Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2022 11:41:34 AM EDT
Which one do you have, pros/ cons?

Looking to get one.

We're not interested in the K Cup/ puck ones.

TIA.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Phillips is what we have. Automatic espresso machine. I believe they bought it from Saeco. Good selection of various brews, also streams milk. We use it daily.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
What’s your budget?  Really does matter with espresso machine shopping. There are options in the $300 - $600 range that will make you happy if you’re an occasional drinker, but if you’re super cereal about your espresso you’re not going to be happy unless you spend at least $1000.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm eyeing this one. Anyone have opinions on it ?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099YT9MYG?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Those are two machines.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Jura A1.  The coffee is great, it never misses a beat, cleaning is simple, fast, simple to operate.  No frills, but no headaches either.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looking to get one.

TIA.
View Quote

Define "Good"

We have a Victoria Arduino e1 prima,
Wife uses it to set up little coffee stand things at weekend events.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Breville Barista Express and a Technivorm Moccamaster. They suit my needs just fine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

De’Longhi makes pretty nice machines, from their budget options to their high end units. Aside from the machine, the espresso, grind, portafilter packing and screen all play a part.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Just get a Bialetti moka pot. Not -real- espresso, but makes great coffee.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The Rancilio Sylvia espresso machine is the Glock 19 of the coffee world.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]

I have one of these.  It does absolutely nothing bt make espresso and froth a little milk.  Works good.  $125.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Breville Barista Touch is what I bought my wife. We love it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I like Jura, but I get annoyed it doesn’t get the milk hot enough on cold days if you do a cappuccino
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Several years ago I just got the Breville nespresso maker and imo it’s the best espresso you’re going to find aside from a real deal machine run by someone who actually knows how to make good espresso. Virtually every coffee shop and their “double shots” is making bitter crap. I only drink decaf now anyway and the pods are pretty cheap and delivered quickly, or you get them at bed bath beyond. If I want fresh ground coffee i just use my percolator.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:Jura A1.  The coffee is great, it never misses a beat, cleaning is simple, fast, simple to operate.  No frills, but no headaches either.
View Quote

I have the Jura D6. It makes me sad to think of all the years I wasted drinking Keurig cups
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Another vote for Rancillio Sylvia, still made in Italy, and a REALLY  damn fine machine.
You WILL need a Burr Grinder to make espresso.
I use a Rancilio Rocky, have two in daily  service and both grinders are holding up well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think I'd like the grinder integrated with the espresso machine in case one or the other broke. Also don't go too cheap on the grinder.

I had a 1st gen  Wega mini nova and rancillo Rocky grinder. I loved this set up. Brew, steam, hot water all at the same time. Controll over the steam and it was plumbed in.  The vibratory pumps are noisy tho if that's an issue.

Replaced the Wega with a Breville after too many repairs kept mounting (10 years i think).  The rancillo grinder is awesome and is still going strong16 years of daily use. Having only to replace the burrs a few times.

The breville is ok but to make 2 drinks in the morning  is a slow process as everything is done in sequence.  And i find the espresso temperature a touch on the cold side. But it's a fine machine for the cost.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Jura S8 here - I never fancied myself a coffee snob but now I can't go back. All other home coffee is inferior. Presently, I'm on a Cuban kick so I get the Cafe Bustelo beans and a special squeezy bottle for the sweetened condensed milk = heaven.

I bought it this time last year from Jura, as a black friday refurb (I think it knocked off close to a grand). They are expensive but, I won't buy anything else going forward - I use it every day.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#19]
$65 amazon basics here.

Edit

looks like the quality took a nose dive with a bunch of crap reviews the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

not a Glock fan boi so I can't comment on that, however, buy once cry once. 12 years old and still going strong
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Jura z7 is what we have. Too expensive, but have quite a few years of service on it.  Just replaced a few spendy parts on it to hopefully keep it running for more years.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#22]
FLAIR 58 AND MANUAL ESPRESSO: Is This My New Daily Driver?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Gaggia “super automatic.” Depends on the type of coffee drinks you like; a more manual of a machine like a Rocky is a better option. Automatics are great for milk-based drinks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Define "Good"

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52117964540_51e3492150_b.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking to get one.

TIA.

Define "Good"

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52117964540_51e3492150_b.jpg

That's a beautiful machine, I'm sure it makes great espresso.

Jura is obviously popular here, I bought a Z10 earlier this year and I've been really happy with it.  I suspect a dedicated machine would edge it out but for the convenience factor, its hard to beat.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Breville Infusor. Works well, not expensive, easy to clean.

Get a decent burr grinder for sure. Breville again, seems to work fine. I've got a cheap digital scale and the little thing that goes on the portafilter so the coffee doesn't spill over when you grind. Kicking Horse beans from BC are pretty good too.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#26]
We have a Breville and it makes a hell of a cup of coffee, think it was around $700.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#27]
You need to decide am I going to drink a lot of milk based drinks. A few, not many.

If you are drinking strictly coffee based drinks a single tank will do well. Some/few then a heat exchange (HX) tank will suffice. Frequent milk based drinks one would be better off buying a duel tank. So will say a HX will do it, and it will but it will add heat up time.

Whichever you choose buy one with a PID, shot timers are nice too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]
We have a Jura (no clue on model) at work.  I love it, and if the plant ever burns down, I'm going to rescue it and tell them it was lost in the fire.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#29]
It’s not the best and it’s automatic, not manual.  We have the Delonghi Magnifica and it has been spectacular.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Looking to get one.

TIA.
View Quote
Asked this a week or so a go. Arf advised me I need a breville barista touch.  

sooooo Sammich maker has $1000 coffee maker inbound.  I don't even drink coffee.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Bezzera Crema

Eureka Mignon Specialita

I've had this pair for a year now, no problems with either. I went with this Bezzera because it's basically a BZ13 which is a tried and true design. Also, because it heats up rather quickly. Most advertise 10-20 minute warm up times, this one is ready in 5-7 min. Routine maintenance is fairly easy to boot. Very happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I think we have settled on a Breville Barista Pro.  So that will be in our near future.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Elektra Semi Automatica, paired with an Elektra grinder is amazing.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#34]
For drip Coffee...the Technivorm Moccamaster 9s what we us...ours is probably 20 years old now.

https://us.moccamaster.com/collections
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#35]
For us poors, is the only sub $200 option a plain old Moka pot?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

im looking at the same one - looks like a good balance of features and cost.  nobody seems to have an opinion tho :-(
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For drip Coffee...the Technivorm Moccamaster 9s what we us...ours is probably 20 years old now.

https://us.moccamaster.com/collections
View Quote

holy shit, the sales vidoes on that site are lame.   "the only brewer on the market with a switch to make a half pot"  - because every other manuf just lets you add half a pot of water and then brew it.  lol

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I use a $50 mr coffee espresso maker from walmart.
I just make iced breves, so really not very picky at all but it makes a decent enough espresso for mixing and steams milk fine if you want that. Might not be quite what you are looking for if you drink straight espresso but I have found the freshness of the beans the grind and how you pack the basket to make more of a difference than any machine.

I know i am a little different than your average arfcommer who needs a larue with thermal 87x scope to shoot holes in paper from a fixed bench and a $6000 full suspension mtb with dropper tube and gps to ride around the block with their kids and a 3k espresso machine to put their month old preground starbucks espresso in.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://secure.img.wfcdn.com/lf/maxsquare/hash/1108/23061408/1/15-Bar-Pump-Coffee-Espresso-Maker.jpg

I have one of these.  It does absolutely nothing bt make espresso and froth a little milk.  Works good.  $125.
View Quote

this is very close to the style mr coffee i have KISS.
The italians swear by the little percolator pots or whatever they are called. If you want the real diesel fuel that's kind of the way to go.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#40]
We have a Breville Pro (non digital). It’s amazing. The only person who runs it is my wife as it is like high precision reloading for coffee.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I still don't really get what all an expensive espresso maker really gets you. Yeah the differences in pressure and temperature all contribute to a perfect or bad extraction but in the end it's just hot water going through ground up beans. Get the beans right and the water can be in a pretty broad spectrum. Of course certain features make a lot more sense in a professional setting but for home use you don't need much.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Miele 6805 built in.  Around $5000
Plumbed, milk, grinds beans fresh.
Makes fantastic coffee drinks, customized to individual users or cup sizes.
All at the touch of a button.

But it's like being in a relationship with a nagging girlfriend.
It constantly nags you to clean it, and if you let it go too long, it refuses to make coffee for you.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We have a Breville Pro (non digital). It’s amazing. The only person who runs it is my wife as it is like high precision reloading for coffee.
View Quote

we have the Breville Barista Pro also.  good machine, great coffee once its dialed in.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Had a Breville. Now have an Ascaso.

If you're not into espresso as a hobby, just get a Breville Barista Express, find some beans you like, and move on with your life. IMO, there's no real reason to spend more than probably $1500 on an espresso machine and grinder unless it's a business or you are into it as a hobby unto itself.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, I've got a Rancilio Classe 5.  It is an extremely good machine, but make sure you get a grinder that is equally good.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Jura S8
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Miele 7845 built in.  Around $5000
Plumbed, milk, grinds beans fresh.
Makes fantastic coffee drinks, customized to individual users or cup sizes.
All at the touch of a button.

But it's like being in a relationship with a nagging girlfriend.
It constantly nags you to clean it, and if you let it go too long, it refuses to make coffee for you.
View Quote

yeah all that sounds awful. I don't want anything to do with cleaning a machine that has milk in it. The auto machines we used to use at the restaurant you had to run chemicals through on a regular basis and they really didn't make a very good cup of joe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

yeah all that sounds awful. I don't want anything to do with cleaning a machine that has milk in it. The auto machines we used to use at the restaurant you had to run chemicals through on a regular basis and they really didn't make a very good cup of joe.
View Quote

Descaling tabs, degreaser tabs, milk pipework cleanser.

You don't have to use the milk cleanser unless you use milk, and it's on about a week schedule if you do.  It reminds you the last three days.

The most annoying is the descaler.
It starts at 50 cups "you have 50 cups remaing before descading."  And it counts down from there.  So you have to hit OK everytime.
Very fucking German
My wife and I drink 5 cups a day, so that thing nags us for 10 days straight.

It should give you a reminder at 50, then shut up until 25, then shut up til 10 and count down from there.
No way I know of to suppress the alerts but I can get in the service menu to reset the counter when the bitch refuses to make me coffee...

It was in the house when we bought it...
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Another vote for Rancillio Sylvia, still made in Italy, and a REALLY  damn fine machine.
You WILL need a Burr Grinder to make espresso.
I use a Rancilio Rocky, have two in daily  service and both grinders are holding up well.
View Quote

My Rocky will be 19 years old in April.

Same steel burrs.

At almost 61, it'll probably outlive me.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#50]
22 year-old La Pavoni Europiccola. It’s entry-level for high-end espresso whereas DeLonghi and Breville are high-end for garbage.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top