Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2024 6:51:34 PM EDT
For the money, they look incredible.  300 bucks for, by tourube accounts, a really solid corexy

Am I crazy?  I'm thinking of buying one just to immediately lobotomize it with a BTT board and run stock klipper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#2]
Got one in a box I haven't opened yet...

Made by Flashforge. Strain sensors in the bed, auto z offset calibration, tool less hotend+nozzle swaps, 600 mm/sec speed,  etc. Runs a "custom" version of klipper but can be converted to open klipper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Never heard of it.
View Quote

Sorry.  

The BEST 3d Printer That I Won't Use! - Flashforge Adventurer 5M Pro 3D Printer Review

Supposedly a solid corexy...but with kind of locked down klipper firmware.

Did a little more looking and it seems like people have already jailbroke their firmware
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By nikdfish:
Got one in a box I haven't opened yet...
View Quote

Did you get the pro or regular?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Regular.   Got it from Amazon instead of the spool of black Flash forge ASA I ordered.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Regular.   Got it from Amazon instead of the spool of black Flash forge ASA I ordered.
View Quote

lol, I forgot about that.  

BRB, ordering  some black filament...
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I went ahead and ordered one.

Will report back
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Any updates on the printer?
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By blindprophet501:
Any updates on the printer?
View Quote

I haven't gotten around to messing with it but I'll play with it later this afternoon
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 1:59:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#10]
Unpacked it and fired it up.

Setup was a breeze.  Took about 5 minutes.

Printing some of the presliced stuff now.   It's fast.

So far I'm impressed.  It's printing well despite being set up on not the most stable of surfaces.  The doors on this spacesaver are rattling like crazy.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

14 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the update. I am looking at a few printers and this is on the list. That benchy looks great for 14 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By blindprophet501:
Thanks for the update. I am looking at a few printers and this is on the list. That benchy looks great for 14 minutes.
View Quote

I like it so far.

Sliced a piece for my brass sorter that would have taken my ender clone at least 7 hours. Done in 2 hours 6 minutes.

First time using orcaslicer.  Default settings worked great.

Haven't tried the camera yet
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:32:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#14]
Attachment Attached File

First layers are coming out perfect every time so far.

Ever so minor stringing but probably just need to dial the temp back a few degrees for this filament.

Bed adhesion has been great.  It came with some stick adhesive but I haven't needed it.

Might try switching over to the 0.6 nozzle next just to see how that does
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#16]
Figured I waited long enough for Amazon to do a call tag. Opened the box & unpacked the 5M tonight.

Packed up the E3 & disassembled the top Lack component of the former E3 enclosure to give the 5M a home.  I have printed 5M enclosure parts (in ASA) & have the acrylic sheets kit for door, sides & top. I won't mess with that until I know the machine works OK.

I'll test it out tomorrow & see what happens. If things go OK I will probably order a 0.6 hotend, it came with a 0.4.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Figured I waited long enough for Amazon to do a call tag. Opened the box & unpacked the 5M tonight.

Packed up the E3 & disassembled the top Lack component of the former E3 enclosure to give the 5M a home.  I have printed 5M enclosure parts (in ASA) & have the acrylic sheets kit for door, sides & top. I won't mess with that until I know the machine works OK.

I'll test it out tomorrow & see what happens. If things go OK I will probably order a 0.6 hotend, it came with a 0.4.
View Quote

Yeeeeees!  AD5Mers assemble!
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 12:16:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#18]
Well, it's alive ...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Nice surface on the print.

The initial print of a cube just seemed to hang, I restarted the machine & picked another model which printed without issue.  I haven't yet set up for connectivity.  If memory serves, it needs a firmware update to connect with the Orca-Flashforge product (or other slicers).

Since it wasn't a DOA, I ordered a 0.6 hotend cartridge.   Prime day pricing has them at  $31-  rather than $39-.  

I  may leave it naked a while before starting on assembling the enclosure.

ETA:  
Hooked up wifi, it found an updated firmware & installed it.   I reset to factory defaults, re-ran the configuration (leveling & vibration) & turned wifi back on.  No problems ... initiated a print from the flashprint pgm.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#19]
The Orca-Flashforge app could see the 5M via WAN, but not local LAN. I don't want to use WAN based functions, so that is a non-starter.

Loaded an updated copy of straight Orca & found it could submit a print job directly to the 5M via local LAN wifi. No ability to monitor printer/job status, but the job printed correctly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a factory "5M DIY enclosure kit"  that is targeted to the factory "Print your own enclosure" .STL collection. The kit is about $40, available on Amazon, and includes all needed hardware, drag chain, the tubing, magnets and pre-cut, pre-drilled, acrylic sheets for sides, door & lid. Modified parts for the print head carriage are also included.

It is a pretty decent kit and includes step by step instructions. There are also videos available online. It isn't perfect, though. Scarsdale are a mix of hex, Phillips & ... torx.

I think the torx was somebody's screwup. They provided hex wrenches & small Phillips, but no torx.  The screws attaching door to hinges & latch are the ones with a torx head. I think they were supposed to be Phillips.

I printed the enclosure parts a while back in ASA on the Xmax3. Finally got around to finishing up the cleanup so I start assembly.  

Fit up has been good so far. Nice fit on the acrylic side panels. Bottom corners fit in slots & magnets across the top retain it to the frame.

I did modify the spool mount, basically just kept the bottom portion for  the run out detector & drag chain mount.

Still getting things together. I'll post pics when done.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you going to try to add some carbon filter or something for doing the more noxious plastics?

That was the only reason I opted for the pro model.   Printer is in my reloading room so I don't want to expose my lungs to bad shit more than necessary
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, I've done a recirculating carbon filter sized to available space at the sides of the interior volume. I also will have carbon baskets in the oem filter positions for passive collection as air moves out of the enclosure.

Thinking of also adding a PTC 60c heater... might redo the filter to move air past the heater with the exhaust.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#23]
OK... pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Haven't addressed filters, lights, etc. yet.   Things to come.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 2:41:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks.

I got a couple of 60c PTC heating elements (110v, 50x30x8mm) & modded the carbon filter design to position them in the exhaust flow. Just need to reprint & assemble. Planning on grinding a small half round notch on he bottom edge of the left side panel for wire passage.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Sweet.  You have me wishing I'd just opted for the standard model, lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#28]
You definately have some bennies with the Pro version not found on the base ...

On a different note, I switched the AD5M from using the internal wifi to using the ethernet port.   The AD5M, XMax3 & my main desktop PC are all cabled to an AC1200 router I added the other day to try to help with some LAN issues on the Win11 desktop.  It is configured as a bridge/extender.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#29]
You definately have some bennies with the Pro version not found on the base ...

On a different note, I switched the AD5M from using the internal wifi to using the ethernet port.   The AD5M, XMax3 & my main desktop PC are all cabled to an AC1200 router I added the other day to try to help with some LAN issues on the Win11 desktop.  It is configured as a bridge/extender.
View Quote

Good to hear.  I ran a conduit and cat6 over to my reloading room partly for that reason but I haven't tried it uet
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 9:44:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#30]
Ran into a legit error, finally.

If you try running a gcode file over 9mb, half way through the print it will throw an e017 message about overflow.

Only ran into it playing with some of the more ridiculous infill patterns with a bunch of squiggly curves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top