Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2024 7:57:26 PM EDT
I used to have a Parker P36 like this years ago but stupidly sold it.  I didn't know for a long time that they shut down and happened to look online at prices again and was shocked to see how expensive Parker guitars have become, especially their higher end Fly ones.  I'd been wanting a P36 again, and they were always pretty pricey (well over a grand for ones in good condition) but lucked out and found this one on ebay in great shape at a decent price that I just had to sand and polish out a few spots on the fretboard where it looked like someone with long nails must have played it, leaving vertical scratches in the first few frets.

My guitar playing friends always gave me crap about the guitar, as they thought it was ugly.  I liked it because it IS different looking, and it feels good to play with a nice thin neck.

If you've got any Parker models, post them on here, I'd like to see them.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2024 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Play what you love!

Me? I think the head stock looks weird.. but the beauty is in how it feels.

And that from a guy that thought the weird cort guitars from the 80's were "neat"... and can't decide if I think the Airliner and Danelectro's are cool or ugly...
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:00:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BDA:
Play what you love!

Me? I think the head stock looks weird.. but the beauty is in how it feels.

And that from a guy that thought the weird cort guitars from the 80's were "neat"... and can't decide if I think the Airliner and Danelectro's are cool or ugly...
View Quote

I remember the Cort guitars from back then.   I was after an Axstar headless electric back in the mid 80's that was funky looking and wish I had gotten one.  I've always liked off the wall looking guitars, though I do like the looks of my Strat, Tele and Epiphone LP custom.  

As for the headstock, the exposed last few strings at the bottom made me think "I could slice cheese with that during a gig for a snack."  

Here's the Axstar I wanted.  Definitely an 80's style.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I lusted after a Parker Fly back in the early 90s.  Finally bought myself a Fly Mojo in the early aughts.  I'll get a picture to share when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I always thought his electrics were super niche and only interesting from a tech perspective, but his archtops look absolutely amazing.  I can't imagine enjoying the sound of a carbon fiber anything, though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jakezor] [#5]
Got more wood than CF, the CF is only on the back/sides to stiffen it up.  It sustains incredibly well due to the strength to weight of that thin layer. The guitar is around 4.5#.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Nothing else is able to get a neck joint that thin.  There is one ergonomic folly with the guitar,  the backside of the top horn digs into your sternum if you lean forward while playing seated.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
VERY nice!  I like the flame wood and that color.  That's a good looking guitar.  I've only seen and played one other Parker and that was their Strat style one that a friend had for sale at his music store years ago.  I was tempted to buy it but didn't.  Wish I had.   He's got a small guitar store up near Kansas City, I should ask him to keep his eyes peeled for any Parkers he sees that someone might be selling.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I've always wanted to play one, but never had the opportunity.  Sometimes I wish guitarists weren't such purists and were more open to new designs.  I get why vintage guitars and vintage designs are popular,  but I feel like we are missing out on some cool stuff because the average guitarist won't even consider something new.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By larkinmusic:
I've always wanted to play one, but never had the opportunity.  Sometimes I wish guitarists weren't such purists and were more open to new designs.  I get why vintage guitars and vintage designs are popular,  but I feel like we are missing out on some cool stuff because the average guitarist won't even consider something new.
View Quote

The issue is there isn't much to change.  Some woods and pickups sound better than others and we've pretty much tried all the woods and winding methods at this point.

That said, modern metal players are using some wild shit like crazy active electronics, fan-fretted 7, 8, 9 string instruments, etc.

But at the end of the day it is interfacing with a human so like a Glock or a 1911 why would you appreciably change the interface?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:05:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave] [#9]
Originally Posted By larkinmusic:
View Quote

I've always liked the Les Paul and it's my favorite guitar, followed by the Stratocaster.  But I do like to see other designs that go outside the usual look, which is why stuff like the Parker caught my eye, and that weird Ibanez Axstar headless I posted a pic of.  I like quirky stuff I guess.  Hell, I own some KelTec guns.    That should show I like oddball stuff.  

I've never had the opportunity to play one of the high end Fly models like Jakezor's above, and have only played the P36 a lot and really like the feel of it, the neck is very easy to play.  I hope I get the chance to try out a Fly model one of these days and see how they feel and sound.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Parker PM20 here. Best neck ever! Haven't touched the Strat in a year. Great sound, playability, feel.

Wish I could afford a Fly, or a Fly Deluxe. Parker made some amazing guitars. Very underrated.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#11]
You know he has a series on Youtube that he's doing with how he builds his archtops and it is very interesting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
You know he has a series on Youtube that he's doing with how he builds his archtops and it is very interesting.
View Quote

Thanks I'll have to check it out!
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Strats:
Parker PM20 here. Best neck ever! Haven't touched the Strat in a year. Great sound, playability, feel.

Wish I could afford a Fly, or a Fly Deluxe. Parker made some amazing guitars. Very underrated.

View Quote

I looked up the PM20.  Those are good looking guitars!  I saw some with some great looking woodgrain clear/stained finishes.  What does yours look like?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top