Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2019 5:03:17 PM EDT
Going to look at one this week. Case hardened finish, black birds head grip. In 45 Colt. Listed in near perfect condition for $435.

What can you tell me about the gun? How do you like yours? Does that seem like a fair price?

I have never shot a birds head grip revolver, only Blackhawks.

I have it on hold.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It will be OK with mild loads.  Full house .45LC loads will be a handful.

Add a spring kit and done.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will be OK with mild loads.  Full house .45LC loads will be a handful.

Add a spring kit and done.
View Quote
by mild loads do you mean cowboy loads?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one that's a couple years old that's in 44 magnum. What was said above is true. For mild loads it's fine, certainly fine for true 45 colt cowboy action loads. For anything loaded more stout, it's got too small a handle to be able to hold onto it well and it just hurts.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I still own a stainless one in .45ACP and carried it for years as an EDC in the open (1911 magazine as a "speedloader"). I like those little handguns... worth the price in .45 ACP, IMHO. Get a good Tom Threepersons holster and you'll probably like it even more as it is very comfortable to carry. Some like an OWB cross draw holster and use it as a BUG. That Vaquero is now my nightstand handgun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had one since 1999

This was a Davidson's exclusive in the 3.75" and actually came with the standard plow handle grip frame. I changed the frame out a few years later for the bird's head when they became available.
If you're used to magnums, the stouter loads aren't that bad. I load it with silvertips most of the time, just a little stouter than a cowboy load.
Or...

A few years earlier I sent an old 3-screw Blackhawk to Gary Reeder for his Doc Holliday conversion in 45 Colt.
His gunfighter grip frame is a lot more comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top