Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2024 10:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CZ75_9MM]
Driving down the highway today and hit a huge bump in the highway going about 65-70mph. Then immediately another big bump and I noticed in my rearview mirror my spare tire is following me. I tried to slow down to get it to hit my truck and stop it but it passes me by on the left then goes across the median and onto the other side of the highway then down into a steep ditch full of tall grass and brush.

Glad I was in BFE and no other cars around. Looks like the cable broke that holds the spare up underneath of the truck.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, but hookers in the trunk can be tricky.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
With that horrid Chev cable mount underneath the box (a 2007), I’ve had the opposite problem. Damn thing wouldn’t lower when It needed to and I had to zip disk the cable off to get the spare tire free.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Is OP in the Rust Belt?  How old is the vehicle?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
Is OP in the Rust Belt?  How old is the vehicle?
View Quote
2001 Dodge Ram. In the rust belt.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I lost a spare off my 2001 F250 that way. I remember going down the road and hearing/feeling a loud bump wondering what that was. A couple days later I noticed my spare was gone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:58:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#6]
A runaway spare tire hit a coworkers truck, I-565 Huntsville AL in front of the Space and Rocket Center.  Totaled the truck:

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
View Quote
I figured it was older.

23 years in the rust belt wasn't a bad run.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I lost the spare from under a dodge Dakota a few years back, don’t even know when I lost it . Just looked under there one day and it was gone
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep , lost 2 on 2 different pickups . Both times going over rr tracks at a slower speed . They just dropped flat down and skidded 2-3 feet at most .
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The greatest mistake Humans ever made was giving boomers access to the internet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panzersergeant] [#11]
Had a 2000 Chevy S-10. I was changing the oil one day and noticed the spare tire wasn't there. Cable holding it broke at some point. Don't know where the tire went.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
The greatest mistake Humans ever made was giving boomers access to the internet.
View Quote

And yet ANOTHER Marxist comes out of the closet promoting hate based on age.  What a surprise.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope. I check it every once in a while because it was loose at one point.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The greatest mistake boomers ever made was raising spoiled and smartass kids
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#16]
Originally Posted By Kent:

And yet ANOTHER Marxist comes out of the closet promoting hate based on age.  What a surprise.
View Quote

Boomer isn't an age, but mostly a mindset.  "It was easy for me, so everyone it was hard for must be stupid."

Your 2000 join date only reinforces my point.  I work my ass off for a living, so go sit down and have some pudding.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#18]

Had one under my old 2004 Taco. Toyota used a cable under the bed to cinch it in place. Went to check on it one day and it was gone. The cable was frayed on the end. Have no idea where or when it came off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TechOps] [#19]
View Quote
Really don't understand how your comment has anything to do with this thread.

You really should get a hobby or something, maybe try to touch some grass. I know it's scary, but there's a great big world out there.

I have not lost any spare tires personally, but have had the cable seized before.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:50:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SixSquared] [#20]
I've had part of a leaf spring fall off but never a spare tire thankfully.

"CLANG CLANG CLANG clang...."

Just keep driving.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#21]
My old ranger had a system that hinged down from the frame. Release a bolt and then push down.  The bolt was rusted and the hinge was rusted.  At some point the hinge had rusted through and the tire started to dip forward towards the cab. Someone on the road spotted it and honked and got me to pull over.  The bracket holding the tire was cracked and it was only about 1 inch from making contact with the road.  

Whoever the guy was that stopped me had a breaker bar and we busted the bolt loose and down it came.  I grabbed it, and threw it all into the truck bed.  Gave the dude 10 bucks and told him thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Yup...1994 Chevy Z-71.
Was there for years...

Then one day on the way to work....seemed like a little excessive bump i hit.
Next day it was gone.
Was in a bad area for it to come off...thankfully it was 645am and probably not too many people walking around.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Not a spare tire, but in the past couple days I have seen three F150s with the splash pan or whatever it is called hanging down.  All of them seemed to be very new trucks too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#25]
If you have an older vehicle in the rust belt you should probably check underneath it from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Oldmikey:
I lost the spare from under a dodge Dakota a few years back, don't even know when I lost it . Just looked under there one day and it was gone
View Quote

Might have been stolen while parked.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

How much is your rent?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:17:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#28]
Boomer isn't an age, but mostly a mindset.  "It was easy for me, so everyone it was hard for must be stupid."
Your 2000 join date only reinforces my point.  I work my ass off for a living, so go sit down and have some pudding.
View Quote

"Boomer" is a name for a set of people born in a certain time period.  If you understood English, you might know that.  Instead you get pissy thinking "working for a living" is something unusual and excuses you hating retired people.  
I work full time too, and I'm GenX, so take your boomer-hate attempts at division elsewhere.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Don't be a dick and just go fuck off somewhere else. Christ, we spend time here to get away from people like you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Nope.

But that happened while driving my 86 Accord.

Darn thing was in the trunk, and the trunk was closed, I'll let you figure that one out.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes, right after leaving a tire shop and driving about 150 miles.

Hit a bump on the interstate and the spare fell out the back of my 4 Runner
and skidded along behind us. No one behind us thankfully.

Recovered it with no damage to the $600 wheel, unlike three of the other
four that were scarred by the meth monkey who mounted our tires.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Having decided this, learning to scroll would be key.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Twice, same truck.

I don't remember why, but I looked under my truck and saw that the spare was missing. There was just a little bit of frayed cable on the end of the winch. I replaced the winch and spare tire. A few years later I checked again, and and again, no spare. Just frayed cable.

Spare tire #3 stayed chained to the bed under the camper lid. No idea when or where the first two ended up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I have had a tire fall out of a pickup truck in front of me while doing 70 on the freeway. It bounced up higher than my hood.
Luckily I was able to brake enough that the tire hit the front grill and bumper of my SUV instead of coming through the windshield and killing my wife and I.
The truck didn't stop

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I saw that happen to a friend's 4Runner on the freeway. I was following him in my truck and happened right in front of me.

Tire jumped over the center median and head on into him. I hit a bunch of debris from his vehicle. Was totaled exactly like these pics. Luckily he was ok.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Bullwhip2006:
With that horrid Chev cable mount underneath the box (a 2007), I’ve had the opposite problem. Damn thing wouldn’t lower when It needed to and I had to zip disk the cable off to get the spare tire free.
View Quote

Had the tire fall off from under a suburban and fortunately I was only going 35mph.  I had the use the zip disc to take down the tire crank and replace it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I lower my spare once a year and spray the cable with Boeshield T9.   Hasn't fallen off and truck is pretty old.  Still cranks down easily.

If you never use the mechanism and don't maintain it.... yeah they rust and break.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#39]

That’s nuckin futts
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SixSquared:
I've had part of a leaf spring fall off but never a spare tire thankfully.

"CLANG CLANG CLANG clang...."

Just keep driving.
View Quote

And then somebody else comes along and hits the broken spring, it flies up and goes through the windshield of another car and destroys the drivers face. After reconstruction of the face, that person lives ten years in pain, finally losing the will to live and dying days later. But, yeah, just keep driving.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#41]

let me guess, wheel spacers, and only pussies properly torque lug nuts
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:05:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Sorry I torque spec my spares with a certfied Snap-On and use purple loctite

If I had a spare tire come loose, my truck gun would come in handy

Can never be too sure

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:24:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Oldmikey:
I lost the spare from under a dodge Dakota a few years back, don’t even know when I lost it . Just looked under there one day and it was gone
View Quote

This happened to my S-10 back in the day.  Was looking under the truck and noticed it was gone, just a frayed, rusted through wire was all that was remaining.  Still have no idea where it went.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:32:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't live in the salt belt, so nope. My spare tire winches still work perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:44:08 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Thank you for your intelligent response.We can always count on you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:33:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#46]
Toyota uses a chain now on trucks and SUVs.  The chain itself much less prone to failure but the winch mechanism is known to fail.  The more it is used the more likely it is to lock up.

Rather than get five identical new tires and get into five tire rotations every 5k miles, I just got four for the road and one- the least expensive one offered- for the spare.

One disadvantage of the chain is that I occasionally get to watch it swing around up in front of me all day.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:12:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:

Don't be a dick and just go fuck off somewhere else. Christ, we spend time here to get away from people like you.
View Quote

Replies to a troll are like change to a hobo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Driving down the highway today and hit a huge bump in the highway going about 65-70mph. Then immediately another big bump and I noticed in my rearview mirror my spare tire is following me. I tried to slow down to get it to hit my truck and stop it but it passes me by on the left then goes across the median and onto the other side of the highway then down into a steep ditch full of tall grass and brush.

Glad I was in BFE and no other cars around. Looks like the cable broke that holds the spare up underneath of the truck.
View Quote
Are you deaf or you were just ignoring it rattling and banging around back there before hand? Lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

That'll do it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
If you have an older vehicle in the rust belt you should probably check underneath it from time to time.
View Quote
Negative, ignore that shit. Nothing under there is good news.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top