Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Scul, this might get weird, but were you a Laughlin faip?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

03s that go to squad leaders course (LCpl-Sgt, and it's called AIC now) get some CAS training, and if they make it to 0369 they will for sure get some CAS training at IULC.
View Quote
We had a couple grunts assigned to our battalion at Mojave Diaper. It was a Corporal and Sergeant that had just recently completed the JTAC course. If I remember correctly they were 0311s or 0331s.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wrong. Pilot can employ in an ECAS scenario under self defense ROE. Don’t need Flag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone can call it, you just have to tell the pilot, you are untrained, and the Two Star still has to approve 3 hours later...
Wrong. Pilot can employ in an ECAS scenario under self defense ROE. Don’t need Flag.
Yup.  Americans are getting killed, and I know where the friendlies and the enemies are?  Rounds are on their way, with or without a JTAC.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
You make me sad. The ONLY fixed wing CAS asset in theater I had absolutely no control over.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A company in our BN (Bco 3/504) in April 2003 lost its JTAC in the begging of the firefight. RIP Airman Lazono

Anyone who can send a grid, designate his and the enemies position can call a air strike.

Shit is not rocket science.

Now getting the pilots to do it is another story
View Quote
“GRUNT6, are you a JTAC?”

“Negative, BONE.”

“Roger GRUNT6, we’ve just been dynamically retasked; good luck, BONE21 OUT.”
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
ECAS would suck. If it were me I’d rather dude just pop smoke on his position and say kill everyone not at the smoke. Pulling a 9-line from someone under fire is hairy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
There was a movie with that ending.
Canadians were ambushed. Taliban closing in on a building they escaped into.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

“GRUNT6, are you a JTAC.”

“Negative, BONE.”

View Quote
I’m sorry that’s your perspective. Seriously.

I do my best to support you guys.

If I’m actually working for a guy on the ground with a radio in his hand, even more so.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You make me sad. The ONLY fixed wing CAS asset in theater I had absolutely no control over.
View Quote
Gotta get into the JSOAC!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I’m actually working for a guy on the ground with a radio in his hand, even more so.
View Quote
If a Navy guy did that he would get his shit pushed in from CAG.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

“Negative, BONE.”

View Quote
I have NEVER, having prosecuted literally thousands of TICs and ASRs, EVER pulled a/c or seen a/c pulled from a TIC.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In your hypothetical situation, the dead JTAC was most likely already up on comms with any players in his stack. A likely stack would be a scan eagle, a 2-ship of F-16s, and an MQ-9. Possibly an Apache, possibly a 2-ship of A-10s.

I imagine that this scenario would not pop up out of the blue. Most likely, all air assets would be watching/monitoring/engaging in the developing situation. They would be talking to the JTAC, providing whatever he needed. Whether that was scans in advance of friendly forces, or kinetic support of a TIC, the guys in the air would have a pretty good idea of what was going on, where the good guys were, and where the bad guys were.  When blue forces are on the move in proximity with the enemy, they try and be very good about updating their position. It would either be in MGRS or via a numbered building system.

If an emergency CAS situation developed, you would expect the air asset with the most situational awareness to take control. It is most likely going to be an MQ-9 if you have one. Sorry. The information I would need would be the specific location of the lone friendly, followed by some confirmatory comms. The soldier may have a 10 digit grid to pass, or he may only know he is in the house on the southwest corner of an intersection with a white pickup out front. Regardless, I’m going to try and get eyes on his location, and then verify it is a friendly location.

Then I need to know estimated bearing and distance of enemy fire, and I’m going to find them, and I’m going to kill them. Muzzle flashes stand out really well in IR.

This literally could take 60 sec, or it might not happen at all before the last friendly is killed. But for me to take a shot in this situation I would need 3 things: PID of friendlies, PID of enemies, and a call for fires.

Don’t listen to the guys who say the AF is too worried about covering their ass to take this shot.
View Quote
My $0.02 worth on your comments; concur for the most part but slight correction/qualification (for OP):  in Afghanistan you are not going to have 16s and 10s in theater at the same time, it’s either or (I think that’s what you meant).

Second, an airstrike by a couple of A-10s won’t really be of the scale end the kind of an assault/overrun the OP is talking about.   I guess if each one dumped everything they had in one pass it might reach the scale the OP is implying in his narrative.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My experience is that there is no shouting, even when things are pretty close to what you are describing are happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would he be shouting into the radio before the bombs fall and where in Afghanistan could such a thing conceivably happen.
My experience is that there is no shouting, even when things are pretty close to what you are describing are happening.
Probably true; more likely whispering from whatever kind of hide he could find.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My $0.02 worth on your comments; concur for the most part but slight correction/qualification (for OP):  in Afghanistan you are not going to have 16s and 10s in theater at the same time, it’s either or (I think that’s what you meant).

Second, an airstrike by a couple of A-10s won’t really be of the scale end the kind of an assault/overrun the OP is talking about.   I guess if each one dumped everything they had in one pass it might reach the scale the OP is implying in his narrative.
View Quote
The majority of my EKIA have resulted from following squirters after an A-10 or Viper gun run. But I know how GD loves their brrrrrrrrrrt, so I keep that on the down low.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you want to make it believable, write in OH58Ds coming in with M4 out the door.

Then the crew lands and the puts casualty in the left seat to get him to the FOB before the medevac is even wheels up.
View Quote
Not far fetched at all.

I know of an Apache front seater who jumped out and loaded an urgent surge in his seat and then hauled the patient to the FST (while the Apache front seater spent the rest of the night on the ground with the ODA).  While there was initially hell to pay on the aviation side, things got sorted in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The majority of my EKIA have resulted from following squirters after an A-10 or Viper gun run. But I know how GD loves their brrrrrrrrrrt, so I keep that on the down low.
View Quote
Because you have a TPOD that’s worth a shit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That’s what I don’t understand about him... and others... CAS assets literally live for the opportunity to employ in defense of Americans on the ground. You hear your JTAC get excited... you call out enemy weapons in his proximity... and you kill the bad guys before they get an opportunity to kill Americans... why the hate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ooh! Ooh!  We got ourselves a little CAS club.  Quick-  someone distract Sylvan before he comes in and shits on it!
That’s what I don’t understand about him... and others... CAS assets literally live for the opportunity to employ in defense of Americans on the ground. You hear your JTAC get excited... you call out enemy weapons in his proximity... and you kill the bad guys before they get an opportunity to kill Americans... why the hate?
Oh good grief, not again.

There’s no hate for CAS, just that R/W is more responsive and more effective.

Let’s not derail this from the OP’s ”magical “ thread.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#18]
If OP is trying to create the main character out of surviving a strike then a more realistic and sobering scenario would be a Blue on Blue and perhaps make the depth of the character more.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Slap my hairy ass!

I'd do it for you Randy...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yup.  Americans are getting killed, and I know where the friendlies and the enemies are?  Rounds are on their way, with or without a JTAC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone can call it, you just have to tell the pilot, you are untrained, and the Two Star still has to approve 3 hours later...
Where the heck are all you guns ho guys when the shit gets real?

I’m sorry, no offense intended and I’ll take you guys at your word, but USAF pilots are typically extremely risk averse.

Now I don’t blame them since they’ll get fried if anything goes wrong, but I have yet to run across any pilots so willing to drop regardless.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh good grief, not again.

There’s no hate for CAS, just that R/W is more responsive and more effective.

Let’s not derail this from the OP’s ”magical “ thread.
View Quote
When the JTAC hears his apache check in, everyone else in the stack is irrelevant, and for good reason.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Slap my hairy ass!
View Quote
Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’m sorry, no offense intended and I’ll take you guys at your word, but USAF pilots are typically extremely risk averse.

Now I don’t blame them since they’ll get fried if anything goes wrong, but I have yet to run across any pilots so willing to drop regardless.
View Quote
Self-defense of friendlies is built into the ROEs...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
As long as I knew for absolute certain where the friendlies were I’d drop in a second in an ECAS scenario. Self defense ROE would cover it.

Edit: would probably show of force or gun run first. Technically we should escalate force before going full JDAM
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
In my opinion, there is a big difference between “drop” and “shoot”.

“Drop” impilies a GBU on coords. Yeah, I’m hesitant. I’m gonna make sure my ducks are in a row.

“Shoot” means I’m guiding a laser guided weapon. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I engaged and killed a dude carrying a heavy weapon damn near within 180 seconds of him showing his face. That’s fast.

CAS assets want nothing more than to hear positive feedback from the dudes on the ground, after the threat has been killed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Negative, BONE.”

I know you say that in these threads and I believe you; far from the norm IME.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I know you say that in these threads and I believe you; far from the norm IME.
View Quote
This is a great forum for discussion. IME, I could have killed a lot more bad guys, had the gfc passed his approval. I’ve spent a lot of time looking at bad guys thinking, wtf is the army waiting for?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are hanging out on forums pretending that they were and are in the shit.  An unmanned vehicle can deliver bombs and missiles while the operator looks for a fresh coffee filter.  How many pilots draw a grease pencil mark on the plexiglass and roll in with HE's while the left seater is tossing smokes and spraying trees with his rifle?

Everyone knows the only real combat pilots anymore fly something starting with AH, and sadly OH before Obama fucked us.

But there are some really educated and experienced pilots in this thread and I enjoy reading the comments.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have NEVER, having prosecuted literally thousands of TICs and ASRs, EVER pulled a/c or seen a/c pulled from a TIC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Negative, BONE.”

In our case, the answer has always been “yes”; I’m assuming, since the question was asked in the first place, if the answer was “no” the ensuing answer would have been “good luck.”
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They are hanging out on forums pretending that they were and are in the shit.  An unmanned vehicle can deliver bombs and missiles while the operator looks for a fresh coffee filter.  How many pilots draw a grease pencil mark on the plexiglass and roll in with HE's while the left seater is tossing smokes and spraying trees with his rifle?

Everyone knows the only real combat pilots anymore fly something starting with AH, and sadly OH before Obama fucked us.

But there are some really educated and experienced pilots in this thread and I enjoy reading the comments.
View Quote
When was the last time you’ve been passed a 9 line?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In our case, the answer has always been “yes”; I’m assuming, since the question was asked in the first place, if the answer was “no” the ensuing answer would have been “good luck.”
View Quote
"C2, standby.  Prosecuting fire mission."

End of discussion.  I'll call C2 back after the threat is neutralized.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm working on a story right now, the scene in question is the introduction of two characters who wouldn't have met under any other circumstances. It would take a long time to explain what they are but they met in a firefight in Afghanistan where one saved the other.

One of the characters is a US Army sergeant. Everyone else on his side is dead and his position is about to be overrun by Taliban when he calls in an air strike on his own coordinates.

The bomb bursts very close to him, he survives the initial blast, the Taliban fighters don't. The "other character" arrives and keeps him alive just long enough for rescue to arrive.

I'm imagining this scenario, but there's two things that I can't quite see on my minds eye. What would he be shouting into the radio before the bombs fall and where in Afghanistan could such a thing conceivably happen.

Any other thoughts and stories are welcome.
View Quote
I'm bummed that he died just as rescue arrived.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#33]
How about Go Fuck Yourself AF!  lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
And what exactly, do you have to contribute to our discussion?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
JTAC was dead.

I'm imagining a relatively short and very bloody battle.

That said, my knowledge of such things doesn't go beyond public sector knowledge and the occasional conversation.

You know, Wikipedia level stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Army Sgt calling in air strikes? What MOS is that? I'm sure there are some SF guys with the training but I thought that's why JTACs usually were attached to Army.
JTAC was dead.

I'm imagining a relatively short and very bloody battle.

That said, my knowledge of such things doesn't go beyond public sector knowledge and the occasional conversation.

You know, Wikipedia level stuff.
I was an 11B in a regular line unit and while normally the the FO (13F) would call for fire, it was not unusual for the platoon leader(LT), squad leader(SSG) or team leaders (SGT) to call for fire.  When outside the wire  with a squad or team size element the norm would be for a SGT or specialist to call for fire.  We had all the Joes cross train on it and knew how.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, his screen name is ”Tango.”
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
The truth does burn sometimes...

“Mountain....I don’t see what mountain you’re talking about”

“Okay flyboy...go back to taking selfies...have a nice day...”

(Actual conversation with F-16 pilot circa 2009....)
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m not, and never have been, an F16 pilot.

I’m not sure if you are telling me the viper pilot was stupid, or if the situation update passed by the JTAC was bad.

Regardless, I’ve seen buffoonery from both ground and air assets.

Work through it, figure out what’s goin on, and make it happen.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#40]
JTAC gave a good work up big to small...and a grid on the north end of the only mountain in Zhari. The B team was on duty that day...
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
In fairness,, from 20k’ over a country full of similar looking mountains it isn’t always as easy as it seems.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#42]
OP, CAS is magic!
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When was the last time you left your trailer?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
OP, CAS is magic!
View Quote
Oh yeah, magic. Just like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
A handful of years. And you?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you aren’t picking it up, he flew OH-58s.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Somebody already did the Jessica Lynch story.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you aren’t picking it up, he flew OH-58s.
View Quote
No, I had about a dozen beers last night. Didn’t pick it up.

Rotary wing support is almost always what the JTAC wants. Doesn’t mean their always the best.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Danger close? What's that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uXLzZyucI
View Quote
Fuck that overly dramatic hollywood bullshit TV show. It played on every hollywood sterotype of officers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#50]
That’s the story you need to write. It’s a lot more realistic. Army unit gets wiped out, last man standing tries desperately to get some ordnance dropped. The zoomies won’t because reasons and he gets wounded but can hide and waits till nightfall. Gets out strips his uniform and tries to gray man it to base.
He gets found out by a family on the road, panics and shoots the Dad, eldest son attacks and he shoots him and one of the others on accident. Now he’s got to drive the bloody shot up car to base. Almost gets killed by the gate guards and gets detained.

Then you can write the whole story about his physical recovery from the wounds, the CID investigation into the firefight, the AF not dropping bombs, the family he killed and if they’re going to prosecute him for war crimes. Then he goes home and his wife/girlfriend leaves him because he’s still learning to walk or whatever and she fucked Jody and is pregnant. Now he’s drinking and taking opioids cuz of the pain and VA is fucked up and won’t help. Poor guy couch surfs and then has to live in a shelter before eventually becoming flat out homeless.

It’s not long until he gets in mix up with the cops where he’s mistaken for a car jacker that a fellow vet and current cop helps him out. Tells him his story and holy shit it’s the damn battle NCO that denied his original fire mission years ago! They fight and argue then cry and eventually our hero sees the pain it caused the cop and sees that he can heal and they can both help each other.

He moves in with the cop and his family. Goes cold turkey and starts doing CrossFit. Next thing you know he’s working at the local grocery store and helping out at the VFW and doing speech’s for at risk youth. He eventually moves out and finds a girl that lost her leg in a car accident while on her way to the funeral of her marine Corp boyfriend that died in a helicopter crash on its way to recover some army guys after the whole unit was wiped out.

They fall in love, get married and the son grows up. And joins the army like his old man. And just before he ships off to Afghanistan to fight the same goddamn war Dad whispers some advice into his ear that we as the reader never get to hear but understand as something like, “just come home son.”

You can call it “Clipped Wings” the story of the last survivor from the flafal battle of the 101st in bumfuck Afghanistan.

Fill it with all kinds of stereotypes and shit because there’s just too many real accounts of the war. What we really need are fictional stories from people that didn’t serve about a war that is still happening.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top