Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2024 4:15:31 PM EDT
If so, I have a VIN I'd like to PM you. If the deal was more firm, I'd just buck up for one, and I may yet just get a 2-pack if need be. Thx!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By JackalAR:
If so, I have a VIN I'd like to PM you. If the deal was more firm, I'd just buck up for one, and I may yet just get a 2-pack if need be. Thx!
View Quote

I start here for freebie level info.

https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

https://vincheck.info/
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank ya sir.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Picked up a 2-pack, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't get why people waste money or trust those stupid things.

I fixed a lot of cars that people just sold to the body shop/ car lot owner. They didn't want to deal with insurance company or had a high deductible they couldn't pay. Would just sell the vehicle to the shop owner and we would fix it. I know he loved showing idiots the report saying it was never in an accident. The reporting company never knew a thing as it was just sold not reported as in an accident. Not worth your time or the paper they are printed on.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:48:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#5]
But a lot of stuff in carfax reports is useful. No it’s not 100% but I still get a carfax on any used vehicle I buy.

We bought my wife’s Camry brand new. I have done all the service and repairs (not many) in the 7 years we have owned it. I keep a log with all the service and repairs because there is almost nothing on the carfax. That log will be useful to show someone when we sell it in a year or so.

Everyone knows a carfax isn’t 100% but it’s a good guide to the vehicle’s past.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
I don't get why people waste money or trust those stupid things.

I fixed a lot of cars that people just sold to the body shop/ car lot owner. They didn't want to deal with insurance company or had a high deductible they couldn't pay. Would just sell the vehicle to the shop owner and we would fix it. I know he loved showing idiots the report saying it was never in an accident. The reporting company never knew a thing as it was just sold not reported as in an accident. Not worth your time or the paper they are printed on.
View Quote

So what?  A lot of people, I would even venture to say that most people take their vehicles to dealers or mechanics that do report to Carfax or similar.  For every shady shop you have worked for that doesn't report 1 accident, I bet there are over 10,000 vehicles that have been reported/updated.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By H53EXPERT:

So what?  A lot of people, I would even venture to say that most people take their vehicles to dealers or mechanics that do report to Carfax or similar.  For every shady shop you have worked for that doesn't report 1 accident, I bet there are over 10,000 vehicles that have been reported/updated.
View Quote

Carfax is one of the biggest marketing scams ever known to man, made up by a marketing genius with a catchy tune and a cute cartoon character. I have been in the buisness for nearly 20 years, and I have seen a thing or two.  I am redoing a 2019 Equinox front end right now that was bought at an auction with a clean title. As soon as I saw the car I could tell the boss got fucked. Nothing lined up properly and something just didnt look right. I went and looked at the name on the tite, and sure as shit it was a body shop, and they hacked it together enough to take it to the auction so some sucker would buy it. I tok the bumper cover off to see what was going on that the damned bumper was broken right in half where they tried to straighten it, and rather than spend $100 to do it right they just zip tied everything to it and slapped the bumper cover over the top to hide it. Now I have to spend a bunch of time tracking down all the fasteners they tossed in the trash.

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chipper44mag] [#8]
Originally Posted By H53EXPERT:

View Quote

It was a whole lot more then one. Who has time to sit around and send reports to Car farce?  

You know there was a time not to long ago that Car farce didn't exist. WAY to many people think that's those reports are the word of god when it comes to buying a car. All it means is nobody reported anything that Car farce knows of. THAT"S IT. It still could be a POS.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 7:09:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#9]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:

It was a whole lot more then one. Who has time to sit around and send reports to Car farce?  

You know there was a time not to long ago that Car farce didn't exist. WAY to many people think that's those reports are the word of god when it comes to buying a car. All it means is nobody reported anything that Car farce knows of. THAT"S IT. It still could be a POS.
View Quote

So you’ll give up what information Carfax CAN provide because some relevant info might not be there?

That makes no sense.

You are correct that the Carfax report may not (probably doesn’t) capture everything but to give up what it does report on because it “isn’t perfect” is absurd. But, you do whatever makes you happy.

Friend of mine got a smoking deal on a Acura. It needed some work. We did the repairs and he was planning to take it on a trip. He was debating on replacing the timing belt. I ran a Carfax on it and saw the dealer who replaced the belt had reported it to Carfax and it was still before the mileage replacement range. Kinda handy and nice to know some of the service history. And no, our repairs are not logged in Carfax!

Carfax reports are just one thing to look at when deciding to purchase a car. If you buy a used car and rely ONLY on a Carfax report, you are not any brighter than the person who refuses to use Carfax because it’s “not perfect”.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top