Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2024 4:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt_sporter]
I was given this model the other day. I haven’t had a chance to fire it up. I’m curious what model it is so if I need buy spare parts, I can.. Hopefully I won’t, but I know better. I’m not familiar with car models all the that much. Thanks!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like a traxxas Slash.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:10:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#2]
Slash VLX. Get a 2 or 3 cell lipo and let er rip. The drivetrain will last much longer on 2S.

Get aluminum shock caps. Those will pop off eventually.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 2:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Good deal. Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Slash VLX. Get a 2 or 3 cell lipo and let er rip. The drivetrain will last much longer on 2S.

View Quote

On a 2S vs a 3S?  Or LiPo vs NiMH?  Just curious if the NiMH batteries are bad for the drivetrain.

Just got a BL-2S and running NiMH batteries myself.  Haven't ventured into the LiPo world, yet...

@mudholestomper
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:20:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#5]
Originally Posted By billpete:

On a 2S vs a 3S?  Or LiPo vs NiMH?  Just curious if the NiMH batteries are bad for the drivetrain.

Just got a BL-2S and running NiMH batteries myself.  Haven't ventured into the LiPo world, yet...

@mudholestomper
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@mudholestomper

@billpete I was referring to 2 cell vs 3 cell LiPo. I’m not trying to be arrogant, I didn’t realize people even bothered with NiMH batteries anymore (for RC).

I can tell you that the brushless system in that Slash is designed for LiPos. But honestly, just run whatever you’ve got. If you’re having fun and not constantly breaking parts, that’s what matters.

ETA: I realized I didn’t completely answer your question. While the power system is likely rated up to 3S (please do your own research though), 2S is much less stressful on axles and other drivetrain parts.

I got out of the hobby because I was spending so much time wrenching on mine and my boys cars and not enough driving. As an adult, I’d enjoy buying upgrades to lighten the vehicle and strengthen the weaknesses and enjoying the time outside with my kids rather than breaking land speed records.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]

@billpete I was referring to 2 cell vs 3 cell LiPo. I’m not trying to be arrogant, I didn’t realize people even bothered with NiMH batteries anymore (for RC).

I can tell you that the brushless system in that Slash is designed for LiPos. But honestly, just run whatever you’ve got. If you’re having fun and not constantly breaking parts, that’s what matters.

ETA: I realized I didn’t completely answer your question. While the power system is likely rated up to 3S (please do your own research though), 2S is much less stressful on axles and other drivetrain parts.

I got out of the hobby because I was spending so much time wrenching on mine and my boys cars and not enough driving. As an adult, I’d enjoy buying upgrades to lighten the vehicle and strengthen the weaknesses and enjoying the time outside with my kids rather than breaking land speed records.
View Quote

I thought that was what you meant.  Thanks!

I am looking at getting into LiPo batteries, but their charging issues might not be worth what I use the car for, which is just running around, stuff like that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 4:31:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#7]

I am looking at getting into LiPo batteries, but their charging issues might not be worth what I use the car for, which is just running around, stuff like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There’s a lot of drama online about caring for LiPos. It’s almost all nonsense. Buy quality batteries, buy a decent charger, don’t try to charge too fast and always balance charge them. If you’re not going to use them for a while, use the storage charge function. That’s it. If you feel the need, get a fireproof charging bag/container.

I’ve got LiPos with a storage charge that have sat on a shelf in my house for a year or more and were perfectly fine and charged right up.

RC is a blast, there’s lots of rabbit holes that are easy to fall down into! As a single dad trying my best to create memories with my boys, they definitely served their purpose for us.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 4:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#8]

View Quote

Something to consider (if you don't mind some investment) are Spektrums G2 batteries. They automatically self discharge to storage mode when necessary, letting you think much less about the maintenance and hassle of discharging to storage voltage and giving you more fun for your time.

They aren't cheap but I have slowly been converting my RCs over. I actually just swapped a Heli over to them (well I still need to solder a connection).

I find it worth it. A lot of others will probably say a waste of money, but I would rather have both the convenience of NiMH and the power and run time of Lipo together, which comes at a cost.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]

There’s a lot of drama online about caring for LiPos. It’s almost all nonsense. Buy quality batteries, buy a decent charger, don’t try to charge too fast and always balance charge them. If you’re not going to use them for a while, use the storage charge function. That’s it. If you feel the need, get a fireproof charging bag/container.

I’ve got LiPos with a storage charge that have sat on a shelf in my house for a year or more and were perfectly fine and charged right up.

RC is a blast, there’s lots of rabbit holes that are easy to fall down into! As a single dad trying my best to create memories with my boys, they definitely served their purpose for us.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Slash 4wd to be exact. Lots different from the 2wd.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]
4x4 Slash VXL.  

Lipos will make it faster and have longer run time.  Lipos can catch on fire but usually it is due to improper charging or damage.  I've been running lipos for 10+ years and have never had a problem.  Use a good charger, charge at the proper rate, and dispose of damaged batteries.  Mine are stored in an ammo can or a flame resistant lipo bag depending on situation.  Some people charge in those too.  Traxxas batteries and chargers are expensive but they're easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top