BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FICO has only been around since 1989. It is designed to keep people in debt. Keep the hamsters in a cage and on that wheel.........

https://www.myfico.com/credit-education-static/images/education/ce_FICO-Score-chart.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We found someone who knows nothing about FICO.  

FICO has only been around since 1989. It is designed to keep people in debt. Keep the hamsters in a cage and on that wheel.........

https://www.myfico.com/credit-education-static/images/education/ce_FICO-Score-chart.png

My FICO was over 750 when I bought my house, and I had never paid any interest.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a house with no credit score.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mild brag.
I am closing in on 60 years old. I have never had an auto loan and I don’t owe money on anything.
I currently drive a 22 F350.

Make good financial decisions throughout your life and you won’t need to worry about what your credit score is.
View Quote

LoL, a lot of loans are good financial decisions
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I remember a time when you turned 16 and got to drive that day.

Now kids are in their 20s with no license.

WTF?

View Quote

A lot of state laws make driving suck until they're 18 or 21, I can't remember the age. My coworkers kid is 16, has his license, and can't have anyone in the car unless one of his parents is in the car, or something stupid like that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you buy a house without a mortgage?  I'm ready to learn if you'll share your secret.
View Quote

1. Obtain land.  Make certain you do this first (HAVE YOUR NAME ON THE DEED).  Getting a verbal agreement with a relative for them to sell you the land after you get the house built and your finances recover from the strain of building the house, so you can spend your money on getting the house built and move in, is an easy way to lose the house.  Of course, learning that expensive lesson the hard way comes with a silver lining of not having a mortgage to pay off on the house you just lost, because the bank wasn't going to give you a mortgage to build a house on land you don't own.  Once you have learned this lesson, or skipped it and went straight to obtaining land first, look for a bargain that you pay for without taking out a loan.  In my case, I managed a mixture of cash and barter (built a barn for the seller) to buy land that the seller had bought decades earlier to build a house on, never got around to building a house, then decided they were getting too old to start building a house, so they had some land that was mainly a tax liability for them.

2. Decide what you NEED in a house.  If there are only going to be two people living in it, it doesn't need five bedrooms and four bathrooms.  Two people can easily live in a house that is just under 1,000 square feet.  They may have to limit their hobbies a bit until a detached garage or hobby shed can be built at some point in the future, but that is fine, since that means the hobby budget can be applied to the house construction for a while.

3. Prep the site.  Don't go paying some contractor to do this, because he likely has a family to support and will need to make enough money off you to support that family for at least a little while.  A shovel and axe don't require a user's manual and are cheap to buy.  Get to work.  If you think your time is too valuable, buy a chainsaw and rent some of the smaller equipment to move dirt on a weekend.

4. Put in a foundation.  Again, contractors have families to support.  If you have relatives or good friends living nearby, you may be able to get some 'free' labor at the expense of some beer and burgers (just don't get too crazy with the beer, or there's no telling what the foundation will look like).

5. Build the house on the foundation.  This gets a bit tricky, as you want to get a roof on it as soon as possible, so you don't have to worry about tarps blowing off in a storm and everything getting wet.  Crews throwing up houses in a new subdivision are doing it quick enough that they aren't going to be worrying about this as much as you are, since you will be building at a much slower pace, buying materials when you can afford them, and working on the house when you have the time.  Plumbing and wiring can also be problematic, especially if you live in an area where the permit office gets bent out of shape over such things.  You may have to hire someone to do the wiring and plumbing, if you don't happen to have those professions among your relatives or friends that can be bribed with beer and burgers.

6. Move into your new house.

I cheated and maxed out two credit cards buying materials toward the end, because I needed to get done and move into it.  The credit cards were paid off within a year of moving in.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
lol

If you can’t buy it outright, you can’t afford it
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top