Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I get all that, and I understand why he was obviously VERY interested in finding out the connection between himself and the memories and Deckard/Rachel ... I just don’t see how that could possibly have led to any belief on his part that me might actually be the child himself.
View Quote

Good questions.

My impression:
It depends on the extent of the memories provided to the replicant.

Rachel wasn't aware that she was a replicant.  That means that she was provided with enough memories to perceive having lived a "life" like a regular home-grown human being.

From what we were shown, it looks like the art of providing memories to replicants was pretty well refined by the time of K/Joe.  Comprehensive memories, a particular memory that was proven to be real (for someone), combined with an innate wish to "be a real boy" with a "soul" and it isn't difficult to imagine how powerful the draw would be to believe the possibility.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think it's more along the lines that K sees the birth date and thinks, "LOL, what a coincidence. If only."  

Once the realness of the memory is validated, all logical thought as to alternatives go out the window.  "You're way off baseline."
View Quote

A valid point.  K was emotionally compromised.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I thought it was even more interesting in how they sowed doubt about whether Joi was ever even real/authentic or just a program.
View Quote

Both.  If Joi was an AI, then she had the capacity to learn and develop through interaction.  I believe she was "just a program" that became more through interaction with K.  K treats her as more than a program.  He moves his feet for her as if she were corporeal and not just a hologram.  When paid a bonus for completing the "job" at the beginning, he invests in enhancing Joi's ability to experience the world.  When Joi remarks that she's just 0's and 1's, K tells her that she's more than that.  K treats Joi as a valued, cherished equal instead of as a subservient program, and Joi responds and develops accordingly.

Joi was developing and progressing from "realistic" towards "real".

When K encountered the "advertising" version of Joi, it represented the undeveloped template of the program.  In a way, it cast into sharp relief what was lost when the emanator was broken.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Luv is not a standard replicant. She's a one-off for Wallace alone. Other replicants may not be able to lie while she certainly can. She also can kill humans
replicants CAN kill themselves, as the "prequel" short films demonstrate
View Quote

Luv was to Wallace what Rachel was to Tyrell.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Watching it again.

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I get all that, and I understand why he was obviously VERY interested in finding out the connection between himself and the memories and Deckard/Rachel ... I just don’t see how that could possibly have led to any belief on his part that me might actually be the child himself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I liked the 2049 movie a lot, and my wife loved it.  Like others, I was a little apprehensive, because I loved the original Blade Runner, and was worried that 2049 would disappoint.  I think it's a fantastic sequel, and really like the story telling and the visuals.

However, there is ONE thing that bothers me, and hopefully someone can explain.

WHY does K/Joe believe that he might be Deckard & Rachel's kid?  That part never made sense to me.  Obviously I understand that he has the memories, but if he WERE the kid, how in the world would he have become a Blade Runner, who is owned by the police department?  Clearly, the police department must have purchased him from Wallace at some point.  There is ZERO explanation possible (as far as I can tell), how a human/replicant hybrid could have been BORN to Deckard/Rachel, and then somehow magically have appeared in the Police department as a purchased replicant.  Plus, EVEN IF it were somehow possible for the people protecting the child to have snuck him into an order from Wallace to the police department, why in the world would they have chosen the life of a Replicant for the child?  That would also make no sense at all, since openly being a replicant would put him at risk of violence from humans.

That's my only beef with the movie - that a smart investigator like K would never in a million years have believed that he might be the lost child, because there's no way that makes sense.

Did I miss something?
He thought the memory was his and wanted to be "special", Joi told him all the time he was "special". K was not the unique unicorn from the first film he was just an ordinary horse. If you look close at the horse sculpture it is a unicorn with the horn broken off.

The point was the inverse of the first movie K became special because he chose to, not because he was the "chosen one" like Rachel or Deckard. The majority of the themes dealt with free will or the lack of.
The sheer emotional power of the implanted memories overpowered logical deduction.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
..... since it is so obviously IMPOSSIBLE for him to be the child.
View Quote
Seriously: As the movie ended I pondered the equal liklihoods that 1) 'k' is not the child and 2) 'k' is her brother whose death was faked.  That's what bothers me so much.  Why let him lie there and die.  I expected the girl to ask of his whereabouts to be answered by her dad, "oh, he's outside dying on the steps;" and her answering "OMG, no, he' s my brother!"

What did I miss that made k being the child an impossibility?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you watch the special features a lot of the effects are real/practical. Like Nolan, Villeneuve likes real over CG.

I saw it in IMAX three times, it is easily the most visually impressive movie I've seen.
View Quote
I'm so jealous. I had to wait a few weeks, and because the movie bombed, they quickly pulled it out of my nearby IMAX. So I missed that train.

Still LOVED the movie, and the 2+ hrs flew by, but I would have loved to see it on IMAX.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One effect I was pleasantly surprised about was Rachael. She didn't look fake like Princess Lea in "Rogue One". Excellent job by the effects team.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw it in the theatre (something I rarely do) and this weekend i rented it to watch again (something I've seldom ever done).

I would agree. I actually like it as much as the first and that is saying something. The CG was well integrated without being overwhelming like Transformers 7. The story was there, but left bits for you have to actually think on.
One effect I was pleasantly surprised about was Rachael. She didn't look fake like Princess Lea in "Rogue One". Excellent job by the effects team.
It was a fine thing to reproduce a Sean Young at the peak of her finestness.  I recall about 15 years ago thinking that if CG got better, one day everybody in SAG will be voice artists. :)  Looks like that ain't to far off.

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't remember anything about being terminated for failing a baseline.

But if so, it seemed the Chief was pretty attached to K. So you could say she error'd on her friendship with the Replicant and trusted his ability to not turn on her.
View Quote
She propositioned him.

So yeah...
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm so jealous. I had to wait a few weeks, and because the movie bombed, they quickly pulled it out of my nearby IMAX. So I missed that train.

Still LOVED the movie, and the 2+ hrs flew by, but I would have loved to see it on IMAX.
View Quote
IMAX was about as good as it could have been. The most visually stunning thing I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm glad more people have taken an interest in Luv.
I totally got her after it was explained in the appendices that she was described as designed with a 12 year girl's mind, and was given no memories.

Her calmly directing fire on the San Diego mouth breathers while getting her nails done: Awesome.

Also, the pilots in the three spinners that K took down,,, especially the two he shot,,,, were they human or replicant?
Were the thugs in Las Vegas,,, including the rogue LAPD cop,,, were they human or replicant?

K didn't hesitate to kill any of them, and all this happened after he was off his Baseline.

As far as Luv killing humans, I got the impression she never had a Baseline.

Jay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Luv is not a standard replicant. She's a one-off for Wallace alone. Other replicants may not be able to lie while she certainly can. She also can kill humans
Was she? I didn’t know that. I was under the impression she was a standard Replicant whom stood out for one reason or another and Wallace took note. Something like when a product rolls of the production line and the unit for some reason performed better.
I totally got her after it was explained in the appendices that she was described as designed with a 12 year girl's mind, and was given no memories.

Her calmly directing fire on the San Diego mouth breathers while getting her nails done: Awesome.

Also, the pilots in the three spinners that K took down,,, especially the two he shot,,,, were they human or replicant?
Were the thugs in Las Vegas,,, including the rogue LAPD cop,,, were they human or replicant?

K didn't hesitate to kill any of them, and all this happened after he was off his Baseline.

Jay
Luv is a souped up special model who is brim full of emotion. I know she trembled at the thought of displeasing Wallace. I expect he had total control over her, so standard baseline tests were forgone for her.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The sheer emotional power of the implanted memories overpowered logical deduction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I liked the 2049 movie a lot, and my wife loved it.  Like others, I was a little apprehensive, because I loved the original Blade Runner, and was worried that 2049 would disappoint.  I think it's a fantastic sequel, and really like the story telling and the visuals.

However, there is ONE thing that bothers me, and hopefully someone can explain.

WHY does K/Joe believe that he might be Deckard & Rachel's kid?  That part never made sense to me.  Obviously I understand that he has the memories, but if he WERE the kid, how in the world would he have become a Blade Runner, who is owned by the police department?  Clearly, the police department must have purchased him from Wallace at some point.  There is ZERO explanation possible (as far as I can tell), how a human/replicant hybrid could have been BORN to Deckard/Rachel, and then somehow magically have appeared in the Police department as a purchased replicant.  Plus, EVEN IF it were somehow possible for the people protecting the child to have snuck him into an order from Wallace to the police department, why in the world would they have chosen the life of a Replicant for the child?  That would also make no sense at all, since openly being a replicant would put him at risk of violence from humans.

That's my only beef with the movie - that a smart investigator like K would never in a million years have believed that he might be the lost child, because there's no way that makes sense.

Did I miss something?
He thought the memory was his and wanted to be "special", Joi told him all the time he was "special". K was not the unique unicorn from the first film he was just an ordinary horse. If you look close at the horse sculpture it is a unicorn with the horn broken off.

The point was the inverse of the first movie K became special because he chose to, not because he was the "chosen one" like Rachel or Deckard. The majority of the themes dealt with free will or the lack of.
The job he was designed for,,, I wonder if maybe K / Blade Runners should have been made with no memories like Luv was, but with a more mature mind than Luv, so they didn't act like petulant little 12 year olds.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you watch the special features a lot of the effects are real/practical. Like Nolan, Villeneuve likes real over CG.

I saw it in IMAX three times, it is easily the most visually impressive movie I've seen.

I would love to see a director's cut, where the hour and a half that was edited out, is edited back in.
I could only see Villeneuve doing that if he was talked into it.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but Rachel did not know what she was. Luv did.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would love to see a director's cut, where the hour and a half that was edited out, is edited back in.

Jay
View Quote
I think the current version is perfect. I'd be afraid of watching it, like Apocalypse Now's DC that was obvious why they needed to cut that from the original. lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Both.  If Joi was an AI, then she had the capacity to learn and develop through interaction.  I believe she was "just a program" that became more through interaction with K.  K treats her as more than a program.  He moves his feet for her as if she were corporeal and not just a hologram.  When paid a bonus for completing the "job" at the beginning, he invests in enhancing Joi's ability to experience the world.  When Joi remarks that she's just 0's and 1's, K tells her that she's more than that.  K treats Joi as a valued, cherished equal instead of as a subservient program, and Joi responds and develops accordingly.

Joi was developing and progressing from "realistic" towards "real".

When K encountered the "advertising" version of Joi, it represented the undeveloped template of the program.  In a way, it cast into sharp relief what was lost when the emanator was broken.
View Quote
How about this: she is both an AI and a program.  Thousands or millions of initially identical AIs with the ability to learn and customize themselves, but with pre-programmed tendencies and preferences.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Jay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jay
He already said there's no director cuts to edit back in. he says when he edits, its gone forever.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Seriously: As the movie ended I pondered the equal liklihoods that 1) 'k' is not the child and 2) 'k' is her brother whose death was faked.  That's what bothers me so much.  Why let him lie there and die.  I expected the girl to ask of his whereabouts to be answered by her dad, "oh, he's outside dying on the steps;" and her answering "OMG, no, he' s my brother!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, for one- we know he had memories that were implanted from Deckard's daughter. Also, if he was born, he was born with actual replicant powers per se, like superhuman speed, strength, reflexes and ability to absorb punishment. There is a scene in the spinner where he awakes from a 'standby' mode, as if he was sleeping on a long flight...

Dude he is a replicant. No question.

ETA, I am not even sure that Sapper 'allows' himself to be killed by K, as stated in the film.

K, visibly and very effectively fucks his shit up because he is a replicant designed to retire other replicants.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well, for one- we know he had memories that were implanted from Deckard's daughter. Also, if he was born, he was born with actual replicant powers per se, like superhuman speed, strength, reflexes and ability to absorb punishment. There is a scene in the spinner where he awakes from a 'standby' mode, as if he was sleeping on a long flight...

Dude he is a replicant. No question.
View Quote
Plus he plowed through a marble tiled wall at full gallop at Deckard's place.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, the tipping point from suspicion to belief was the toy horse.  A true replicant wouldn't have real childhood memories, because they were never children.  So finding something real from a childhood memory made him think he had a childhood.

As to what planted that thought in the first place, it could have been the very real nature of the memory itself.  The woman that created it didn't make it up, it was the real deal, and it probably stood apart from other memories and felt more real (since it was).  He was looking for the offspring of a human and a replicant...he had a childhood memory that felt more real than any other...and he verified the memory was real.

I feel like I've repeated myself like 5 times, and if so, it's just 'cause I'm working my way through it.  It's been a while since I saw it...I'm really looking forward to watching it again, now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Picked up the DVD from redbox with a coupon not really knowing what to expect. Wasn't a huge fan of the original but thought it was a solid movie so I watched it again not too long ago in anticipation of this movie but missed it in the theaters. I really enjoyed it and the more I think about it I think I liked it better than the original. I had no idea how long it was until I paused it to go grab something and saw the total time. Had that not happened I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

After reading this thread I feel like I need to watch it at least a time or two more with no distractions this time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:10:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How about this: she is both an AI and a program.  Thousands or millions of initially identical AIs with the ability to learn and customize themselves, but with pre-programmed tendencies and preferences.
View Quote
...and?

Part of the meaning of the Blade Runner movies is the idea that at some point the line between "realistic" and "real" can become so fine that there might not be much difference.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:18:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Watching it again.

https://i.redd.it/xpxebelg79801.jpg
View Quote
Loves any man’s $$$$$ equally
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Actually it makes sense that he was a weaker replicant.  The strong replicants are becoming an issue, killing humans.  You don't want to send and waste human lives so you build a weaker replicant that if it/he dies wasn't as big of a loss.

Personally I loved the movie and I saw the original in the theaters and loved it too.  One of the few sequels I'm happy I purchased.
View Quote
Using that logic, this would have been the best choice to take out Roy:

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...and?

Part of the meaning of the Blade Runner movies is the idea that at some point the line between "realistic" and "real" can become so fine that there might not be much difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and?

Exactly.

The book Blade Runner was based on was even called "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" which is more or less the entire point as I see it, the movies ask the same kind of question in other ways but the questions are always there: If we create things that can mimic emotional responses at what point does it quit being mimicry?  If the things we create have emotions, and dream, aren't they alive? If they're alive can we really treat them as "wetware" machines? Basically, at what point can something we created in our own image actually be considered, for all intents and purposes, human?

And with the second one they turn it up to 11 with the big holy shit question: If the living things that we created in our own image can procreate then where does that leave us?

At it's core Blade Runner is about questioning what it means to be human.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Jay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jay
Shit, an hour and a half? I felt like there were gaps in th film. I’d like that hour and a half.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:01:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good questions.

My impression:

Rachel wasn't aware that she was a replicant.  That means that she was provided with enough memories to perceive having lived a "life" like a regular home-grown human being.

From what we were shown, it looks like the art of providing memories to replicants was pretty well refined by the time of K/Joe.  Comprehensive memories, a particular memory that was proven to be real (for someone), combined with an innate wish to "be a real boy" with a "soul" and it isn't difficult to imagine how powerful the draw would be to believe the possibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good questions.

My impression:

Totally agree with this ^

I also think he was infused with that memory for psychological reasons because of the job he was meant to do. It might've been a standard memory implanted in bladerunners to build a sense of fortitude to accomplish difficult tasks.  The depravity of that childhood would also make you feel better about you current situation and life....you may be an underappreciated, killing slave that lives in a shit heap, but it's much better than your childhood.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:13:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I misremembering, or didn't Freysa (replicant rebel leader) tell K that duplicate memories from the girl were made, modified for gender, and distributed, so that all replicants could be "recruited" as well as confusing pursuers who might analyze the memory?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dude he (K) is a replicant. No question.

ETA, I am not even sure that Sapper 'allows' himself to be killed by K, as stated in the film.

K, visibly and very effectively fucks his shit up because he is a replicant designed to retire other replicants.
View Quote
That was my impression.  Later, when Freysa says Sapper "allowed himself to be killed", I was thinking whoa, it didn't look that way to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That was my impression.  Later, when Freysa says Sapper "allowed himself to be killed", I was thinking whoa, it didn't look that way to me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sapper was a soldier model. He knew he could not win a battle with K. He also knew he was going to be retired, there, or back where he'd be taken.  He decided it was better to die at K's hand instead of potentially exposing knowledge he had of of the rebels. He was an old model. His being able to even live this secret life as a farmer might've raised suspicions with Wallace and Co.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:58:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The fact that the police department clearly purchased him from Wallace to work as a Blade Runner who specializes in killing/retiring replicants.

If he were the actual child, there is simply no way he could have been owned by Wallace and sold to the police department.
View Quote
remember though, in BR memory is unreliable because it is potentially artificial, and joe is aware of that.  is it really such a stretch for his memory to be wiped and replaced with a generic replicant backstory, prior to his repurposing as a valuable commodity by a cold, heartless corporation that bemoans its inability to meet demand?

i'm not making the claim that this is the case, but it would be a viable train of thought for joe, especially in his unbalanced state.  memory is the foundation of identity (PKD was big on that theme), so the malleability of memory is a source of profound instability--hence joe's poor baseline performance.

i get why it bugs you, but i think you're reasoning it from the outside rather than looking at it through joe's eyes.  roy batty might have something to say about that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The fact that the police department clearly purchased him from Wallace to work as a Blade Runner who specializes in killing/retiring replicants.

If he were the actual child, there is simply no way he could have been owned by Wallace and sold to the police department.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody said he was stable...obviously, he followed a long tradition of a replicant going off the rails...hence the baseline tests.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
How much of that would he really remember? And if they were able to fuck with the DNA records, seems like they could fuck with any receipts/in-processing paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it was so much of Sapper allowing himself to be killed as just not allowing himself to be brought in, which implies escape or death. Given the skill set of the Blade Runners, escape would be unlikely.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#38]
That edit annoys the fuck out of me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Little Pone and I saw it in the theater. Was really good. Loved both of them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Luv is a souped up special model who is brim full of emotion. I know she trembled at the thought of displeasing Wallace. I expect he had total control over her, so standard baseline tests were forgone for her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was she? I didn't know that. I was under the impression she was a standard Replicant whom stood out for one reason or another and Wallace took note. Something like when a product rolls of the production line and the unit for some reason performed better.

Jay
Can someone explain the significance of Wallace cutting down the fresh Luv replicant?  I just didn't get the point unless it was simply to be cruel.

Loved 2049.  Better than the original.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw it as a way to show K was "human" despite being a replicant. What is a more human trait than to deceive oneself about reality when it suits our deepest desires.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Can someone explain the significance of Wallace cutting down the fresh Luv replicant?  I just didn't get the point unless it was simply to be cruel.

View Quote
To establish his indifference to his creations (and his danger as a villain).  Wallace sees them as things, to be discarded like a used tissue on a whim.   As to that particular scene, I took it as a "another failure... back the drawing board" moment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was she? I didn't know that. I was under the impression she was a standard Replicant whom stood out for one reason or another and Wallace took note. Something like when a product rolls of the production line and the unit for some reason performed better.

Jay

Because he can. It's a sacrifice. To his godliness. A bringer of life and death.

Before, Tyrell was still under the coercion of the government. He had a healthy respect for it. Perhaps more of an equal footing outlook since  he provided a useful service to the state. More of a cooperative effort.

In this one, it seems to have flipped. Wallace is allowed indulgences. For things he's done to keep things going since the revolution. one of the shorts goes into it a bit. He came up  with  solutions. The government provides.

It also can explain his ability to escape any retribution when Luv kills the Police Chief. And also the coroner tech death without repercussion. Allowances are made as long as Wallace doesn't go too far. Little people are disposable. Luv knows this well.

The government's perception is a willingness to allow things because of what the corporation provides. Wallace's outlook is more of a contempt. He exercises a certain latitude of control with the government.

As was suggested a little earlier, this might be reflected in the personas of the two replicants who are  closest to their makers. Tyrell and Rachel. Niander and Luv. Reflections of their deeper selves.

My take on it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jay

She wasn't a fresh Luv model - she was his most recent attempt to make a replicant that could breed. He knew from the diagnostics he did with the little floating eye stones that he had failed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Using that logic, this would have been the best choice to take out Roy:

https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/tumblr_oeyahemt6k1uofr2ko5_r2_500.gif?w=806
View Quote
LOL, right
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

To establish his indifference to his creations (and his danger as a villain).  Wallace sees them as things, to be discarded like a used tissue on a whim.   As to that particular scene, I took it as a "another failure... back the drawing board" moment.
View Quote
Yeah. Sort of like a blemished part coming off the injection molding machine. It gets tossed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't think it was so much of Sapper allowing himself to be killed as just not allowing himself to be brought in, which implies escape or death. Given the skill set of the Blade Runners, escape would be unlikely.
View Quote
This is exactly how I took it as well. Not that he could have won, just that he (Sapper) chose death rather than being brought in and risking compromise. He is a hero figure, as is K/Joe in the end.

Watch the fight scene again and you will see that K/Joe is not at a disadvantage - he is extremely fast and very strong. When he is beating Sapper into submission he hits far beyond what any normal could - the sound and the force portrayed are impressive. In addition he tells Sapper not to get up and even though Sapper can barely stand - he eventually does and K/Joe shoots him.

I thought that first scene with K/Joe and Sapper was very well done. You really wonder if K/Joe is an idiot the way he casually puts his pistol on the table and puts himself at a disadvantage while at the same time making sure Sapper knows why he is there. In my mind I was thinking - this guy is going to get killed! Then the fight starts and after a few seconds we can see why he was so confident in his abilities. Confident in the same way Roy Batty was.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah. Sort of like a blemished part coming off the injection molding machine. It gets tossed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a ritual. He soothed it's fear before he killed it. And he held her while she died. And the choice of how to cause her death wasn't a quick one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. In many ways Wallace is the least human and most evil character in the movie.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It was a ritual. He soothed it's fear before he killed it. And he held her while she died. And the choice of how to cause her death wasn't a quick one.
View Quote
Well again, that is the beauty of the film. It didn't decide for us, it lets the audience draw their own conclusions on many things,
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top