Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/7/2024 1:20:23 PM EDT
Do we really need $1M in retirement savings? Not even close, one top economist says

If you want to retire in comfort, investment firms and news headlines tell us, you may need a million dollars in the bank.

Or maybe not. One prominent economist says you can retire for a lot less: $50,000 to $100,000 in total savings. He points to the experiences of actual retirees as evidence.
View Quote

The economy is great! Put your money into expensive car payments and luxury vacations! You don't need to worry about that IRA, because all you need is $50k!

.. I think that "top economist" must be a crack buddy of Hunter's.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you make 7% on that 50k thats $291 a month. I call that a good start but nowhere near adequate.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You can afford to save $50k in this economy? Must be nice.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tveddy:
If you make 7% on that 50k thats $291 a month. I call that a good start but nowhere near adequate.
View Quote
I think i spend more than that a week on tacos and alcohol.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't want to leave any generational wealth and have a terminal disease that will end you in six months, but that's not a plan I want.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#5]
As soon as I saw that I told my boss I was done.   Looking forward to travelling the world on my 50grand savings.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
if you're fine living in a van....
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imq707s] [#7]
I bet you would be shocked at the amount of people who retire with much less than $50K in the bank....and they seem to get by.  I'm assuming SS and government benefits keep them afloat somehow.

I've seen plenty of grown adults here on ARFCOM talking about putting guns on layaway until they can afford them.  Let that sink in......
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
God damn. I've got that much in one of my bank accounts.  I'm going to tell my boss I'm retired when I get back home tomorrow, and I ain't even 50 years old.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Yikes
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By imq707s:
I bet you would be shocked at the amount of people who retire with much less than $50K in the bank....and they seem to get by.  I'm assuming SS and government benefits keep them afloat somehow.
View Quote

Well, $50k total savings, is different than $50k in the bank, and pension/ss/retirements.

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Article seems big on subjective "doing fine," but really light on objective number crunching.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Cat food salesman?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't see how that's possible. Maybe if you were using that small of an amount to augment pensions, inheritances, continued part time employment in your retirement years, etc
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL. That 50 will run out fast, especially for a homeowner.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice! 8 years into my career and I'm almost there in the main savings account! I'll be able to retire before 35!
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Article relies on transfer payments and dodges important questions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Shit, I have over $300k in my TSP. That with my VA Disability and Army Retiremnt, I'm part of the 0.1%. Bunch of poors in here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#18]
All you guys already know there’s a lot of retired people who live on nothing but social security, and MAYBE have a paid off house to help that money stretch. Maybe. That’s probably what this author is referencing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
LOL. That 50 will run out fast, especially for a homeowner.
View Quote
Hey, that new a/c will run ya... Let's do the math here... 31% of your total savings. Congrats on having almost $30k left over for other stuff!
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]
See, it’s not that bad.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:55:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Butternut] [#21]
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
I don't see how that's possible. Maybe if you were using that small of an amount to augment pensions, inheritances, continued part time employment in your retirement years, etc
View Quote

and food stamps, energy assistance,  EBT, govt phone, beg money from family etc.

This was going to be my father but he died  just as the little he had in the bank was running out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Lmao I still cant retire
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ChuckcJax:
As soon as I saw that I told my boss I was done.   Looking forward to travelling the world on my 50grand savings.
View Quote

Traveling gets old like just about anything else.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MikeMilligan:
All you guys already know there’s a lot of retired people who live on nothing but social security, and MAYBE have a paid off house to help that money stretch. Maybe. That’s probably what this author is referencing.
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd rather get financial advise from GD long before I got it from MSN.

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I'm fucked. I only have $49,999.99.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

It's the clickbaity nature of the assertion that you can retire on $50k...conveniently leaving out all of those other things.

Yes, I'm sure there are tons of people who retire on less than $50k in savings but have other assets and sources of income to sustain themselves.

Take a 65 year old with absolutely nothing but $50k and see if he can retire on it.  He can't.

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
You can afford to save $50k in this economy? Must be nice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I see lots of old folks with under the table side hustles.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#31]
View Quote

Author probably "forgot to mention" the subsidies like housing assistance, medicaid, and ebt....

Those retirees who only get SS probably have more than $50k in iras.

I think the article is misleading.   I have $7200 in Savings until Monday......
A lot more in investments/retirement funds.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like I’m retiring on Monday then.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Shiiit Im rich! Selling my house and my land, just gonna travel around
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:21:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#34]
I'm going to leave the country.  

Going to throw away any and all documentation and then come back in through the southern border as an illegal immigrant. My name will be Julio Ocasio-Florez.  I will be a migrant engineer/pilot looking for work. I will fly whatever cargo you want me to fly to anywhere you want.

Just don't pay me in US dollars, I want gold - like senator menendez of nj.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#35]
The vast majority of retired folks live on SS. In that regard you need zero savings.

Max SS benefits are deece all things considered. $7,600/mo for two adults.

Thats pretty damn good. You get 7600/mo plus 50k in the bank? Youll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Everyone agrees that you can retire with very little in investments.  The question is should you?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Max SS benefits are deece all things considered. $7,600/mo for two adults.
View Quote
That is assuming both spouses worked their entire life (ie like 50 years) having the maximum amount of SS tax extracted from their paychecks during that time.

Highly unlikely for people making that kind of money - it would be hard to imagine someone who made that much and has zero in a 401K and/or a nice pension.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#38]
“We’re goldfish, Daniel.”
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#39]
View Quote

Yes. I have done work for them in their homes. I know a few people like this also.
They sit there and watch reruns on antenna TV, have lap blankets near their 35 year old furniture because every year that goes by with the costs of everything, they crank it down one more degree. They don't travel and once a month, have enough $ for one Friday Night fish fry, 2 old fashioneds each and a dollar tip.

I'm not living like that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#40]
You could probably make it work in Sri Lanka or Turkey
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Count me in as one of those rich thousandaires.

I'll see y'all on the French Riveria.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#42]
My wifes grandparents are burning $11k, each, a month in a nursing home right now. Fortunately they bought this kind of cadillac long term care insurance in the 80's that nobody sells anymore that pays like 95% of it.

I guess you could live on $50k, in a box, with dementia and coated in your own shit while ultimately being stabbed to death by a hobo for your shoes.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By IceChimp:
My wifes grandparents are burning $11k, each, a month in a nursing home right now. Fortunately they bought this kind of cadillac long term care insurance in the 80's that nobody sells anymore that pays like 95% of it.

I guess you could live on $50k, in a box, with dementia and coated in your own shit while ultimately being stabbed to death by a hobo for your shoes.
View Quote

Well........when you say it like that, it doesn't sound much like a sweet deal......

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#45]
$50K will definitely support retirement.

Just plan on being dead about 6 months after you retire and the numbers pencil out fine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Lorax:

Yes. I have done work for them in their homes. I know a few people like this also.
They sit there and watch reruns on antenna TV, have lap blankets near their 35 year old furniture because every year that goes by with the costs of everything, they crank it down one more degree. They don't travel and once a month, have enough $ for one Friday Night fish fry, 2 old fashioneds each and a dollar tip.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lorax:
All you guys already know there's a lot of retired people who live on nothing but social security, and MAYBE have a paid off house to help that money stretch. Maybe. That's probably what this author is referencing.

At first I was thinking how depressing that sounds

Then I realized that no matter how shitty that existence seems to me, those poor geezers still have it better than almost anyone else for all of human history, at least from a material comforts standpoint.

Weird.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#47]
My MIL has done that.  Well under $50k in the bank, small school teacher pension and SS.  That's it.  She manages her money very well.  Her car is paid off, she does have a small mortgage on a small home.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#48]
I think I spent about $300/mo in the phillippines and even less in Paraguay.   I think you could narrowly live off the interest of 50k like that while drawing it down a little.

You could live quite well in either if you shack up with a local who can fix you up in a hut so you're not paying gringo rent.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife just said she wants me to hang it up Dec. 2026, kick off the New Year in '27 being retired.  Thanks to the house getting paid off in Feb, (15 years early )  We have bumped up our monthly savings deposit to $6K per month, it is adding up quick.  I have a 401K that is in the lower 6 figures that I don't even count, I try to forget it is there.

After some number crunching, my monthly take home with retirement, VA and that sweet, sweet SS, I will be at $9K a month.  Once my wife's SS kicks in, it will put us over $10K a month.  I know that is far below ARF standards but we have no bills and pay no taxes so I think we will be good to go.

If we cant survive on that, might as well throw the towel in.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#50]
This man has great advice for those beginning an austere retirement...

My Shelter - 1st Winter in the Woods
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top