Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2024 12:28:39 PM EDT
VSC

Just bought a 2024 Mazda CX-5. Was offered all the standard crap the finance guy usually does.
One option he gave me: 10 year, 75K mile electronics warranty. $50 deductible ($100 at other dealers) for $4k, $2k, $1500
We will put about 7500 miles a year on this car.

The CX-5 is a premium model so lots of bells and whistles. Any reason to have warranty on these modern cars?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Who is the warranty from?

How much for a bumper-to-bumper on the same timeframe?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
Who is the warranty from?

How much for a bumper-to-bumper on the same timeframe?
View Quote

Prosidum Auto Care
$4k for full coverage

The Mazda warranty is 60mo/60k for powertrain, 3 years bumper but prorates after one year... I'm used to Toyota 3/36 and 60/60.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I would only look at OEM warranty options. Aftermarket companies come and go at an amazing pace.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
I would only look at OEM warranty options. Aftermarket companies come and go at an amazing pace.
View Quote

Also when they offer a year/mileage, that often starts when you buy the car, it doesn't add 10 years and added miles to your 60/60 (in most cases, so don't beat me up if you know one that does)  I'm looking at adding one due to the numerous issues Explorers have, and I've heard good and bad about aftermarket ones like Endurance, Car Shield, Ox Car car, and others. The OEM contracts are better because the dealerships do the work and usually you'll get OEM parts, unlike some aftermarket policies (read them, they'll indicate used or aftermarket parts can be used)
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
View Quote

This.  Third party is too iffy for my liken.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
We deal with them all the time. The small operations are a pain to deal with, National is the big name. The Ford warranty was the best I’ve been around, and it was on a Mercedes. Covered fluids and hardware, that’s rare.

Their job is to take your money then find any possible way to decline coverage. Be prepared. You need a CD player, but the CD player only comes as part of the radio? Darn, looks like that isn’t covered. All. The. Time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:

Prosidum Auto Care
$4k for full coverage

The Mazda warranty is 60mo/60k for powertrain, 3 years bumper but prorates after one year... I'm used to Toyota 3/36 and 60/60.
View Quote

Pass.

If nothing else, use it to talk more money out of the F&I guy. Threatening to leave because they're trying to sell you junk that needs additional warranties can be funny.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
You purchased the ARFCOM highly regarded Mazda CUV.  If I didn't buy one for my maligned Chebby Equinox, surely you don't need one for your Mazda.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve never bought them for my vehicles. I prefer to take the risk of having a major repair. I’m already over $1k in case something comes up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The last new car I bought the finance lady pulled this. Said oh they have lots of electronics you don’t want to get stuck with that bill. I simply replied, is this car so shitty I can expect it to break early and should stop this deal right now? She dropped it real quick.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I've purchased 2 vehicles and gotten the extended warranty and never needed it. Professionally, I deal with the companies on a daily basis. Some of them are great, some of them are horrible. I've seen customers get new engines and only pay their deductible, I've also seen them out of pocket a few thousand dollars. It boils down to the contract you actually sign and the company's willingness to work with shops.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought HondaCare for my Pilot.  $1200 takes the warranty to 8yr/120k.  I thought it was a good deal.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:16:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#13]
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
VSC

Just bought a 2024 Mazda CX-5. Was offered all the standard crap the finance guy usually does.
One option he gave me: 10 year, 75K mile electronics warranty. $50 deductible ($100 at other dealers) for $4k, $2k, $1500
We will put about 7500 miles a year on this car.

The CX-5 is a premium model so lots of bells and whistles. Any reason to have warranty on these modern cars?
View Quote

I had a 2019 cx5 gtr.

I got the 10y/150k mi warranty. Bumper to bumper, via CNA, sold through my dealer. $2400.

During the 2.5y and 80k miles I had it, they replaced 5 folding mirror motors. Like clockwork at 25k mi. I traded at 80k and the 6th was going out.  It was about $400 a pop including labor. Zero charge to me, though, no issue with that. I then got $1300 back for canceling contract early, prorated, upon trade.

I always buy a CNA backed max available coverage. I have 10y/120k mi on my Kia ev6 GT from CNA, as we speak.

Eta: CNA covers everything, including a loaner because mirrors are a safety device. No out of pocket. No nothing. It was the same as the factory bumper to bumper experience, if not better. I will only buy CNA or manufacturer warranty.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#14]
2 more examples this week. We had a guy hit a pot hole, needed new tires, a rim and ball joints. They would only cover $80 for mounting and balancing, impact damage isn't covered on the ball joints, and I still haven't heard if they're covering the rim. He's on the hook for over 70% of the bill.

A lady came in and needs a rack and pinion on an Explorer. Warranty only would cover $100 an hour, but then told me the rack isn't covered she has drive train only. She's on the hook for the whole bill. Probably close to what she paid for the Warranty to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
2 more examples this week. We had a guy hit a pot hole, needed new tires, a rim and ball joints. They would only cover $80 for mounting and balancing, impact damage isn't covered on the ball joints, and I still haven't heard if they're covering the rim. He's on the hook for over 70% of the bill.
View Quote

Should have him contact the road authority to file a claim... especially if it is modot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
I bought HondaCare for my Pilot.  $1200 takes the warranty to 8yr/120k.  I thought it was a good deal.
View Quote

As a Honda tech I can tell you that if you have your pilot serviced at a Honda Dealer  that warrant will save you that much on the first repair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top