Link Posted: 10/14/2020 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It's going to take SIX years?

Whose jobs program is this?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the dumbest fucking idea i ever heard.

How many Chinese are on that team and will steal the copy?
View Quote

Its dumb to model things in CAD because the model might get stolen?

How is that different from the potential for paper prints being stolen?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many discreet parts does a B1 have?   How long do you think it should take?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Great, now China will have a B-1 Rancer
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Not all that atypical for there to not be a drawing
package on a new plane.

The AF does not want to add the many millions of
dollars for the drawing package.

Despite being built as recently as the 1980s there
is no government owned drawing package for the U-2.

Lockheed uses 'as built' drawings and creates a package
for each plane.

Some of the drawings are one to one scale for things as large as the wings.
Separate drawing for right and left.

Rolled up and stored in largish cardboard tubes.
When we needed to add some additional antennas
the mechanics would "go exploring" to locate the exact spot we used.
When we needed to put some UHF blades on the top of the fuselage
we had to move them about 6 inches off the top center-line.
Hydraulic lines ran down the top of the fuselage exactly centered.

We had to move another antenna slightly to avoid the LOX
lines from the tail to the cockpit.

Needless to say the drawing package for that plane did not show their exact position.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Is cool, but aren't these supposed to be retired in a decade or so? So like 4 years of useful maintenance data if B21 actually gets bought and thee go the rest of the way away?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don’t be silly.

It’s ESTIMATED to take six years.

That means it will probably take between 12 and 20, with lots of extra cost.  After 15 years, someone will decide that it could be done better with newer software and lasers, and then it will be re-bid.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t be silly.

It’s ESTIMATED to take six years.

That means it will probably take between 12 and 20, with lots of extra cost.  After 15 years, someone will decide that it could be done better with newer software and lasers, and then it will be re-bid.  

Don't forget that halfway through the project someone is going to have a baby and need to move into a new house and "your stupid project plane" is going to go into storage and all the sharpie marker on ziploc bags of fasteners is going to disappear.  Then original engine parts are going to dry up so they'll decide to LS it, but then they need a new radiator and it will be a miracle if this thing is moving under its own power by 2120

Also
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Suck it Jimmy Carter.

Robins isn’t that far from Plains.  I hope some of those pilots used to do high speed passes over Ole Jimmy’s farm on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I was at a football game where one of those flew over.  I think I could still hear it ten minutes later.

It’s a cool plane, glad to see it get some love.

And would they really need fly a terrain following combat mission now days?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Would it not be sufficiently pointless and wasteful of govt to simply ask the manufacturer for a set of prints?

It’s not like this is a plane stolen from another county that we have no other choice but to reverse engineer.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
No former B-1 pilots here?
Seen guys who’ve flown many other military jets but not the bomber types.   Odd bombers don’t seem to be represented in GD anyways
But then I recall a old USAF col who was also one of the hostages in Iran back in 1979.  He said fighter pilots are bold and warriors.  Bomber pilots are lovers, he said.    
If I would’ve been blessed with great eyesight, maybe this is what I would’ve pursued flying
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Love this plane. One of my favorites.
View Quote

Agreed!

They arouse me !
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Love this plane. One of my favorites.
View Quote

that's what china's saying
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Saw 2 take off at night in shiek isa airbase bahrain. Absolutely awesome and LOUD AS FUCK. They are probably the loudest airplanes in the sky.
View Quote

We used to live right in line w/ the runway at McConnel AFB in Wichita.   It would rattle our windows sometimes then they took off our direction but they were still cool.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is cool, but aren't these supposed to be retired in a decade or so? So like 4 years of useful maintenance data if B21 actually gets bought and thee go the rest of the way away?
View Quote

I had the same thought.  I'm hoping this means they might not be planning on getting rid of them in ten years after all.  

-K
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Chinese will have the plans as fast as they are scanned
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Chinese will have the plans as fast as they are scanned

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"On any given day, I probably can fly well over 20 of the B-1s," Ray said, referencing the fleet's mission-capable rate, or the ability to fly at a moment's notice to conduct operations.

By comparison, only about seven of the bombers were ready to deploy in August 2019.

View Quote
That seems...alarming.

A quick Google search revealed that the B-1B indeed has an abysmally low readiness rate. Why is the B-1B mission-capable rate so low? Much lower than that of the B-2 and B-52. Lack of parts or complexity of design perhaps?

USAF Mission Capable Rate

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

China gets the blueprints, Democrat Party politicians get payoffs via standard bribery/money laundering practices: book deals, speaking fees.

Different day, same old treason.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see we’re all on the same page...great way to get B1 blueprints into chinas hands...

China gets the blueprints, Democrat Party politicians get payoffs via standard bribery/money laundering practices: book deals, speaking fees.

Different day, same old treason.

Yup, and don't forget orange man bad, must destroy everything he wants.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]
6 years to disassemble..

how many years to reassemble?

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One of my favorites of all time . I remember going to airshows as a kid and you couldn’t even get near them . You could climb in and all over all kinds of military hardware but not those . It sat out there alone in the distance with barricades around it . You just looked at it from a distance. I remember them flying over the red dirt fields I played in and them flying so low it seemed like if you threw a dirt clod you could almost hit it .
View Quote

One of my earliest memories is standing under the wing of one at an air show.  This would have been 1990 at the latest.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That seems...alarming.

A quick Google search revealed that the B-1B indeed has an abysmally low readiness rate. Why is the B-1B mission-capable rate so low? Much lower than that of the B-2 and B-52. Lack of parts or complexity of design perhaps?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"On any given day, I probably can fly well over 20 of the B-1s," Ray said, referencing the fleet's mission-capable rate, or the ability to fly at a moment's notice to conduct operations.

By comparison, only about seven of the bombers were ready to deploy in August 2019.

That seems...alarming.

My understanding is that it is a combination of not all that many airframes made, not enough spare parts, and chronic underfunding with chronic overuse during the GWOT.  

-K
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My understanding is that it is a combination of not all that many airframes made, not enough spare parts, and chronic underfunding with chronic overuse during the GWOT.  
-K
View Quote

Yep, they were used hard.

It also doesn't help that they have an enormous variable geometry wing. That is going to cost you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
One of the few .mil aircraft I have never seen in person.

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#27]
That’s some big sexy
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#28]
So one of the fun tidbits I've been told on the B1 was, that since it's only semi-stealth, extremely low to ground penetration missions are one of the key assets it has.

And with that, the onboard navigational computer can actually, with extreme reliability, fly the B1 at around mach 1.25 within 10 feet of the ground for an entire duration of a mission, essentially allowing the whole crew to do whatever they need to when dealing with threats & weapons on the mission.

Flying so low, so obscenely fast was one of the ways to penetrate soviet airspace as they had very, very minimal ways to stop it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm sure that already have all the plans.
View Quote

Its fine because they cant build one with all the plans and the material sitting in front of them. They have canards and exposed rivets on a supposed 5th gen fighter.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Such a rad airplane.
View Quote

In my top 5 favorite of all time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm thinking the B-1R (aka the BoneR) might be what you seek.  

The idea was to put F-22 engines on the B-1 to give it a Mach-2 performance.  I remember talk of putting a huge radar and missiles on it too.  

-K
View Quote

Bonea works as well with a Boston accent and short a
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#32]
When I worked for USMC MRAP project, we had 3D CAD files of most MRAP models thanks to a lengthy strip down and digitizing of parts/trucks by a government agency.

It's really fucking cool what you can do with that kind of thing.  Takes a beast of a PC to work with the files, if you don't want to wait 15 minutes between changes...
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I was actually listening to a lecture from one of the B1s original design engineers this morning.

The topic of skin buckling came up since the lightweight structure of bombers tend to show signs of it.  The B1 was one of the earliest aircraft to expose buckled skins to supersonic air speeds.  The initial test aircraft aparently had supersonic flutter issues with sections of the buckled skin that made a terrible noise on early test flights.  I think the issue was quickly resolved by adding additional stiffeners to that aircraft and subsequent ones.

It was a cool story to listen to
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I want a B-1A to be built

The B-1B is amazing but I am greedy and want it to be even faster.
View Quote

I want the B-1R concept  to be built.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I worked for Rockwell in Palmdale 86-87 as a flight test/checkout mechanic on them. When they did the acceptance flight and had no squawks they would do a flyover in full augmentor with the F106 chase plane indicating AF acceptance of the aircraft. It was wild to be up on the backbone of one ship while they fly over. The city bitched about the noise enough so they stopped that. That being said I wonder why they can’t just use the assembly blue prints to do the same as scanning. Probably a good reason but just curious.
View Quote

Part of the scanning is to examine fatigue and structural wear and map how it develops and spreads. Need an actual airframe to do that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was at a football game where one of those flew over.  I think I could still hear it ten minutes later.

It's a cool plane, glad to see it get some love.

And would they really need fly a terrain following combat mission now days?
View Quote
I was at a Virginia Tech game back in '06, when they did a fly over. It was loud and shook the hell out of Lane Stadium.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
they should do this as they are building new airplanes real time coming down the assembly line.  

10 years later do it again with the airplane with the highest flight time and compare the 2
View Quote

I don't build airplanes but everything we do now is in 3D.
I assume it's not much different for the AeroEs.
They didnt have the tech, back in the day.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I see we’re all on the same page...great way to get B1 blueprints into chinas hands...
View Quote

And then what?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I hate to be the voice of reason but there are already 3d models and "blue prints" of every part of the aircraft.  They aren't taking it apart to build a model.  They are disassembling it to measure the wear on each part.  A "digital twin" is built up predict failures before they happen.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#41]

I remember Apocalypse. We had some cool nose art. I particularly liked Georgia Guardian, Apocalypse, and Midnight Train from Georgia.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So one of the fun tidbits I've been told on the B1 was, that since it's only semi-stealth, extremely low to ground penetration missions are one of the key assets it has.

And with that, the onboard navigational computer can actually, with extreme reliability, fly the B1 at around mach 1.25 within 10 feet of the ground for an entire duration of a mission, essentially allowing the whole crew to do whatever they need to when dealing with threats & weapons on the mission.

Flying so low, so obscenely fast was one of the ways to penetrate soviet airspace as they had very, very minimal ways to stop it.
View Quote

I don’t think the -1B can fly that fast, especially that low.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the A model that got canceled
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Would it not be sufficiently pointless and wasteful of govt to simply ask the manufacturer for a set of prints?

It’s not like this is a plane stolen from another county that we have no other choice but to reverse engineer.
View Quote

Skynet needs a digital model so it can build new ones once it becomes self-aware.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was my first thought as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What engines will they hang on it?

Supposedly they have the F-35s data package, but we haven’t seen any Chinese F135s. In fact, all we’ve seen are shitty copies of shitty Slav engines.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Makes it much easier for china to steal it
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I want the B-1R concept  to be built.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I was at Ellsworth a few years ago and there were several doing takeoffs and landings. My boner lasted for days.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No former B-1 pilots here?
Seen guys who’ve flown many other military jets but not the bomber types.   Odd bombers don’t seem to be represented in GD anyways
But then I recall a old USAF col who was also one of the hostages in Iran back in 1979.  He said fighter pilots are bold and warriors.  Bomber pilots are lovers, he said.    
If I would’ve been blessed with great eyesight, maybe this is what I would’ve pursued flying
View Quote

I met a Bone Pilot. We were talking and he thought it was cool that I am an engineer and he said he always wanted to be an engineer. So I asked what he did, he was a B-1 pilot. Hmmm, nerd sitting in an office < USAF aviator.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top