Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/11/2024 1:09:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CRSSBNS]
Roommate and I were working on his motorcycle radiator system and he ended up with antifreeze getting on his phone. He had antifreeze residue on his hands from handling his phone and used our microwave to heat up some food. I know for a fact that the antifreeze was the ethylene glycol stuff, not the polypropylene glycol low toxicity stuff some vehicles come with.

Not sure if I should be looking at replacing the microwave or not because of this. Worried that whatever antifreeze was on his hands got on the food container and evaporated into the crevices and fan system in the microwave, which might re-deposit on food cooked in there in the future.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not worry about this at all.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I would just a new house, just to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Extra flavour.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this a parody thread?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nottooslow:
Is this a parody thread?
View Quote

No I'm being serious lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ANut] [#6]
Tiny amounts won't hurt you. The danger is it tastes sweet so it encourages kids/animals to consume enough to become toxic.

A quick Google search says LD50 (dosage that is lethal in 50% of cases) is about 7.6 ounces for an adult. That is about 2/3 of a 12-ounce soda.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but I am not a lawyer nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:16:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W202fan90] [#7]
Antifreeze is actually a commonly consumed “recreational” beverage and as a sweet taste……

*PSA: DO NOT DRINK. EVER.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Make him clean microwave and carry on with life.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CRSSBNS:
Roommate and I were working on his motorcycle radiator system and he ended up with antifreeze getting on his phone. He had antifreeze residue on his hands from handling his phone and used our microwave to heat up some food. I know for a fact that the antifreeze was the ethylene glycol stuff, not the polypropylene glycol low toxicity stuff some vehicles come with.

Not sure if I should be looking at replacing the microwave or not because of this. Worried that whatever antifreeze was on his hands got on the food container and evaporated into the crevices and fan system in the microwave, which might re-deposit on food cooked in there in the future.

What do you guys think?
View Quote

Throw two cups of water in a pyrex.  Microwave for 8 minutes. Wipe the steam/condensation off the inside with a paper towel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd just clean it well
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
Tiny amounts won't hurt you. The danger is it tastes sweet so it encourages kids/animals to consume enough to become toxic.

A quick Google search says LD50 is about 7.6 ounces for an adult. That is about 2/3 of a 12-ounce soda.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but I am not a lawyer nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
View Quote

I know its a minuscule amount thats in there, I'm more worried about the continued exposure to it, with it soaking into my food every time I cook it. I use the microwave about 2-3 times a day.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as your makeup isn't smudged, you should be OK. JFC. "My boyfriend contaminated my microwave"
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#13]
lol, Do people really worry about useless shit like this?

Clean the microwave and forget it, the small amount on his hands wouldn't harm a mouse, but I guess you could put a mouse in the microwave and turn it on, if the mouse is dead, you have your answer. Don't do this, you might turn into Mickey Mouse.

I'm a mechanic, and wash my hands before using the microwave, but I'm sure there are still chemicals on my hands to some degree when I use it, but I'd worry more about all the chemicals the microwave is built with before worrying about the small amount still on my hands.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]

I know its a minuscule amount thats in there, I'm more worried about the continued exposure to it, with it soaking into my food every time I cook it. I use the microwave about 2-3 times a day.
View Quote

Then throw it out and buy a new one that's full of chemicals from the start.

They're full of plastic, that was made from petroleum products, plus all kinds of other shit that we don't know about.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
He had antifreeze residue on his hands...
View Quote
Amputate hands and carry on (joking).
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Air fryer for the win. It’s like a little oven that heats up fast.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Clean the microwave.  Move on with life.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aiba7x] [#18]
id be FAR more worried about all the microwave rays youre putting into your own food 2-3 times a day  

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
What tiny amount might have gotten in there will decompose over time.  If you want to do anything, wipe down the inside surfaces you can reach easily, and maybe put a glass cup of water in there and nuke that sucker for a while so it boils and fills the space with hot water vapor and wipe it down after.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Move on, not even worth thinking about...
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#21]
First mistake is having a roommate. Second is having one that doesn't wash their hands. Just sayin'
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CRSSBNS] [#22]
Originally Posted By SystemFailCoreDump:
First mistake is having a roommate. Second is having one that doesn't wash their hands. Just sayin'
View Quote

Well, we are in the south...
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#23]

View Quote

Microwave ovens are cheaper than a psychiatric counseling session.  I suggest upgrading to a GE with convection option .
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Is this a joke?

You're probably fine but you may want to tannerie the microwave. It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#25]
His name was CRSSBNS
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I would just clean it. If it were that toxic, they wouldn't use it in cars.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Clean microwave and move on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

Microwave ovens are cheaper than a psychiatric counseling session.  I suggest upgrading to a GE with convection option .
View Quote

Clicked on the link & received...
Last purchased Oct 23, 2023
Size: OLD 1.0 Cu. Ft
It works fine, wish I would have ordered one with a larger cooking chamber.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd burn the house down just to be safe.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Neutralize it by peeing on it. Should be good after.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
View Quote

Same.  I've been flushing a radiator while eating snacks and drinking a beer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:59:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: operatorerror] [#32]
Ethylene glycol is tasty!  Yeah it's poisonous but the antidote is...copious amounts of alcohol!  Win/win!

Commence to drinking!

eta Seriously.  It has an interesting taste. And booze is one of the treatments for an overdose.  Also seriously, don't do it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Are you scared of brake clean too?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I've definitely gotten the green stuff in my mouth before. Still mostly ok
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
View Quote

This, I’ve tasted my fair share of antifreeze.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:33:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GraboidHunter] [#36]
Read up on the bacteria that survives in microwaves.  Anti-freeze ain't nothing compared to the radiation and heat resistant killer bacteria that's growing in your microwave oven.  Keyword "extremophile bacteria" should get you started.

My strategy is when the microwave gets dirty enough that I can't see through the glass anymore I throw it out and get a new one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MilHouse-556] [#37]
OP when there's a spider in the house:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#38]
What the fuck?

There's no way this isn't a troll post.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#39]
when you guys need to head to the store to get a part, you definitely double up on one of your bikes

"why waste gas taking two bikes haha"

haha

yeah
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I think you should continue to focus on introducing a girl into your life. Don't share your crib with another guy - get some steady coochie in your life. Once you do that, shit like this will resolve itself on its own.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By centermass181:
I've definitely gotten the green stuff in my mouth before. Still mostly ok
View Quote

Same. I was pulling part off at a junk yard 25 years ago and got a bunch in my mouth. Still here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Microwave a bowl of vinegar
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#44]
And I shake my head at the posters worrying about meat they thawed on the counter...

OP, imagine all the plastics that must be off-gassing inside your microwave every time you fire it up, or the machining oils vaporizing off the metal panels.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Run it through the dishwasher.
It works for cleaning engine parts, it should work for a microwave.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Nobody tell him the "microwave" is short for "microwave radiation oven".

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#47]
You do realize that the entire surface of EVERYTHING you come into contact with, has a micro thin layer of shit on it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#48]

No I'm being serious lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nottooslow:
Is this a parody thread?

No I'm being serious lol

In that case, you may need a responsible adult guardian.

Sending good thoughts. God bless.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I think you should worry more about all of the toxins in the stuff you're cooking in the microwave.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

Same. I was pulling part off at a junk yard 25 years ago and got a bunch in my mouth. Still here.
View Quote

Mixed with oil it tastes like maple syrup
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top