Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2024 6:38:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker]
My wife has gotten into gardening in the last couple of years but our growing season is too short for melons. As our 33rd anniversary approached I started pricing greenhouses to surprise her with. I settled on an 8x10 Cedar unit made by Yardistry that was 2k through Costco. Seems to be a sturdy little unit and was fairly easy to assemble. The wife is really excited to hopefully get some melons this year.

While leveling some of the site I unearthed this old chisel. Any thoughts on how old it might be?

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Like 👍
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics of wife's melons not loading
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife bought one on sale for about 1300. Haven't assembled it yet, my concern is storms in N. Tx and having it blow away...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#4]
Keep an eye on the summer temperatures if you keep anything in there during the warm months. We need a ton of ventilation in the summer in Texas.

I'd also look at keeping it screened. Anywhere bugs can get in, screen it. They will get in regardless, but you just opened a Golden Corral Buffet, no reason to roll out the red carpet for them.

There's a fiber tape that goes on the end pieces of the twin wall polycarbonate. I don't know if it came with your kit. Not critical for summer, more important in winter when you're trying to keep it warm.

Edit: I have 17 commercial greenhouses, I probably run things a  bit tighter than your average hobbyist.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaymac426:
Wife bought one on sale for about 1300. Haven't assembled it yet, my concern is storms in N. Tx and having it blow away...
View Quote

I sunk 8 post anchors in 18" of concrete and used pressure treated 4x4s as a foundation. The greenhouse is anchored to the 4x4s with 20 lag bolts. It's not going to withstand a tornado but it should stand up to our constant Nevada winds.

eta - If you bought the Yardistry kit you probably won't have enough silicone to seal the windows. My 8x10 unit came with 5 tubes and it wasn't enough to seal everything on the outside. I will need at least another 6 tubes to finish the job since the inside of the windows need sealant also.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bondo:
View Quote

Should have been 1st post.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Keep an eye on the summer temperatures if you keep anything in there during the warm months. We need a ton of ventilation in the summer in Texas.

I'd also look at keeping it screened. Anywhere bugs can get in, screen it. They will get in regardless, but you just opened a Golden Corral Buffet, no reason to roll out the red carpet for them.

There's a fiber tape that goes on the end pieces of the twin wall polycarbonate. I don't know if it came with your kit. Not critical for summer, more important in winter when you're trying to keep it warm.

Edit: I have 17 commercial greenhouses, I probably run things a  bit tighter than your average hobbyist.
View Quote

Yes the kit came with two types of tape. One type was for the top of the PC window the other was for the bottom. I thought it was to keep dust out of the windows. Interesting to learn it's for heat retention.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm starting to see the crickets here.They're pretty small yet , but lots of them.    

Looks good and hopefully it helps with those melons.  

I just burned the weeds and grass off my plot.

I've gotten to where I wait till June 1st to plant having been frozen out a few times.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By smashedminer:
I'm starting to see the crickets here.They're pretty small yet , but lots of them.    

Looks good and hopefully it helps with those melons.  

I just burned the weeds and grass off my plot.

I've gotten to where I wait till June 1st to plant having been frozen out a few times.
View Quote

Same here nothing gets planted outside until after Memorial Day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I love this place. Never change GD!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks good!

What do you guys grow?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm pretty sure that is the chisel Noah dropped while working on the Ark.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting, a greenhouse is on my short list of yard projects.    

Still too early to plant here, had 2-3 inches of snow yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Corn, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, hot peppers, peas, green beans, lettuce and a bunch of different spices. She grew watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew but we had a Sept. freeze and none of then melons reached maturity.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Your1Savior] [#16]
Looks awesome.  I've been looking at this same greenhouse at Costco.  Did you not do a foundation?

Edit:  nevermind, answered in other post
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Like 👍
View Quote

+1
Especially that roof vent
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fisherman:

+1
Especially that roof vent
View Quote

There is another on the opposite side. Both have an automatic operating setup that dictates the temps they open/close at.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#20]
That’s very nice, good job. What strain of reefer you be growing?

I’ve always wanted to get into growing things like garlic and veggies, but I’m lazy AF.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Growing at Home
Adults 21 years and older can legally grow cannabis plants at home for their personal consumption, but only if there is not a state-licensed retail cannabis store within 25 miles of the home.

The following rules apply:

Up to 6 plants per person, but no more than 12 plants per household
Plants must be grown within a closet, room, greenhouse, or other enclosed area that is equipped with a lock or other security device
Plants must not be visible from a public place
The grower must own the property or have the permission of the legal owner
View Quote

Congrats on the state park in your back yard. I guess.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Very nice. I helped the boss assemble this one at work. I don't know how much he paid for it but it wasn't very sturdy. Yours looks like it's much better quality.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
That’s very nice, good job. What strain of reefer you be growing?

I’ve always wanted to get into growing things like garlic and veggies, but I’m lazy AF.
View Quote

Originally Posted By terryj:

Congrats on the state park in your back yard. I guess.
View Quote

None of the devils lettuce for me. I work for a govt. contractor so popping hot ends my employment but I wouldn't smoke even if it was legal for me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Torqued:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torqued:

SPNI

Very cool OP!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

I sunk 8 post anchors in 18" of concrete and used pressure treated 4x4s as a foundation. The green house is anchored to the 4x4s with 20 lag bolts. It's not going to withstand a tornado but it should stand up to our constant Nevada winds.

eta - If you bought the Yardistry kit you probably won't have enough silicone to seal the windows. My 8x10 unit came with 5 tubes and it wasn't enough to seal everything on the outside. I will need at least another 6 tubes to finish the job since the inside of the windows need sealant also.
View Quote
It is the Yardistry, I'm thinking pavers and 4x4s. Any measurements for the lazy guy? Its accumulating tools etc. on top of the boxes...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:48:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#26]
looks closer to tan than green

Now that that's out of the way; very cool!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#29]
i bought the slightly smaller version for my girlfriend. they are surprisingly sturdy. putting the tape on the windows is a bitch
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks nice!

It would be cool if you turned that chisel into some kind of custom gardening tool. Just sayin...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Good stuff

They have wax pistons that open windows for venting when the temp gets too high. Never used one personally, but seems like a good idea

Unless you want to keep her busy thinking about if she should open or close windows to save her babies
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:25:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Greenhouse

One word.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#33]
Originally Posted By jaymac426:
It is the Yardistry, I'm thinking pavers and 4x4s. Any measurements for the lazy guy? Its accumulating tools etc. on top of the boxes...
View Quote

I didn't want to open any of the boxes until I was ready to assemble either. There are a shitload of parts and hardware to lose. If you go to the Costco web page for your greenhouse there is link for Manuals and Guides. There will be a downloadable  PDF of the assembly instructions. I read through the instructions to get the base dimensions for my foundation. All but about 20 screws were Robertson and they provide you the correct size driver. I was able to assemble everything with it but an extra bit would have been nice as it was pretty wipe by the end. The other bit I needed was a #3 Phillips to drive some 5" screws. My Dewalt 20VMax handled all the screws with ease but you have to go easy because the cedar hardness varies throughout. Also a 1/4 hex drive extention was needed a few times.

Even though they say everthing is pre-drilled you will probably want some small drill bits to drill pilot and through holes for some of the assembly. There were a few places where the fastener landed on a knot and it was nessasay to relocate the hole. The instructions are pretty detailed but assembly is NOT sailor proof! It is very easy to assemble things backwards. Go slow and look over everything twice before you commit. All of the wood parts are stamped with ID #s, they will be marked 15XX or 11XX. We laid them out by size and shape with the #s together for quick location.

The manufacturer claim 10-12 hours for assembly, if you did it regularly I could  see that being true. Figure three 8 hr days for assembly to do things properly with a helper. We assembled all the walls in my shop and walked them to the site. They are not heavy and two people moved them easily but you will need calm winds.

Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
I dig the greenhouse! I need one, gonna paint it?
View Quote

It came stained so we will stick with that and re-stain once a year.

Originally Posted By djkest:
Greenhouse

One word.
View Quote

Thanks for the spelling lesson we are all smarter for your input.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#34]
“Wife bought one on sale for about 1300. Haven't assembled it yet, my concern is storms in N. Tx and having it blow away...”

The wind will pick them up and relocate them
So you need to get some deep stakes or the big screw in anchors for it

I have one that is 15 feet away from the vent of my natural gas furnace
So I put a pipe from the vent to the greenhouse for extra heating and CO2 in the winter

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Very nicely done.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#36]
That chisel looks like something the Templar's would use...sometime around 1200 AD.  I'm not an archaeologist, I just watch them on TV.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#37]
We just stick-framed ours...

Probably wouldn't go this route again.  For us a hoop house or two would be just a good and a lot easier and cheaper to construct.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#38]
My wife has gotten into gardening in the last couple of years but our growing season is too short for melons. As our 33rd anniversary approached I started pricing green houses to surprise her with. I settled on an 8x10 Cedar unit made by Yardistry that was 2k through Costco. Seems to be a sturdy little unit and was fairly easy to assemble. The wife is really excited to hopefully get some melons this year.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/1000001575-3200645.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/1000001576-3200646.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/1000001577-3200649.jpg

While leveling some of the site I unearthed this old chisel. Any thoughts on how old it might be?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/1000001574-3200642.jpg
View Quote

I know colorblindness is more prevelant in men...but bro, that's not a green house.  It's mostly brown.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RECONSIX:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RECONSIX:

My wife thought it was funny too but gave me the "don't even think about posting my melons online" look when I started scrolling through my photos.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Here are some shots of how I did my foundation. The clips visible are 4x4 post mounts set in concrete with pressure treated lumber forming a base for the greenhouse.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#42]
looks great OP. Good job
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell yeah

Did ours on a 2x6 framed floor, 3/4” osb, $.99 homedepot laminate floor

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Yes the kit came with two types of tape. One type was for the top of the PC window the other was for the bottom. I thought it was to keep dust out of the windows. Interesting to learn it's for heat retention.
View Quote

It does that too, but you want that air cushion to stay contained.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Same here nothing gets planted outside until after Memorial Day.
View Quote

It's funny we live in the same state.
I'll plant stuff in february with the hopes of it being done before it gets cooked and often be putting it next to something i put in in the fall that is still going.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Wife started looking at those, good info on the quality.  I was expecting absolute garbage, so started looking at more industrial type greenhouses.

Will have to reconsider my reconsidering.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks a lot like mine hers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By fish223:
Mine has been asking for that same one for next growing season.
I've had good experiences with Yardistry products, we have one of the giant pavillions and it has held up very well for almost 8 years now, looks and feels as solid today as it did on day one, and the wood shows surprisingly little weather changes.
View Quote

Costo has it in stock for 1999.00 as of this morning. Amazon had two smaller Yardistry units that I was looking at, one for 2100.00 and one for 2900.00. I googled Yardistry greenhouse and the Costo version popped up. It was larger than both of the Amazon units and a better value. I purchased a Costco membership just so I could buy the greenhouse.

Originally Posted By Obo2:

I'll plant stuff in february with the hopes of it being done before it gets cooked and often be putting it next to something i put in in the fall that is still going.
View Quote

I live at 6k feet you're at 2k. It makes a big difference.

I got things cleaned up and looking nice again.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -daddy] [#50]

Costo has it in stock for 1999.00 as of this morning. Amazon had two smaller Yardistry units that I was looking at, one for 2100.00 and one for 2900.00. I googled Yardistry greenhouse and the Costo version popped up. It was larger than both of the Amazon units and a better value. I purchased a Costco membership just so I could buy the greenhouse.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/1000001583-3201368.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fish223:
Mine has been asking for that same one for next growing season.
I've had good experiences with Yardistry products, we have one of the giant pavillions and it has held up very well for almost 8 years now, looks and feels as solid today as it did on day one, and the wood shows surprisingly little weather changes.

Originally Posted By Obo2:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/1000001583-3201368.jpg

While they are aesthetically pleasing I'll stick to hoop houses. That's insane. With that out of the way, anything that gets people into gardening and their hands in the dirt is good in my book.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top