Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/17/2022 7:23:56 PM EDT
I’ve run BFG All Terrains many times over the years, but not since they came out with this new longer tread life compound.

I know they aren’t great in snow, but I live in Alabama.

What’s been the board’s experience with these tires?

They’re going on an F150 Supercrew.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone who says they aren't great in the snow doesn't know how to drive. I had them on my F150, my 4Runner and now my Jeep. I would love to say I wouldn't run anything else but unfortunately they don't make them in the size I'll be upgrading to soon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
There are better options?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had 3 sets on 2 different trucks.   All 3 have freaking sucked as I hate the road noise and balancing issues.

My next will be Coopers
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Had them in the past, I like my Falken WildPeak A/T3Ws better. No experience in snow though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't run BFG's. IMO they're overpriced.  Ended up with Wildpeak AT3's on my last truck.  They were half the price of KO2's. Loved them.  Now that Wildpeaks creeped up in price I'll likely try out General AT's.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
No problems with my set. Handled the recent snow storm we had just fine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had them in the past, I like my Falken WildPeak A/T3Ws better. No experience in snow though.
View Quote

I put these on my 4runner and they are pretty dang good tires. I ran BFG's and Duratracs and these ride better , handle better on roads, better wet weather tractions , and great in snow. The only issue I have is they don't have as an aggressive look .
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have them on my Land Cruiser. I have the DT version. There are 2 new versions the DT is geared towards heavier trucks. They do very well in everything except red clay. They tend to load up and turn into slicks. A lot of all terrains are the same way. I have Mud Terrains as a solution on my more dedicated off roader.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had BFGs and now run Falken Wildpeak. The Falken wear better,  quiet and do great in snow, mud and daily driving.,
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Think I am up to about 50-60K miles - no issues.  I don't get talk about road noise.  Maybe I need to get something quieter but I don't consider these having road noise at all.  No issues in rain or sand but haven't done much in the mud, I hear they don't preform very well b/c they don't clear.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've had 3 sets on 2 different trucks.   All 3 have freaking sucked as I hate the road noise and balancing issues.

My next will be Coopers
View Quote

Interesting. I went from cooper discovery at3s to ko2s and dont really notice any additional noise. These are E rated tires if that matters. Ko2s are better on jobsites for sure.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Have been running BFG A/Ts for 15+ years. Last set on my F350 went 60K before needing replaced (and they were not bald, but definitely needed replacing).

Just put a new set on maybe 3K miles ago. Had Same tires on my 79 F150, Excursion, Expedition, etc.

If it's a 4x4, it gets BFGs. Only reason my Taco doesn't have then is because it came with brand new Cooper AT3s. Not impressed with them after a couple snow storms here, so I may be replacing them sooner than later.

Mine have been great in snow, not sure where you came up with that. Better than these coopers for sure.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ve run BFG All Terrains many times over the years, but not since they came out with this new longer tread life compound.

View Quote

I've liked them.  Good dry performance, great snow performance.  Haven't had any of the balancing issues that some have had.  They DO have road noise.

Right now, I have Ridge Grapplers, I'd put them roughly equal on dry, but the BFGs really seemed to do better in the wet and snow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I like KO2's. They've been great in all conditions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#15]
They are not bad.

I have been on General X3's now and I am more than impressed.  They don't make a lot of noise either.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone who says they aren't great in the snow doesn't know how to drive. I had them on my F150, my 4Runner and now my Jeep. I would love to say I wouldn't run anything else but unfortunately they don't make them in the size I'll be upgrading to soon.
View Quote

Exactly.  I’ve got KO2’s on our Gladiator right now and it’s fucking awesome in the snow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I love mine (on a 4runner), they aren't great in heavy rain (think Seattle).  They do pretty well in every other scenario.  I take mine off-road in various conditions in the mountains, and they handle it all. They've lasted a while, I think I'm up to around 48,000mi now with this set, still plenty left. Planning to buy another set in a bigger size soon, once I upgrade my UCAs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#18]
They're not exactly snow tires.  They're not exactly mud tires.  They're not great at anything, but they're decent overall.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Interesting. I went from cooper discovery at3s to ko2s and dont really notice any additional noise. These are E rated tires if that matters. Ko2s are better on jobsites for sure.
View Quote
2 sets were on my work truck running 18 inch tires.    The road noise was bad around 35k.

1 set one was on my Ram with 20" tires and it started roaring at 20k miles.    All balanced regularly.

I can't complain about mud and snow though.  They performed well there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve had issues getting them balanced. Other than that no issues.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine do great in the snow. About 45k miles on them too.

Went through 2-3 foot thick snow drifts.

Stock height 2015 f150 fx4.

Different angle. Less snow a few years ago.

So you can see how much snow I was driving through.

Road noise is getting pretty bad. They’re at about 25% life or less. I’ll get a new set this summer or fall.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Cooper ST Maxx is my go to now. Had BFG and Duratracs many times. Cooper ST Maxx is on another level.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have them on my Land Cruiser. I have the DT version. There are 2 new versions the DT is geared towards heavier trucks. They do very well in everything except red clay. They tend to load up and turn into slicks. A lot of all terrains are the same way. I have Mud Terrains as a solution on my more dedicated off roader.
View Quote

So I called about the DT version, because that's also what I got this go around. I was told that the DT version was released because they had issues with some of the early K02 models where on trucks that were hauling heavy loads the tread would separate. So they came up with the DT version for those applications. I was also told that the DT version carries a 50,00 or 60,000 mile warranty, whereas the non-DT does not. This is from calling in to BFG themselves, as the tire shop had no clue. So I went DT, being I thought it was stupid that they were the same price and one didn't have a warranty.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They are not bad.

I have been on General X3's now and I am more than impressed.  They don't make a lot of noise either.

https://images.tirebuyer.com/visual-aids/products/tires/general/grabberx3/general_grabberx3_bw_451033_vary_jpg_s3_crop_x1000.jpg
View Quote

I have these on my jeep.  I can attest to the road noise.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Have the OE set on a JLU rubicon. Street they’re fine, 5 tire rotate every oil change (5kish). Probably slightly over 1/2 tread life at 25k.

Only complaint I have with them is they tend to pick up gravel and hold until 40+ speeds and sling it. But that’s likely a localish problem on gravel size used and something that might be common on any other A/T.

Previous jeep with duratracs in same size did not do it nearly as heavily, of course they have a slightly large tread void.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My next will be Coopers
View Quote

They were OEM on my Raptor and they sucked ass from day 1. I replaced them with Coopers when they wore out at at 30k miles. Best decision evah!
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
2 sets were on my work truck running 18 inch tires.    The road noise was bad around 35k.

1 set one was on my Ram with 20" tires and it started roaring at 20k miles.    All balanced regularly.

I can't complain about mud and snow though.  They performed well there.
View Quote

Yeah mine are not low pros. They are on a ford econoline. I will say they do love to be rotated. If you do an oil change and dont rotate they can tend to make noise. I rotate every 4-5k and road noise is pretty nill.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#28]
They fucking suck. Made out of chalk I think. After the first 5k miles they suck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They're not exactly snow tires.  They're not exactly mud tires.  They're not great at anything, but they're decent overall.
View Quote

I guess that’s why they call them all terrain tires and not mud or snow tires.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn’t think the noise was that bad for such a tire. Mine have had a heavier load rating then other sizes for whatever reason. I kept them rotated and have gotten good life. They are pretty good in snow. Mud will plug up in certain conditions but they have been good in snow and I plow snow. Yes there is better but also even more expensive. Tires like most things are a set of compromises.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I would say they ARE great in the snow, but that they may not last as long on hot AL pavement as other tires. They suck in mud - that's the only area where I think they don't perform.

I really like them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#32]
For those complaining about road noise, I take it none of you have ever ran a set of Goodyear Wranglers, LOL.

I bought a set to try on my Wife's second Expedition, as a guy had a set with 75-80 tread left for $250. They are great in snow, but LOUD. Like, stupid loud. I don't care how cheap they were, I will not be buying those again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've had BFGs and now run Falken Wildpeak. The Falken wear better,  quiet and do great in snow, mud and daily driving.,
View Quote

My experience as well
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Drive down to the plant and dothan and get some
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#36]
KO2’s are garbage with the new compound.

—> big AT, and KO fan. Michelin ruined them.

Love KM3’s.

For AT’s I’ve been very happy with Toyo AT3 and Cooper AT3 XLT
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cooper ST Maxx is my go to now. Had BFG and Duratracs many times. Cooper ST Maxx is on another level.
View Quote
Good to hear.

That's what I'm looking at, or the Mickey Thompson version (also made by Cooper).

My BFG ATs were a much older version, very happy with the Duratracs but they have gotten pretty crazy on price.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For those complaining about road noise, I take it none of you have ever ran a set of Goodyear Wranglers, LOL.

I bought a set to try on my Wife's second Expedition, as a guy had a set with 75-80 tread left for $250. They are great in snow, but LOUD. Like, stupid loud. I don't care how cheap they were, I will not be buying those again.
View Quote

Hello, yes… super swamper would like to have a word with you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hello, yes super swamper would like to have a word with you.
View Quote

Ha, I'm not that awesome to have ran a set of those.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#40]
KO2's are better in snow than the original KO's.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think we can be friends. I came to post this, F150, 4Runner and Jeep TJ.
Great in snow, quiet and wear great.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Got a set on my old tundra 2wd. Does pretty well but as mentioned they don’t clear our alabama red clay very well. Does great in my fields. Mine is used mostly in the fields but haven’t noticed any nasty noise on road and wet weather traction is decent. Much higher rolling resistance with lower mpg than the ltx ms tires I used to run when I was doing a daily commute.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I put these on my 4runner and they are pretty dang good tires. I ran BFG's and Duratracs and these ride better , handle better on roads, better wet weather tractions , and great in snow. The only issue I have is they don't have as an aggressive look .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GF talked me into Falken Wildpeaks instead of BFGs a couple years ago on my beater XJ.  They're objectively better than KOs in that application.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

The work great in snow. The deeper the snow the better.

That said, if there's light rain...they can be a nightmare if you use the go pedal coming out of a corner.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Great desert tires. Tough. I run em on my trucks that go to Jalisco.

Not great in mud or on wet cement.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I’ve liked them x3 sets on different vehicles. Lot of worse options out there.

The Falken Wildpeak A/Ts on my Gladiator seem as good so far. When they need replacing I’ll have a big decision to make.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, like the Falken’s better
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#48]
These are all I run and have run for the last 6 years on a variety of 1500 trucks.

The MAIN reason I run them is that they have the best side walls and don't get flats as much as every other truck tire I run up until I started running them.

Pros.  Good thread life, residence to tread and side wall punctures (I've been known to get a spark plug or two through the side wall).  They air down nice for recreational off road.  They hold up to caliche rock roads even at moderate speed.

Cons.  They can be noisy on the highway compared to all terrain truck tires.  They are not great in heavy snow or ice.  They pick up a lot of small rocks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That said, if there's light rain...they can be a nightmare if you use the go pedal coming out of a corner.
View Quote

I thought I had read that numerus times here.

I'm in Eastern NC where snow is rare, but we get lots of rain so they are off the list of possible choices for when my F-150 needs tires.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I quit buying them when I had so much trouble trying to get my last set(first set of the new KO2 version)balanced. They do last a long time if kept rotated but they grab and throw rocks terrible, you can come off a gravel road and the tires will still be slinging rocks at your truck a mile or two down the road.

I started using Dura Tracs and other than them not lasting as long I've been happy with them. I'm on my second set right now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top