Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2020 2:08:57 PM EDT
I didn't want to derail the thread about U.K. soldiers with M16's.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Great-Britains-use-of-the-M16/5-2314933/

But I watched Danger Close on Prime.  The movie gave the impression that The Aussies could opt. for a M16 instead of a SLR?

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You saw the Australians carry a mixture of weapons: SLR, XM16E1 / M16A1, M60 and the Owen Subgun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The "Bitch" was a full auto chopped SLR.

The movie The Odd Angry Shot follows Aussie SAS in 'nam, using M16s and SLRs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The Aussies we met up with in VN had FALs sure wanted to trade for our M-16s.
I got to play with the FAL and liked it as I qualified with M-14 in basic...and got to handle G3s when I was attached to a unit working with the German Army.
Carrying any of those down in the delta would have been burdensome to say the least...
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My friend’s FIL was a 60 gunner in Vietnam, they were near an Aussie base and hung out with them occasionally. He got to try an SLR, he loved it (he’s a gun guy) and he said he liked their beer a lot too!
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a picture from teh Aussie war museum.  The caption seems to indicate that Aussie SAS used these in 1971

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]
SASR were symbiotic with USSF in Nam and for the most part carried US weaponry.  Aussie, Kiwi, and even Brit SOF has always had a penchant for ARs, largely due to the ability to carry more ammo. Even today when the Aussies carry AUGs the SASR prefer M4s. I think the FAL/M16 ratio in Aussie INF SQDs back in Nam depended on what position a squaddy was assigned.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Aussie Bi#%h gun.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]
More SAS with M16's.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I wonder what the backstory is on that shot. Notice the US “Hot-A” ration can off to the left.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#10]
What about an Estonian soldier in the Australian army in Vietnam with an M-16?

His name was Leo Jaago and he fought the Russians in the 20th SS,fled west,was captured by the Brits and stayed in the UK to be a farm labourer. He joined the British army and missed Korea but went and fought Commies in Malaysia and Borneo then to kill a few more joined the Australian army to go to Vietnam. Not all heros wear capes.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

His name was Leo Jaago and he fought the Russians in the 20th SS,fled west,was captured by the Brits and stayed in the UK to be a farm labourer. He joined the British army and missed Korea but went and fought Commies in Malaysia and Borneo then to kill a few more joined the Australian army to go to Vietnam. Not all heros wear capes.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56204/unnamed_jpg-1354209.JPG

View Quote

That's pretty cool.

Oh an in before GD Derp and SS NAzi etc etc etc
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's pretty cool.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty cool.

Google “Larry Thorne.” Almost identical story but Finnish soldier who made his way to the Americans. KIA in Laos.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Google “Larry Thorne.” Almost identical story but Finnish soldier who made his way to the Americans. KIA in Laos.
View Quote

I knew about it him. Sabaton has a really good song about him too
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wonder what the backstory is on that shot. Notice the US "Hot-A" ration can off to the left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wonder what the backstory is on that shot. Notice the US "Hot-A" ration can off to the left.
I know that SAS worked closely with LRRP's and SF...maybe working out of the same base?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is really cool.  Thanks for sharing!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Foreigners who volunteered for Vietnam” would be an interesting thread to keep going. I know there were several Canadians, a few Brits(One who also served in Rhodesia and was killed in 9/11), and there had to be quite a few more from other countries. When SF stood up in the 50s they recruited heavily from Eastern European countries. Many wound up in SE Asia.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

There were several other Finns and Estonians who served in Special Forces in Laos with Torni such as Aito Keravuori and Jyri Laats respectively.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Redgum - I Was Only 19 (1983)
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There were several other Finns and Estonians who served in Special Forces in Laos with Torni such as Aito Keravuori and Jyri Laats respectively.
View Quote

I had a Romanian SGM when I was at SWTG and we had a Hungarian plankholder in the 75th who'd been in the LRRPs and early Ranger Co's. Both Nam guys who'd escaped the Iron Curtain.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 3:35:21 AM EDT
[#20]
IIRC it was dependant on your position within the platoon/company.  

Unfortunately all the Vietnam vets I knew personally are all dead, mainly from cancer
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:02:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Father in law was a signaler in Vietnam.

From what he says M16's were for officers, infantry scouts and signalers, if they chose to use one.

They could carry the SLR instead if they wanted to.
He always chose the SLR he tells me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had a Romanian SGM when I was at SWTG and we had a Hungarian plankholder in the 75th who'd been in the LRRPs and early Ranger Co's. Both Nam guys who'd escaped the Iron Curtain.
View Quote

Makes you wonder what they did before that?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Father in law was a signaler in Vietnam.

From what he says M16's were for officers, infantry scouts and signalers, if they chose to use one.

They could carry the SLR instead if they wanted to.
He always chose the SLR he tells me.
View Quote

That's pretty cool. Did he see the movie yet?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

E Troop, 2 Squadron, SASR. Nui Dat, RVN. Date unknown, late 60's.

Note US-type Tiger Stripes, EDRL-pattern jungles, M16 and SLR(FAL).
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:29:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's pretty cool. Did he see the movie yet?
View Quote

No he would not have.
He doesn't watch anything like that.

Truth be told it is not a strictly accurate portrayal of the Long Tan battle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

10th group had a ton of DPs that were brought in under the Lodge act.   Also, fwiw the SAS guys I worked with in AFG were carrying M4s with 10.5 bbls.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No he would not have.

View Quote

I liked the movie Danger Close but I think I enjoyed the documentary with the interviews and actual radio recordings even more.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No he would not have.

View Quote

I didnt figure it was all that accurate as most aren't. the ending was really good though as was the Blonde singer!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I liked the movie Danger Close but I think I enjoyed the documentary with the interviews and actual radio recordings even more.
View Quote

@Roddy556that   Is that documentary on youtube? I would love to watch it
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Battle of Long Tan Documentary - Vietnam War - Danger Close

I liked Danger Close, but also enjoyed the doc even more.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

“Foreigners who volunteered for Vietnam” would be an interesting thread to keep going. I know there were several Canadians, a few Brits(One who also served in Rhodesia and was killed in 9/11), and there had to be quite a few more from other countries. When SF stood up in the 50s they recruited heavily from Eastern European countries. Many wound up in SE Asia.
View Quote

Rick Rescorla
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Rescorla's the most famous. It's been somewhat of an issue tracking down actual Brits who served over there under the US flag, especially the KIAs. They aren't recognized in US records by any foreign citizen status.

Most Brits in Nam transferred into the AUS or NZ Army from the UK Forces. After the Malaysian Emergency wound down in '60 a few SAS Troopers transferred over to SASR once Vietnam started heating up. Other than Rescorla, Tom Abraham of Yorkshire was a dual US/Brit who was a PLT leader in 7th CAV and L/CPL Stuart Wood of Staffordshire(?), joined USMC while a legal US resident are known UK citizens who fought under the US Flag. Wood was KIA in '68, AFAIK Abraham is still alive and back in England. There's been rumors over the years that SAS Malaysia vets did train USSF and MACVSOG on the ground in SE Asia but that's never been proven. They DID train SF stateside as the war heated up.

Interestingly enough, there are more Irish citizens(Republic of, not Northern) known to have fought in Vietnam than Brits. There are around 25 on record and about the same amount who fought for Australia. At least one KIA US Army nurse was also an Irish citizen.

Tom Abraham:

Attachment Attached File

Stuart Wood:

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top