BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These things happen when your transit system does not actually require riders to actually pay.  Then they kneecap the LE who did spot checks for fare payment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Convenient how the homeless problem became out of control a few years after light rail was pushed through to connect the burbs with downtown. Hillsboro line terminates next to the county jail. More than one escapee (we have 400# blimps for guards) has scooted on the Max rail. We have plenty in the burbs now but likely to lots more. People still give cash handouts to them like they are pets.

These things happen when your transit system does not actually require riders to actually pay.  Then they kneecap the LE who did spot checks for fare payment.

Exactly. After they coerced the two neighbor counties to help foot the operations bill (feds paid most of the $20 billion to construct) the city then declared all of the city a fare free zone!

There has never been much more than fig leaf fare enforcement. From a brand new clean light rail it has become the above ground subway of denizens with a few commuters holding their noses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Trimet is a joke. It's propped up by businesses that operate in the Portland area.

They tax you a "trimet" tax as a percentage of your gross (not net) profits.

It can't and never will actually be able to turn a profit (or even break even) due to the way its ran.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Convenient how the homeless problem became out of control a few years after light rail was pushed through to connect the burbs with downtown. Hillsboro line terminates next to the county jail. More than one escapee (we have 400# blimps for guards) has scooted on the Max rail. We have plenty in the burbs now but likely to lots more. People still give cash handouts to them like they are pets.

Trimet is a joke. It's propped up by businesses that operate in the Portland area.

They tax you a "trimet" tax as a percentage of your gross (not net) profits.

It can't and never will actually be able to turn a profit (or even break even) due to the way its ran.

Hey someone has to pay the dude with the grease mop on the 90 degree turn into China Town! Otherwise it grinds to a halt. 21st century rail!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Portland what? Maine? Oregon? Tennessee?

Either way, meh.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Many businesses make the stores stand on their own.

For example. I run a factory. I pay the corporate office 4.5% of profits. If I am not profitable I lose my job. The next guy has to be profitable.

If nobody can be profitable because circumstances can’t be overcome, you shut it down.

Circumstances include theft, competition, large crowds burning the building down, etc.

ETA: Many businesses are so big that they don’t have insurance. When you get over about $200 million in the bank you don’t get insurance, you put lawyers on your payroll and hire a company to manage claims.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Portland doesn't even hold a candle to salem for homeless camp size.

There's a camp of at least 3k that have taken over the park behind the Walmart there.

Serious target rich environment.

Worked in methford year before last and thought thr homeless there was bad till I headed to salem next.

Salem they regularly walk around with hatchets and machetes sticking out of their backpacks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Portland doesn't even hold a candle to salem for homeless camp size.

There's a camp of at least 3k that have taken over the park behind the Walmart there.

Serious target rich environment.

Worked in methford year before last and thought thr homeless there was bad till I headed to salem next.

Salem they regularly walk around with hatchets and machetes sticking out of their backpacks.
View Quote
It's disgusting.  The Rite-Aid (As you come over the Marion Street Bridge) looks like a small airliner just crashed and spread debris all over the street.  Shit, piss, needles, trash, bike parts and shopping carts......we didn't have that crap when I was a teenager 40 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:35:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never heard of geofenced shopping carts, much less seen one.
View Quote

Extremely common in cities across the US.  Seriously, they’re all over.   One of the front wheels looks weird, so you can easily ID them.   Typically the store will post a conspicuous sign, announcing that the carts won’t function if removed from store property.  

Antarctica tends to be a little short on large chain grocery stores, so it’s understandable that you’ve never seen one.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 3:05:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
4 million for falsely accusing someone of shoplifting. That's crazy
View Quote
The reparations have begun!
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 3:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2023 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Comments are comedy gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGY60Qq3Wrg
View Quote
They are.   I especially liked the top one - "That's really going to inconvenience a lot of people who will have to find a new place to shoplift."
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 3:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Extremely common in cities across the US.  Seriously, they’re all over.   One of the front wheels looks weird, so you can easily ID them.   Typically the store will post a conspicuous sign, announcing that the carts won’t function if removed from store property.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never heard of geofenced shopping carts, much less seen one.

Consider me suspicious about their effectiveness.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck Portland.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fuck Portland.
View Quote
It's a shame, for a time Portland was a pretty cool place. Fucking sad what it and a lot of cool places have become.

There are few cities in the US I'm interested in visiting now, and unlike most of GD, I actually enjoy cities.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]
hood rats to the suburbs!
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a shame, for a time Portland was a pretty cool place. Fucking sad what it and a lot of cool places have become.

There are few cities in the US I'm interested in visiting now, and unlike most of GD, I actually enjoy cities.

View Quote

I also used to enjoy Portland....been there a dozen times.

Between the Breweries, and other neat/weird things you could see, it was a nice place to visit.

All that changed about 5 years ago.

Fuck Portland.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Everything they touch. Everything.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, they certainly won’t address the crime problem, so what’s next on the list to close?  Target?  If they start closing dollar generals you know shit has officially hit the fan.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Brainwashed elitist commie SIL and her even more corrupted hubby moved there 8 years ago from to them the hellish hickville of Murphy NC. They loved it the first 4 or 5 years but not so much now that she can see a homeless shithole in a park down the street and anything not nailed down gets stolen. They are the quintessential liberal elites and I doubt they have ever lowered themselves to go in the East Point WM 5 or so blocks away from them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, they certainly won’t address the crime problem, so what’s next on the list to close?  Target?  If they start closing dollar generals you know shit has officially hit the fan.
View Quote

All of them.  If I was a stockholder, I'd be a little upset at losing all that money to libtard policies allowing unchecked shoplifting because Muh Repa...Repit...Slavery, Bitch!  Fuck entitled worthless oxygen thieves and their libtard massas.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Crazy they spend so much on lite rail promising fares will maintain it but then make it essentially free.

Took the light rail from SeaTac to downtown Seattle once not a single person checking for passes or tickets felt like sucker for paying the ten bucks or whatever it was .

My only subway/rail experience is Europe and they took random ticket checks pretty seriously.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
But where will the homeless steal their tents from?
View Quote

The Homeless get free tents from the city of Portland.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Crazy they spend so much on lite rail promising fares will maintain it but then make it essentially free.

Took the light rail from SeaTac to downtown Seattle once not a single person checking for passes or tickets felt like sucker for paying the ten bucks or whatever it was .

My only subway/rail experience is Europe and they took random ticket checks pretty seriously.

View Quote

Seattle's light rail is a joke.  Most people don't pay.  It's rare that someone's asks to see your ticket onboard.  There are no turnstiles or other barriers to pass through; just walk on the train.  The few people that do ride the train get to deal with the junkies and mental cases.  It is not uncommon to see a homeless sleeping next to a pile of garbage or someone smoking meth on the train.  Be careful where you sit as well.  Lots of mystery stains on those seats.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are Target stores not far from each of the Walmarts that are closing.  One in Jantzen Beach (that also has a Best Buy and Home Depot) is near the Walmart in Delta Park, and the other Target at Mall 205 is near the 82nd ave Walmart is also next to a Home Depot.

There was a Cracker Barrel in Jantzen Beach that closed not long ago, so its happening.  The Best Buy stores generally have armed private security when they are located in sketchier areas.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There are Target stores not far from each of the Walmarts that are closing.  One in Jantzen Beach (that also has a Best Buy and Home Depot) is near the Walmart in Delta Park, and the other Target at Mall 205 is near the 82nd ave Walmart is also next to a Home Depot.

There was a Cracker Barrel in Jantzen Beach that closed not long ago, so its happening.  The Best Buy stores generally have armed private security when they are located in sketchier areas.
View Quote

The Home Depots will soon be raped if they aren't already. My son worked at a Home Depot in Seattle stocking shelves last year. He said the store lost 10K a day in theft. He said that the drill bits were frequently stolen and a PITA to keep inventory on.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seattle and Portland do the same thing. The city won’t vote to pay for it so they try to rope in the county to help (King or Multnomah). Nope, too big a cost. So then they pressure the two neighbor counties to join in to “share the burden” and reap big bucks. But eventually the city declares itself a fare free zone and only the rubes in the counties have to pay fares.

Seattle was shopping that crap around when I worked there in 95. They never give up. Billions.

Works every time!
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Home Depots will soon be raped if they aren't already. My son worked at a Home Depot in Seattle stocking shelves last year. He said the store lost 10K a day in theft. He said that the drill bits were frequently stolen and a PITA to keep inventory on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More and more stuff at Home Depot is locked behind cages. You have to REALLY want something to hunt down an apron and wait for them to figure out how to unlock it. Sure cuts down the spontaneous splurge buys.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Moar please!  They need to just finish the job and burn the place down. Start over. Unfortunately our hand basket still has a way to go to reach complete hell and the steering and throttle are jammed.

Time to eject!
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I saw this gem today and thought it was fitting here:

[youtube]shorts/aD1mVdYBE7g?feature=share[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I saw this gem today and thought it was fitting here:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aD1mVdYBE7g?feature=share
View Quote

This is wild! Follow us for crazy videos #follow #portland #fyp #shorts #short #followme
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:36:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Won't be able to eat at Cracker Barrel there either.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 5:10:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow, is this kind of John Galt-ish?
View Quote

Except that in Galt’s Gulch, nobody was making big bucks by catering to those who don’t work for what they eat (EBT) and facilitating the exodus of U.S. Dollars to third-world countries and drug cartels via private money orders. Most of Walmart’s business model is now based on those huge revenue streams.

FUCK Walmart. They will soon go the way of K-mart and SEARS. Good riddance.

For the people in those areas, FUCK YOU TOO! You wanted Leftist Government, you voted to give up your RTK&BA and live at the mercy of BLM, ANTIFA and other assorted rapists, murderers, arsonists, pedophiles and scum. YOU traded independent thought for dependency on drugs and .gov cheese. Enjoy your dystopia.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I know someone who talked to the manager of one of the closed stores. His store alone was losing $6-7 million per year. Walmart warned them they'd do this if the city didn't start enforcing laws. City did nothing so Walmart packed up.
On the low end that's $500k/mo. $16,666/day, $694 per hour 24/7
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top