Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2022 3:26:19 PM EDT
I can't even begin to imagine what these people went through.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/andes-plane-crash-survivors-recount-resorting-cannibalism-50-years-later

All 16 survivors of the 1972 Andes plane crash have reunited for the 50th anniversary, according to a report.

Uruguayan Flight 571 was set to take a team of amateur rugby players and their supporters to Chile. Instead, it crashed and stranded survivors for 72 days in the cordillera, forcing them to eat human flesh to stay alive.

"Of course, the idea of eating human flesh was terrible, repugnant," Ramon Sabella, 70, told The Sunday Times in London. "It was hard to put in your mouth. But we got used to it."

Sabella recalled the choice survivors made when Roberto Canessa, a medical student, suggested they eat the bodies of the deceased in order for the rest of them to survive, The Daily Mail reported.

"(Carlos) Paez said there was no other option for the young survivors, noting for the morbidly curious that human meat 'doesn't taste of anything, really.'" the report states.

Paez added it was the survivors' duty to travel the world and share their story.  

Forty-five passengers were on the ill-fated plane on Oct. 13, 1972. Authorities said during the flight, the pilot veered off course in a dense fog before crashing into the snowy Andes mountains.

Twelve passengers were killed in the crash. Seventeen others died from injuries and suffocation from an avalanche that occurred days later.

Desperate after more than two months in the frigid peaks, Canessa and Fernando Parrado left the crash site to seek help. It was the group's last attempt at survival.

After 10 days of trekking, they spotted Sergio Catalan, a livestock herder in the foothills of the Chilean Andes. The conditions were such that the pair couldn't get too close to Catalan, but from afar, they heard him say one word: "Tomorrow."

"With that (word), our suffering ended," Canessa said.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/andes-plane-crash-survivors-recount-resorting-cannibalism-50-years-later

All 16 survivors of the 1972 Andes plane crash have reunited for the 50th anniversary, according to a report.

Uruguayan Flight 571 was set to take a team of amateur rugby players and their supporters to Chile. Instead, it crashed and stranded survivors for 72 days in the cordillera, forcing them to eat human flesh to stay alive.

"Of course, the idea of eating human flesh was terrible, repugnant," Ramon Sabella, 70, told The Sunday Times in London. "It was hard to put in your mouth. But we got used to it."

Sabella recalled the choice survivors made when Roberto Canessa, a medical student, suggested they eat the bodies of the deceased in order for the rest of them to survive, The Daily Mail reported.

"(Carlos) Paez said there was no other option for the young survivors, noting for the morbidly curious that human meat 'doesn't taste of anything, really.'" the report states.

Paez added it was the survivors' duty to travel the world and share their story.  

Forty-five passengers were on the ill-fated plane on Oct. 13, 1972. Authorities said during the flight, the pilot veered off course in a dense fog before crashing into the snowy Andes mountains.

Twelve passengers were killed in the crash. Seventeen others died from injuries and suffocation from an avalanche that occurred days later.

Desperate after more than two months in the frigid peaks, Canessa and Fernando Parrado left the crash site to seek help. It was the group's last attempt at survival.

After 10 days of trekking, they spotted Sergio Catalan, a livestock herder in the foothills of the Chilean Andes. The conditions were such that the pair couldn't get too close to Catalan, but from afar, they heard him say one word: "Tomorrow."

View Quote

IIRC from reading the book 30 years ago it was t like they were having barbecue parties, they would do things like wrapping bits of meat with snow and such to disguise what it was and they treated the corpses with as much respect as they could, given the situation.  It was a thought situation and I think they survived with their dignity intact.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IIRC from reading the book 30 years ago it was t like they were having barbecue parties, they would do things like wrapping bits of meat with snow and such to disguise what it was and they treated the corpses with as much respect as they could, given the situation.  It was a thought situation and I think they survived with their dignity intact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They absolutely have their dignity.  Anyone would do the same to survive.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Many people resort to cannibalism too late for it to do any good. They've already reached the point of no return due to social mores.

Food for thought.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

The movie touched on that as well.
They would also walk off and eat alone so no one could see them do it.
Horrible situation.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Many people resort to cannibalism too late for it to do any good. They've already reached the point of no return due to social mores.

Food for thought.
View Quote
That's... a lot to digest.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Do what you gotta do to stay alive. Much respect.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Add some seasoning and it would probably taste better.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Can’t imagine what an awful situation that was.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

I read the book about ten years ago when I found it at a thrift store for 50 cents. I had knowledge of the event prior to finding the book and it was a humbling read for sure.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Spinal column lower right
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Cheese. . .
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Andes plane crash survivors recount resorting to cannibalism 50 years later

What did they survive on for the first fifty years?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Spinal column lower right
View Quote

Backstraps
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember watching a documentary that featured interviews from the survivors--coming from a region under heavy Catholic influence came in handy.

Hard to cast stones at those survivors if you are taking the body of Christ on Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Read two books about it. One was really good. The other was written by a survivor who was butt hurt because the first book said he was lazy and whiny.

The movie, Alive, was good, too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Read two books about it. One was really good. The other was written by a survivor who was butt hurt because the first book said he was lazy and whiny.

The movie, Alive, was good, too.
View Quote

I read the one by Piers Paul Read, it was good.  Was the one by the survivor any good?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]
The Donner pass now has a picnic table.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty sure the avarage fatass today could go 72 days without food.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
A few years ago National Geographic did a story where 2 experienced climbers went to the crash scene and recreated the 10 day hike out. Said it was not possible to believe those 2 could have done it in their condition, but they did. I still have that issue and occasionally reread it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I couldn't help but remember the scene from Fresh Prince where Will and Carlton are stuck on the mountain.  Carlton says, "Will, I want you to eat me."
"What?"
"If I die first.  I hear the buttocks has the most meat."
"Oh, god, I hope I die first!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top