Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 47
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow! Page 36 ownage!!!

Anyway, here's some major propaganda going around the Asian countries. I'm going to post the links to both stories up top here:

1   US future fighter plans in freefall  
Budget woes, aging F-22s, next-gen fighter uncertainties raise concerns over strategic priorities, air dominance
View Quote

2   US air moves in Japan more head fake than power punch
US plans $10 billion of upgrades for fighters in Japan, hardly enough to match China's fast-growing and more modern fleet
View Quote

Asia Times is more than pro-China, and we've discussed the bio of Gabrial Honarada, author of both pieces, before.

Is he wrong? Nope.
Are these the type of stories that encourage our Allies while discouraging our foes? Nope. But here we are.

Story 1:
The US Air Force faces a budget battle over retiring F-22 Raptors and funding next-gen fighters, sparking debates on strategic priorities and future air dominance versus near-peer adversaries.

This month, Airforce Technology reported that the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) criticized the USAF budget proposal for fiscal year 2023. The GAO stated that the USAF did not provide adequate data to Congress regarding the implications of retiring older F-22 Raptor stealth fighters, particularly the Block 20 variants used for training.

Airforce Technology notes that  USAF operates 32 F-22 Block 20 fighters, not upgraded to the capability levels of the more advanced Block 30/35 models.

The GAO pointed out that the USAF's proposal lacked crucial details, such as alternative training methods without Block 20s or the potential benefits of upgrading these aircraft instead of retiring them.

Airforce Technology says Northrop Grumman estimated that upgrading the Block 20 aircraft to the Block 30/35 standard would cost at least $3.3 billion and take around 15 years. However, it notes that the USAF deemed this limited information sufficient for its purposes, in contrast to the GAO's recommendation for more comprehensive data to support decision-making.

Further, the publication mentions that the National Defense Authorization Act prohibits reducing the F-22 inventory. That stands in the way of the retirement of Block 20 aircraft until the secretary of the Air Force presents a detailed plan to Congress.
View Quote
Here's another part:
Also, once touted as the future of US air superiority, the Next Generation Air Dominance program faces a similarly uncertain future as it potentially goes down a cost-death spiral. This month, Defense One reported that the USAF is considering changes to the NGAD program, which aimed to produce a sixth-generation fighter jet. Defense One notes this is due to budget constraints, technological challenges and evolving concepts of air dominance.

The publication mentions that the Air Force chief of staff, General David Allvin, and Secretary of the Air Force Frank Kendall have hesitated to continue the NGAD program. The program was expected to select a winner between Lockheed Martin and Boeing this year. However, the USAF's commitment to the program is now in question, with Allvin emphasizing that no final decision has been made.

Defense One notes the potential cancellation of the NGAD and its significant implications for the US defense industry. Delays in Lockheed Martin's F-35 program and Boeing's underwhelming defense performance are contributing factors, along with Boeing's management issues and Lockheed Martin's lack of incentives for cost-effective execution.

Defense One points out that the USAF is grappling with the high costs of NGAD, estimated at USD 300 million per unit, alongside investments in the F-35, B-21 Raider and Sentinel intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) programs. It also says advances in new technologies and drones are prompting a reevaluation of air dominance strategies.
View Quote
There's more!!!!

None of this is a lie. It's all true.

Story 2:
Also, once touted as the future of US air superiority, the Next Generation Air Dominance program faces a similarly uncertain future as it potentially goes down a cost-death spiral. This month, Defense One reported that the USAF is considering changes to the NGAD program, which aimed to produce a sixth-generation fighter jet. Defense One notes this is due to budget constraints, technological challenges and evolving concepts of air dominance.

The publication mentions that the Air Force chief of staff, General David Allvin, and Secretary of the Air Force Frank Kendall have hesitated to continue the NGAD program. The program was expected to select a winner between Lockheed Martin and Boeing this year. However, the USAF's commitment to the program is now in question, with Allvin emphasizing that no final decision has been made.

Defense One notes the potential cancellation of the NGAD and its significant implications for the US defense industry. Delays in Lockheed Martin's F-35 program and Boeing's underwhelming defense performance are contributing factors, along with Boeing's management issues and Lockheed Martin's lack of incentives for cost-effective execution.

Defense One points out that the USAF is grappling with the high costs of NGAD, estimated at USD 300 million per unit, alongside investments in the F-35, B-21 Raider and Sentinel intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) programs. It also says advances in new technologies and drones are prompting a reevaluation of air dominance strategies.
View Quote
It goes on, and it's all quite factual. Let's do two more parts:
In an April 2023 article for Air & Space Forces Magazine, Chris Gordon notes that US F-15 Eagles based at Kadena have retired after 40 years of service, raising questions about the US Air Force's (USAF) capacity to match China's growing, modern air fleet in the Pacific.

John Tirpak notes for Air & Space Forces Magazine that, on average, US fighter jets are 29 years old. Some fighters, such as the F-15C and F-15E, are 37 and 30 years old, far exceeding their expected service lives of 12-15 years.
View Quote
Then there's this:
Although the F-15EX represents a significant upgrade over older F-15 models, with its heavy payload and upgraded sensors enabling it to perform as a "missile truck" to launch beyond-visual-range (BVR) missiles, it does not have stealth features that would allow it to penetrate and survive in heavily defended airspace.
View Quote
Ol' Gabe used "missile truck" in a sentence. He may not be a full blown commie rat, but he is a fucko. But wait, there's more:
While the US deployed top-of-the-line F-22s to Kadena Air Force Base in April 2024, it is doubtful there will be enough of them to counter China's growing fleet of fifth-generation fighters, such as the J-20. The US stopped F-22 production with only 187 airframes built, fewer than China's 200 or so J-20 stealth fighters.

Maya Carlin notes in a June 2024 article for The National Interest (TNI) that China produced 100 J-20 stealth fighters last year, on top of 40-50 units built in 2022. At that rate, Carlin says China may have 1,000 J-20s by 2035.

In contrast, Unshin Lee Harpley notes in a March 2024 Air & Space Forces Magazine article that while the US can build 135 F-35 airframes a year, 60-70 of those planes go to US allies. Although the F-22 is a 30-year-old plane with a 1980s stealth design and 1990s computer architecture, constant upgrades may make it a capable combat platform in the 2020s and beyond.

In May 2024, Asia Times reported that the USAF is focused on developing more sophisticated and battle-ready F-22 models, rather than updating older Block 20 jets, as a critical part of its approach to advancing military equipment and addressing potential technological challenges.
View Quote
You guys get the picture.

Anyway, way back when, at the end of the duty day, I used to tell the younger airmen that "great stories" begin with "bad decisions."

We've got years of bad decisions, and there will be no great stories told about them.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
China no like https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202407/1316296.shtml
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
China no like https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202407/1316296.shtml
This is a big piece of "propaganda." In fact, it's huge! This is just one story on many types of publications saying that 'Japan is going to fail others in furtherance of its own self-interest." Now, we can say that the PRC is been doing that since the Belt and Road Initiative, as have the DNC!

What were going to look at specifically is who is being quoted in this piece. This is commie Propaganda. We can make certain assumptions like lies of omission and lies of commission. But, not everybody is a card-carrying commie!

I'm looking at the amount of background material I have, and now that my excitement has worn off, if I quoted from everything, you guys might kill me.

Out of my sense of self-preservation, I'm going to post links with a description, so you don't have to take my word for everything, but we will concentrate on one person, so you can see how this works.

Carmel's original story:
Japan unable to weaken ties between China and Pacific Island countries: analysts
The first thing we note is that even though the Global Times is part of the CCP, it's the analysts that are criticizing Japan, and they're all scholarly people; therefore above reproach.
The crux of the Global Times story is that the attempt of Japanese diplomacy to coerce naive Pacific Island Countries has failed due to the following reasons:
  • There is no "China Threat!"
  • Japan dumped radioactive Fukushima water into the Ocean trying to kill fish  and therefore the econmies of the PICs.
  • Japan is using money to "buy" the good will of naive PICs and then dominate their economies.
That is the argument of the propaganda hit piece. Oh Damn!!! I forgot that the piece also said that there was a huge drama over the contaminated water release! Almost forgot.

I lost the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs press release describing the PALM10 which is what this meeting has been called, but rest assured, that'll be pretty Pro-Japanese. This is the 10th such meeting since 1997 from what I can remember.

This is from the Somoa Observer about the meeting:
Pacific leaders arrive for PALM10

This is a national paper and it describes, from the PIC point of view, what the Palm10 is, who's attending, etc.

This is Rand Corporation's take:
PALM10: Japan's Chance to Engage with Pacific Island Countries

It's a long piece, but it's really good. One could learn a lot from it by reading it. This might be on the Test!! Just saying.

Here's a very interesting piece from the Japan Times. (I couldn't find anything in any of the PIC news media that refuted it.)
Pacific island nations express concern over Fukushima water release
AVARUA, Cook Islands  

Leaders of Pacific island nations expressed strong concerns over the release of treated radioactive water from Japan's wrecked Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean during a regional summit, according to Cook Islands Prime Minister Mark Brown.

Brown, who currently chairs the Pacific Islands Forum, said Thursday there were "strong concerns" raised by "our forum leaders for the significance of potential threats of contamination to the health and security of the blue Pacific."

The bloc's 18 members have expressed differing views on the treated wastewater discharge from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, which began in late August, after extensive dialogue between the member states and Japan.
Please note that this story is from last November with interviews conducted during a PIC conference called the "Pacific Islands Forum." There really wasn't much drama there at the government level, but one can find "spontaneous street protests type D" breaking out on Islands where the Chinese have a Police presence oddly enough.

So back to the Global Times!
I wanted to highlight this academic scholar, but first a reminder that none of us will be quoted in the Global Times unless the quote supports CCP propaganda.
At this moment, Japan hopes to deepen military ties with the Pacific Island countries through this meeting, as the Pacific is a crucial location for the security of all countries, and China's growing influence has raised strong concerns for Japan and the US, Professor Yasukatsu Matsushima of the Faculty of Economics at Japan's Ryukoku University, told the Global Times.

Therefore, there is an urgent desire to bring the Pacific Island countries into the camp of the Japan-US alliance and involve them in military relationships such as the Quad mechanism made up of the US, Japan, India, and Australia, Matsushima revealed.

The ocean is crucial for the economic development and cultural beliefs of the Pacific Island countries and their main focus is on how to deal with the mishandled nuclear-contaminated water, Matsushima said.

Matsushima told the Global Times that the actions of the Japanese government cannot weaken the connections between China and the Pacific Island countries.
Who is Professor Yasukatsu Matsushima?
Here's a link to his professional bio:
Yasukatsu Matsushima

There's a list of his scholarly work, and he has all the buzz words: imperialism, colonialism, de-colonialism, the *isms are there. But if that wasn't enough, Prof. Matsushima uses the older words from Centuries ago, except for Formosa!!  "Lew Chew" and all of it's transliterate ways of spelling it. Hence, he can be quoted!!

Some of you are wondering, "what the fuck's a loochoo?" I got you covered, Bro:
A Guide to the United States' History of Recognition, Diplomatic, and Consular Relations, by Country, since 1776: Lew Chew (Loochoo)

It describes the history pretty well without using the Marxist dielectic. There's not a lot to it. The islands have been dominated by one power or another over the centuries.

Getting back to the original thesis of the Global Times story:
  •     There is no "China Threat!"
  • Japan dumped radioactive Fukushima water into the Ocean trying to kill fish and therefore the econmies of the PICs.
  • Japan is using money to "buy" the good will of naive PICs and then dominate their economies.
There's nothing there, except for the charge that Japan is doing what the PRC has been doing, and that there is a "China Threat," and if Japan thought the water was going to kill off fisheries, they would have tankered out to some other ocean. One of the reasons that Propaganda works is that the anti-propaganda is a lot of work.    

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
This is a big piece of "propaganda." In fact, it's huge! This is just one story on many types of publications saying that 'Japan is going to fail others in furtherance of its own self-interest." Now, we can say that the PRC is been doing that since the Belt and Road Initiative, as have the DNC!

What were going to look at specifically is who is being quoted in this piece. This is commie Propaganda. We can make certain assumptions like lies of omission and lies of commission. But, not everybody is a card-carrying commie!

I'm looking at the amount of background material I have, and now that my excitement has worn off, if I quoted from everything, you guys might kill me.

Out of my sense of self-preservation, I'm going to post links with a description, so you don't have to take my word for everything, but we will concentrate on one person, so you can see how this works.

Carmel's original story:
Japan unable to weaken ties between China and Pacific Island countries: analysts
The first thing we note is that even though the Global Times is part of the CCP, it's the analysts that are criticizing Japan, and they're all scholarly people; therefore above reproach.
The crux of the Global Times story is that the attempt of Japanese diplomacy to coerce naive Pacific Island Countries has failed due to the following reasons:
  • There is no "China Threat!"
  • Japan dumped radioactive Fukushima water into the Ocean trying to kill fish  and therefore the econmies of the PICs.
That is the argument of the propaganda hit piece. Oh Damn!!! I forgot that the piece also said that there was a huge drama over the contaminated water release! Almost forgot.

I lost the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs press release describing the PALM10 which is what this meeting has been called, but rest assured, that'll be pretty Pro-Japanese. This is the 10th such meeting since 1997 from what I can remember.

This is from the Somoa Observer about the meeting:
Pacific leaders arrive for PALM10

This is a national paper and it describes, from the PIC point of view, what the Palm10 is, who's attending, etc.

This is Rand Corporation's take:
PALM10: Japan's Chance to Engage with Pacific Island Countries

It's a long piece, but it's really good. One could learn a lot from it by reading it. This might be on the Test!! Just saying.

Here's a very interesting piece from the Japan Times. (I couldn't find anything in any of the PIC news media that refuted it.)
Pacific island nations express concern over Fukushima water release
Please note that this story is from last November with interviews conducted during a PIC conference called the "Pacific Islands Forum." There really wasn't much drama there at the government level, but one can find "spontaneous street protests type D" breaking out on Islands where the Chinese have a Police presence oddly enough.

So back to the Global Times!
I wanted to highlight this academic scholar, but first a reminder that none of us will be quoted in the Global Times unless the quote supports CCP propaganda.

Who is Professor Yasukatsu Matsushima?
Here's a link to his professional bio:
Yasukatsu Matsushima

There's a list of his scholarly work, and he has all the buzz words: imperialism, colonialism, de-colonialism, the *isms are there. But if that wasn't enough, Prof. Matsushima uses the older words from Centuries ago, except for Formosa!!  "Lew Chew" and all of it's transliterate ways of spelling it. Hence, he can be quoted!!

Some of you are wondering, "what the fuck's a loochoo?" I got you covered, Bro:
A Guide to the United States' History of Recognition, Diplomatic, and Consular Relations, by Country, since 1776: Lew Chew (Loochoo)

It describes the history pretty well without using the Marxist dielectic. There's not a lot to it. The islands have been dominated by one power or another over the centuries.

Getting back to the original thesis of the Global Times story:
  •     There is no "China Threat!"
  • Japan dumped radioactive Fukushima water into the Ocean trying to kill fish and therefore the econmies of the PICs.
There's nothing there, except for the charge that Japan is doing what the PRC has been doing, and that there is a "China Threat," and if Japan thought the water was going to kill off fisheries, they would have tankered out to some other ocean. One of the reasons that Propaganda works is that the anti-propaganda is a lot of work.    

View Quote

I never liked the name Formosa but it’s warning on me. I do like Burma rather than the current dumb name
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Chinese Guard Ships were in the waters around Kinmen for 2 hours. Anybody know if the Chinese Coast Guard actually rescues people or just detain everyone they come across?

View Quote

Snicker
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:13:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#6]

Snicker
View All Quotes

Chinese Guard Ships were in the waters around Kinmen for 2 hours. Anybody know if the Chinese Coast Guard actually rescues people or just detain everyone they come across?

Snicker
Exactly.

12 hospital ships in the PLAN, and only one managed to show up to one humanitarian disaster 20 years ago. They have nice antennae arrays though.

SCORE CARD!!!!!
Taiwan tracks 12 Chinese military aircraft, 8 ships around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 12 Chinese military aircraft, seven naval ships, and one official ship around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Sunday (July 21) and 6 a.m. on Monday (July 22).

Of the 12 People's Liberation Army aircraft, five crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the country's northern and southwestern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND. One of the five aircraft, a Chinese drone, flew around Taiwan.
Check this one out!!!!!
Attachment Attached File

It's a PLAN ship that went around the island.
So far this month, the MND has tracked Chinese military aircraft 481 times and ships 159 times.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Taiwan has started the 2024 Han Kuang military exercises. I really expected more PLAAF aircraft. The PLAN ship, unmentioned as to type, was a nice touch, though. Maybe tomorrow!

Taiwan begins annual Han Kuang live-fire military exercises
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan's Armed Forces kicked off the weeklong 40th annual Han Kuang military exercise on Monday (July 22).

Military aircraft such as F-16s, IDF fighters, and C130 transport aircraft stationed at air force bases in western Taiwan began deployment to Hualien's Jiashan Air Force Base and Taitung's Chihhang Air Force Base to participate in live fire drills.

Missile vehicles and launchers were also deployed, arousing the interest of many citizens who seemed surprised by the deployment. Since the military exercise was designed to simulate real combat and operate "unscripted,"  no advanced news of military aircraft movement was made available to the public, per CNA.
View Quote
I don't remember covering this exercise last year, but this year, the exercise is constructed very much differently. In red is the difference. It's not a Command Post driven exercise. Apparently, everybody is getting a scenario card, and then it's time to "deal with it."
Exercises are intended to simulate actual combat, with no pre-rehearsals or advanced practice. Troops will be focused on verifying the rules of engagement and operating with decentralized command and control.

Other areas of emphasis include mission-based command, neutralizing the enemy, combat effectiveness verification, and night training. Other important elements include system innovation and training.
View Quote
Here's a few more stories. This next one, you can just read the paragraph titles as to what's going on:
DEFENSE/Highlights of the 2024 Han Kuang military exercises
Taipei, July 20 (CNA) Taiwan is gearing up for the annual Han Kuang military exercises slated for July 22-26, with the focus this year including unscripted combat scenarios aimed at testing troops' responses to decentralized command, updated Rules of Engagement (ROE) and nighttime operations.

The annual Han Kuang exercises, Taiwan's major war games, have been held since 1984 to test Taiwan's combat readiness in the face of a possible Chinese invasion.
View Quote
I will post this next part though and it's corresponding reasoning behind the decision from another article. But look at the articles!!!!
No live-fire drills on Taiwan proper

The Han Kuang exercises this year will not feature live-fire drills on the island of Taiwan, but troops stationed in Kinmen and Matsu will still use live ammunition during the exercises.

According to the MND, the purpose will be to reduce the chance of accidents given the unrehearsed nature of the new Han Kuang drills format and the complexity of this year's exercises.

The focus will be to allow troops and commanders to familiarize themselves with the environment they will be defending should a war break out and practice their defensive plans.
View Quote
Here's the actual reasoning:
FEATURE/Changes to annual Han Kuang defense drills cause mixed reactions

But the annual Han Kuang drills have long been criticized for being little more than a photo-op that has limited practical impact on defense preparedness.

This year, however, some major changes are expected -- prompted by President Lai Ching-te's (   ) appointment of a new defense chief who has a bold new vision for the Han Kuang exercises.

Wellington Koo (   ), the first defense minister since 2013 who is neither an active or retired general, announced in June that he will cancel most live-fire exercises that are "put up for a show or demonstration purpose only."
View Quote
Both articles are very interesting and worth a look.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Taiwan has started the 2024 Han Kuang military exercises. I really expected more PLAAF aircraft. The PLAN ship, unmentioned as to type, was a nice touch, though. Maybe tomorrow!

Taiwan begins annual Han Kuang live-fire military exercises
I don't remember covering this exercise last year, but this year, the exercise is constructed very much differently. In red is the difference. It's not a Command Post driven exercise. Apparently, everybody is getting a scenario card, and then it's time to "deal with it."
Here's a few more stories. This next one, you can just read the paragraph titles as to what's going on:
DEFENSE/Highlights of the 2024 Han Kuang military exercises
I will post this next part though and it's corresponding reasoning behind the decision from another article. But look at the articles!!!!
Here's the actual reasoning:
FEATURE/Changes to annual Han Kuang defense drills cause mixed reactions

Both articles are very interesting and worth a look.
View Quote

Saw that earlier today but guessed correctly you saw it too
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Now we come to a very important article:
DEFENSE/Han Kuang drills to test supply line resiliency in case of blockade
Taipei, July 21 (CNA) The live-fire component of Taiwan's largest annual military exercise is scheduled to begin on Monday, with a special drill dedicated to testing the nation's ability to defend critical supply lines in the event of an attempted blockade by China.

The 40th annual Han Kuang exercises will run 24/7 nationwide from July 22-26, with an emphasis on testing Taiwan's ability to protect critical infrastructure in its capital as well as to enhance the resilience of its key infrastructure nationwide, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).

But an unnamed military source familiar with this year's Han Kuang exercises told CNA on Sunday that it was also important for Taiwan to continue to receive supplies from foreign countries and deliver them nationwide should a cross-strait war break out.

The source said that a drill aimed at testing military-civilian cooperation to carry out wartime supply-delivery missions will therefore be staged at a major port in Taiwan during the five-day live-fire drills to ensure links to the outside world could remain open in the event of a Chinese blockade.

The source, however, would not name the port nor when the drill will be staged.
View Quote

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a military general told CNA that the nation's armed forces have been regularly carrying out training activities focused on protecting key harbors and ports, since Beijing would prioritize shutting down these sites during an invasion

Such protection and supply-delivery missions would involve not only the military but also the transportation ministry's Maritime and Port Bureau, Coast Guard Administration and other land transportation authorities, according to the unnamed general.

"That is why it is important to test cross-governmental cooperation in the upcoming Han Kuang exercises," the source added.
View Quote
Taiwan has their own Captain Obvious!!
Defense scholar and retired Navy captain Jiang Hsin-biao (   ) told CNA that Taiwan is heavily dependent on maritime imports of crude oil, natural gas, coal, steel and other strategic supplies.

"It is therefore important to make sure taking delivery of such key supplies would remain normal if a war broke out," he said.

Such a task is extremely complicated and involves coordination between the Navy and maritime transportation, he said, adding that Taiwan has not conducted such large-scale drills for a long period of time.
View Quote
...and he's an actual Captain!!! Not Bad.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Saw that earlier today but guessed correctly you saw it too
View Quote
I gots to find a better way. I have too many book-marked articles. Plus, my grammar sucks. I'm getting old!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#13]
There's a few stories that Carmel posted on page 35 we need to do!! This is one of them!!!

Title:
Vietnam files UN claim to extended continental shelf in South China Sea
Essentially, Vietnam, like the Philippines last month, filed with the UN a claim that their territory extends to the ends of the continental shelf.

What's the point of it all? To piss off the PRC, and it's working!!!

At least this type of claim has more logic than a magical "nine dash line" that showed up in the "Barbie" movie.

Taiwan is upset by this, but they shouldn't be:
South China Sea claims by Philippines, Vietnam 'unacceptable': MOFA

MOFA is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In this case, it's the Taiwanese MOFA.
The reason why Taiwan shouldn't be upset about it is this is a great way to get out of the squeeze play the PRC has had Taiwan in for the last 5 decades. The PRC has been arguing and threatening that Taiwan should not be part of any international conference or organization because it doesn't exist as a separate country.

Let's get some quotes:
Taipei, July 20 (CNA) Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) has called recent claims made by the Philippines and Vietnam for an extended continental shelf in the South China Sea "unacceptable."

"The actions by the Philippines and Vietnam have infringed upon our country's sovereignty and rights under international laws and maritime laws in the South China Sea," MOFA said in a press release on Friday.

The release came two days after Vietnam filed claims with the United Nations Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf (CLCS) for an extended continental shelf in the South China Sea, and more than a month after the Philippines made a similar move.

The Southeast Asian countries are seeking U.N. recognition of their claims to the continental shelf beyond the current 200 nautical miles from their shores.

MOFA said the claims made by the two nations were "unacceptable" and stressed the sovereign rights of the Republic of China (Taiwan) to its islands in the South China Sea.
All the countries that border the South China Seas have a stake in this, and they've all committed to negotiate over who actually can control a shoal, or a reef, or an islet. Even the PRC has stated they want to do this peacefully!

This would be an international conference with the UN as the referee. I don't think the PRC would be able to keep Taiwan out of this international conference! The rest of the concernced countries could actually hold it without the PRC as the claims go before a tribunal of sorts.
More quotes!!!
However, MOFA also said that Taiwan was willing to address issues related to the South China Sea with the international community "on the basis of equal consultation."
Duh!!!!
They should be a hell of a lot more enthusiastic than this! This is a big chance for all of these smaller countries to be on the same side. The Solomon Islands won't be any help to the PRC with this!!
Many countries have made territorial claims in the contested waters of the South China Sea, including China, Taiwan, the Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia.

On June 17, Beijing denounced the Philippines' submission to CLCS on June 15 for recognition of an extended continental shelf, with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China saying that Manila's claims had infringed upon China's sovereign rights.

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Score Card!!
And remember, the big exercise is still going on in Taiwan:
Taiwan tracks 18 Chinese military aircraft, 8 naval ships
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 18 Chinese military aircraft and eight naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Monday (July 22) and 6 a.m. on Tuesday (July 23).

Of the 18 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, six crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the country's northern and southwestern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

This is for the last 24 hours. The distances have slacked off. But check out the number of planes so far this month:
o far this month, the MND has tracked Chinese military aircraft 499 times and ships 167 times.
View Quote
That's a lot of planes and a lot of ships this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:54:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's an update from FEB-MAR time frame with the speed boat that got caught in Taiwanese Waters tried to get away, but had an idiot piloting the boat, and everybody calls them fishermen!!! WTF!!!!!!! Nobody fishes from a speed boat, and they didn't have any fishing gear with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taiwan-China negotiations over Kinmen speedboat incident set for Wednesday
As always there more to the story:
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) will meet with Chinese authorities in Kinmen on Wednesday (July 24) to discuss a speedboat crash that occurred in February, killing two Chinese fishers.  

The MAC issued a press release on Tuesday (July 23) that said both sides had agreed to meet at Kinmen's Golden Lake Hotel on Wednesday morning to continue negotiations over the incident. "We look forward to completing the proper handling of related issues," the press release said.
View Quote

Kinmen County Legislator Chen Yu-jen (   ) said in a Facebook post that a consensus is expected to be signed between both sides during the meeting. She said the meeting was the result of communication efforts from all parties.

Chen expressed optimism that an agreement between both sides regarding the speedboat incident may also result in a Taiwanese fisher being returned from China's custody. She also suggested it may mean the resumption of Chinese tourism to Kinmen.
View Quote

China has blamed Taiwan's government for the deaths of the fishers in February. The Taiwan Coast Guard said that the officers involved in the incident acted according to protocol.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Look at all the god-damned fishing gear floating everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/taiwan-war-games-typhoon-gaemi-b2584334.html

Taiwan says will continue despite weather
View All Quotes
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/taiwan-war-games-typhoon-gaemi-b2584334.html

Taiwan says will continue despite weather
In line with Carmel's post...Score Card!!!
Taiwan tracks 22 Chinese military aircraft, 10 ships around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 22 Chinese military aircraft, nine naval vessels, and one official ship around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Tuesday (July 23) and 6 a.m. on Wednesday (July 24).

Of the 22 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, 12 crossed the Taiwan Strait median line and entered the country's southwestern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
Attachment Attached File

Winds are coming in from the East. They're at F1 sliding into F2ish. For the Exercise, Taiwanese aircraft were moved from the West into the East, then their part in the exercise was cancelled due to the winds.
So far this month, the MND has tracked Chinese military aircraft 521 times and ships 177 times.
They've never sortied this many aircraft or ships in a month, and the month is not over. STILL, to put it all into perspective, we would have that many aircraft on the ranges in a single afternoon for a Red Flag at Nellis.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
“Today’s Intrusion by Chinese H-6 “Badger” Strategic Bombers near the Aleutian Island Chain off the Coast of Alaska, is the First Incident ever where an Aircraft of the Chinese Air Force entered the Alaskan Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ). After being Detected, the Bombers were Intercepted by U.S. Air Force F-16s and F-35s from Joint Base Elmendorf–Richardson, alongside CF-18s with the Canadian Air Force who are also Stationed at Elmendorf under NORAD Air Defense Command.

A Squadron of Canadian CF-18s arrived at Elmendorf a few weeks ago, to assist with NORAD Operations over Alaska.”

Looks like we are beefing up Alaska’s defenses.  It’s a big deal that this is the first time the Chinese have sent their Strategic Bombers that close to Alaska.

More info on it: https://www.airandspaceforces.com/norad-fighters-intercept-russian-chinese-bombers-near-alaska/
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:
“Today’s Intrusion by Chinese H-6 “Badger” Strategic Bombers near the Aleutian Island Chain off the Coast of Alaska, is the First Incident ever where an Aircraft of the Chinese Air Force entered the Alaskan Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ). After being Detected, the Bombers were Intercepted by U.S. Air Force F-16s and F-35s from Joint Base Elmendorf–Richardson, alongside CF-18s with the Canadian Air Force who are also Stationed at Elmendorf under NORAD Air Defense Command.

A Squadron of Canadian CF-18s arrived at Elmendorf a few weeks ago, to assist with NORAD Operations over Alaska.”

Looks like we are beefing up Alaska’s defenses.  It’s a big deal that this is the first time the Chinese have sent their Strategic Bombers that close to Alaska.

More info on it: https://www.airandspaceforces.com/norad-fighters-intercept-russian-chinese-bombers-near-alaska/
View All Quotes

Add to that there were Chinese warships in the area 2 weeks ago and doubtlessly still prowling around out here.
Three vessels were detected about 124 miles north of the Amchitka Pass in the Aleutian Islands, and a fourth ship was spotted about 84 miles north of the state's Amukta Pass.
https://www.nationalfisherman.com/chinese-warships-prompted-coast-guard-response

In early July, a fleet of four Chinese warships transited international waters within the U.S. EEZ around the Aleutian Islands. According to Nathaniel Herz, reporting for the Northern Journal, U.S. commercial fishermen observer the 418-foot, Legend Class, Coast Guard cutter, Kimball steaming through the area at 21 knots. “It turned out the Kimball was in hot pursuit of four Chinese ships, including a destroyer and a guided-missile cruiser,” reports Herz.

Herz notes that there was some communication between the Chinese vessels and the Coast Guard. “This is the China Navy Task Group. I noticed you are close to us; please maintain safe distance to avoid collision,” the Chinese reportedly radioed to the U.S. ship.

According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the Kimball and an American HC-130 Hercules plane shadowed the Chinese vessels for more than 12 hours as they transited the Aleutians. Herz reports that at one point the Coast Guard warned the Chinese of unprofessional behavior after detecting a possible drone.

“The Chinese naval presence operated in accordance with international rules and norms,” said Rear Adm. Megan Dean, Seventeenth Coast Guard District commander. “We met presence with presence to ensure there were no disruptions to U.S. interests in the maritime environment around Alaska.”

According to the Chinese, their ships were conducting a “Freedom of Navigation Operation,” similar to operations exercised by U.S. warships in international waters near China.

“The Coast Guard, in coordination with U.S. Northern Command, was fully aware of and tracked the Chinese naval presence,” says the Coast Guard’s July 9 press release. “In September of 2021 and 2022, Coast Guard cutters deployed in the Bering Sea also encountered Chinese surface action groups.”

The Honolulu-based Kimball patrolled under Operation Frontier Sentinel, a Coast Guard operation designed to meet presence with presence when strategic competitors operate in and around U.S. waters.

For some observers the Chinese missile cruisers were a wake-up call. China has signaled its intention to play a significant role in the region as a “near Arctic State,” and is currently a signatory to the Central Arctic Ocean Fisheries Agreement, which establishes a moratorium on commercial fishing in the Arctic Ocean until 2037.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
CNN writes and publishes a story titled:
Beijing and Manila made a deal in the South China Sea. But they're already at odds over what was agreed

An interim deal to smooth deliveries to Philippine marines marooned on a ship at a hotly disputed reef in the South China Sea appears to be in doubt after Manila and Beijing gave opposing accounts over what they had agreed to.
Following de-escalation talks, Manila and Beijing both said they had reached a "provisional arrangement" on the resupply of necessities to Philippine marines stationed aboard the BRP Sierra Madre   without either side conceding their maritime claims.

But analysts were skeptical about whether the temporary deal would hold after the two sides provided conflicting details of what their agreement entails.
We previously learned that an attempt at "de-escalation" would be attempted. (that's such a bull shit word/concept.)
Neither Manila nor Beijing has released the text of the temporary agreement reached on Sunday to cool tensions at the reef, known as Ayungin Shoal in the Philippines and Ren'ai Jiao in China, which is located about 200 kilometers (125 miles) from the Philippine island of Palawan.

A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Monday that Beijing had agreed to allow Manila to resupply its personnel on the Sierra Madre with living necessities "in a humanitarian spirit."

Those resupply missions could only take place "if the Philippines informs China in advance and after on-site verification is conducted," spokesperson Mao Ning told a regular news briefing.

"China will monitor the entire resupply process," she added.

Those remarks met pushback in Manila.

The Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said in a statement on X that the country would continue to assert its rights in the South China Sea, noting the provisional agreement with Beijing had been reached "without compromising national positions."

Therefore, the Chinese statement "regarding prior notification and on-site confirmation is inaccurate," the DFA said.

The Philippines made the deal in good faith, was ready to implement it, and urged China to do the same, the statement added.
Getting back to 2tired2run's post on page 35 post #46, we learned that the US was going to be involved in some manner of the next resupply to the ship.
This is from the current article:
In remarks at the Aspen Security Forum on July 19, US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan said the United States would "continue to support the Philippines and stand behind them as they take steps" to resupply the Sierra Madre.

"The most important thing right now is to see de-escalation and to see the ability of the Philippines to do resupplies. We believe that is achievable, and we're going to drive to make that happen," Sullivan said.
So...the meeting between the PRC and the Republic of the Philippines was the "support" the US was offering? It's sort of looking like it, but we won't know for sure until the next resupply mission.

The article brings up this point, but from a different perspective:
Analysts have cast doubt on whether the temporary deal between Manila and Beijing will ever be implemented.

Gregory Poling, director of the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative, said both sides may have withheld the written details to allow them to save face   and their differing interpretations could undermine the agreement.

"We'll only know for sure when we see how China reacts to the next Philippine resupply mission," he said.

"If the resupply gets through unmolested despite the fact that the Philippines certainly won't tell China in advance or allow any inspection of the cargo, then that will be a victory for Manila's strategy over the last two years. And it will certainly be a relief to the United States."
and
Derek Grossman, a senior defense analyst at the US-based RAND Corporation think tank, said the deal did not address the underlying territorial disputes and appeared to have failed before it had even started.

"The China-Philippines deal is already falling apart, probably because Beijing wishes to keep the appearance of diplomatic engagement while continuing to uphold its bottom line interests   a low-risk and highly effective strategy," he said.
Neither of them brought up the US. That would mean that the US, from their perspectives, is not involved in this.

I'm still parsing out this quote here:
What's at stake?

The resource-rich South China Sea is widely seen as a potential flashpoint for global conflict, and Western observers say tensions could erupt if China, a global power, decides to act more forcefully against the Philippines, a US treaty ally.

Washington and Manila are bound by a mutual defense treaty signed in 1951 that remains in force, stipulating that both sides would help defend each other if either were attacked by a third party.

The US is not a claimant to the South China Sea, but says the waters are crucial to its national interest of guaranteeing free passage through seas worldwide.

The US Navy regularly conducts freedom of navigation operations (FONOPs) in the South China Sea, saying the US is "defending every nation's right to fly, sail, and operate wherever international law allows."

Beijing denounces such operations as illegal.
In red is how you know you're dealing wtih Leftists. The entire conflict is over-simplified so that any idiot marxist can understand it.

In blue is how you simplify the History of the USN, and its Seven Seas Fleets, into just a mere talking point. I could be too harsh in my assessment, but it's CNN.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Not sure if anyone reads AsiaTimes but if you never heard of it it's a China mouthpiece replete with China weapons kick USA articles. I rarely read their over the top shit

https://asiatimes.com/2024/07/chinas-electronic-warfare-surge-shocks-us-in-south-china-sea/
View All Quotes
Not sure if anyone reads AsiaTimes but if you never heard of it it's a China mouthpiece replete with China weapons kick USA articles. I rarely read their over the top shit

https://asiatimes.com/2024/07/chinas-electronic-warfare-surge-shocks-us-in-south-china-sea/
And over the top it is!!!!!!     you get the point.

First, let's start with this. It really is something:
SCMP says that in December 2023, the US Navy dismissed William Coulter, commander of US Electronic Attack Squadron 136 (VAQ-136), stationed on the USS Carl Vinson, citing a loss of confidence in his ability to command.

The report says that a month later, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) recognized the Nanchang's crew for their actions against a US carrier fleet. It also notes that Chinese media highlighted an encounter involving an EA-18G, believed to be from Coulter's squadron, and the Nanchang cruiser.
Obviously, " William Coulter, commander of US Electronic Attack Squadron 136 (VAQ-136)" failed President Biden during "an encounter involving an EA-18G, believed to be from Coulter's squadron, and the Nanchang cruiser."

Oh, did I mention that it's another Gabriel Honrada story?

Maybe the CCP doesn't believe that our officers will fuck or try to fuck some really ugly women? It's possible they just can't come to terms with that fact. But we know.
We live in a Universe filled with possibilities.

Anyway, the story is filled with "killwebs" that are both kenetic and non-kenitic, and that a bunch of other stuff that might be true to some extent, but it's mostly like reading marketing copy.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#24]
And over the top it is!!!!!!     you get the point.

First, let's start with this. It really is something:
Obviously, " William Coulter, commander of US Electronic Attack Squadron 136 (VAQ-136)" failed President Biden during "an encounter involving an EA-18G, believed to be from Coulter's squadron, and the Nanchang cruiser."

Oh, did I mention that it's another Gabriel Honrada story?

Maybe the CCP doesn't believe that our officers will fuck or try to fuck some really ugly women? It's possible they just can't come to terms with that fact. But we know.
We live in a Universe filled with possibilities.

Anyway, the story is filled with "killwebs" that are both kenetic and non-kenitic, and that a bunch of other stuff that might be true to some extent, but it's mostly like reading marketing copy.

View Quote

There’s even more of their bullshit articles since that one but I figured I’d throw that one in the thread because India news ran with it for some reason
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
I don't know, maybe it's better that this story is behind a paywall.

Here's the title:
US, China, Philippines Are Careening Toward a South China Sea Crisis
It was written by Craig "van Winkle" Singleton. Welcome to the party.

Last November's summit between U.S. President Joe Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping in Woodside, California, was hailed as a harbinger of progress in stabilizing a superpower relationship that was spiraling toward conflict. Yet more than eight months later, it's evident that leader-to-leader engagement merely extended the illusion of constructive bilateral engagement reinforcing, rather than reversing, the declining trend lines in the U.S.-China relationship.

I like the subtitle:
A failure of deterrence risks pushing the region into deeper conflict.
I can't tell if this guy thinks there is some sort of deterrence policy going on besides the 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty or he thinks that a deterrence policy should be stated?
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:26:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#26]
View All Quotes
Damn! Another pay wall!!!

This one looks juicy too!!
Here's the subtitle:
Senate has issued an arrest warrant for Alice Guo as it investigates her role in 'love scam'
Attachment Attached File

The mayor of a small town in the Philippines accused of being a Chinese spy is being hunted by authorities after failing to turn up to Senate hearings investigating scams run by offshore gambling operators...
We covered part of this overall story earlier. This is a continuation of the "PLA uniforms found in a POGO warehouse" story.
Yeah, she's guilty.
Alice Guo, the mayor of Bamban, claimed she faced 'character assassination' at senate hearings
I'm going to give her some credit here. She went for 'character assassination' as the excuse for not showing up. It's a much better excuse than what i used to hear in the Air Force from women who wanted the night off from the shift. Did you guys know that some women can menstruate at least two times a month? Well, they can in your United States Air Force!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#27]
"Today's Intrusion by Chinese H-6 "Badger" Strategic Bombers near the Aleutian Island Chain off the Coast of Alaska, is the First Incident ever where an Aircraft of the Chinese Air Force entered the Alaskan Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ). After being Detected, the Bombers were Intercepted by U.S. Air Force F-16s and F-35s from Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson, alongside CF-18s with the Canadian Air Force who are also Stationed at Elmendorf under NORAD Air Defense Command.

A Squadron of Canadian CF-18s arrived at Elmendorf a few weeks ago, to assist with NORAD Operations over Alaska."

Looks like we are beefing up Alaska's defenses.  It's a big deal that this is the first time the Chinese have sent their Strategic Bombers that close to Alaska.

View All Quotes
"Today's Intrusion by Chinese H-6 "Badger" Strategic Bombers near the Aleutian Island Chain off the Coast of Alaska, is the First Incident ever where an Aircraft of the Chinese Air Force entered the Alaskan Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ). After being Detected, the Bombers were Intercepted by U.S. Air Force F-16s and F-35s from Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson, alongside CF-18s with the Canadian Air Force who are also Stationed at Elmendorf under NORAD Air Defense Command.

A Squadron of Canadian CF-18s arrived at Elmendorf a few weeks ago, to assist with NORAD Operations over Alaska."

Looks like we are beefing up Alaska's defenses.  It's a big deal that this is the first time the Chinese have sent their Strategic Bombers that close to Alaska.

Attachment Attached File

Russian and Chinese bombers were intercepted off the coast of Alaska by American and Canadian fighter jets on July 24, marking a rare case in which bombers from the increasingly aligned countries simultaneously ventured near U.S. territory.

Two Russian TU-95 Bear and two Chinese H-6 strategic bombers flew into the Alaska Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ), a buffer zone in international airspace near North America, NORAD said in a statement. The event was the first time Russian and Chinese military aircraft entered the Alaska ADIZ at the same time, a U.S. defense official told Air & Space Forces Magazine. It was also the first time Chinese H-6s have encroached on the area, the official added.
Besides the amount of money and the squandering of probably hundreds of thousands lives, here's another cost, and maybe the most important cost, of The Ukraine:
Russia and China have become increasingly aligned against the United States and its allies since Russia's 2022 invasion of Ukraine.

China has bolstered Russia's military industry by providing it with microelectronics, machine tools, and other dual-use components, which have helped produce Russian weapons for its war in Ukraine. In 2023, 90 percent of Russia's microelectronics imports, critical for the production of missiles, tanks, and aircraft, came from China, according to U.S. officials.

China has also provided nitrocellulose, a compound used to make explosives, as well as satellite imagery that Moscow has used for its invasion of Ukraine. At NATO's 75th Anniversary Summit in Washington earlier this month, the 32 allies called on China to "cease all material and political support to Russia's war effort."

The U.S.'s latest Arctic Strategy, released July 22, also called out increasing Russian and Chinese military cooperation near North America. "We've seen growing cooperation between the PRC and Russia in the Arctic," Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks told reporters earlier this week, using the acronym for the People's Republic of China. She noted that China has become a "a major funder of Russian energy exploitation in the Arctic."
In red is the typically very brave "wait and see" stance many politicians, corporations and regular people like to announce publicly.

The presence of the Chinese aircraft in the U.S. Air Defense Identification Zone was not unexpected. Last August, Russia and China conducted a large naval flotilla near Alaska that was shadowed by U.S. Navy ships. And Air Force Gen. Gregory M. Guillot, the head of NORAD, told the House Armed Services Committee in March that Chinese air operations in the U.S. air defense identification zone would likely come "as early as this year."
All part of the plan.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#29]

There's even more of their bullshit articles since that one but I figured I'd throw that one in the thread because India news ran with it for some reason
View Quote
It'd be weird if they didn't!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Indian news is like a combination of Reuters / The Inquirer / anti China but pro Russia with occasional just made up unsubstantiated info. It’s like a thrift store you shop all day and find 1 good shirt and a belt if you’re lucky sometimes
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:50:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#31]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Add to that there were Chinese warships in the area 2 weeks ago and doubtlessly still prowling around out here.
Three vessels were detected about 124 miles north of the Amchitka Pass in the Aleutian Islands, and a fourth ship was spotted about 84 miles north of the state's Amukta Pass.
https://www.nationalfisherman.com/chinese-warships-prompted-coast-guard-response

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Edited out to show bottom quote...hopefully. I never know!

In early July, a fleet of four Chinese warships transited international waters within the U.S. EEZ around the Aleutian Islands. According to Nathaniel Herz, reporting for the Northern Journal, U.S. commercial fishermen observer the 418-foot, Legend Class, Coast Guard cutter, Kimball steaming through the area at 21 knots. "It turned out the Kimball was in hot pursuit of four Chinese ships, including a destroyer and a guided-missile cruiser," reports Herz.

Herz notes that there was some communication between the Chinese vessels and the Coast Guard. "This is the China Navy Task Group. I noticed you are close to us; please maintain safe distance to avoid collision," the Chinese reportedly radioed to the U.S. ship.

According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the Kimball and an American HC-130 Hercules plane shadowed the Chinese vessels for more than 12 hours as they transited the Aleutians. Herz reports that at one point the Coast Guard warned the Chinese of unprofessional behavior after detecting a possible drone.

"The Chinese naval presence operated in accordance with international rules and norms," said Rear Adm. Megan Dean, Seventeenth Coast Guard District commander. "We met presence with presence to ensure there were no disruptions to U.S. interests in the maritime environment around Alaska."

According to the Chinese, their ships were conducting a "Freedom of Navigation Operation," similar to operations exercised by U.S. warships in international waters near China.

"The Coast Guard, in coordination with U.S. Northern Command, was fully aware of and tracked the Chinese naval presence," says the Coast Guard's July 9 press release. "In September of 2021 and 2022, Coast Guard cutters deployed in the Bering Sea also encountered Chinese surface action groups."

The Honolulu-based Kimball patrolled under Operation Frontier Sentinel, a Coast Guard operation designed to meet presence with presence when strategic competitors operate in and around U.S. waters.

For some observers the Chinese missile cruisers were a wake-up call. China has signaled its intention to play a significant role in the region as a "near Arctic State," and is currently a signatory to the Central Arctic Ocean Fisheries Agreement, which establishes a moratorium on commercial fishing in the Arctic Ocean until 2037.

Welcome New Guy!!! Have a beer!!!

[color=#ff0000]
"In September of 2021 and 2022, Coast Guard cutters deployed in the Bering Sea also encountered Chinese surface action groups."
[/color]Getting everyone trained up in Artic weather. These guys think ahead. It may be aimed at us; it may be aimed at the Russians.

ETA: I can't fix this!!! It certainly doesn't look like that in the editor. Apologies.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Indian news is like a combination of Reuters / The Inquirer / anti China but pro Russia with occasional just made up unsubstantiated info. It's like a thrift store you shop all day and find 1 good shirt and a belt if you're lucky sometimes
View All Quotes

Indian news is like a combination of Reuters / The Inquirer / anti China but pro Russia with occasional just made up unsubstantiated info. It's like a thrift store you shop all day and find 1 good shirt and a belt if you're lucky sometimes
But, are you not entertained even just a little??????
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

I like the page 6 British news style pics

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#34]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_6827-3276289.jpg
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_6827-3276289.jpg
She can keep her back straight!!!! Impressive!! have a beer:
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:23:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#35]
View All Quotes
It's a National Interest piece, so i tried to keep an open mind...but that ain't happening!! Let's start with the title:
China Is Completely Obsessed with Sinking U.S. Navy Aircraft Carriers
And so is everyone else, Maya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Maya Carlin wrote this essay.)
There isn't a military staff on this Planet that doesn't believe that if they just sink a couple of carriers, the US will settle out of a War. It's best to let them keep thinking that.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has made no secret of his ambitions toward the island nation. Should a military clash begin in the region, U.S. military leadership right now would be faced with several tough choices on how to respond. One of the key decisions would be how to use the U.S. Navy's carriers. Once invulnerable floating fortresses, rapid Chinese advances in anti-access/area denial (A2/AD) capabilities leave these vessels facing new and serious risks. As thinking evolves, several theories on potential uses for carriers have begun to emerge.
Discounting "rapid Chinese advances", does anyone think that carriers are "invulnerable floating fortresses"? I mean anyone here. This is GD and all, but not even here would someone think that's true.

I'm going schizo with this:
Naval strategy in the Pacific during the Second World War relied heavily on carriers. Though these vessels remained vulnerable to shore-based threats, across the vast reaches of America's island-hopping campaign they were able to protect battle fleets and landing forces while projecting power against enemy fleets and positions.

Until the past decade or so, this is the role they would have filled in a conflict with China: sailing with impunity in the South and East China Seas, as well as the Strait of Taiwan, to rout Chinese landing forces and strike strategic locations on the mainland.

Wow. Someone never researched the Imperial Japanese Navy during WWII.

Major advances in both the quantity and quality of Chinese anti-ship missile systems have made this strategy untenable. Recent wargames projected the U.S. would lose two carriers at the outset of hostilities simply due to their presence within range of these systems. The saturation of the combat area with A2/AD systems means the Navy will be unlikely to employ carriers in their traditional role. It appears that establishment thinking has begun to understand this and to fight against the inertia of traditional plans to explore new strategies for defending Taiwan.
The USN has "lost" two carriers in wargames since the '80s. Continuously.
At some point, perhaps it will occur to these people that do this kind of thinking/writing/paid by the word activity that just maybe...that's the point of the exercise.

Thank you, Maya. We'll call you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#37]
It's a National Interest piece, so i tried to keep an open mind...but that ain't happening!! Let's start with the title:
And so is everyone else, Maya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Maya Carlin wrote this essay.)
There isn't a military staff on this Planet that doesn't believe that if they just sink a couple of carriers, the US will settle out of a War. It's best to let them keep thinking that.

Discounting "rapid Chinese advances", does anyone think that carriers are "invulnerable floating fortresses"? I mean anyone here. This is GD and all, but not even here would someone think that's true.

At some point, perhaps it will occur to these people that do this kind of thinking/writing/paid by the word activity that just maybe...that's the point of the exercise.

View Quote

I’m in the middle of dinner and didn’t add this to the post with the caveat that the National Interest is pumping a batch of these articles

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#39]

I'm in the middle of dinner and didn't add this to the post with the caveat that the National Interest is pumping a batch of these articles

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_6931-3276308.jpg
View All Quotes

I'm in the middle of dinner and didn't add this to the post with the caveat that the National Interest is pumping a batch of these articles

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_6931-3276308.jpg
"Neo-cons gonna neo-con" or "once a leftist fuck, always a leftist fuck"; Take your pick!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#40]
What a difference 30 years make!!

When we were at "university" back then, 90% to 95% of the Chinese students were always on the look out for ways to get away from their MSS minders.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Score Card!!! Remember! there's a major storm coming out of the Pacific looking to kick some ass:
Taiwan tracks 3 Chinese naval vessels around nation
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked three Chinese naval ships around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Wednesday (July 24) and 6 a.m. on Thursday (July 25).

In response, Taiwan sent naval ships and deployed coastal-based missile systems to monitor the People's Liberation Army (PLA) activity, according to the MND.  

So far this month, the MND has tracked Chinese military aircraft 521 times and ships 180 times.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#43]
So far, no score cards, just clean up from the Storm, BUT there have been a number of completed corruption trials.

Kao Hung-an exits TPP and stripped of mayoralty
(I had another version of this story bookmarked with a much better picture. Sorry.)
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Former Hsinchu Mayor Kao Hung-an (   ) said she will appeal a court ruling that sentenced her to prison for corruption Friday morning (July 26).

Hung released a video message just before 1 p.m. in which she said she would appeal the verdict handed down by Taipei District Court, per CNA. She also said she would immediately withdraw as a member of the Taiwan People's Party (TPP).

Meanwhile, the Ministry of the Interior issued a statement shortly after the ruling that said Hung would be suspended from duties as Hsinchu mayor with immediate effect. The ministry said Hung will be replaced by her former deputy Chiu Chen-yuan (   ), who is also a member of the TPP.

During the trial the court heard that Hung worked with assistants to fraudulently claim subsidies from public funds for personal use. Hung denied guilt during the trial, and claimed the charges were politically motivated.

She placed the blame on her former assistant Huang Hui-wen (   ), who admitted guilt. Prosecutors provided evidence that showed the assistant was instructed by Hung to carry out the fraud.

TPP Chair Ko Wen-je (   ) and the party's central committee had not made a comment on the ruling at press time.
View Quote
Cross-cultural behavior right there!!

Hsinchu mayor sentenced to 7 years, 4 months for corruption in Taiwan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)    Hsinchu Mayor Kao Hung-an (   ) from the Taiwan People's Party (TPP) was convicted of corruption at Taipei District Court on Friday (July 26).

The court sentenced Kao to seven years and four months in prison, barred her from running for public office for four years, and suspended her mayoral duties. The case can be appealed.

The Taipei Prosecutor's Office (TPO) also charged Kao's former assistant Huang Hui-wen (   ), former legal team director Chen Yu-kai (   ), former office director Chen Huan-yu (   ), and former public relations director Wang Yu-wen (   ) with forgery, per CNA. During the trial, Kao and Wang pleaded not guilty, while Huang, Chen, and Chen admitted guilt.

According to the TPO's indictment, Kao instructed her assistant Huang Hui-wen to falsify expense reports when claiming subsidies. Huang was allegedly directed to give the difference to Kao for personal use.

Kao claimed during the trial that she was following Huang's suggestion, which had been used previously during her tenure under former Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Lee Chun-yi (   ), per SET News. Huang asserted that Kao shifted the responsibility to her assistants once the scheme was exposed.

Chen Huan-yu testified that Kao had asked him to delete all communication records from his cell phone or destroy the phone. He also said another female assistant was instructed to delete accounting records from her computer or destroy the machine.
View Quote
We're two for two!!!!

Next one's a dude!! No blaming others!!!!!! Breath of Fresh Air!!!!!!!
Taiwan KMT legislator sentenced to 8 years, 4 months for corruption and forgery
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Kuomintang (KMT) Legislator Yen Kuan-heng (   ) was convicted of corruption and forgery at Taichung District Court on Friday (July 26).

Yen was sentenced to eight years and four months in prison for the two convictions and barred from running for public office for three years. The case is open to appeal.

The court's announcement was delayed from Thursday to Friday due to Typhoon Gaemi, per UDN.

Taichung District Prosecutor's Office (TDPO) brought charges against Yen, his wife Chen Li-ling (   ), his brother Yen Neng-hsien (   ), his assistant Lin Chin-fu (   ), and designer Chang Yu-ting (   ) in March 2023. Chen was acquitted, Lin was sentenced to six months in prison, and Chang received a four-month sentence.
View Quote
Lot's of names there!! (It's actually easy to follow.) There's actually more trials on the way with the majority of them involving KMT and TPP politicians. Perhaps this is why the KMT and TPP wanted to expand the Legislative Yuan's powers to bring the DPP President to heel as it's at this level that these politicians are being charged, tried and convicted.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Australia. mmmmmph. Not a fan. Between the bull shit gun confiscation and their even bigger shit-head response to Covid-19. I guess if I had to say something nice about the government, it's better than New Zealand was. Not really a compliment.

The People on the other hand!!!! They race cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God love 'em!!!!

Let's get to the story and see what sort of surprises Reuters has in store for us?!?!?!?!?! Always exciting!!
Title:
US military, seeking strategic advantages, builds up Australia's northern bases amid China tensions
DARWIN, July 26 (Reuters) - The U.S. military is building infrastructure in northern Australia to help it project power into the South China Sea if a crisis with China erupts, a Reuters review of documents and interviews with U.S. and Australian defence officials show.

Closer to the Philippines than Australia's east coast capital, Canberra, Darwin has long been a garrison town for the Australian Defence Force and a U.S. Marine Rotational Force that spends six months of each year there.

A few hundred kilometres to the south, RAAF Base Tindal is home to key elements of Australia's airpower, and was a temporary base for U.S. jets in recent exercises.

As northern Australia re-emerges as a strategically vital Indo-Pacific location amid rising tensions with China, the United States has quietly begun constructing hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of facilities there to support B-52 bombers, F-22 stealth fighters, and refuelling and transport aircraft - all part of a larger effort to distribute U.S. forces around the region and make them less vulnerable.
So far, not so bad, Reuters.

Tender documents show that intelligence briefing rooms, upgraded runways for bombers, warehouses, data centres and maintenance hangars are in the works. Massive fuel storage facilities are already built, officials told Reuters on a rare visit to the two northern bases.

The projects, scheduled for construction in 2024 and 2025, make northern Australia the top overseas location for U.S. Air Force and Navy construction spending, with more than $300 million set aside under the U.S. congressional defence authorisations for those years.

There is more on the horizon: The U.S. Navy in June sought contractors for projects worth up to $2 billion to build wharves, runways, fuel storage and hangars in places including Australia's Cocos Islands, and neighbouring Papua New Guinea and Timor Leste, under a program to counter China.
I don't speak Australian, but the use of the verb "to tender" to describe documents might mean the future plans to them after a couple of cans of Fosters.

First half of the story, nothing's jumping out as OMG, WTF. This might be good!!!!

China's defence ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
OMG, WTF???
I didn't know that "China's defense ministry" was involved in these US construction projects!! Seems like something important enough to have mentioned closer to the top of the article.

Australia has an Air Commodore Obvious. Let's meet him:
Air Commodore Ron Tilley, the Royal Australian Air Force director-general of capital facilities and infrastructure, confirmed Washington was paying for the facilities at Darwin and Tindal, which would support U.S. operations.

"I don't believe the U.S. would be spending all this money on our northern bases if there wasn't an arrangement in place where they could use those facilities they are funding in times of conflict," he added.
Does this add anything to our understanding to anything other than Air Commodore Ron Tilley probably got asked, in his humble opinion, a stupid question by someone he didn't find "bright"? Nope. It adds nothing to our understanding. We're all assuming that's the purpose of all the money and effort.

And no story is complete without virtue signalling:
A third of residents in the sparsely populated Northern Territory are Indigenous Australians, although they make up just 10% of Darwin's population.

Traditional Owners, as Indigenous Australians who have cultural access rights to an area of land or sea are referred to in Australia, can visit sacred sites on the bases, U.S. and Australian officials said.

Tibby Quall, 75, is among several Traditional Owners who say growing demand for defence-related housing in Darwin has led to land-clearing of forests they want protected, while rising prices have pushed Indigenous families out of the city. Despite visitation rights, he says, his family has no real voice on how the land is used. "Defence are the prominent citizens," said Quall, a military veteran.

Darwin Mayor Kon Vatskalis says his city, where a Chinese company runs the port, welcomes the economic boost as the defence presence grows, although some residents have raised concerns that hosting the U.S. military could make the city a target.

"The reality is that we are already a target: We are the most northern port in Australia, we are the city that serves the gas and oil industry," said Vatskalis, who supports the military expansion.
Don't ever change Reuters!
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I was thinking of the Indian position the other day and how they maneuver themselves and others rather duplicitiously.

Let's start with the assumption that the Indians don't like the Chinese. Simple enough.

Because of the Korean War, and the US was able to push the Chinese out of the South, India wanted good relations with the US.

In the late '60s when there was open warfare on the border between the USSR and the PRC, the USSR looked really attractive to India to the point that the Indians formed the Non-aligned Movement and aligned with the USSR especially since Nixon/Kissenger wanted to split the two most central powers of the International Communist movement, and to the Indians, it looked like the US was choosing the PRC as a friend. This would be reinforced especially during the Clinton Admin.

Now, I think we're at a point where the Indians wouldn't mind seeing War between the US and the PRC, and if their propaganda could facilitate such an event, they'd pat themselves on the back for being such players.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I was thinking of the Indian position the other day and how they maneuver themselves and others rather duplicitiously.

Let's start with the assumption that the Indians don't like the Chinese. Simple enough.

Because of the Korean War, and the US was able to push the Chinese out of the South, India wanted good relations with the US.

In the late '60s when there was open warfare on the border between the USSR and the PRC, the USSR looked really attractive to India to the point that the Indians formed the Non-aligned Movement and aligned with the USSR especially since Nixon/Kissenger wanted to split the two most central powers of the International Communist movement, and to the Indians, it looked like the US was choosing the PRC as a friend. This would be reinforced especially during the Clinton Admin.

Now, I think we're at a point where the Indians wouldn't mind seeing War between the US and the PRC, and if their propaganda could facilitate such an event, they'd pat themselves on the back for being such players.
View Quote

Yeah I never bought the sales pitch https://www.pacom.mil/Media/News/News-Article-View/Article/3532786/us-india-relationship-critical-to-free-open-indo-pacific/
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:26:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#50]
View All Quotes
Good Lord! That is laying it on pretty thick:
...Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III twice traveling to India during his tenure and the "warmth and familiarity" between the two countries.
Iyer added that the U.S. and India have reached a "transformative stage in the relationship" as the Biden administration builds upon its progress in the region.  

"This relationship is one of the top priorities for the department," Iyer said. "Our belief is that getting the U.S. and India relationship right is not just necessary, it's essential to achieving our strategy in the Indo-Pacific."

"There's a broad and deep commitment to making that happen," he said.

Defense officials have identified India as a critical strategic partner for the coming decades and one that has demonstrated growing willingness to advance a shared vision of free, open and rules-based global order.

"President Biden has described the U.S.-India relationship as being one of the most consequential for the 21st century," Iyer said.
That's a lot of frosting!!!!!
At the beginning of this Century, US Business started going to India for manufacturing because even back then, it was recognized that "it's time to leave China." That lasted all about 33 months before it was deemed "juice not worth the squeeze."
Now there's this:
U.S. and Indian officials have also welcomed the establishment of the India-U.S. Defense Acceleration Ecosystem designed to complement government ties by promoting partnerships between U.S. and Indian companies, start-up accelerators and research institutions.
Y2K all over again with line after line of useless code: GREAT!!!!

On the other hand, "Death by Call Center!"
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top