Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2020 6:35:53 PM EDT
My dad was a US citizen by birth but my mother was a resident alien. I was born in this country . My mom however is not a US citizen but a resident alien.

Does the whole birthright citizenship thing affect me? Sorry to sound like a dolt I just don't know how it works?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to go back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they married? Even if not you have a citizen father and birth in the US. The way I see it you are GTG.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to go back.
View Quote
To where? Africa? Technically my mom lived in Zambia when she came over here to learn how to fly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Son of a citizen and a lawful immigrant? No worries at all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are they married? Even if not you have a citizen father and birth in the US. The way I see it you are GTG.
View Quote
They were married at the time i came along.  They divorced many years later but reconciled and remarried. They stayed married to the day he died.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Son of a citizen and a lawful immigrant? No worries at all.
View Quote
mom was over here on a work visa.  She was taking flying training in FT Worth when they met. I think they dated a year and a half before they married. I came along in 85.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
GTFO
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I am ok with sending everyone back that is not born of two native citizens.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I assume you are referring to jus sanguinis citizenship instead of jus soli. The jus sanguinis rule is that a child born is a citizen if one parent was a US citizen and that parent was present in the US for at least 5 years, 2 of them after the age of 14.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/1f180bd009172018d52b3b328a2e9710/tenor.gif?itemid=7230247

View Quote
Bill the Butcher on Immigration

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd settle for at least one parent being a citizen if it would actually become law. Imagine an American couple traveling to China and having a kid on vacation and claiming the kid is Chinese. Insanity.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd settle for at least one parent being a citizen if it would actually become law. Imagine an American couple traveling to China and having a kid on vacation and claiming the kid is Chinese. Insanity.
View Quote

They're called anchor babies for a reason and the whole world laugh's their asses off at us because we are that damned stupid
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if the CCP  paid a US citizen to be an incubator? Should that offspring be a US citizen?

BTW this is a thing that's already happening.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Good movie you don't have to go back ....
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To where? Africa? Technically my mom lived in Zambia when she came over here to learn how to fly.
View Quote

Zambia needs good people too!
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd expect if your father was/is a US citizen when you were born, you would be a citizen. If both your mother and father were resident aliens, maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#18]
American Samoa residents are only nationals at birth, not citizens, until they take the test to become citizens.

I think a national vs citizen approach could be good for the country, require some contribution over years before a person can apply. Like a year of service (military, police, fire, government, teaching, etc), two or three years of part time service (volunteer fire fighter, national guard, etc) or 1,000 hours of qualifying volunteer service like Habitat for Humanity or shelving books at the library. Then an in-depth knowledge test and you're in.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Natural birth, OP? Or C section?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd expect if your father was/is a US citizen when you were born, you would be a citizen. If both your mother and father were resident aliens, maybe not.
View Quote
yep he was a US citizen when I was born.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top