Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 8/26/2024 6:27:05 PM EDT
As long as I've known her and driven her anywhere, she can't seem to help herself. Brake lights 200 yards in front of us? She's digging her heels into the floorboards and grabbing the center console and door handle for dear life. Someone drifts into my lane on the highway a bit, she starts yelling my name in a "pay the fuck attention" tone. Someone jumps their turn at the 4 way stop after I've started moving, "WATCHOUT!!!!!". Today we are pulling onto the main road off the side road we live on and someone turns left off the main road onto the  side road and cuts into our lane. Guy was probably three feet into our lane as he whipped in. Loses her ever loving mind. Tells me "You were pulling out in front of him!". I can't, guys. I'm supposed to drive into NYC tomorrow with her, and I'm not mentally prepared for it. I've told here over, and over, and over that when she does this, I assume someone is about to die, and I'm worried one day I'm going to jerk the wheel in response to her screaming bloody murder, and I'm going to get us all killed. She's neurotic for sure, and I deal with it. This is too much though. The thing is I am always the driver when we're together, and I've never had an accident to her one. Debating if I should hand her the keys for the trip tomorrow and let her handle the whole thing. Am I alone in this? Anyone have similar issues? Thanks for coming to my vent session.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
SO does all the time    To the point where I’ll tell her, not to panic before it starts.   It never works out right.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  My wife does this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:35:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#3]
Op's wife

I drive like this...

My wife don't make a peep....ever about my driving.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:36:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Every time my wife did that shit I stopped the car put it in park got out and told her to drive, if she wouldn’t move I would just get in the back seat until she did get her ass in the drivers seat. It’s been 10-12 years now and not a peep.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By markfall:
As long as I've known her and driven her anywhere, she can't seem to help herself. Brake lights 200 yards in front of us? She's digging her heels into the floorboards and grabbing the center console and door handle for dear life. Someone drifts into my lane on the highway a bit, she starts yelling my name in a "pay the fuck attention" tone. Someone jumps their turn at the 4 way stop after I've started moving, "WATCHOUT!!!!!". Today we are pulling onto the main road off the side road we live on and someone turns left off the main road onto the  side road and cuts into our lane. Guy was probably three feet into our lane as he whipped in. Loses her ever loving mind. Tells me "You were pulling out in front of him!". I can't, guys. I'm supposed to drive into NYC tomorrow with her, and I'm not mentally prepared for it. I've told here over, and over, and over that when she does this, I assume someone is about to die, and I'm worried one day I'm going to jerk the wheel in response to her screaming bloody murder, and I'm going to get us all killed. She's neurotic for sure, and I deal with it. This is too much though. The thing is I am always the driver when we're together, and I've never had an accident to her one. Debating if I should hand her the keys for the trip tomorrow and let her handle the whole thing. Am I alone in this? Anyone have similar issues? Thanks for coming to my vent session.
View Quote
Sisters....we married sisters.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:38:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARandomClaymore] [#7]
My wife is a late braker and a left lane camper. Finds curbs with her wheels that even Ray Charles could avoid.

I do all the driving now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes.

She still doesn't believe me that I could have been a race car driver in another life.

It's OK I'll keep trying to convince her.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Try driving faster and actually reckless.. then tell her to not talk/distract you before we both die.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I firmly believe it's a standard issue kinda thing if you are a split tail. I didn't marry a girl that is scared every time I try to slide around a corner, but I sure ended up with one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#12]
“Close your eyes”
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
She used to.  I broke her of that.  Now she only occasionally gets onto me for doing 50 through the neighborhood.
People who don't usually ride with me, like her brother, do gasp and reach for the "oh shit" handle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#14]
View Quote

OP, the only solution is for you to start driving so fucking erratically that she just completely shuts down in pure fear! Make sure you laugh maniacally as you do this, and sport an evil grin. Be sure to tell her "Isn't this FUN, baby???"
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope.

She doesn't drive and in 37 years of marriage I haven't had a single accident nor killed us too many times.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:43:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: S58DRIVER] [#16]
I raced M3's professionally for years ...still my wife climbs out of her seat when I turn Miami I -95 rush hour traffic  into a high speed.slalom..
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife is a PITA as a passenger.  Apparently she does it to other people too.

One day she was so over the top I pulled over and told her to drive.  That didn't go very well but I had enough.

I tell her if she finds traffic frightening, do what I do and close your eyes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Its in the small print of the marriage license.  You agree to having a driving instructor for life.  No matter how wrong they are.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Not after I pulled over one day handed her the keys and got out and walked back to our old house.

Told her I was done with the screaming and jumping and freak outs. She could drive herself or let me drive the damn car, but I wasn’t going to die in a ditch because she couldn’t handle being a quiet passenger princess.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Women shouldn’t be allowed to drive or vote.  Who knew?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARandomClaymore:
My wife is a late braker and a left lane camper. Finds curbs with her wheels that even Ray Charles could avoid.

I do all the driving now.
View Quote

You too, eh? 11 years together and she still doesn't understand she's the reason her car needs 4 brake jobs to every 1 of mine. I really think she was scientifically engineered to be a bad driver
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#22]
The drama queen I’m married to does the same damn thing.  I just stop and tell her to drive. After the last trip we did I will never drive in the same car as her. It’s mentally exhausting and ruins every trip. There could be a red light on a radio tower and she is slamming her feet and gripping the center console saying oh my god they’re all stopping.  It’s ridiculous how stupid it can get. Even my kids refuse to ride with her anymore . Not sure what screws have came loose but there must be several.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#23]
My wife's a pretty rowdy driver, herself.  If we're on a road trip, I let her take it.  Especially if we're gonna get near a big city.  She gets in the zone, banging through gears and swimming through atlanta traffic.  I just sit there in the passenger seat like a co-pilot in a rally car.

Sometimes I have to remind her the poor little car wasn't meant to do a 5hr road trip at WOT.  If she don't let up, she'll blow the motor up and we wont see the beach.  

Dear God!! Lucky rally driver ;)
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HemiPowrd] [#24]
Yep! She grabs the OMG handle constantly when I'm driving. I think it's a control issue. She has no problem when she's driving and she doesn't drive that much more cautiously than I do. If I drove as fast as I'm capable of she'd probably pass out from fear.

I'd try grabbing the OMG handle and carrying on like she does when she's driving, but that'd probably cause her to have an accident.

ETA: She also uses the brake pedal like a light switch - it's either ON or off. No concept of gentle braking to slow to a stop or just scrub off some speed. Sees brake lights 100 feet ahead and the brakes are ON!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Get her a "chill pill"
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, she freaks out when she is driving too.

But I also mostly don't like riding with other people driving.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe a few times when we were first dating. Married 30 years now. She doesn’t even flinch if I get into heavy oversteer now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife gets horrible motion sickness like puking on the floor boards bad if she isn't driving.  The solution is she drives everywhere and I nap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

The next time she does this turn traction control off and start ripping high speed drifts until she agrees with you that your previous driving was actually pretty safe all things considered. It wouldn't hurt to throw in a sweet sweet J turn or 2 as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Birthday/Christmas gift- honey it is not for sleeping, it’s your anti anxiety meds.

If she won’t wear it, she drives.

My grandmother was like this, my mom is starting to do it….
Haven’t bought them masks but I drive my mom 3-4 times a year right now since she lives too far away
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for making me feel better, guys. Glad I'm not the only one married to my wife.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#32]
When I drive? No

But when she’s on the back of one of my Harleys it’s mildly entertaining
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Yup. Makes me nervous about everything, meanwhile she's a tailgater, late braker, always either accelerating or braking, never just coasts, and completely oblivious.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife learned too drive outside Philly... 90mph and 3 feet off the next car's bumper, and that is no lie.  Scares the shit out of me when we go anywhere. She will never drive my truck (06' Ram 2500 diesel, 6 speed manual), nor tow our 39' camper as long as I live.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I say this, until I get a ticket or get into a wreck STFU seriously.
usually never goes over well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#36]
We were just in Atlanta traffic this past weekend. I drive like normal and she pushes her brake pedal and steers with the oh shit handle. I have told her not to scream.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: junker46] [#37]

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Shit, I'm the one pumping the brakes when she drives 😂
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Ex-wife, yeah. Spent the week with her recently and the only issues involved driving in traffic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep, mine stopped years ago when I told her to stop nagging me. Took about a week to call a cease fire and she stopped when I told her screaming at me to stop was a distraction and took my eyes off the road because of her drama.

Mocking her also worked

I told her, you know before I married you I would always just PLOW INTO THE BACK OF THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME to stop. Could never figure out what those red light on the back of the car were for. The front of my cars were always wrecked and I could never figure out why.  

Now that I have installed the WIFE COLLISION WARNING SYSTEM 2.0 I never run into the back of cars at stop lights and stop signs. Because I get a SCREAMING warning 1000' before I see the car at the stop light and to apply my brakes because if I don't we are all GOING TO DIE!

I use that for the occasional slip ups.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:02:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Make_Mine_Moxie] [#41]
Attachment Attached File

My wife doesn't do this, but appropriate meme is appropriate.

ETA: beat by 2 minutes!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By xCLAYBUSTERx:
Every time my wife did that shit I stopped the car put it in park got out and told her to drive, if she wouldn’t move I would just get in the back seat until she did get her ass in the drivers seat. It’s been 10-12 years now and not a peep.
View Quote

This is the weigh
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#43]
My wife used to do that till I explained (while pretty angry) to her that her  gasping at something really throws me off because I think I missed something and we’re about to get in an accident. She still will complain if her side of the windshield isn’t clean and I tell her she doesn’t need to see. Must be a woman thing but it makes me wonder what it stems from.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.

If your wife doesnt freak out while you are driving then your wife is a dude.  Its a scientific fact.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#47]
This morning:

"There's a dog in the road!"
Yeah.
I see it.
It's black.

Stuff like that all the time.
No freak outs though which is nice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Just the little gasps and putting her hands on the airbag for no reason.  I make a joke about blindfolds.  I have ice veins in order to not slam the brakes.  Good training to not freak out when someone pops out of nowhere or just appears.  Steady as she goes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#49]
No.

Mine tried that shit early on in the marriage.

I pulled the fuck over, got out and told her to drive.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#50]
My usual response “are you fucking Amish?” Or “how’s your first ride in an automobile going?”

The great irony, as we’re getting driven around Mexico by stunt driver wannabees not a single peep or reaction.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top