Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/24/2024 11:48:13 PM EDT
Went to PNC Bank to withdraw cash from my account today.  Handed them a withdrawal slip and my DL.  They asked for additional ID like debit card or credit card.

I don't have a debit or credit card from PNC and I don't see the need to share my other credit cards with them.

Have you seen this?  How would you handle?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell them they don’t need to see a second ID.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
How can a debit or credit card be considered id?

Does your DL meet the Real ID requirements?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Boomer thread.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah! fuck the bank for taking extra measures to keep your account secure!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]
use your carry permit and/or passport.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I did.  They refused to give me the cash, and the refused to close my account and give me cash or a cashier's check.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe they have experienced a lot of ID fraud lately, especially with cash withdrawals.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
How can a debit or credit card be considered id?

Does your DL meet the Real ID requirements?
View Quote

Yes and I pointed that out and had them confirm my picture matched.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dcat:

I did.  They refused to give me the cash, and the refused to close my account and give me cash or a cashier's check.

View Quote
has PNC lost a customer?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
View Quote

Letting them scan the bar code on another credit card of mine does not confirm my ID.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:01:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
View Quote

Are they though?  Or are they just being ignorant, or taterheads?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:09:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#13]
N/M
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#14]
How much was the withdrawal?
Was it unusual?

The justice system has stopped punishing bad guys.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Went to PNC Bank to withdraw cash from my account today.  Handed them a withdrawal slip and my DL.  They asked for additional ID like debit card or credit card.

I don't have a debit or credit card from PNC and I don't see the need to share my other credit cards with them.

View Quote

I haven't, but I'd thank them for being so protective of my money, and keeping randos from impersonating me and taking it out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  They will probably take any credit card with your name on it.  Suggest applying for a PNC debit card if no fee to have it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I once gave my bank my ccw. They said, 'yep, government issued id'.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
View Quote
If you're gonna show your carry permit, then also show them your carry gun. That'll impress them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Any chance it was over $2,500?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Stupid bank.  I mean really. Who the hell do they think they are?  Asking to verify your identity before they hand someone your money?

And you're right? It's dangerous handing them something like another form of ID....like a credit card.  Because the bank doesn't know anything about you already.  They don't have your name.  They don't have your address.  They don't have your date of birth.  And they don't have your social security number.   You're smart to be skekptical, they could easily steal your identity.

Not to mention all that valuable time of yours that they're wasting.

Once you're done putting them in their place, you should send them an invoice for your time-- then, take your business elsewhere.  And when you do, make sure your new bank continues to earn your business with every transaction.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't need another stinking credit card, especially one from PNC.

If some rando steals my wallet, they would have both my DL and credit cards, so how does requiring both of those stop said rando?

They key part is that I gave them a DL, that meets the Real-ID criteria, and is legal to fly in 50 states.  My picture matched.  I gave them my social, DOB, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Eons ago, I did a withdrawal from BofA. Had the signed withdrawal slip. They asked for my debit card. Teller said my card needed to be signed. I signed it right then and there. Teller compared sigs on just signed withdrawal slip and just signed debit card as verification. I was like
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#23]
They just want to see the name on a debit or credit card, OP. Or some other form of ID.

This isn't hard.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Smokey0844:
Any chance it was over $2,500?
View Quote

Measly $200
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#25]
No sure if boomer troll thread
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:26:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kc-coyote] [#27]
Waiting for a parody thread about someone with a fake ID was able to withdraw $200 from someone's bank and the bank says the real customer is SOL.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Standard operating procedure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#29]
The tellers at my bank address me by name, only if it's someone filling in that I don't know do I offer i.d.  I'm also always armed (cc) when I go to the bank.  Living in a rural area, has its advantages.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Get a debit card and just use the ATM from now on.  It doesn't ask for more ID other than a PIN.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Had to ask the mrs on this one as I think I’ve done in person banking maybe twice in the last decade while it’s her trade. The card request is an id check that’s been started kind of recently in the industry because it’s easier to forge a state id than it is to create a working credit/debit card with all the internal data that’s kept within the card.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#32]
You went inside a bank? Man, I haven't been inside a bank in years and that was only to get a bank check for the good faith money or whatever they called it when I bought my house.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:33:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 80085] [#33]
Nvm
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't need another stinking credit card, especially one from PNC.

If some rando steals my wallet, they would have both my DL and credit cards, so how does requiring both of those stop said rando?

They key part is that I gave them a DL, that meets the Real-ID criteria, and is legal to fly in 50 states.  My picture matched.  I gave them my social, DOB, etc.
View Quote
You asked other people what they would do.  It sounds like you don't really care and you have already made up your mind about it.  This is all fine, but it begs the question why you bothered asking us in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
The tellers at my bank address me by name, only if it's someone filling in that I don't know do I offer i.d.  I'm also always armed (cc) when I go to the bank.  Living in a rural area, has its advantages.
View Quote

My regular teller was not there.  I opened the account in 1992, and PNC is the 6th name on the sign.  They have been downsizing all the branches and I think they would do away with all the tellers if they could.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
View Quote

Concealed means concealed and PNC is known anti-gun.  My passport is expired.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By King-Of-Town:
Stupid bank.  I mean really. Who the hell do they think they are?  Asking to verify your identity before they hand someone your money?

And you're right? It's dangerous handing them something like another form of ID....like a credit card.  Because the bank doesn't know anything about you already.  They don't have your name.  They don't have your address.  They don't have your date of birth.  And they don't have your social security number.   You're smart to be skekptical, they could easily steal your identity.

Not to mention all that valuable time of yours that they're wasting.

Once you're done putting them in their place, you should send them an invoice for your time-- then, take your business elsewhere.  And when you do, make sure your new bank continues to earn your business with every transaction.
View Quote

Then why do they need the second ID? Ask him to verify any of those pieces of information and move the fuck on. They don't NEED to see anything else from him other than his ID.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:03:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackTaco] [#38]
I withdrew $30K a few weeks ago in 3 or 4 transactions, and they didn’t ask for my ID one time at 2 different branches. They did ask why the F I needed so much cash though. I told them I like to gamble

I was pissed off a few years ago when I’d pull large amounts out, come to find out, they ask to make sure you’re not getting scammed.
The 2nd ID is probably the same deal - it’s okay OP, relax.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#39]
That is a racist policy. Report it to the DNC.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Maybe they shouldn't help keep your money safe OP.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't have PNC. Never had to provide additional ID other than swiping the debit card and entering PIN.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#42]
PNC sucks.

They wouldn't let my wife pay cash for my mortgage payment,
but allowed a friend of mine to pay my mortgage with cash I
gave her.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Provide No Cash
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#44]

Measly $200
View Quote
You went into a bank for $200?  The last time I stepped foot in a bank was to close an account when my wife and I combined everything.  Get a debit card, turn off the purchasing function and use the ATM.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By LeeFred:
Get a debit card and just use the ATM from now on.  It doesn't ask for more ID other than a PIN.
View Quote

And don't write your PIN on the back of the card.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#46]
When you talked to the bank manager what did he say?

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Concealed means concealed and PNC is known anti-gun.  My passport is expired.
View Quote

So bank elsewhere?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Paul:
When you talked to the bank manager what did he say?

View Quote

We create the thread in GD before we waste time on silly shit like that. You know how this works, Paul.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
Yes.  They will probably take any credit card with your name on it.  Suggest applying for a PNC debit card if no fee to have it.
View Quote

They probably want 2 pieces of ID for that too...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Maybe hearing rando over and over triggered the teller.? Did you walk in a say, “I want to make a rando withdrawal.”
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top