Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was little, my Grandmother would let me stay up late on Saturday and watch Big Time Wrestling from the world famous Sportatrium in Dalls.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing beats late 90s and early 00s WWF.

Only The Rock and Austin could get crowds this loud.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Jack and Jerry Brisco vs Terry and Dory Funk.

Harley Race.

Dusty Rhodes

Andre

Some tough customers

All out wrestling wars frequently broke out between my brother and myself.

Dad would too often break up these epic brawls before I could cement yet another "world championship belt".

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Any answer that doesn't include Mick Foley is wrong.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Yup.  Even then it was lame.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Poll fail.

Needs:

x.  None of the Above.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
whenever BRUNO SAMMARTINO wrassled.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
1984-1993
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone who doesn't think The Ultimate Warrior era is best era is WRONG (and probably thinks the WWF stands for "world wildlife foundation").

View Quote

Yes. I watched wrestling before WWF became WWE. Oh, and before that I used to watch it in B & W along with Roller Derby! "Whoa Nelly!!!"
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The road warriors
The sheepherders
The British bulldog
The Russians with crusher cruchev and Nikita kolai
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#12]
NWA 1980's

Ivan & Nikita the Russian Bear & Krusher Kruschev
Road Warrior Animal
Jim Crockett and Midnight Express
Dusty Rhodes and Manny Fernandez
JYD
Baron Von Rasche and his iron claw
Don Kernodle
Ric Flair
Rock & Roll Express (gay)
Magnum T.A..
Ricky Steamboat
Sting
Lex Luger
Wahoo McDaniel
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Early to mid-80's in Texas. The Von Erichs, Freebirds, Kamala, Kabuki, the Iron Shiek, etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Was the place Zichex? It was more of a restaurant, but they had a booze lounge. The place was pretty popular with wrestlers and NFL players.
View Quote
I kinda remember that place! But pretty sure where I ran into them was more of a bar/nightclub in the Westshore area called Green Iguana...30 years ago, though, so I could be completely wrong. I mostly went to the Rock-it Club on Dale Mabry back in those days.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]

<----------------------
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#16]
1986 I think
The Coliseum at Richfield Ohio
Hulk vs Andre
What a great show!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#17]
1980's WWF
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Dusty Rhodes Superstar Billy Graham promo
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Late 90s nwo. Had a look much fun playing 4 player on nintendo 64 with my buddies. Also loved the 80s-90s, especially the Ultimate Warrior.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

None.

Because wrestling is gay.

Over-roided, sweaty men busily throwing each other around with lots of scripted drama.

It's real housewives for sexually confused, over compensating poors.
View Quote
The lady doth protest too much.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I liked the 80's era with Hogan, flair, Piper, and Andre The Giant but I really enjoyed the mid to late 90's.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Greatest years were from 1996-2002. Up through about 2010 weren’t bad. Mid 80s-1995 were good but the gimmicks just went too far.

Hall/Nash coming out on Nitro and Hogan being the 3rd NWO member changed wrestling. Interesting bit of info, when the curtain call happened at, I think, MSG the original plan was for HHH to win the king of the ring tournament. However because they all broke character in front of an audience Vince got pissed. HBK was tops in the company so he couldn’t touch him, Hall/Nash we’re gone, so the plans changed and Austin won it. Had that not happened Austin 3:16 may never have been born.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened during the Monday Night Wars had Austin not received that push.
View Quote

You pretty much nailed it. While wrestling from the mid 80s through the mid 90s was good, the shit that happened in 1996 simply took things to a different level. The nWo takeover of WCW was genius. For the first time, the "heels" were more popular than the "good guys". It changed everything and brought in many new viewers, as well as former fans who wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It led to the "Monday Night Wars" which pushed the level of the writing and creativity to its absolute peak. Both WCW and WWF were killing it through the late 90s. Everyone from children to adults could be heard discussing what happened on Raw or Nitro the following day. It took wrestling to the mainstream. Then ECW came along and added even more extreme stuff to the mix, which carried over into the WWF and WCW. Professional wrestling was at its absolute peak in popularity in that stretch of time.

Unfortunately, when WCW went away and the WWF was the only show in town, the quality of the writing went to shit, as did the creativity. They now owned the market and were in the drivers seat. So they didn't have to push things to the next level to compete in ratings any longer. So the product became dull, stale and uninteresting. And people stopped watching it. All of the icons and superstars of the 80s and 90s starting to retire didn't help matters. Their replacements largely sucked. Wrestling will probably never again experience a 5 or 6 year run of success like we saw starting in 1996, or even come close. Hell, today's product can't even come close to competing with the 1980s or earlier time period.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:42:10 AM EDT
[#25]
The main thing I remember from occasionally watching wrestling as a kid was Lance Russel and Dave Brown doing commentary (Dave Brown was from my hometown).  

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:51:56 AM EDT
[#26]
OPNI. Monday night wars/ attitude era ftw.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:57:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Bruno Samartino
Bono Backlund
George the Animal Steel
The Iron Sheik
Sergeant Slaughter
Rex and King, the Moon Dogs
Gorilla Monsoon
Chief Jay Strongbow
And the incomparable Andre the Giant
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Not even close.  Best wrestling was '82 - '89.  Period.
NWA and its final decent into WCW.

Flair...the Horsemen...the Russians....Road Warriors....Rock & Roll/Midnight Express...no question.

Charlotte NC through Atlanta GA was king, brothas.

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Voted 1990 - 2010 since that's period I grew up in.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:22:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Georgia Championship Wrestling with Gordon Solie FTMFW.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Huh? OP has lost his shit from being indoors for too long. There has never been better wrestlers like the wrestlers from the 80s. Hulk Hogan, Roddy Pipper, Andre the Giant, Wrestlemania, etc. Everything that you have today was done in the 80s.
View Quote

Absolutely

Quoted:
I first started watching it in the late early/mid 70's when we finally got a TV that received UHF stations.

Bruno Sammartino was the champ and big star back then along with Chief Jay Strongbow, Pedro Morales, Haystatcks Calhoon,
George The Animal Steele, The Grand Wizard of Wrestling, Andre The Giant's debut, Professor Turo Tanka and Mr. Fuji, etc.

I think Hulk Hogan appearing in 'Rocky 3' started it off, followed by the MTV connection was what gave
wrestling in the 80's such a huge boost.
View Quote

For sure.  I remember all the music stars on MTV trash talking one of the bad guys, was it Rowdy Roddy Piper ?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#32]
1970-90 WWF - Andre the Giant, Superfly Jimmy Snuka, Mr. Fuji, Greg The Hammer Valentine, Ivan Putski, Sgt. Slaughter & The Iron Sheik, Big John Studd, Hulk Hogan...If I’d had WWE to watch as a kid I probably would have watched candlepin bowling instead.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You pretty much nailed it. While wrestling from the mid 80s through the mid 90s was good, the shit that happened in 1996 simply took things to a different level. The nWo takeover of WCW was genius. For the first time, the "heels" were more popular than the "good guys". It changed everything and brought in many new viewers, as well as former fans who wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It led to the "Monday Night Wars" which pushed the level of the writing and creativity to its absolute peak. Both WCW and WWF were killing it through the late 90s. Everyone from children to adults could be heard discussing what happened on Raw or Nitro the following day. It took wrestling to the mainstream. Then ECW came along and added even more extreme stuff to the mix, which carried over into the WWF and WCW. Professional wrestling was at its absolute peak in popularity in that stretch of time.

Unfortunately, when WCW went away and the WWF was the only show in town, the quality of the writing went to shit, as did the creativity. They now owned the market and were in the drivers seat. So they didn't have to push things to the next level to compete in ratings any longer. So the product became dull, stale and uninteresting. And people stopped watching it. All of the icons and superstars of the 80s and 90s starting to retire didn't help matters. Their replacements largely sucked. Wrestling will probably never again experience a 5 or 6 year run of success like we saw starting in 1996, or even come close. Hell, today's product can't even come close to competing with the 1980s or earlier time period.
View Quote

You are correct. Part of what happened after WWF bought WCW, the downward spiral, was their own fault. You still had big stars from WCW but Vince never used them right and would not put them over his own people. Think of the popularity of Goldberg, Steiner or DDP. First two couldn’t get over HHH and they used DDP to stalk Takers wife(didn’t she actually beat him in a match?).

Also I think certain wrestlers had contracts with Turner that made things a little funky.

But yeah they caught lightning in a bottle with a few guys, unfortunately they didn’t last long(Rock/Stone Cold), and then you had Guerrero dying and what happened with Benoit. Owen dying in the ring, Bret Harts career ending. Things started to add up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Huh? OP has lost his shit from being indoors for too long. There has never been better wrestlers like the wrestlers from the 80s. Hulk Hogan, Roddy Pipper, Andre the Giant, Wrestlemania, etc. Everything that you have today was done in the 80s.
View Quote

This, without question!  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top