BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The point of the dueling scars is that you stood there and took it like a man.

Kharn
View Quote

Yep,  a straight scar shows you stood and took it. A jagged scar shows you flinched, like a wuss.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh.

I was unaware that she liked pointy & sharp things!
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thank you no.  

The students would be drunk, blindfolded and then duel.  Stupid is as stupid does.  That sort of stopped after WW I.

BTW, I've been to Heidelberg.
View Quote

Not blindfolded in Mensur. Perforated steel lens goggles and a high padded collar to protect the jugular.

Drinking sure. There was an elaborate set of drinking and singing games between the clubs. Beer on the front end. Likely schnapps when getting stitched up.

It's a blood sport and right of passage rolled into one. Not much worse than boxing and MMA. I'd rather to have stitches in the face than a broken tibia...

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’ve cut scars into faces before. It’s incredibly difficult to scar a light colored person’s face without actually risking true injury. Darker folks tended to scar better but they were typically more into branding and I never cut or burned a darker person’s face.
View Quote

For Mensur they build a small fire and let it burn out.  After the duel, the now sterile ashes are packed into the wound to make a more pronounced scar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For Mensur they build a small fire and let it burn out.  After the duel, the now sterile ashes are packed into the wound to make a more pronounced scar.
View Quote

Packing a wound like that is what a lot of African tribes did as well to promote scar growth. The problem with doing that on a lighter skinned person is that the ashes will be more apt to leave a mark like a tattoo. Another way to promote scar growth is to know when and how to pick at them. Ideally, you can always get the scab off in one piece, making the mark more likely to keloid evenly.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Huh.

View Quote

She was attacked by a stranger while playing in her own front yard as a child.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
After reading this thread, I am looking down on inkies less now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh.

Must have been a time traveler trying to save us from her future bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What do you do to make a character in a book, movie, cartoon, or game synonymous with the words tough, grizzled, and macho? You give him a conspicuous scar, and even better if it's over the eye or on the face but somehow managed avoiding giving any real injury. Of course they look cool.

In fiction. In reality you probably just look like a guy that got in a bar fight.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't you need to earn the scar in an actual duel?

I bet you would win considering all the times you've crossed swords with other men.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not blindfolded in Mensur. Perforated steel lens goggles and a high padded collar to protect the jugular.

Drinking sure. There was an elaborate set of drinking and singing games between the clubs. Beer on the front end. Likely schnapps when getting stitched up.

It's a blood sport and right of passage rolled into one. Not much worse than boxing and MMA. I'd rather to have stitches in the face than a broken tibia...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you no.  

The students would be drunk, blindfolded and then duel.  Stupid is as stupid does.  That sort of stopped after WW I.

BTW, I've been to Heidelberg.

The old film I saw, the participants did a static (no foot movement) box drill with the (limited) protected gear, until getting hit.  Straight scar, jagged scar, it had nothing to do with “standing there and taking it” vs flinching, it just had to do with the mechanics of the strike.

I can’t lie- the subject of doing it came up more than once, especially after my roommate came back from Tauberbishofsheim, but enough wisdom seeped into my alcohol soaked brain to avoid the stupidity.

Besides - I already have enough facial scars.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got a nice scar on the face from my dermatologist, does that count?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#15]

@Mech2007 is that a character from Winds of War?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Absolutely get one, but get it tattooed on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The old film I saw, the participants did a static (no foot movement) box drill with the (limited) protected gear, until getting hit.  Straight scar, jagged scar, it had nothing to do with “standing there and taking it” vs flinching, it just had to do with the mechanics of the strike.

I can’t lie- the subject of doing it came up more than once, especially after my roommate came back from Tauberbishofsheim, but enough wisdom seeped into my alcohol soaked brain to avoid the stupidity.

View Quote

Yeah, it is basically a tow the line drill with blocking considered poor form... with sharpened shlagers. Not my game. I perfer to fence in the round with blunted weapons. Got scars anyway!
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Packing a wound like that is what a lot of African tribes did as well to promote scar growth. The problem with doing that on a lighter skinned person is that the ashes will be more apt to leave a mark like a tattoo. Another way to promote scar growth is to know when and how to pick at them. Ideally, you can always get the scab off in one piece, making the mark more likely to keloid evenly.
View Quote

Any idea how people get those scars that look like a welding bead?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I bet you would win considering all the times you've crossed swords with other men.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

@Tobysi - Kelly's Heroes.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Colonel Blimp says "Nein"

View Quote
I understood that reference.  

There are easier ways to make friends than by stabbing them in the face.
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) - The Duel

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Rohm crossed swords with plenty of men in his days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
was Skorzeny's from a duel?

how about Rohm's?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80786/Ernst-Roehm-2393575.jpg

Rohm crossed swords with plenty of men in his days.

What you did there...
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, it is basically a tow the line drill with blocking considered poor form... with sharpened shlagers. Not my game. I perfer to fence in the round with blunted weapons. Got scars anyway!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the film I saw, they were parrying, but everybody gets hit eventually, especially when there is a lot of alcohol involved.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

That'll leave a scar.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top