Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2024 10:22:08 PM EDT
Got the heart and liver from our last steer.   We're not big liver and onion fans, so how do we prepare and cook heart and liver so it's something we will enjoy?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Use lots of EVO so that it doesn't stick to the pan as you scrapping it out into the trash.

Shit posting aside, I can't help you with the liver but smoked beef heart isn't terrible.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Soak a day or two in Dr. Pepper.
Yes, really.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Open trash can lid and and heart and liver. Close lid. Serves 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Take all the outer and inner layers of the heart off untill you have nothing but clean red meat. You can bread and fry it but I really like it in stir fry.

Livers one of those things you either love or hate. I eat it with bacon and onions. Fry your liver in the bacon fat. Liver is the best a little pink in the center in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Grind it into all your other burger IMO
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer venison heart fried, still slightly pink.

Liver……ehhh, when I process a deer at home I might throw one or two slices of liver into each pack of loin. It’s not something I want for a whole meal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Chop up and give to the dog.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag. Bought a quarter cow and got both.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought a quarter of a 4H steer. I think the other 3 guys gave me all the liver.
Found a liver recipe "For those who don't like liver".

Cooked it up, fed it to our Schnauzer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-58:
Soak a day or two in Dr. Pepper.
Yes, really.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been raising beef for 30 years. I've never eaten either because I wanted to or had too.
Whoever said feed it to the dog, ding fucking ding.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:42:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#12]
Originally Posted By Todd6030:
Got the heart and liver from our last steer.   We're not big liver and onion fans, so how do we prepare and cook heart and liver so it's something we will enjoy?
View Quote

Feed it to the animals.  We aint quite there yet.  If it get's that bad, I don't know what would be worse;  The dog, cow dick/heart/liver/ or the neighbors.  Hopefully I never see that day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

Feed it to the animals.  We aint quite there yet.  If it get's that bad, I don't know what would be worse;  The dog, cow dick/heart/liver/ or the neighbors.  Hopefully I never see that day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

Well some people don't like liver, and I happen to like heart, tounge, and liver.  Unfortunately I just can't get past roasting a whole lamb head.

Have a hard time getting consistent when I only cook them a few times a year.  Don't care for the kidneys, so that and any leftover liver goes to the dogs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Well some people don't like liver, and I happen to like heart, tounge, and liver.  Unfortunately I just can't get past roasting a whole lamb head.

Have a hard time getting consistent when I only cook them a few times a year.  Don't care for the kidneys, so that and any leftover liver goes to the dogs.
View Quote

I do like a good gyro.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:51:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wizzy] [#15]
Got this from that Meateater guy, Steve Rinella. I've only used it for venison liver. It's absolutely delicious and healthy as fuck.

The key is to cut the liver into extremely thin slices. As thin as you can. You want to expose as much surface area as possible. Then you soak the slices in lemon water for a few hours. This draws out the blood and livery taste. Change the lemon water frequently.

Grill some red onion in bacon grease. Grill 'em until they start getting charred. This alone tastes like candy. (Due to the Maillard effect.) I like to also throw in some sliced jalapeños. I bet it'd be good with some shrooms as well, magic or not.

Then add your extremely thin slices of liver. It won't take long for them to be ready.

There's a reason dogs love liver. It has a fuckton of nutrients. Like a month's supply of vitamins. Your energy levels will be off the chart.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:20:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cash50:
Grind it into all your other burger IMO
View Quote

Those Little Tavern (or maybe it's White Castle) belly bombs are 1/4 liver.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#17]
We cook heart like chicken fried steak, and have it for breakfast with biscuits, gravy, eggs.

Our local supermarket sells it so I’ll buy it every so often.  It’s always a hit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:38:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Hearts are always sliced thin, fajitas or onions and green peppers.
Liver, ground up to make filling in sausage.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Just chop as fine as you can get it, and then pour the Bile of the cow over it, and top off with an ungodly amount of cilantro and hot pepper. Congratulations and welcome to northern thailand/laos. The hardcore ones will use green stomach contents as a topping
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to try beef cheeks. I know not the same.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:20:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 3uzzard:
I want to try beef cheeks. I know not the same.
View Quote

Beef cheek is awesome.  IMHO one of the best parts of cow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I love fried chicken livers...not so much beef liver. A stew may be appropriate🤷🏿‍♂️
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#23]
If you have never had Beef Heart Stew you are missing a fantastic meal. To start with it is lean in fat compared to other cuts of beef. This organ meat also contains a substantial amount of complex B vitamins, like folate, riboflavin, and Vitamin B-12, that protect against heart disease and naturally improve energy levels. Cooking low and slow is an absolute must. Try this one.

https://www.africanfood.recipes/2023/09/morocco-beef-heart-stew.html
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:57:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Gator96:
I love fried chicken livers...not so much beef liver. A stew may be appropriate🤷🏿‍♂️
View Quote

Lamb heart and liver are milder than beef and have great flavor. Rabbit liver is fantastic with fried onions, of course.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:34:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

Lamb heart and liver are milder than beef and have great flavor. Rabbit liver is fantastic with fried onions, of course.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chisum:
Originally Posted By Gator96:

Thanks.  My local supermarket also sells those.  Haven’t tried it yet, will this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:47:03 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Both my grandmothers taught me to soak the beef liver in milk overnight to get rid of the strong flavor. It makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I eat beef liver, but calf is way better. I never tried heart though.

I did try beef spleen or melt. I didn't care for it. It requires a lot of prep removing all the this white membrane. It is thin and kind of gelelatinous so doing so is a PITA. I cooked it in a pressure cooker, tried it and fed it to my dog.

Cheek is awesome. It is like osso buco.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Open hefty bag, insert organs, tie it off toss it out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Open trash can lid and and heart and liver. Close lid. Serves 3
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#31]
For liver you want to under cook it. It should taste sweet not metallic and gritty. Moat people cook it to death and it's not good. Or make patte out of it I use a ton of butter, garlic and rosemary then blend it up to a paste.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#32]
BOUDIN
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:06:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FunnyStar] [#33]
Never had beef heart, only venison heart which is excellent cut up into small pieces and pan fried in butter with salt and pepper.

Beef liver is delicious. I'm the odd one who likes it. My favorite is going to a established Diner like this and getting a plate if liver and onions. I order this dish about once a year for me. I also make it myself about once a year. If someone served it to me I would probably ask for seconds and eat off other peoples plates for their left overs. It's weird, I get a hankering for beef liver about twice a year.

When I cook beef liver I pan fry it in butter with a little EVOO and just salt and pepper. I personally like it a smidge pink on the inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top