Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2024 10:45:54 AM EDT
Are Scepter 5 gallon water cans worth the money?

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have metal Jerry cans and they have kept gas good for 5 years.

For water it depends on rough your gonna be, if just filled and sitting on a shelf get what ever is cheapest and quality. I have a few of the 6 gallon ones with the tap from Walmart that are several years old
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#2]
VP Racing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using Scepter cans for years. I prefer them. No issues with the water cans, but the fuel can well swell and occasionally seep with large elevation or temperature changes.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Their gas cans are nice, but you need your own spout.  

I really like the 7 gallon Aqua-tainers that Walmart sells.  The cube shape packs well and the spout/tap is integrated into the cap so it is out of the way when not being used.  It will also fit on the top shelf of a refrigerator unlike a 5 gallon jerry can shaped container.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on your use for them. I have a couple to throw in the truck for camping or trips where I think I’ll need to wash up the kids after playing in the woods etc.

They seem very durable and well made. They are my choice if I need to travel with some water and don’t want to worry about them getting banged up in the back of the truck. They are much sturdier than the blue aquatainers you can get at Walmart.
However they are pricey per gallon so they wouldn’t be my first choice for long term bulk water storage at a static location
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve had three of them for about a decade. They’ve see a lot of use. Great water cans.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes.

The little baby 10 liter ones are great for the trunk of the car or a toolbox in the back of a truck.

Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VP Racing.
View Quote

This.

I have both. Scepter is good.  VP cans have a lid with a pipe threaded hole that makes for a versatile feature. Look around and you can get them for about 35 bucks each. Heavy duty as scepter, I'd say but haven't actually done measurements or destruction tests.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#9]
If you like the taste of canteen.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

I have both. Scepter is good.  VP cans have a lid with a pipe threaded hole that makes for a versatile feature. Look around and you can get them for about 35 bucks each. Heavy duty as scepter, I'd say but haven't actually done measurements or destruction tests.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
VP Racing.

This.

If you have a Menards, they sell cans that are VERY similar to the VP cans for cheaper.  Been using them for years to fuel the dirt bikes.  Made in US. Zero complaints.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  I Guess I should have read closer... You were looking for water cans .  In any event, they have red and white and they should still work great for water
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you have a Menards, they sell cans that are VERY similar to the VP cans for cheaper.  Been using them for years to fuel the dirt bikes.  Made in US. Zero complaints.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/331964/1000009715_jpg-3186649.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/331964/1000009717_jpg-3186652.JPG

ETA:  I Guess I should have read closer... You were looking for water cans .  In any event, they have red and white and they should still work great for water
View Quote

I use my blue VP cans for water. Red for gas.

No issues.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#12]
They are nice to have around. The small ones are handy too.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one for water, but you really want the spout that costs darn near as much as the can.

Attachment Attached File

Now I just use the blue cheap 6 gallon ones.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several that I've had for over 20 years that I use for storage and whenever I go camping. No problems with them at all.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends on the condition and price
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#16]
The VP cap I mentioned accepts one of these. You can also get a hose for fuel.

This is a handy setup in camp with the can on its side.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, they are definitely worth buying.

Buy them from LCI, this is the site that the military uses to buy them.  The Scepter 5 gallon water jugs are $32.99 at LCI and I believe that they have free shipping.  I bought five of these from LCI a couple of years ago, they had great service, quick to ship.

https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon-desert-tan.html

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]
In for info.

Edit-  if you can get free shipping that is great.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm always fearful of plastic cans cracking and leaking, even the real good ones.  I like metal cans - NATO preferred.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm always fearful of plastic cans cracking and leaking, even the real good ones.  I like metal cans - NATO preferred.
View Quote

It's not a problem I've seen with Scepter cans. The cap can leak on the fuel can, but not if it isn't being jostled around or if the o-ring is new. The spigot attachment does leak, though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#21]
$5 a can around bragg for the MWC. 100% worth it.

$10 a can for the MFC. Even more well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 20L that sits in the rear-passenger floorboard of the truck for camping.  The only problem is the size makes it too difficult to insulate for cold weather use.  For cold weather, it's MSR Droms or Smartwater bottles dropped inside an IceMule soft-sided cooler.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a 20L that sits in the rear-passenger floorboard of the truck for camping.  The only problem is the size makes it too difficult to insulate for cold weather use.  For cold weather, it's MSR Droms or Smartwater bottles dropped inside an IceMule soft-sided cooler.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

These work pretty good
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Details on this please.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell yeah. I have 4 and 2, 2.5 gallon cans. They work well.

ETA: I use mine for water. I use GELG metal Jerry cans for gas. I keep 50 gallons of that and a VP can for manual transfer. VP says their can is not for long term storage.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
VP Racing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you like the taste of canteen.
View Quote

Might improve the taste depending on the source

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes.

The little baby 10 liter ones are great for the trunk of the car or a toolbox in the back of a truck.

Highly recommend.
View Quote

This I bought 2 when they weren’t so expensive......they weren’t even that bad from U.S. Cav online way back then.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Are the fuel cans made of the same material as the water cans?  Seems like when I find them on sale it’s always a water cans but I want them for diesel storage.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Lowes had them on sale a few years ago. I picked up 8. They are definitely good to go.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought  some battery operated pumps from  amazon for 14 bucks that work well no mods to the cans
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Details on this please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Details on this please.

GI surplus insulated carry bag for 20L MWC

This isn't where I bought them (I honestly don't remember where I did) but they were $20ish bucks NOS. They are heavy and sturdy with a thick masonite base on them.

ETA: Looks like some on ebay at a premium, but if you need just one
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Their gas cans are nice, but you need your own spout.  

I really like the 7 gallon Aqua-tainers that Walmart sells.  The cube shape packs well and the spout/tap is integrated into the cap so it is out of the way when not being used.  It will also fit on the top shelf of a refrigerator unlike a 5 gallon jerry can shaped container.
View Quote

@frankiebagadonuts

I use the spout for the Scepter gas cans but also use the Super Siphon as well and it works great, and is a less expensive alternative.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I think so, my 4 scepter military fuel and 4 scepter military water cans cost me approx $100.00., for all 8.

I prefer the metal nato cans for heavy usage, but scepter for long term , heavy beating, and storage as won’t rust or dent.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think so, my 4 scepter military fuel and 4 scepter military water cans cost me approx $100.00., for all 8.

I prefer the metal nato cans for heavy usage, but scepter for long term , heavy beating, and storage as won’t rust or dent.
View Quote

Are there any metal NATO cans that are safe for potable water?

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#36]
100%. Store water for 30 years. 5 pack

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have steel and scepter cans.  If I fill the scepter when it's cold it will puff out till the sides are round and I've yet to have had one crack
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all should be as they have a liner inside them. Most imports have water only stickers on them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#39]
As far as I know the 10L ones are the same price or more than the 5L ones and carried in less places with less deals on them.

I like the shorties.   If I lived in a desert I’d have the big ones in the car.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Totally worth it.  I bought the same 5 pack and a 2.5 gal.

I have been through all types of water containers for camping and off roading.  The Sceptors cans are the only ones I'd trust not to split open with rough use.  Also my water doesnt taste like plastic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Scepter MWC and Scepter MFC are great, just a bit spendy.  The 2.5gal Scepter MWC is nice as well and a bit easier to work out of.

The black ones will warm water up fairly well for shower if left on the roof rack on a sunny day.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Uline sells a 15 gallon poly jug for $50. Been using them for years in Alaska for water, fuel, etc. You’ll need a bung wrench but they work great and can handle a bunch of abuse.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Buy them from LCI, this is the site that the military uses to buy them.  The Scepter 5 gallon water jugs are $32.99 at LCI and I believe that they have free shipping.  I bought five of these from LCI a couple of years ago, they had great service, quick to ship.

https://www.buylci.com/media/catalog/product/9/0/906396_-_plastic_water_can_5_gallon_2.jpg?quality=80&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=&width=
https://www.buylci.com/media/catalog/product/9/0/906396-opening_1.jpg?quality=80&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=&width=

View Quote

This is the way....
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#44]
My experience is that the USGI water cans, whether from Scepter or LCI are worth the money. They are extremely tough and can take a lot of abuse. I also suspect that the water cans, being plastic, can also hold fuel if you needed it.

The standard can is 5 gallons, but they have made similar 2.5 gallon versions for the civilian market that are equally solid. The cap and footprint are the same, they are just shorter. They cost about the same, so price per gallon is much higher, but I still think having the smaller ones are worth it because they are easier to handle and you don't always need 5 gallons. It may seem like a lot to pay $39 for a 2.5 gallon water can, but when you have to have an utterly reliable and bulletproof water jug, these containers are it. Everyone that was in the military knows that these plastic water jugs get beat to hell for years in the field and are still reliable. You can still have a few other containers to bolster your supply, but having a few of these is solid insurance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I like the ones from Harbor freight. If you cut and remove all of the red pieces from the nozzle it's a great functioning can that doesn't leak and easy to use
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.buylci.com/media/catalog/product/9/0/906396_-_plastic_water_can_5_gallon_2.jpg?quality=80&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=&width=
https://www.buylci.com/media/catalog/product/9/0/906396-opening_1.jpg?quality=80&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=&width=

View Quote

That’s a great deal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#48]
This was written almost 20 years ago.  Except for prices, it's still valid today:

Water Storage Container FAQ V2.5  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#49]
the are very durable IME -- kinda overkill for a lot of applications (the LCI ones listed above)

but IMO -- good to have a few of them readily available
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Are the fuel cans made of the same material as the water cans?  Seems like when I find them on sale it’s always a water cans but I want them for diesel storage.
View Quote

The fuel cans are thicker and heavier than the water cans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top