doesn’t like him, based on a political side he’s on?  I don’t know, more of a theory/question.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#19]

You're both right he said we wouldn't have shortages but would most likely have less variety (really another term for shortage) and it would be more expensive.  from what i can see we most likely will go back to the 80's when things were sometimes seasonal. I'm old and remember you only got citrus certain times of the year and grapes others etc.
View All Quotes

I don’t recall Zeihan saying we have zero chance of food shortages.  What I remember is he said it would be much less severe than most of the world. But it would also be more expensive.

Perhaps Yon heard Zeihan pontificating at some function or video I am unaware of.  After all, Zeihan has changed his position from time to time as new facts emerge.  Yon could be remembering something from last year.

You're both right he said we wouldn't have shortages but would most likely have less variety (really another term for shortage) and it would be more expensive.  from what i can see we most likely will go back to the 80's when things were sometimes seasonal. I'm old and remember you only got citrus certain times of the year and grapes others etc.

@2tired2run

Food is still seasonal.  But when the northern hemisphere’s apple season is over, the southern hemisphere’s apple season picks up, so you always have apples.  Same with citrus fruit.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By C-4:

@DaGoose

Is/was Yon pro-Trump?  I know Zeihan is not a Trump fan and is overall negative on Trump, so that may be why he doesn’t like him, based on a political side he’s on?  I don’t know, more of a theory/question.
View Quote

Don't know on Yon as I don't really follow him much.

Zeihan doesn't really like any of the last 3 presidents but does like Trump's foreign policy and trade deals.  He brings it up in several of his talks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

Why do you people even come to this thread? Why does it bother you so much when the adults are talking about events taking place (that the media won't) or trying to be proactive?

Better yet, why are you on a gun forum? Do you even own guns? If so what in the hell for?

Do you lock your doors at night or have insurance? Why? Doomer.

You say you've been hearing this you're whole life and nothing ever happens. Was the word "lockdown" a common and acceptable concept? Have we had a president repeatedly get lost on stage?

Did the entire country burn for a year while people went unarrested? And don't give me that shit about how the 60's were worse, I was there and small town American barely knew it, people didn't clutch their pearls in front of cable TV 24hrs a day.

Also - men didn't get pregnant. There were only two genders. I don't ever remember people trying to find formula or cat food because the shelves were empty.

The health czar, or whatever it is in PA, doesn't know what gender it is. We sent 2 men in dresses to France to represent our country.

If it weren't for the Pollyanna's we would have seen the direction the country was headed while there was still time to stop it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
Originally Posted By Mach:

A lot will happen in almost a year.

That is nothing but fear porn and hype.

Why do you people even come to this thread? Why does it bother you so much when the adults are talking about events taking place (that the media won't) or trying to be proactive?

Better yet, why are you on a gun forum? Do you even own guns? If so what in the hell for?

Do you lock your doors at night or have insurance? Why? Doomer.

You say you've been hearing this you're whole life and nothing ever happens. Was the word "lockdown" a common and acceptable concept? Have we had a president repeatedly get lost on stage?

Did the entire country burn for a year while people went unarrested? And don't give me that shit about how the 60's were worse, I was there and small town American barely knew it, people didn't clutch their pearls in front of cable TV 24hrs a day.

Also - men didn't get pregnant. There were only two genders. I don't ever remember people trying to find formula or cat food because the shelves were empty.

The health czar, or whatever it is in PA, doesn't know what gender it is. We sent 2 men in dresses to France to represent our country.

If it weren't for the Pollyanna's we would have seen the direction the country was headed while there was still time to stop it.

Good post.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Michael Yon@MichaelYon
12 hours ago
Casus Belli for Preemptive Nuclear Strike On Russia
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Mind dump, sans edit

Watching it all unfold. They wave the corrupted Ukrainian flag. Even while fighting-aged Ukrainian men and women have swept away and can be found in capitals across Europe.

This war is completely out of control — as it was destined. A small handful of well-placed globalists in United States, Germany, and more, have reached the state of euphoric war trance. Oblivious to the oblivion aimed at their faces. Or maybe they just welcome death. Some people use war for suicide.

This is clear: Demons in charge of America’s nuclear weapons are creating casus belli for preemptive strike on Russia. And if Demons are to hit Russia, Demons likely will go all in for North Korea, Iran, and even China.

They are, after all, the Demons who forced millions of Americans, Germans, and more, to ingest death jabs. Anyone who will do this will do anything.

Michael Yon@MichaelYon
8 hours ago
Putin’s Speech
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland

I watched the entire speech. Many ‘analysts’ are busy trying to read his mind. They seem to pay less attention to his actual words and actions and instead construct psychological thrillers.

Bottom line:

Putin’s actions reveal that Russia is not backing down

Putin says he and Russia are not backing down

There is no evidence that Putin is beaten, or backing down

There is physical evidence and verbal statements indicating Putin is doubling down

Analysts would be better served listening closely to words, actions, and history, than playing Freud and Jung.

This war clearly is intensifying.

In full: Vladimir Putin officially annexing four Ukrainian regions at Moscow ceremony

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#23]

This concerns me.  Not that large corporations have to deal with onerous regulations.  They have had to deal with such things for decades and have staff to do it and sufficient income to pay for it.  But it is the downstream reporting that affects me.

Traditionally, regulatory burden in the U.S. is determined in large part by how many employees you have.  If you have 10 or under, its pretty loose.  20 or under, a little less so.  50 employees, 100 employees, it gets considerably more so.  This has always been because it was understood that small business did not have the resources to deal with a lot of regulatory B.S., and the small business effect on things was correspondingly small.

But this new proposal is bad.  It means that if I sell a product to a company that does subcontract work for a company that does contract work for a big corporation, then I am on the hook for a lot of regulatory stuff I previously did not have to deal with.  This means every business in the U.S. is affected because we are all intertwined.

Like so much else the Obama and Biden administrations have done, it is a back door way to destroy small business.

Now you may ask, why is filling out another report such a bad thing?  Well, the answer is if it was just one report, it may or may not be back breaking.  But when it is dozens of reports, then it may require additional employees to track and compile with that data.  It may require programmer's hourly rate to add the new regulations into the accounting system.  Enough nickel and dime reports and you can end up deeply in the red during a time small business is already struggling.  And that is if the data collection is not particularly suffocating.  There have been payroll reporting changes in years past that literally required we change the entire way we compiled payroll information, a major rewrite of the payroll software.  There have also been changes that affected us that required reporting from before when the law was passed.  That meant I had to go back and try and extract data that was never collected to begin with.  In one case, I had to dig through drawers full of ancient paper records because the needed data was never compiled into a database.

Additionally, this particular proposal may mean I have to spend several thousand dollars on an "environmental consultant" to tell me what my ecological footprint is, since I have no idea how to determine that.

But worst of all, reports are only the start.  The government doesn't compile data so they can have meetings about it.  They compile data so they have force you to do things differently.  Like requiring universal registration for firearms, which we all know is a back door path to confiscation, this will lead to confiscation or worse for small business.  For example, the above reference consultant may decide I use too much electricity and must buy new tools that are "green" from an approved list of companies the consultant is more than happy to provide.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HoldenON:
https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2022/09/21/us_farmers_grab_the_lobbying_pitchforks_as_costly_new_green_mandates_sprout_854528.html

Echoing conflicts from Sri Lanka to Canada to the Netherlands, tensions between farmers and green-minded government policymakers are building in the United States, where producers are squaring off against a costly proposed federal mandate for greenhouse-gas reporting from corporate supply chains.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in March proposed requiring large corporations, including agribusinesses and food companies, to report greenhouse gas emissions down to the lowest rungs of their supply chains as a means of combatting climate change, which environmental campaigners contend imperils the planet and life on it.  

This concerns me.  Not that large corporations have to deal with onerous regulations.  They have had to deal with such things for decades and have staff to do it and sufficient income to pay for it.  But it is the downstream reporting that affects me.

Traditionally, regulatory burden in the U.S. is determined in large part by how many employees you have.  If you have 10 or under, its pretty loose.  20 or under, a little less so.  50 employees, 100 employees, it gets considerably more so.  This has always been because it was understood that small business did not have the resources to deal with a lot of regulatory B.S., and the small business effect on things was correspondingly small.

But this new proposal is bad.  It means that if I sell a product to a company that does subcontract work for a company that does contract work for a big corporation, then I am on the hook for a lot of regulatory stuff I previously did not have to deal with.  This means every business in the U.S. is affected because we are all intertwined.

Like so much else the Obama and Biden administrations have done, it is a back door way to destroy small business.

Now you may ask, why is filling out another report such a bad thing?  Well, the answer is if it was just one report, it may or may not be back breaking.  But when it is dozens of reports, then it may require additional employees to track and compile with that data.  It may require programmer's hourly rate to add the new regulations into the accounting system.  Enough nickel and dime reports and you can end up deeply in the red during a time small business is already struggling.  And that is if the data collection is not particularly suffocating.  There have been payroll reporting changes in years past that literally required we change the entire way we compiled payroll information, a major rewrite of the payroll software.  There have also been changes that affected us that required reporting from before when the law was passed.  That meant I had to go back and try and extract data that was never collected to begin with.  In one case, I had to dig through drawers full of ancient paper records because the needed data was never compiled into a database.

Additionally, this particular proposal may mean I have to spend several thousand dollars on an "environmental consultant" to tell me what my ecological footprint is, since I have no idea how to determine that.

But worst of all, reports are only the start.  The government doesn't compile data so they can have meetings about it.  They compile data so they have force you to do things differently.  Like requiring universal registration for firearms, which we all know is a back door path to confiscation, this will lead to confiscation or worse for small business.  For example, the above reference consultant may decide I use too much electricity and must buy new tools that are "green" from an approved list of companies the consultant is more than happy to provide.

@amannamedjed

In health care, we have had worsening rules/regulations/policies that is killing our ability to practice medicine.  It was the purported reason for Electronic Medical Records (EMR), to make it easier for us to practice medicine, when in fact it was to make it easier for hospital corporations to collect data for the government that ultimately does nothing to make medicine more efficient overall.  It helps in some areas on the ground, but has too many drawbacks in the way it was rushed and implemented.  The hospital corporations and government worked together to create this nightmare, soul-crushing scenario.  It’s only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#24]

@DaGoose

View All Quotes

@DaGoose

I think you may have hit on the root difference between the two.  Yon is a a regular on Steve Bannon’s War Room so he’s definitely not antiTrump, plus he’s also stated that the election was stolen.

There’s also the difference of position when it comes to the vaccine.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:58:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#25]

View All Quotes
Now, I would hope that in a survival situation, we could put aside our politics...

Depends on what kinda of survival situation? It's possible I guess. But politics could also just be replaced by something else.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#26]

We’re at the point where “any” impact will have a notable effect on supplies, pricing, and future crop yields.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By soncorn:
Michael Yon@MichaelYon
2 hours ago
Florida: Possible Major Fertilizer Disruption
30 September 2022
Dublin, Ireland

This tiny area in Central Florida is one of the major phosphate fertilizers in the world. I know it well because I grew up in the same county just down the road in Winter Haven. Earlier this year I was out in this phosphate area hunting sharks teeth and researching fertilizer issues. I say these things as preface to say this is a serious issue if there is serious damage. Must wait and see. First reports are always…

Major Florida fertilizer hub took DIRECT HIT by Hurricane Ian, produces HALF the phosphate fertilizer for America

Hurricane Ian is just hours away (as of this writing) from barreling straight through an area of Florida where at least 50 percent of the nation’s phosphate fertilizer supply is mined and produced.

Mosaic Co. operates numerous mines in an area east of Tampa and north-northeast of Fort Myers where the Category 4 hurricane – Ian’s maximum recorded wind speeds were just a few miles per hour (mph) short of reaching Category 5 – made landfall, bringing with it catastrophic damage.

The storm surge alone is reportedly causing catastrophic damage to Sanibel, Englewood, Venice and other areas, not to mention all the heavy winds and rain. And that very same carnage is headed straight for fertilizer alley (though at that point it will admittedly be slightly less severe).

Florida’s fertilizer alley is replete with phosphate rock assets, which are turned into fertilizers such as diammonium phosphate (DAP) and monoammonium phosphate (MAP) – check out the company report to learn more.

Chuck Watson, a disaster modeler with Enki Research, indicated that Mosaic’s New Wales plant is “right in the middle of the damage swatch.” He added that the plant could “be out for weeks,” depending on the level of damage.

With food prices already sky-high and energy issues depleting global fertilizer supplies, this unfortunate new development is nothing short of ominous for the global food supply. (Related: The United Nations is expecting grain production worldwide to plummet by 40 percent due to lack of fertilizer.)

Is America about to join the rest of the world in descending towards famine and starvation?

Mosaic reportedly owns more than half of the 15.86 million metric tons of DAP and MAP production capacity in the United States, a bulk of which is in Florida in the path of Ian.

Back in 2017, Hurricane Irma impacted some of that capacity, reducing Mosaic’s production of phosphate by 400,000 metric tons. Competitor Potash Corp., also located in Florida, was shut down for four days due to Irma.

Ian is shaping up to be just as devastating as Irma – or perhaps worse. Ian will almost certainly be worse than Irma as far as America’s fertilizer production capacity is concerned.

“Fertilizer can make or break crop production,” reports Bloomberg.

“Global food prices have touched records in recent months as inflation ripples through economies and hunger levels rise. The cost of growing food in the U.S. is set to rise by the most ever in 2022 as Russia’s invasion of Ukraine put a huge percentage of the world’s supply at risk.”

A U.S. duty on Russian and Moroccan phosphate producers means that the nation could have to buy expensive imports from elsewhere, should Ian devastate fertilizer alley to the point that production goes offline for an extended period of time.

Up until now, the fertilizer crisis has mostly affected places outside America’s borders. That now appears to be changing, thanks to Ian.

The latest reports reveal that Mosaic evacuated several of its Florida operations in anticipation of Ian’s arrival. All facilities, the company claims, were secured before being abandoned due to the storm.

The affected facilities are expected to remain closed for a least a week after Ian passes, with an expected revenue decrease of between $240 million and $300 million.

Ammonia imports from Yara International and CF Industries at Tampa are also expected to slow, depending on Ian’s aftermath.

“Think the food crisis is bad now? Just wait,” wrote a commenter at Natural News about the fertilizer crisis, which is about to reach new heights thanks to Ian.

“The fertilizer problem will significantly drop crop harvests and that will raise the price and availability of food dramatically starting next year.”

https://www.newstarget.com/2022-09-29-florida-fertilizer-hub-direct-path-hurricane-ian.html

A lot of things could happen.  This “article” is full of unsupported what-ifs and fear-mongering.  Yes, there are phosphate mines and processing in that area.  Yes, they were probably impacted.  To imply that there was some apocalyptic scale of damage that will take them offline for months or more is completely unsupported.

We’re at the point where “any” impact will have a notable effect on supplies, pricing, and future crop yields.

Those phosphate mining operations all have tailings dams that are in piss-poor shape. I wonder how Ian affected them?

Byproduct tailings from phosphate processing are full of radioactive materials fyi.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By K2QB3:

It's way more likely they'd release more bio-weapons instead, or starvation. Maybe taint the food and water supplies.

The pro-population growth people have a point, we can't have fewer and fewer productive people supporting more and more elderly and unproductive without economic consequence. Throwing our able-bodied into a meat grinder doesn't solve any problems for governments.

The human mind is the most sensitive pattern recognition device on the planet, it's really important that people recognize they have an inherent bias towards connecting things whether they're connected or not, because that's how people lose themselves in wild conspiracy theories and such.

This place has gone all in on that sort of thinking lately, the elites are destroying the economy that makes them elite in the first place on purpose, the whole republican party conspired to help their competition steal an election, every scientific institution in every country on Earth is in on the grand global conspiracy to bring about communism by lying about basic Earth sciences, and on and on and on.

People are stupid, and groups of people are even more stupid. That's the explanation for almost every paradox. We wield enormous power as individuals by virtue of being able to read the results of billions of man-hours of research and development by others with zero personal experience or wisdom necessary.

8 billion ignorant apes all wielding that power against each other in pursuit of personal gratification, wealth and pussy. That's our civilization.

The surprising thing is if you turn off the cable news and the internet and go outside things seem pretty stable in many places. Hell my AO is like a colorized version of Leave it to Beaver if you don't go peeking into peoples windows after dark.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K2QB3:
Originally Posted By garbageman:
Another World War would be a great way for governments to get rid of millions of people thus leading to a boom in the economies once the war is over

It's way more likely they'd release more bio-weapons instead, or starvation. Maybe taint the food and water supplies.

The pro-population growth people have a point, we can't have fewer and fewer productive people supporting more and more elderly and unproductive without economic consequence. Throwing our able-bodied into a meat grinder doesn't solve any problems for governments.

The human mind is the most sensitive pattern recognition device on the planet, it's really important that people recognize they have an inherent bias towards connecting things whether they're connected or not, because that's how people lose themselves in wild conspiracy theories and such.

This place has gone all in on that sort of thinking lately, the elites are destroying the economy that makes them elite in the first place on purpose, the whole republican party conspired to help their competition steal an election, every scientific institution in every country on Earth is in on the grand global conspiracy to bring about communism by lying about basic Earth sciences, and on and on and on.

People are stupid, and groups of people are even more stupid. That's the explanation for almost every paradox. We wield enormous power as individuals by virtue of being able to read the results of billions of man-hours of research and development by others with zero personal experience or wisdom necessary.

8 billion ignorant apes all wielding that power against each other in pursuit of personal gratification, wealth and pussy. That's our civilization.

The surprising thing is if you turn off the cable news and the internet and go outside things seem pretty stable in many places. Hell my AO is like a colorized version of Leave it to Beaver if you don't go peeking into peoples windows after dark.

@K2QB3

Interesting post.  To me it seems like there are two groups of elites:

1) Those that are using Green Energy and all its ramifications to enrich themselves.  They don’t believe in Green Energy for one second but simply use it as a tool for control.

2) Those that believe that humans are a virus that need to be wiped off the planet.  These are the true-believers in going Green.  They are actually happy that billions would die.

Group 1 thinks it can control Group 2.  We shall see!
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sig-x:
Where are the massive food shortages? Yes food prices have went up but I haven’t seen any shortages.
View Quote

The US is a net exporter so we'll have food.  It will be more expensive domestically because we'll be competing with more overseas buyers for what the US produces.  In a capitalist/demand economy shortages drive up prices.

Yes some of the increase is due to increased costs of fuel, labor, etc. but not all of it.  The most basic staples - flour, sugar, eggs, canned/frozen veggies - are up 25% from two years ago.  Dried beans/lentils were $.99/lb for years, now $1.59/lb or higher.

Two weeks ago I went to my local grocery and the egg/butter dairy section was completely empty.  It was working, lights on, cold, etc. but empty.  Apparently a truck just didn't show up, but one was expected tomorrow...
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Totally this.

I could hardly agree more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#30]

@2tired2run

Food is still seasonal.  But when the northern hemisphere’s apple season is over, the southern hemisphere’s apple season picks up, so you always have apples.  Same with citrus fruit.

View All Quotes

@2tired2run

And that was what I was referring to.   IiRc he said that its likely we'll be unable to source out of season foods due to a lack of fertilizers and a shift in production.   Those opposing hemisphere countries will need to shift to things like wheat and other basic subsistence crops in place of one's for export.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

The US is a net exporter so we'll have food.  It will be more expensive domestically because we'll be competing with more overseas buyers for what the US produces.  In a capitalist/demand economy shortages drive up prices.

Yes some of the increase is due to increased costs of fuel, labor, etc. but not all of it.  The most basic staples - flour, sugar, eggs, canned/frozen veggies - are up 25% from two years ago.  Dried beans/lentils were $.99/lb for years, now $1.59/lb or higher.

Two weeks ago I went to my local grocery and the egg/butter dairy section was completely empty.  It was working, lights on, cold, etc. but empty.  Apparently a truck just didn't show up, but one was expected tomorrow...
View All Quotes

Large price increases always lead severe shortages.

As you said, we are pretty lucky right now as we are a exporter of staple foods.

However, food prices are increasing a staggering amount for a lot of things.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Michael Yon@MichaelYon
12 hours ago
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Mind dump, sans edit

Watching it all unfold. They wave the corrupted Ukrainian flag. Even while fighting-aged Ukrainian men and women have swept away and can be found in capitals across Europe.

This war is completely out of control — as it was destined. A small handful of well-placed globalists in United States, Germany, and more, have reached the state of euphoric war trance. Oblivious to the oblivion aimed at their faces. Or maybe they just welcome death. Some people use war for suicide.

This is clear: Demons in charge of America’s nuclear weapons are creating casus belli for preemptive strike on Russia. And if Demons are to hit Russia, Demons likely will go all in for North Korea, Iran, and even China.

They are, after all, the Demons who forced millions of Americans, Germans, and more, to ingest death jabs. Anyone who will do this will do anything.

https://cdn.locals.com/images/posts/originals/91572/91572_spktx2nkyh2imoq.jpeg

Michael Yon@MichaelYon
8 hours ago
Putin’s Speech
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland

I watched the entire speech. Many ‘analysts’ are busy trying to read his mind. They seem to pay less attention to his actual words and actions and instead construct psychological thrillers.

Bottom line:

There is physical evidence and verbal statements indicating Putin is doubling down

Analysts would be better served listening closely to words, actions, and history, than playing Freud and Jung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdHRGcbffo

View Quote

No, Putin isn’t or won’t back down. His place in history and Russias place in global standing for the foreseeable future will be determined by the outcome of this war. Whether right or wrong that’s just the way it is. And the politicians and globalists behind supporting Ukraine won’t back down. And this won’t stagnate. It will only intensify.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Wife needed some butter the other day so I bought some. Holy cow has butter gone up in price! Nearly double what I remember paying previously. I just know prices at the grocery store have caused my weekly cost to double in the last 2 years. That sucks. For those folks "on the edge", that's going to hurt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#34]

No, Putin isn’t or won’t back down. His place in history and Russias place in global standing for the foreseeable future will be determined by the outcome of this war. Whether right or wrong that’s just the way it is. And the politicians and globalists behind supporting Ukraine won’t back down. And this won’t stagnate. It will only intensify.
View All Quotes
Michael Yon@MichaelYon
12 hours ago
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Mind dump, sans edit

Michael Yon@MichaelYon
8 hours ago
Putin’s Speech
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland

Bottom line:

Putin isn't in control of his or Russia's place in global standing. The west is. He can "not back down" all he desires but Russia losing is already baked into the cake. He should be thinking about whether he wants Russia to be a larger North Korea or give up the old Soviet mindset of global conquest. Those are his options. If he persists in following his ego vs sanity, Russia will become a big version of NK/Venezuela/Cuba.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Putin isn't in control of his or Russia's place in global standing. The west is. He can "not back down" all he desires but Russia losing is already baked into the cake. He should be thinking about whether he wants Russia to be a larger North Korea or give up the old Soviet mindset of global conquest. Those are his options. If he persists in following his ego vs sanity, Russia will become a big version of NK/Venezuela/Cuba.
View All Quotes
Michael Yon@MichaelYon
12 hours ago
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Mind dump, sans edit

Michael Yon@MichaelYon
8 hours ago
Putin’s Speech
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland

Bottom line:

Putin and Russia look at Ukraine as a fight for their very survival.  Pushing a country equipped with nuclear weapons to this point is absolutely insane.  Only the Western version of Clown World would try making Dr. Strangelove become a reality, but here we are....

Why would we want a world without Russia? - Vladimir Putin, March 2018

“Why Do We Need a World if Russia Is Not In It?”: State TV Presenter Opens Show With Ominous Address

Russian state television host Dmitry Kiselyov opened his Sunday primetime show with an ominous allusion to nuclear war.

The comments came just hours after President Vladimir Putin ordered the Russian army to put its nuclear arsenal, the world's largest, on “high alert” in response to what he called "unfriendly" steps by the West.

“Our submarines are capable of launching over 500 nuclear warheads, which guarantees the destruction of the U.S. and all NATO countries,” Kiselyov said on his weekly program, “Vesti Nedeli.”

“Why do we need a world if Russia is not in it?”

Kiselyov’s comments came hours after Putin announced he was placing Russia’s nuclear deterrence forces on “high alert,” citing “aggressive statements” and economic sanctions imposed on Moscow by NATO.  

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/02/28/why-do-we-need-a-world-if-russia-is-not-in-it-state-tv-presenter-opens-show-with-ominous-address-a76653
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:18:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacran] [#36]

View All Quotes
Michael Yon@MichaelYon
12 hours ago
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Mind dump, sans edit

Michael Yon@MichaelYon
8 hours ago
Putin’s Speech
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland

Bottom line:

Intensify, indeed!

Disclose.tv@disclosetv
1h
·
JUST IN - Chechen leader Kadyrov suggests a low-yield nuclear strike after Lyman defeat in the annexed Donetsk region.

Disclose.tv@disclosetv
45m
·
·

Edited
JUST IN - Russia's Gazprom suspends gas transit through Austria to Italy.

https://www.disclose.tv/id/1576225486082117634/

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Putin and Russia look at Ukraine as a fight for their very survival.  Pushing a country equipped with nuclear weapons to this point is absolutely insane.  Only the Western version of Clown World would try making Dr. Strangelove become a reality, but here we are....

“Why Do We Need a World if Russia Is Not In It?”: State TV Presenter Opens Show With Ominous Address

Russian state television host Dmitry Kiselyov opened his Sunday primetime show with an ominous allusion to nuclear war.

The comments came just hours after President Vladimir Putin ordered the Russian army to put its nuclear arsenal, the world's largest, on “high alert” in response to what he called "unfriendly" steps by the West.

“Our submarines are capable of launching over 500 nuclear warheads, which guarantees the destruction of the U.S. and all NATO countries,” Kiselyov said on his weekly program, “Vesti Nedeli.”

Kiselyov’s comments came hours after Putin announced he was placing Russia’s nuclear deterrence forces on “high alert,” citing “aggressive statements” and economic sanctions imposed on Moscow by NATO.  

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/02/28/why-do-we-need-a-world-if-russia-is-not-in-it-state-tv-presenter-opens-show-with-ominous-address-a76653
View All Quotes
Michael Yon@MichaelYon
12 hours ago
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Mind dump, sans edit

Michael Yon@MichaelYon
8 hours ago
Putin’s Speech
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland

Bottom line:

The west would support Ukraine deleting the Russian Army (and the rest of their forces) and using sanctions to destroy the Russian economy to the point of collapse so that Russia would no longer be a threat to the rest of the world (including us). Further, they would no longer be a threat to the food supply of dozens of nations, the point of the thread.

So, not only is collapsing Russia sane (just as collapsing the Soviet Union in the past was the right move), it's time has come due to the stupidity/ego of Putin.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#38]

The west would support Ukraine deleting the Russian Army (and the rest of their forces) and using sanctions to destroy the Russian economy to the point of collapse so that Russia would no longer be a threat to the rest of the world (including us). Further, they would no longer be a threat to the food supply of dozens of nations, the point of the thread.

So, not only is collapsing Russia sane (just as collapsing the Soviet Union in the past was the right move), it's time has come due to the stupidity/ego of Putin.
View All Quotes
Michael Yon@MichaelYon
12 hours ago
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Mind dump, sans edit

Michael Yon@MichaelYon
8 hours ago
Putin’s Speech
01 October 2022
Dublin, Ireland

Bottom line:

I’m sure it has nothing to do with keeping the petrodollar alive for a little while longer.

I must say, I never took you for a kool-aid drinker, though.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#39]
TommyRobinsonOfficial@TommyRobinsonOfficial
3m
·
The weather is going to freeze your money according to the WEF 👀

Hold onto your cash.

https://gab.com/TommyRobinsonOfficial/posts/109093967525440789

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#40]

I think you may have hit on the root difference between the two.  Yon is a a regular on Steve Bannon’s War Room so he’s definitely not antiTrump, plus he’s also stated that the election was stolen.

View All Quotes

@DaGoose

I like Peter because he is a great way to educate the uneducated.

He mixes history with some economic facts, and he speaks well with that long flowing hair in colorado while hiking, and he is somewhat soothing because of his trusting voice. His choice of ties and suits when speaking at conferences is so bad it must be calculated, it's so bad you want to feel sorry for him.

If you want to know who uses him, look at who hires and pays him, who sponsors his books, and why?

He is entertaining.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

A local grocery store ran out of dairy products for a day? 1984 is here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By PM4E:

View All Quotes

Normally that only happens the day before a big winter storm.  I only mentioned it because even during COVID and the craziness afterward that case was decently stocked.

I buy almost no "heat & eat" meals, whether canned or frozen so I really hadn't been paying attention to those prices.  I just spot checked a few online.  Glad I know how to cook from scratch!
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#43]

@DaGoose

View All Quotes

@DaGoose

Zeihan isn’t a Trump fan but he’s not super anti-Trump either.  He makes his money largely from consulting with corporate boards and the like, and most of those people are firmly in the ESG camp and anti-Trump, so he typically throws them a bone when talking about US politics.  He’s not exactly pro-Biden.  In fact he goes out of his way to point out that Biden has continued a lot of Trump’s protectionist policies.

Zeihan is a geography and demography is destiny kind of guy so domestic political squabbles are largely irrelevant in the long term.

If you parse his stuff though he does make some interesting statements and predictions.  One is that the free market / democracy based paradigm is optimized for a globalized world, and as the world moves from that it’s likely that there will be a revision of our system as well (including federalism, being a Constitutional republic, etc).  He doesn’t pull on this thread a lot, but a government system perfected for a post-colonial frontier country may be imperfect for a post-globalist superpower.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

That is a pipe dream. I don't think the Russians give up their toys easily. History would tell us they will burn it to the ground before giving territory away.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Prudent.
View All Quotes

That very valid point aside - how many people and institutions bother to have physical reference materials? Manuals/guides/emergency procedures/etc.? For truly vital information I've made a point of having physical copies of everything on hand.

Prudent.

Yeah. I have a good number of survival stuff PDF on my computer. I don't like that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Things are still escalating in Iran.

Several people killed in Iran after protestors storm police station

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By yodude:

Yeah. I have a good number of survival stuff PDF on my computer. I don't like that.
View All Quotes

Prudent.

I used to.  I figured in SHTF, I could just print them out. But when I compared the cost of toner against the manuals, it was an easy decision to go ahead and order the books.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#49]
It’s interesting that the dollar used to be backed by gold, then we went off the gold standard in favor of the petrodollar, and now the powers that be are trying to do away with fossil fuels in favor of solar panels, wind power, & electric vehicles.

It’s also interesting that Germany is a big gas & diesel automaker among other things but that manufacturing depends, or rather depended on natural gas from Russia.  

When the quasi-petrodollar goes away, what will the new digital currency be backed with?  Thin air?

Neil Oliver: 'By taking back control of the money we can begin regaining control of our world'
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#50]

I used to.  I figured in SHTF, I could just print them out. But when I compared the cost of toner against the manuals, it was an easy decision to go ahead and order the books.
View All Quotes

Prudent.

One benefit to digital pdf books is it’s much quicker & easier to do searches for that particular bit of information. We’re still going to need battery chargers.

Page / 315
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top