User Panel

Page / 5
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Only once…in the 911 on a race track.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The “watch out” is going to get me killed one day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Only time I've told my wife to STFU.

I was at least happy to learn that she doesn't just do it to me... I taught all four kids to drive because she would do the same shit to them.  

I just let her drive now if we are going anywhere, she can put the miles on her car and burn her own gas.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife does occasionally, never terribly exaggerated tho. Any time she does I just calmly say “oh geez, thank god you are here, what would I do without you” and that usually gets my point across.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]
My X did that. Part of the reason that she was an X.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread cracked me up.

My wife does this frequently. Why are women like this?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Make her take some Dramamine. Double dose to make her drowsy.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah my wife does the “STOP!” With a ton of attitude when we’re like 1/4 mile from a stop sign. And heaven for in someone brakes suddenly on the highway, there could be a massive pile up with dead bodies up ahead and she would look at me like it was my fucking fault for the sudden braking.

Meanwhile she holds the record for number of times backing into the garage door. But I’m not allowed to bring that up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
No you're being an asshole You can't rationalize fear. You scare her and you made a vow to protect her but instead you mistreat her for what?  Arriving somewhere two minutes sooner?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6EQUJ5:
What a dick move. Men's reaction time is nearly double of women's. She's scared and your answer is to treat her like a child? My husband's driving scares me too. I just ask him to slow down a little and I'm no longer scared.

She wants to act like a child, that is how she will be treated. I'm probably the most defensive driver you've ever seen. I like to pay attention to what is going on so when she blurts out "watch out for that car" when I've already seen it, it's distracting. If it wasn't constant and unreasonable, it wouldn't be a problem. But I'm not gonna put either of us at risk because she can't control her "whatever." But when she's driving, and getting ready to do something pretty bad like blow through a red light, I just calmly ask if she plans on stopping for this one or not? If I acted like her every time she started to do something "iffy" in traffic she'd have driven us off a bridge a decade ago.

Sorry your husband is a dick, doesn't mean I'm one. I actually drive the speed limit or less if road conditions warrant it. I have never been in a car accident in my life. My wife had wrecked 8 cars, 6 of them were her fault. She's not an exceptional driver but she thinks she is.

Oh btw, regarding "reaction times."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198384/

The mean fastest reaction time recorded by men was significantly faster than women (p<0.001). At the 99.9% confidence level, neither men nor women can react in 100 ms, but they can react in as little as 109 ms and 121 ms, respectively.
No you're being an asshole You can't rationalize fear. You scare her and you made a vow to protect her but instead you mistreat her for what?  Arriving somewhere two minutes sooner?

What important event have you missed because someone driving you wouldn’t put up with your bad behavior as a passenger?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#11]
No.  But I freak out when she is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife doesn't have that habit, but then I drive smoothly to avoid giving her motion sickness.

About 35 years ago one winter we were on a New York subway when a sketchy mentally ill person on the train was causing trouble and her reaction was to tightly clutch my right arm.  I wrenched free, stood up and put my gloves back on so I wouldn't cut my knuckles on the guys teeth if I had to fight him.  He figured out that a guy my size giving him the stink eye while putting on gloves was not to be fucked with and left.

I later explained (calmly) that tightly holding my arm might feel comforting, but was a significant handicap if I had to get into a fight and likely to get both of us hurt.  She hasn't done it since.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
No, not at all.  She might point out something she thinks I might have not noticed, and actually--I appreciate that, even if I had noticed.  She's not annoying with it--she's just watchful.

She's actually a really good driver, to be honest.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#14]
yes.  My wife hugs the edge of the road, mailboxes whizzing past the passenger side mirror within millimeters.  

Terrifies me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Gunjunki:
Shit, I'm the one pumping the brakes when she drives 😂
View Quote

Same here.  She’s got a vision problem and cannot judge distances.  She holds her foot on the gas approaching a stop sign like she cannot see it.  I’m over on the passenger side stomping the floor.  I’m the opposite that will lift my foot off the pedal and coast a long way because I learned to drive back in the fuel crisis days where they had PSA’s on TV about reducing fuel usage with driving habits.

Now she will scream at me if she feels I’m too close to some asshole camping in the left lane.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
In 20 years of driving the only time I've had a passenger freak out was my mother when I first got my learner's permit. After that little incident I didn't drive with her in the car for a few years until she got sick. Has it ever occurred to any of you that maybe you're not as good as you think you are?
View Quote

I used to ride motorcycles and as a survival technique I took the MSF courses and learned the Scan, Predict, Act method for predicting moves and idiotic driver antics. This has saved me numerous times driving bikes and cars. I still use this when driving cars now. I have track time on both bikes and cars. I know I'm not a professional race car driver and don't try to act like one when on public roads. None of my buddies that ride with me have ever complained about my driving. I've gone so far as to ask them if they have an issue with the way I drive and to a man they all say I'm a very good driver. I don't drive Miss Daisy, but I'm not a very agro driver either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#17]
My exwife would freak out all the time when i was driving.   Yet when she drove she would constantly look at other shit and not paying attention to the road.  My girlfriend is the complete opposite.   She k ows im not going to do anything to get i to an accident and that i will do everything in my power to avoid one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#18]
It took me years to figure out how to drive without my wife complaining.  My rules to keep her quiet:

Exaggerated following distances.  Like at least 20 car lengths.

Brake as if I had a glass of milk filled to the rim sitting on the dash and not spill a drop.

Don’t pass anyone.  Ever.  

Lastly, I always operate under the assumption that she will be driving and head to the passenger door of her car when we head out.  She finally got tired of that and now asks if I can drive.  Put the ball in her court.  

Most people feel uncomfortable if they aren’t driving.  Perception of what the car is doing is different if you are in control.  Anxiety increases if you are t in control and it gets the better of people.  Once I figured this out, I was able to keep the complaints to a minimum.  

When the wife isn’t in the car, I let’er rip.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't drive like I'm trying to win a race.  She just sits there and trusts me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah no fuckin way I would be able to deal with that, I’ve definitely experienced it with other people though. Only issue I have is making my wife car sick from driving “energetically” at times.

Only time she did do it a little was driving in NYC, which I find to be a fun and exciting time especially with a somewhat shitty car. Op will have fun with that one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Sykkone:

What important event have you missed because someone driving you wouldn't put up with your bad behavior as a passenger?
View All Quotes
What a dick move. Men's reaction time is nearly double of women's. She's scared and your answer is to treat her like a child? My husband's driving scares me too. I just ask him to slow down a little and I'm no longer scared.

She wants to act like a child, that is how she will be treated. I'm probably the most defensive driver you've ever seen. I like to pay attention to what is going on so when she blurts out "watch out for that car" when I've already seen it, it's distracting. If it wasn't constant and unreasonable, it wouldn't be a problem. But I'm not gonna put either of us at risk because she can't control her "whatever." But when she's driving, and getting ready to do something pretty bad like blow through a red light, I just calmly ask if she plans on stopping for this one or not? If I acted like her every time she started to do something "iffy" in traffic she'd have driven us off a bridge a decade ago.

Sorry your husband is a dick, doesn't mean I'm one. I actually drive the speed limit or less if road conditions warrant it. I have never been in a car accident in my life. My wife had wrecked 8 cars, 6 of them were her fault. She's not an exceptional driver but she thinks she is.

The mean fastest reaction time recorded by men was significantly faster than women (p<0.001). At the 99.9% confidence level, neither men nor women can react in 100 ms, but they can react in as little as 109 ms and 121 ms, respectively.

What important event have you missed because someone driving you wouldn't put up with your bad behavior as a passenger?
I have never had bad behavior in the car nor have I ever missed an event because I asked my husband to slow down a bit. It's not Indy 500. The jerking back and forth makes me car sick and the tailgating and swerving in and out of traffic scares me. If you're not smart enough to plan ahead enough to get some place on time -you probably shouldn't be driving.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Alpinist:
This thread cracked me up.

My wife does this frequently. Why are women like this?
View Quote
Our reaction time is slower and we see dangerous situations from our perspective. We can't help it. We need to drive a little slower and give ourselves a little more room to be safe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I told my wife that the car has 2 front seats. The driving seat and the shut the fuck up seat. Unless she wants to switch, shut the fuck up!
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Nope

I’m the nervous passenger in our house.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#25]
OP described my wife and many other member's wives in this thread.

I'd let her drive, but she drives with both feet. She brakes with her left foot and causes excessive G's.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I was in a major car wreck and got seriously mangled bitd. That said, I briefed my wife on outbursts in the car day one. Mainly that there would be none.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I have never had bad behavior in the car nor have I ever missed an event because I asked my husband to slow down a bit. It's not Indy 500. The jerking back and forth makes me car sick and the tailgating and swerving in and out of traffic scares me. If you're not smart enough to plan ahead enough to get some place on time -you probably shouldn't be driving.
View Quote

This is the description of bad driving . If you are jerking and swerving usually you are not looking far enough ahead to make good decisions. Looking ahead as far as you can see is important to judging traffic and good driving .
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#28]
My mother does all this. "We're going to miss the turn! You need to turn now! We're going to get lost if you don't make it!" Complete panic.

"Mom, we're 1/2 mile from the intersection and we're going 35 MPH..."
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PrincipsPistol:
late braker, always either accelerating or braking
View Quote

Based
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#30]
No she is either asleep or on her phone. She had driven in cities all her life (Philly/NYC) so she is use to traffic.  Drives well.

Only time I saw her get a little frantic is when I took her home to WV, she was not prepared for the mountain roads…I was a bit out of practice myself, being in Philly so much.  When a old lady in curlers and a towncar came flying down whatever road we were on, she started laughing, “that’s a bad bitch there”

We have fun on road trips.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I have never driven a car with anyone else's wife.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes

lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
My wife's a pretty rowdy driver, herself.  If we're on a road trip, I let her take it.  Especially if we're gonna get near a big city.  She gets in the zone, banging through gears and swimming through atlanta traffic.  I just sit there in the passenger seat like a co-pilot in a rally car.

Sometimes I have to remind her the poor little car wasn't meant to do a 5hr road trip at WOT.  If she don't let up, she'll blow the motor up and we wont see the beach.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyWEOEA1NMs
View Quote

I thought that was going to be the clip where the tree trunk goes right through the windshield between the driver and co-driver...
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Yup.
Just this morning, in fact.
Mrs. Wildebeest is always trying to drive, no matter where she sits.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Dissident:
No.  But I freak out when she is.
View Quote

I get even with mine because every time she backs up, I close my eyes real tight and take a deep breath and hold it waiting for the crash.

Pisses her off to no end.    
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep, absolutely does.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Absolutely she does. The sharp inhale, digging the heels in, reach for the "oh shit" handles for things that are hundreds of yards ahead if not more.

I asked her why they were called passengers, she says why.
Because their not fucking driving, that's why.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By wganz:
My X did that. Part of the reason that she was an X.
View Quote

She used to.  Now she can scare herself when she sees a car braking 3 miles away.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

I don’t believe you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Time to law the fucking law down to her then.  Right when you both get in the car but before you start driving.  At the first sign of her bullshit, you pull over and tell her to get the fuck out.

Only reason women do this shit is because men allow it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
“Close your eyes”
View Quote
My wife does this in the parking garage.  She should do it more often in traffic.

She is often sucking air grabbing shit, etc.  I have to ask her if sucking the air out of the environment is going to help things.

Last two weekends, I made her drive, everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Before I fired her I would ask her if the pedal on her side was working.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Yep.
She panics so much for no reason that I've learned to ignore her.
One day a truck is going to come at us, she'll scream and I'll knee-jerk ignore it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife is the worst driver, I drive 99.9% of the time, she better not say anything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#45]

I don't believe you.
View All Quotes

I don't believe you.

what's difficult to believe? That my husband is considerate or that I'm never late? If it's the latter-I grew up on a farm and am a morning's person. I have never had a problem getting going. It isn't very difficult to plan ahead. I have never been late so considering my husband drives faster than I do-there's really no reason to be late. Y'all are making a big deal about modifying your speed by a few miles an hour so your bride isn't afraid during your trip.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:41:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tangbang] [#46]
My wife is absurdly chill when I am driving, which is 99+% of the time, regardless of which vehicle.  She's often putting on makeup or changing out clothes, etc.  On long drives, she shoves her nose into her phone and ignores me and the road completely.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Nefarious1:
I can barely hear her wailing over my carefully crafted expletives directed at my fellow travelers.  Kind of like noise cancelling headphones but louder.
View Quote

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#49]
In the 40 years I ran around with her, my wife never, and I mean never freaked out about my driving. She hated to drive and was happy I did it. All I ever heard was an occasional " do you have to curse at every other driver on the road?"

Now that I'm widowed, I run around with her widowed sister a bit. It's exactly the same. Except that little sis doesn't mind my cursing - she joins in instead.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Not as bad as OPs, but she gets nervous on the freeway... if she's not got her face buried in her phone.

She's from Brazil and the freeways there are more dangerous than here, so that scares her. If I'm doing 75MPH in a 70 zone, she'll tell me I should go slower. I'm keeping up with traffic around me, and I've done probably a couple hundred thousand miles on freeways, if not a lot more. I just tell her that and that she needs to trust me. I'm glad she doesn't freak out, because like OP, I think I'd have to start reacting like I'm literally about to run someone over.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top