BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3304
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maleante:
Generally, I’m liking the kwaiken even though this knife is gonna cut me one day…

There are things I don’t like much about it but that’s not based on the overall design but rather it being an Emerson.

My qualms with Emerson:

Mediocre steel with no choice to have something different.
Mediocre flat slab scale material. Pocket shredding G10.
Mediocre hardware. Philips and slot, really?
Liner lock only. Not bad. Not good.
Titanium liners on steel blades. Inherently lock sticky.
Basic “one” sided grind. Seems lazy no matter how you sell it.
Machining marks everywhere.
Non-phosphor bronze washers… come on, that’s just lazy.

It’s as though the knife was designed around the least possible machining and lowest cost materials.  I’m not a Emerson fan but I do like the knife. It’s good reference piece from the 1980’s.
View Quote

I agree on a few of those points.

I do like the G10 though. Action is fine on the wonky washers, the chisel grind is fine, the lock is fine and there's a lot of fine. Price is fine for what it is but when I look at my ZTs I paid about the same for it gets tough especially when I think back to my 630.

I like mine. I'm glad I bought it and I'm researching some rough neighborhoods to go to to carry it in but I'm realistic, Mal is right it looks like a BM from the 90s/early 00s. It's a neutral opinion, if that's what he's going for and the people want then he nailed it. If you're a fit and finish kind of guy then ehhh
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WIC:

Holy fuck, there is nothing wrong with the execution.
View Quote

I'll grant this and your prior points, if you'll grant that the knives are, given those factors, 33% overpriced (at least).
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By williedikker72:

As a new Emerson Kwaiken owner myself, I can associate with your sentiments. I have, so far, cut myself twice with the knife. I'm not a fidget, but I feel this knife has to have an extensive break in. I don't mind the 154cm. This thing sharpens in a second and I don't have to hone out any chips. It's smooth, but I don't get the Teflon washers either. Chisel edge... again, sharpens super fast. I sanded the g10. It was rough as fuck. I like g10 though. Indifferent about the fasteners. I think I would buy another Emerson,  but I don't think I would ever have a collection of then. For some reason though, the knife tells me it wants to be used hard and I don't have a problem doing it. Some knifes that I have paid less for, I baby alot more.
View Quote

Yeah. I don't know how much I'm going to pursue the Halal Hattin anymore. The kwaiken is fun and I've been waving, slashing and stabbing stuff since I got it
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:50:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#5]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Have you never had wonderfully sweet yams or nice, crsipy fries?
View Quote

Yes. Not a fan.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I do like the G10 though. Action is fine on the wonky washers, the chisel grind is fine, the lock is fine and there's a lot of fine. Price is fine for what it is but when I look at my ZTs I paid about the same for it gets tough especially when I think back to my 630.

I like mine. I'm glad I bought it and I'm researching some rough neighborhoods to go to to carry it in but I'm realistic, Mal is right it looks like a BM from the 90s/early 00s. It's a neutral opinion, if that's what he's going for and the people want then he nailed it. If you're a fit and finish kind of guy then ehhh
View Quote

That's the problem, especially with current pricing. ZT makes the best Emerson.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

I've made curried butternut squash soup a few times. Basically the squash, onion, heavy cream, some stock, curry powder, and a blender. Super good.
View Quote

Sounds awesome
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By arch64:

Who are you again
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]

https://i.imgur.com/WlXOQIq.jpg
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

close, but...

still a bitch
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 3xpert:

Should have taken a pic before I started. last fall.
Want to make it shine, why? Just felt like doing it, however it is looking a lot nicer.
View Quote

Cool
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Rolled my own, Italian sausage, sauce, mushrooms, pepperoni and onion came from Sendik's.
But you gave me an idea, going to make a "Gas Station Edition Pizza" Stay tuned to this thread!
View Quote

Same bat channel, same bat time!
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]

I'll grant this and your prior points, if you'll grant that the knives are, given those factors, 33% overpriced (at least).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Holy fuck, there is nothing wrong with the execution.

Kinda agree, but that shipping though...
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I just dusted her off a bit. Really needs a good cleaning. I've neglected her for awhile. I had a local guitar maker assemble and finish her in the early '90's. Warmoth parts. Bad Ass bridge and Seymour Duncan passive pick ups p/j pattern obviously.  Always sounded really great. Birdseye maple neck with ebony fretboard. Standard maple body, but the guy couldn't bring himself to do a solid color on it because of the nice grain, so did a translucent blue on it. It's dinged, dented, and the finish is worn through some places. It's had a good time and alot of people have seen it and enjoyed it. The good old days! The Bushcraft was a factory second when they had the issue with the grips cracking because of the humidity differences between the states and Taiwan. Filled everything with super glue. Nice scandi knife for sure and I think paid only $100.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20220626_163428_jpg-2431780.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20220626_163538_jpg-2431781.JPG
View Quote

Very cool on all fronts. My bass has a bunch of dents and dings from dragged around in a gig bag until I was smart enough to buy a proper case then I bought the most gimmicky one I could because I was a dumb teenager

Bass looks well used, knives need some wear!
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

I dont think Sionyx is trash.
They are less expensive than PVS-14's, however, they dont perform like PVS-14's either.
From what I've seen (online) they fullfill a need at a lower price point.
I feel the competition is beneficial and should lower the cost of PVS-14's and will cause digital NVG's to improve in quality.

The future is now, old man....
View Quote

Apparently I was dumb. Regerts
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

Bourbon and cappuchino?
View Quote

I had gotten home from work when she was making her morning cup of coffee. So we sat outside for a bit before I went to bed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#17]
https://i.imgur.com/JhrYw0e.jpg
View Quote

That's like UGK levels of syrup
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Well of course I want to pay less for things so I have more money to buy other things.

But let's be realistic, these are not mass produced like the big companies, they are not done overseas. They are done in small batches , in an expensive city, by a small family run business. Look at the mint Spyderco and others charge for mass produced items. It's not a fair comparison to say they should be the same price or materials compared to the big boys or something from overseas.

So, while I would like to see them a bit cheaper again like they were before the pandemic, I won't stop buying them
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I can't argue on the shipping. It's heinous.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#20]

huh
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#21]
https://i.imgur.com/X9diBR9.jpg
View Quote

custom or...
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Iced tea. I'm off the syrup and keeping it healthy.
View Quote

Uh huh
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone own an Emerson CQC-7? I don't own any tanto blades. How usable are the for an EDC knife? Buddy had an old Benchmade Emerson cqc and that thing took some wicked abuse with ATS-34 and always sharpened up razor sharp. Any thoughts on the CQC-7? Old school or V grind?
View Quote

I have one American tanto blade and to be honest I've never used it in a way a spear point or drop point would have done better
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#28]

OMG, this is painful.

How many times need this be explained. these things may not be your preference, but they are not bad. He does everything with a purpose. He doesn't care what your opinion is, it's no reason for him to change.

Mediocre steel with no choice to have something different. It is not mediocre, it is still a solid choice, but there are in fact other choices on occasion. Well, one other choice.  
Mediocre flat slab scale material. Pocket shredding G10. His knives are meant to go to the worst places in the world. It is meant to have superior grip in extreme conditions. If it is not your thing, super easy to remedy.
Mediocre hardware. Philips and slot, really? Wherever you go in the world, you will find a Phillips and slot head screwdriver to work on your emerson. Makes it as accessible as possible.
Liner lock only. Not bad. Not good. Liner lock is best lock
Titanium liners on steel blades. Inherently lock sticky. Yes, until it self hardens. They do self harden from use. None of mine are sticky any more.
Basic “one” sided grind. Seems lazy no matter how you sell it. I love it. Think it's genius. Keeps it simple. so much easier to sharpen. There is literally no need for two  sides to be sharpened. I don't like the pure chisel grind though, that affects cutting.
Machining marks everywhere. It's an aesthetic. It doesn't need to be shiny to work. In fact, if you are an operator, you don't want it shiny.
Non-phosphor bronze washers… come on, that’s just lazy. Lazy nothing, it's what he wants. Are they great for action? At first they are decent, but with time I find they gum up. But they are indestructible. PB can pit and requires maintenance over time. For me, one of the first things I change though is going to PB. I understand his reason for using nylatron, PB is my preference.

Piece from tht 1980s...pffft.

Classics are timeless.

And that's what he does, creates classics.
View Quote

If that's what the fans want then I guess it a good deal .

If ZT made a Hattin or Kwaiken I'd jump on them.

Better steels, better execution.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Dead serious. Do you think syrup will give you energy to work all day and then work out for most of the evening? Only coffee or maybe red bull can do that.
View Quote

I've heard that Homo Canuckiensis has a second syrup stomach that allows for maximization of syrup digestion
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Who are you again
View Quote

Damn.

Off the top ropes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#31]

Fine.

But don't think that means I will stop picking fights with you.

You bougie bastard.
View Quote

Says the guy posting multi course dinner pics

Meanwhile I bought tamales from a little old lady on the side of the road to eat while I did repairs on the wifemobile

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Very cool on all fronts. My bass has a bunch of dents and dings from dragged around in a gig bag until I was smart enough to buy a proper case then I bought the most gimmicky one I could because I was a dumb teenager

View All Quotes
I just dusted her off a bit. Really needs a good cleaning. I've neglected her for awhile. I had a local guitar maker assemble and finish her in the early '90's. Warmoth parts. Bad Ass bridge and Seymour Duncan passive pick ups p/j pattern obviously.  Always sounded really great. Birdseye maple neck with ebony fretboard. Standard maple body, but the guy couldn't bring himself to do a solid color on it because of the nice grain, so did a translucent blue on it. It's dinged, dented, and the finish is worn through some places. It's had a good time and alot of people have seen it and enjoyed it. The good old days! The Bushcraft was a factory second when they had the issue with the grips cracking because of the humidity differences between the states and Taiwan. Filled everything with super glue. Nice scandi knife for sure and I think paid only $100.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20220626_163428_jpg-2431780.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20220626_163538_jpg-2431781.JPG

Lol. Yeah. I bought the Junglas with grand illusions of wilderness adventures,  but have only split down some kindling for the wood stove so far. That coating ESEE puts on is durable as shit though.  After a few years of gigging, the equipment started getting just used and hauled around like a work tool. One reason I got out of playing out. Started being like a part time job. Lost the lustre and started impeding on my family life. Sucks playing till 2am and having to get up for work on a Saturday morning. I'll have to get a shot of my Ampeg. Solid state, not tube, but still had some weight. Got the GK MB500 toward the end of my playing just cuz I wanted to cut weight on everything to haul around. Went from 2 cabs to one and the the GK and all my cords fit in a laptop case. Little fucker had tons of power and pushed the cab too!
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#33]

I've heard that Homo Canuckiensis has a second syrup stomach that allows for maximization of syrup digestion
View Quote

Oh, that explains a lot about all the fat people here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#34]

I have one American tanto blade and to be honest I've never used it in a way a spear point or drop point would have done better
View All Quotes
Anyone own an Emerson CQC-7? I don't own any tanto blades. How usable are the for an EDC knife? Buddy had an old Benchmade Emerson cqc and that thing took some wicked abuse with ATS-34 and always sharpened up razor sharp. Any thoughts on the CQC-7? Old school or V grind?

So, you think it's just as usable of a blade style then? The only blades I have with no belly are Wharncliffes and I end up just using the tip usually unless I'm whittling down a stick or something. I imagine the tanto would be the same except you have 2 workable tips to use.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Dead serious. Do you think syrup will give you energy to work all day and then work out for most of the evening? Only coffee or maybe red bull can do that.
View All Quotes

Can't fool us, Canuckian.

Gotta tap a vein.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#37]
https://i.imgur.com/qmcbxHx.jpg
View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#38]

That's the problem, especially with current pricing. ZT makes the best Emerson.
View Quote

Hundy P
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Bruh
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#40]

View Quote

Get a 640. It's great. I like it better than the Viper3.

Better is relative.

If you want a knife you can easily work with in the field, or anywhere, the regular Emersons are "better".
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#41]

custom or...
View Quote

Yeah, got a pretty good trade deal for the knife plus cash, so figured I'd check it out and then probably resell it at some point. The lock is pretty slick, and the handle ergos are quote good, but the blade is thicc.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Better is relative.

If you want a knife you can easily work with in the field, or anywhere, the regular Emersons are "better".
View Quote

Everyone should have a 640.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Well of course I want to pay less for things so I have more money to buy other things.

But let's be realistic, these are not mass produced like the big companies, they are not done overseas. They are done in small batches , in an expensive city, by a small family run business. Look at the mint Spyderco and others charge for mass produced items. It's not a fair comparison to say they should be the same price or materials compared to the big boys or something from overseas.

So, while I would like to see them a bit cheaper again like they were before the pandemic, I won't stop buying them
View Quote

Which is good. You know what you're getting into.

Although thinking about it TRM is a good example of a small shop punching above their weight class and turning out a solid product.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#44]
https://i.imgur.com/VVQx9EX.jpg

huh
View Quote

The Cesar wraps look tasty.

The Ramen kits are interesting but about the same proce as going out to ramen.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#45]
https://i.imgur.com/VVQx9EX.jpg

huh
View Quote

Wut?
Never seen that before,
But bottom shelf in the plastic bags, makes good pizza dough.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Better is relative.

View All Quotes

Better is relative.

Emersons are aight. this is from someone who has used the FUCK out of them "in the field"
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Which is good. You know what you're getting into.

Although thinking about it TRM is a good example of a small shop punching above their weight class and turning out a solid product.

View Quote

LOL, TRM isn't exactly a small shop. They produce for others.

They do have a good product at a nice price.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#48]

The Cesar wraps look tasty.

The Ramen kits are interesting but about the same proce as going out to ramen.
View Quote

Red Light was the first in the area to do ramen. Came out of the kitchen of one of the best restaurants in the area. Not my thing, but kinda legend. funny to see them on the shelf at the store.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Wut?
Never seen that before,
But bottom shelf in the plastic bags, makes good pizza dough.
View Quote

WFB
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Everyone should have a 640.
View Quote

or 3
Page / 3304
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top