Quoted:
If you're a SOT.

If not it's $200 +$5 iirc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought about getting one and filing through eforms since it's like $5 for that stamp (I think)
If you're a SOT.

If not it's $200 +$5 iirc
Nope.  It's either $200 or nothing to make or manufacture an AOW.  It's $5 to transfer one.  SOTs don't pay NFA taxes on individual firearms they make since they already paid the Special Occupational Tax.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you are an 02/07 once it's on the books as a NFA post sample would it matter if it had the very grip without the happy switch since you can make an she as well? It's still a title 2 without the auto mode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has been established.  With the back plate installed the gun is Title II and grip/stock are ok.  If the backplate is swapped back the gun is title I and the grip/stock would have to be removed PRIOR to swapping the backplate.
If you are an 02/07 once it's on the books as a NFA post sample would it matter if it had the very grip without the happy switch since you can make an she as well? It's still a title 2 without the auto mode.
The conversion device is usually what's registered, it remains a machine gun until destroyed.  The pistol goes back to being a pistol once the conversion device is removed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The conversion device is usually what's registered, it remains a machine gun until destroyed.  The pistol goes back to being a pistol once the conversion device is removed.
View Quote
In that case. Register the gun not the device.

It's not like were talking about an expensive pistol here. Or serial an 80 frame and make a throw away frame for it. Even better.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has been established.  With the back plate installed the gun is Title II and grip/stock are ok.  If the backplate is swapped back the gun is title I and the grip/stock would have to be removed PRIOR to swapping the backplate.
No, it's NOT title II if the auto sear is removed.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In before your dust cover or grip breaks off and you shoot off some fingers with 10mm goodness....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11fcg543Jow
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh you will!   I think a 10mm FA handgun is going to require two hands
In before your dust cover or grip breaks off and you shoot off some fingers with 10mm goodness....

Seen it, lots of things can break and hurt you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Only one more?  You should put one on the top, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it already comes with one...how many do you think you're gonna need...
One more lol
Only one more?  You should put one on the top, too.
I only have two hands so..
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not like were talking about an expensive pistol here. Or serial an 80 frame and make a throw away frame for it. Even better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That locks your conversion device to a single frame, with how easy the backplate is to swap on a glock I wouldn't want that.

Also I'm 90% sure that the ATF doesn't approve Glock frames as MG's, it's my understanding they make you serialize/register the auto sear itself.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, your avatar is fitting.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Also I'm 90% sure that the ATF doesn't approve Glock frames as MG's, it's my understanding they make you serialize/register the auto sear itself.
View Quote
Why wouldn't they?  What if I actually milled the slide for G18 parts instead of a drop in auto sear?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, your avatar is fitting.  
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why wouldn't they?  What if I actually milled the slide for G18 parts instead of a drop in auto sear?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you milled the slide I think you'd have to register the slide.

I have heard people say that their Form 2's were denied on registering the frame and that the ATF wanted the sear itself done.  Hearsay I know.  I think the reasoning is that since the sear can be easily swapped they want to keep track of it not the gun it's dropped into.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#12]
You'll shoot your hand off kid.

Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Once again GD has proved that it has very serious jealousy issues.

OP, Post vids!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I were putting a VFG on a Glock, I'd probably want something like the ALG 6 Second Mount and an MP5K-style VFG.

Might as well put a stock on it too.

Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Once again GD has proved that it has very serious jealousy issues.

OP, Post vids!
View Quote
Oh that's a guarantee.  Looks like I'll have a stock too so my hands may be safe.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#16]
If you haven't already decided, my personal favorite was the FGG-S, which is nearly identical to the FGG-K but without the trigger cover slider. They can be had on ebay for under $40.

ETA: The ENDO stock adapter works extremely well, too. Not QD, but rock solid. You might be weirded out by the springy feel on FA at first, but it's the slide and barrel reciprocating, not the stock.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Oh that's a guarantee.  Looks like I'll have a stock too so my hands may be safe.  Maybe.
View Quote
I would like to build a 10mm FPG at some point, as a big brother to my FPG 9.....

I just need to find an SOT with a happy switch end plate that would let me play

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would like to build a 10mm FPG at some point, as a big brother to my FPG 9.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/IMG_20170620_121255592_jpg-731156.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/IMG_20170620_121839760_jpg-731157.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/IMG_20170620_121255592_jpg-731156.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/IMG_20170620_121839760_jpg-731157.JPG
LEGITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

How south into SC are you
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
LEGITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
How south into SC are you
View Quote
Not very, Greenville area

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Magpul-FMG-FPG-update/15-712326/
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If I were putting a VFG on a Glock, I'd probably want something like the ALG 6 Second Mount and an MP5K-style VFG.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw a MAC video about these:

Id be willing to SBR a Glock for something like this.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I saw a MAC video about these:

http://www.osagecountyguns.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/BT-USW-G17-00011.jpg

Id be willing to SBR a Glock for something like this.
View Quote
Might have to do some creative machining to get a charging handle on the happy-switch backplate for a MG
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mayhaps This?
View Quote
Not vertical therefor legal?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
If that wasn't 3D printed airsoft I'd have bought one when they first came out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Full auto
View Quote
You see the video of the guy that shoots himself when the vertical grip comes off the G18? I wouldn't trust it.

ETA: I see it was posted.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Same here
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL to all the page 1 firearms police responses.

All I can recommend, OP, is get something that's sturdy. That beast is gonna be a wild child.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wanna see the FA awesomness you are putting together
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT mount the VFG to the frame.

Get an ALG mount.

I can absolutely see the recoil of a full auto G20 breaking the dust cover off and potentially ruining your day.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LOL to all the page 1 firearms police responses.

All I can recommend, OP, is get something that's sturdy. That beast is gonna be a wild child.
View Quote
Thanks man!  I agree 100%
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I thought about getting one and filing through eforms since it's like $5 for that stamp (I think)
View Quote
Still 200 to make an AOW but only 5 to transfer an existing one.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
It would still be a SBR... a title II firearm.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can pay an SOT to "convert" it, whatever their charge, and then the form 4 is $5.
If you do it yourself on a form 1 it's $200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you’re a SOT.

If not it’s $200 +$5 iirc
You can pay an SOT to "convert" it, whatever their charge, and then the form 4 is $5.
If you do it yourself on a form 1 it's $200.
So $5 to transfer, $200 to build?

Once I get around to doing an AR or similar "pistol" I'm thinking of going the AOW route and it seems like everyone's paying $200 for the stamps, but they have all done Form 1s.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not if you remove the stock/grip before removing the registered end plate.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Once I get around to doing an AR or similar "pistol" I'm thinking of going the AOW route and it seems like everyone's paying $200 for the stamps, but they have all done Form 1s.
View Quote
Is there a reason you want to go AOW instead of SBR, if you're going to F1 it?  Interstate travel?
The only advantage you'll have with an AOW over a pistol will be that you can run a front grip at an overall length under 26"
Some states won't allow a rifle to be loaded in a vehicle, but a pistol can, not sure about AOW's...
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is there a reason you want to go AOW instead of SBR, if you're going to F1 it?  Interstate travel?
The only advantage you'll have with an AOW over a pistol will be that you can run a front grip at an overall length under 26"
Some states won't allow a rifle to be loaded in a vehicle, but a pistol can, not sure about AOW's...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't SBR it in CA.  If it was C&R, you could still SBR it until 2011, when it was ruled that doing that makes it a new weapon and negates C&R status, which would make it illegal in CA.  Not very many ARs qualified by that point and I doubt any were SBRed, as it's an obscure law (and all would be registered AWs and thus not transferrable, anyways).  Even with C&R status, under 30" makes an SBR an AW, and thus illegal.

A braced pistol as an alternative poses some risks in CA.  So far DOJ has not considered pistols with most braces to be SBRs.  But they seem to consider shouldering to make it an SBR under State law based on what I've read so far, and the former is potentially subject to change or prosecution attempts by other authorities.

However, a Federally registered AOW is exempt from the CA SBR laws, and they can't prosecute you for having or shouldering the brace, whatever they determine there.  The only thing that seems to be problematic is shouldering the brace as far as the Feds are concerned.  I'm getting the impression that they'd consider a shouldered braced AOW to be an SBR.

Also, in CA AOWs can be added to CCW permits if the issuing authority has no problem with it, not that I have a shot at a permit in my current county (but most are close to or essentially shall-issue).  Some counties do have issues with it or with rifle-calibre weapons, but not all.

Just something I'm considering when the time comes.

I wouldn't mind going the Form 4 route, but SOTs here are almost never willing to deal with ordinary folks even where NFA stuff is legal.  I do know an SOT here who is a manufacturer, but I've never asked if he facilitates NFA transfers and stuff for anyone but LEOs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Can't SBR it in CA.  If it was C&R, you could still SBR it until 2011, when it was ruled that doing that makes it a new weapon and negates C&R status, which would make it illegal in CA.  Not very many ARs qualified by that point and I doubt any were SBRed, as it's an obscure law (and all would be registered AWs and thus not transferrable, anyways).  Even with C&R status, under 30" makes an SBR an AW, and thus illegal.

A braced pistol as an alternative poses some risks in CA.  So far DOJ has not considered pistols with most braces to be SBRs.  But they seem to consider shouldering to make it an SBR under State law based on what I've read so far, and the former is potentially subject to change or prosecution attempts by other authorities.

However, a Federally registered AOW is exempt from the CA SBR laws, and they can't prosecute you for having or shouldering the brace, whatever they determine there.  The only thing that seems to be problematic is shouldering the brace as far as the Feds are concerned.  I'm getting the impression that they'd consider a shouldered braced AOW to be an SBR.

Also, in CA AOWs can be added to CCW permits if the issuing authority has no problem with it, not that I have a shot at a permit in my current county (but most are close to or essentially shall-issue).  Some counties do have issues with it or with rifle-calibre weapons, but not all.

I wouldn't mind going the Form 4 route, but SOTs here are almost never willing to deal with ordinary folks even where NFA stuff is legal.  I do know an SOT here who is a manufacturer, but I've never asked if he facilitates NFA transfers and stuff for anyone but LEOs.
View Quote
What an absolute CF of laws.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple of those bits are Federal.  As I understand it, it is the ATF that foreclosed further SBR-ing of C&Rs while maintaining C&R status in 2011.  This just happens to be significant under CA law.  And I've also beenr eading that ATF isn't fond of shouldering AOWs with braces.

But yeah, CA finds all sorts of ways to muck things up.  But our convoluted laws also lend themselves to the existence of loopholes, like this one in the SBR laws.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not if you remove the stock/grip before removing the registered end plate.
View Quote
If he's a dealer it is no cost to leave the items on. He can register the frame as a Title II SBR and do what ever the fuck he wants with it for the stock and foregrip.

If the plate is the F/A item he can swap stuff as needed. It opens up options.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Attachment Attached File

...although I prefer the Micro Roni chassis. Way more controllable.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure if you registered it.  My point was removing the sear means the grip/stock have to come off first.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Really consider if you want to put that on the dust cover rail.

That cover is not very substantial to be trying to hold down the front of the gun. With as much leverage as you will get on a VFG, I would expect the cover to fail, especially with 10mm recoil.

Try it without it first. The auto glock is actually reasonable with practice.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Really consider if you want to put that on the dust cover rail.

That cover is not very substantial to be trying to hold down the front of the gun. With as much leverage as you will get on a VFG, I would expect the cover to fail, especially with 10mm recoil.

Try it without it first. The auto glock is actually reasonable with practice.
View Quote
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're saying the recoil is reasonable however I will certainly rip the frame apart with a VFG?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're saying the recoil is reasonable however I will certainly rip the frame apart with a VFG?
View Quote
He's just saying the dust cover was never intended to take the forces it will see if you use a vertical grip.

Take a Glock frame (without the slide) and grab the dust cover. They're not very rigid.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/I_cracked_the_frame_of_my__G19_using_my_bare_hands__Iandapos_ll_be_damned__PICS_INSIDE_/13-140580/?

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Your Glock 19 already has a vertical grip, just saying.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Your Glock 19 already has a vertical grip, just saying.
View Quote
I need one for each hand
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He's just saying the dust cover was never intended to take the forces it will see if you use a vertical grip.

Take a Glock frame (without the slide) and grab the dust cover. They're not very rigid.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/I_cracked_the_frame_of_my__G19_using_my_bare_hands__Iandapos_ll_be_damned__PICS_INSIDE_/13-140580/?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/broken-glock17.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fr5ccyriJI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/broken-glock17.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fr5ccyriJI
Ok I'm tracking.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Vertical video? Really?

That’s pretty damn awesome! I
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top